Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:35:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  General "Not In This Lifetime... Tour" thread *1st POST UPDATE NOV 30*
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 119 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General "Not In This Lifetime... Tour" thread *1st POST UPDATE NOV 30*  (Read 515622 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #440 on: February 16, 2016, 01:59:41 PM »

**Also, I wouldn't be surprised if DJ, well aware of the upcoming reunion/regrouping, was allowed by Axl and management to draft a resignation letter out of respect for both his standing and time in the band, to make it appear he was leaving the band, rather than being ousted. High ranking employees of corporations are often given this option to save face during times of change.**

I also believe this.

It just makes too much sense, at least in my opinion. Just months before his departure, he was saying how GNR was just on a hiatus, and how he couldn't wait to dive into all the finished music Axl had.  He's always had Sixx A.M. and that was never going to go away.  Something must've changed behind the scenes.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #441 on: February 16, 2016, 02:10:48 PM »

I feel so, too. anyway, DJ is a cool guy and I wouldn't be mad if he made a few guest appearances with GNR. same about Robin, BBF or Tommy (I guess Bucket won't be interested). these guys are a part of a big family, after all Smiley

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #442 on: February 16, 2016, 02:12:34 PM »

Yeah, I definitely don't think it was underhanded of GNR or DJ to draft that "resignation" letter.  If anything, I think it shows GNR cared about (most of) those guys.  Smiley
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #443 on: February 16, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »

Only thing that doesn't match up is the talk Axl was "blindsided" by DJ's departure.

Of course, we've also heard this reunion talk had been in the works for some time.

Who knows what to believe with this crazy fuckin' band?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #444 on: February 16, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »

Only thing that doesn't match up is the talk Axl was "blindsided" by DJ's departure.

Of course, we've also heard this reunion talk had been in the works for some time.

Who knows what to believe with this crazy fuckin' band?

I've heard that as well, but honestly, I think it was spin.  The reunion was announced only 5 months following DJ's departure. I....don't think that something this enormous and financially lucrative fell together in just a couple of months.  Especially when you consider everything both legally and emotionally that kept this from being a reality over the last 20 years.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #445 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »

**Also, I wouldn't be surprised if DJ, well aware of the upcoming reunion/regrouping, was allowed by Axl and management to draft a resignation letter out of respect for both his standing and time in the band, to make it appear he was leaving the band, rather than being ousted. High ranking employees of corporations are often given this option to save face during times of change.**

I also believe this.

Another patron of round shots.....my man good.

Is the room spinning or....man, this floor feels soft.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #446 on: February 16, 2016, 02:53:34 PM »

I've heard that as well, but honestly, I think it was spin.  The reunion was announced only 5 months following DJ's departure. I....don't think that something this enormous and financially lucrative fell together in just a couple of months.  Especially when you consider everything both legally and emotionally that kept this from being a reality over the last 20 years.

Yeah, the timing is just too concise for me, too.  I mean, rumor started flowing maybe a month afterwards?  I'd just be surprised if DJ leaving were what STARTED the conversations.

Now, maybe there were conversations before that point (like months and months before) about DJ departing, and they blindsided Axl at that point? But, by the time the letter was drafted....yeah, I'm in the same boat as all you.  I think the writing was on the wall, so to speak, at least in dry erase marker.

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #447 on: February 16, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »

Yeah, the timing is just too concise for me, too.  I mean, rumor started flowing maybe a month afterwards?  I'd just be surprised if DJ leaving were what STARTED the conversations.

Now, maybe there were conversations before that point (like months and months before) about DJ departing, and they blindsided Axl at that point? But, by the time the letter was drafted....yeah, I'm in the same boat as all you.  I think the writing was on the wall, so to speak, at least in dry erase marker.

Also keep in mind that the guys in the Conspirators claimed to have known about the reunion "months" prior to it being announced. Months. I would imagine Axl's close confidants such as DJ were also somewhat on the up and up regarding what was around the corner for Guns.
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #448 on: February 16, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »

It wasn't so long ago, during the conflict days that Axl said that the only people of the AFD5 that could do whats required is Slash and Duff, it seems to me that is one stance that still holds true with the main man.  My point being is that what Axl lived with in the 1990's those two have proven in spades that they are no longer the same people. Axl's had enough interaction with Izzy to know what his position is and will welcome into the fold as when he wants, but the only 3 members of that era to be fired are not on the radar, nor have demonstrated enough IMO to have earned that right.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #449 on: February 16, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »

Any bad feelings Slash or Duff may have can't be all that prevalent 20 years later, or they wouldn't be doing this.

Same thing with Axl, really.  If he was still as pissed as he was even 5-6 years ago, this never happens.

In a quiet moment, I'm sure all 3 guys know they fucked up. 

But, you can't turn back time.  So you make the best of the present, which they have done.

Especially when you consider that it was only four years ago that Axl made the "Not in this liftetime." comment. Something must have changed in their relationship to make this happen and I really believe Duff was a big part of helping mend those fences.

People have been saying Axl had "no choice" but to reunite after DJ split.  I'm calling bollocks all over that.  This is Axl Rose.  You're telling me he wouldn't be fine taking a few years if needed to figure things out or to hire a new guitarist eventually?  If you believe that, then you haven't been paying much attention over the last 20 odd years.

That's crap. I mean how many times can you replace a replacement? What a joke.

Slash->Robin Finck->DJ Ashba

-------->Buckethead->Bumblefoot

Izzy->Gilby->Paul Huge->Richard Fortus

I mean they replaced Slash with Finck then we he left Ashba took over. So the replacement... gets replaced. ok ok.. I get it

Then you add in a 2nd lead guitarist which defeats the purpose of a lead guitarist.... but ok. Then that New lead guitarist gets replaced.

The rhyhm section isn't so bad as Fortus is since 2002.

Ashba leaves and Bumblefoot in 14 and 15... what are they going to do... replace the replacement of the replacement? It got stupid. He absolutely almost had to hang it up or go back to Slash and Duff/reunion.

To think he's go on another run of more members is just silly.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #450 on: February 16, 2016, 03:21:53 PM »

I mean they replaced Slash with Finck then we he left Ashba took over. So the replacement... gets replaced. ok ok.. I get it

Then you add in a 2nd lead guitarist which defeats the purpose of a lead guitarist.... but ok. Then that New lead guitarist gets replaced.

Ashba leaves and Bumblefoot in 14 and 15... what are they going to do... replace the replacement of the replacement? It got stupid. He absolutely almost had to hang it up or go back to Slash and Duff/reunion.

Right. Silly because CLEARLY history shows he was completely unwilling, unable, and incapable of doing so. Or, you know, NOT!

Remember, just because the prospect doesn't tickle YOUR fancy doesn't mean it wasn't a completely possible (and I'd say plausible) outcome.

We get it...you don't think GnR is GnR unless it's a 100% equal partnership between the "original" (by your definition) 5 guys and there's no way anything that anyone did outside making that come to pass "makes sense" (to you).

The problem is....you perception and reality aren't actually lining up.

Edit: I'd also add that..if the DJ theory being laid out here is right...you'd only really have been replacing BBF. Tommy and DJ likely would still be in the fold.

So, I'd add, I'm not sure why replacing BBF sounds remotely "silly".  I mean, it wasn't silly when we were all talking about it in July of '14...because, really, while his departure wasn't definitive at this point, it sure was a hot topic of discussion.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:32:40 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2016, 03:22:19 PM »

Any bad feelings Slash or Duff may have can't be all that prevalent 20 years later, or they wouldn't be doing this.

Same thing with Axl, really.  If he was still as pissed as he was even 5-6 years ago, this never happens.

In a quiet moment, I'm sure all 3 guys know they fucked up. 

But, you can't turn back time.  So you make the best of the present, which they have done.

Especially when you consider that it was only four years ago that Axl made the "Not in this liftetime." comment. Something must have changed in their relationship to make this happen and I really believe Duff was a big part of helping mend those fences.

People have been saying Axl had "no choice" but to reunite after DJ split.  I'm calling bollocks all over that.  This is Axl Rose.  You're telling me he wouldn't be fine taking a few years if needed to figure things out or to hire a new guitarist eventually?  If you believe that, then you haven't been paying much attention over the last 20 odd years.

You...seem angry and I'm not even sure what your point is...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »

I'm reminded of a certain scene in Billy Madison.....

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #453 on: February 16, 2016, 03:40:19 PM »

I'm reminded of a certain scene in Billy Madison.....

I award you no points...And may God have mercy on your soul.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #454 on: February 16, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »

lol

Stop passing the point by... I'm cool with whatever. I have Chinese Democracy. I liked the Axl Rose project with all of the recurring members. It was fun.

It was Guns N' Roses, just different.

When you are the sole member of a famous and great band, and everyone has left. Then you rebuild it and replace everyone that is one thing. Then when you replace the people that replaced the originals it gets weird... and then 2 of the replacements from the replacements leave.

I'm just saying that like it or not... the longer he kept the revolving door around and used the "Guns N' Roses" name.. the dumber it got. Its just other dudes playing mostly NOT THEIR songs.

Get it? It isn't that hard to understand. He clearly had no option really. He could of gotten more members and other people sure. But how many different guitarists are we going to see in this band? At some point you just have to stop and reflect. When Bumble and Ashba left... it was hang it up or reunite.

I'm glad they are reuniting...

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #455 on: February 16, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »

How is it a reunion if half the band is post-UYI members? Simple question.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #456 on: February 16, 2016, 05:05:31 PM »

lol

Stop passing the point by... I'm cool with whatever. I have Chinese Democracy. I liked the Axl Rose project with all of the recurring members. It was fun.

It was Guns N' Roses, just different.

When you are the sole member of a famous and great band, and everyone has left. Then you rebuild it and replace everyone that is one thing. Then when you replace the people that replaced the originals it gets weird... and then 2 of the replacements from the replacements leave.

I'm just saying that like it or not... the longer he kept the revolving door around and used the "Guns N' Roses" name.. the dumber it got. Its just other dudes playing mostly NOT THEIR songs.

Get it? It isn't that hard to understand. He clearly had no option really. He could of gotten more members and other people sure. But how many different guitarists are we going to see in this band? At some point you just have to stop and reflect. When Bumble and Ashba left... it was hang it up or reunite.

I'm glad they are reuniting...

I'm very clear on your opinion, yes.

But, at the end of the day, there is your opinion and reality. You can call it "the axl rose project" and "guns n roses but different". The reality is: anything axl puts on stage under the banner is Guns n Roses.

Guess which one wins out? Hint: not your opinion.

YOU can think its silly, and dumb, and whatever else you want.

Where you depart from reality, thpugh, is when you declare it IS something, and that everyone else is either in agreement or wrong. 

No one is ignoring YOUR issue (and make no mistake..its yours alone). We've just had these conversations, to death, and nobody is overly interested in rehashing.

There is what you would like, and there is what "is".

They arent remotely the same here.

He could have, and very likely may have, replaced and moved on. The fact you think he couldn't, rather than just that you would prefer he didnt, is the only silly thing in this whole discussion. And that, my friend, is the point that everyone in the room seems to grasp...except you.

So we will move on, and you can stay mired in your fantasy, and what you want....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:11:38 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #457 on: February 16, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »

How is it a reunion if half the band is post-UYI members? Simple question.

Is a reunion of Axl and Slash, who are ever been the "two icons" of GNR for the mainstream public, and not only for die hard fans. That's the point.

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #458 on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:56 PM »

Might I suggest to the mods that we move a good chunk of the past couple pages to dead horse (or at least a new topic)? Its certainly that, and has zero to do with the tour updates and potential upcoming shows. I'll kill my part in the discussions, here, to cut down on the signal to noise ratio for new shows.

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #459 on: February 16, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »

lol

QFT.

LOL indeed.
Stop trolling the GN'R section with your "topics of interest" that belong in the 2000s.

Cheers.  ok

Now, back to the scheduled programming.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 119 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: