Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 12:51:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  General "Not In This Lifetime... Tour" thread *1st POST UPDATE NOV 30*
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 119 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General "Not In This Lifetime... Tour" thread *1st POST UPDATE NOV 30*  (Read 487879 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #280 on: February 09, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »

Regardless of when they go on I'll be happy to be there.

Well, so would I. 

And, full disclosure, I am a terrible example.  We own our own business.  If I want to take off the day before, the day of, and the day after...I could.

But I, am not everybody.  And I have always very strongly objected to ridiculing anyone with an issue on this front with any of the following :

- if you don't like it, don't go (a mindset retarded beyond belief)
- its rock n' roll, dude!!
- this is not new
- get a better job <recent addition to the list>

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »

Yeah I get it. The point I am trying to give out that keeps getting diluted in unclean water is...

Why is their such a need to stall and go on later than what most bands do? Most shows start around 8pm. why 11pm start when the opening act is done by 9ish

I never got that. Going on at 11pm is much cooler than 9 or 10? Like what does the different make? Living up to your reputation. I know Slash and Duff won't fucking deal with that.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »

Why is their such a need to stall and go on later than what most bands do? Most shows start around 8pm. why 11pm start when the opening act is done by 9ish

I never got that. Going on at 11pm is much cooler than 9 or 10? Like what does the different make?

The only difference I see is that it turns the crowd ugly.

Has anyone been to a lot of other concerts where the fans start to just leave in disgust?  To start booing in between songs over the P.A. while you wait?  Chant "ass-hole..." at the act they came to see?

Axl has said he likes to let the anticipation build, and I get that.  But there does reach a point of diminishing returns, as we've seen many, many times with his approach.  You can lose the crowd.

Axl could seemingly accomplish that same thing taking the stage at 10 at the max, and not risk losing the crowd or turning the mood ugly.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #283 on: February 09, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »

Right. That is what I'm saying. 10pm is reasonable. Anything later is just pissing on your fans I think. I have kids and stuff... and the later it goes the dumber it gets.

In this special case I wouldn't complain too much because I've never seen Slash and Axl play together.

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #284 on: February 09, 2016, 04:10:50 PM »

Excessive waits also just lead to more drinking which leads to things being thrown at him.

I have been to countless rock concerts, as I'm sure you have.  Most of my other favorite bands don't have to duck projectiles from their own fans.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #285 on: February 09, 2016, 04:24:07 PM »

Excessive waits also just lead to more drinking which leads to things being thrown at him.

I have been to countless rock concerts, as I'm sure you have.  Most of my other favorite bands don't have to duck projectiles from their own fans.

this

never thought of it in this light really. nice.

Yeah personally after 1 hour of waiting I'm pretty pissy and ansy about things. 30-45 minutes after opening set is cool though.

But don't damn me
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #286 on: February 09, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »

But if you really need to think about missing a show because of work simply get a better job. Or learn to stay awake a bit. Or be a little tired at work. Or take a sick day but then that's unpaid again?

But missing a show because the boss says so, guys, really?

This is 100% backwards.

People can't miss work BECAUSE its not a shit job.  These are real world, big boy jobs most of us have at this stage of our life.

When we were in high school or college, and working at the fast food/restaurant/golf course...who cared?  We were dumb kids that were going to that show, hell or high water.  Fucking fire us if you have to.  Not like this is going to be our life's work, this job we took for beer and weed money.

But we aren't kids anymore.  This is real life.  Odds are, you tell the boss you can't show up the next day because you have to totally rock out, dude...that's not going to be a good look.

And once again, please tell me what other major band asks fans to risk LOSING THEIR JOB because they can't get their asses on stage at a reasonable hour?  Who?  Who is that other major band?

Killing two birds with one stone.

I work in an executive level I.T position. I make 6 figures. I'm in the good ole u.s of a (and yes, we have paid sick time here...not as generous as eu, but we have it).

I earn paid time off every week. That covers sick time, vacation time, and holidays, whatever.

Nobody, and i mean nobody, gives a shit how i use my time...as long as i schedule it in advance. Hell, sick time pisses people off more than taking scheduled days off for...concerts, game conferences, disney trips, whatever.  Yes, sometimes crap happens and i have to change my plans. Happens when i'm sick, too, occasionally. But not often and when it does, they are considerate of the circumstances.

When i was younger, as a programmer/analyst and then sr systems engineer (different companies), i found the same thing (though time off earning/bank procedures were different). As i said, i've seen gnr a ton since 88 and worked day after show exactly once....when i was a feshman in college and working a second job as an asst retail manager. I got two hours sleep. It sucked. I lived.

Every company is different. Every job is different. But having a "big people" job doesnt mean, in many cases, being a slave to the company you work for. It depends. If your leadership at your company are dicks about time off...that sucks, man.  But i think you are painting with a very broad brush to insinuate every career tract job is that way. They aren't.

Thats why, when i answered your question originally, dx, i answered it based on my experiences, and my situations. I can't speak to anyone elses. It does them a disservice, imho.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:33:09 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #287 on: February 09, 2016, 05:11:50 PM »

Well, so would I. 

And, full disclosure, I am a terrible example.  We own our own business.  If I want to take off the day before, the day of, and the day after...I could.

But I, am not everybody.  And I have always very strongly objected to ridiculing anyone with an issue on this front with any of the following :

- this is not new
Let me add another one. It's ONE day of your life. If you can't fit it into your schedule or make the necessary arrangements to make it work, then I guess it's not meant to be. Usually people are able to take a day off from work occasionally, or do some extra work around the event in question. Some people might even suck it up and go to work after only a few hours of sleep. Again, it's ONE day. Where there's a will, there's a way.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #288 on: February 09, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »

Really? I've seen it a ton.

Bottles of piss (woodstock 99)
Glass beer bottle at sebastian Bach in 89 (springfirld ma)
Beer at stephen tyler in new haven, 94 (i worked there, at that point)

Lots of other examples. It happens.

Now, granted, i've seen a ton of shows....i have no idea if its more or less than other folks here...but i wouldn't even call it "rare". Happens more to opening acts, but i've seen it from to people from axl to Vedder
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:32:25 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #289 on: February 09, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »

Well, so would I. 

- this is not new
Let me add another one. It's ONE day of your life. If you can't fit it into your schedule or make the necessary arrangements to make it work, then I guess it's not meant to be. Usually people are able to take a day off from work occasionally, or do some extra work around the event in question. Some people might even suck it up and go to work after only a few hours of sleep. Again, it's ONE day. Where there's a will, there's a way.

This is the way i've always felt.

If it doesnt work for other folks, i get it. But thats been my personal position for my attendance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:31:53 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #290 on: February 09, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »

Glass beer bottle at sebastian Bach in 89 (springfirld ma)

You were at that show?

That's the one where he picks it up and wings it back at her, right?  Hits her in the face?

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #291 on: February 09, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »

But if you really need to think about missing a show because of work simply get a better job. Or learn to stay awake a bit. Or be a little tired at work. Or take a sick day but then that's unpaid again?

This is 100% backwards.

People can't miss work BECAUSE its not a shit job.  These are real world, big boy jobs most of us have at this stage of our life.

When we were in high school or college, and working at the fast food/restaurant/golf course...who cared?  We were dumb kids that were going to that show, hell or high water.  Fucking fire us if you have to.  Not like this is going to be our life's work, this job we took for beer and weed money.

But we aren't kids anymore.  This is real life.  Odds are, you tell the boss you can't show up the next day because you have to totally rock out, dude...that's not going to be a good look.

And once again, please tell me what other major band asks fans to risk LOSING THEIR JOB because they can't get their asses on stage at a reasonable hour?  Who?  Who is that other major band?

I work in an executive level I.T position. I make 6 figures. I'm in the good ole u.s of a (and yes, we have paid sick time here...not as generous as eu, but we have it).

I earn paid time off every week. That covers sick time, vacation time, and holidays, whatever.

Nobody, and i mean nobody, gives a shit how i use my time...as long as i schedule it in advance. Hell, sick time pisses people off more than taking scheduled days off for...concerts, game conferences, disney trips, whatever.  Yes, sometimes crap happens and i have to change my plans. Happens when i'm sick, too, occasionally. But not often and when it does, they are considerate of the circumstances.

When i was younger, as a programmer/analyst and then sr systems engineer (different companies), i found the same thing (though time off earning/bank procedures were different). As i said, i've seen gnr a ton since 88 and worked day after show exactly once....when i was a feshman in college and working a second job as an asst retail manager. I got two hours sleep. It sucked. I lived.

Every company is different. Every job is different. But having a "big people" job doesnt mean, in many cases, being a slave to the company you work for. It depends. If your leadership at your company are dicks about time off...that sucks, man.  But i think you are painting with a very broad brush to insinuate every career tract job is that way. They aren't.

Thats why, when i answered your question originally, dx, i answered it based on my experiences, and my situations. I can't speak to anyone elses. It does them a disservice, imho.

I agree with DX. In this economy, you are easy to replace as a worker. Some people cannot take days off  because of that. It's different now. Here's a good example. Last summer, AC/DC played at MetLife during the last week of August. As a result, I knew a lot of people who went to the show because that is generally one of the slowest weeks of the year. This year, AC/DC will be playing at Madison Square Garden on Monday, April 4. No one that I know of wants to go to the show due to work and family obligations.

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #292 on: February 10, 2016, 03:19:37 AM »

This is 100% backwards.

I agree with DX. In this economy, you are easy to replace as a worker. Some people cannot take days off  because of that. It's different now. Here's a good example. Last summer, AC/DC played at MetLife during the last week of August. As a result, I knew a lot of people who went to the show because that is generally one of the slowest weeks of the year. This year, AC/DC will be playing at Madison Square Garden on Monday, April 4. No one that I know of wants to go to the show due to work and family obligations.

Surely that should read, No I that I know will be going to the show. due to....  Bet they all still want to go, but won't be.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #293 on: February 10, 2016, 03:59:23 AM »

I've entered my details to the Green Card Lottery but sure as hell wouldn't be going because of the working life there Cheesy

Where I live and work people simply book their shows and tell their bosses closer to the actual days off. Yes, we're talking about educated guys with proper jobs. It's called flexibility. I don't generally care if my boss asks me to come in on a weekend if there's a deadline coming up or something as it, of course, works the other way round as well.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #294 on: February 10, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »

You were at that show?

That's the one where he picks it up and wings it back at her, right?  Hits her in the face?

Yup, and pandemonium ensues.

Thankfully, I was not on the floor for that show.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:18:30 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #295 on: February 10, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »

1) "In this economy" isn't really "this economy" anymore, but I hear what you're saying.

2) It still holds true FOR ME (and other folks I socialize with).  I can (and do) take time off for lots of different stuff. Vacations. Kids school stuff. Concerts. Pax East (gaming convention in Boston).  None of the people I work with, never mind the VP I report to, care a whit, so long as I give them plenty of notice (the more the better, but 3 or 4 weeks is generally preferred).

3) Again, I think it depends on what you do, where you work, and who you work for.  That's not the case for me. Its not the case for the people I socialize with (which, admittedly, is a suburban, "soccer mom/dad", heavy population), though I would also add the caveat that I won't speak for them, entirely.  But we have enough conversations about this type of stuff to at least get a gist.

4) As I said, I don't claim it holds true for everyone. But I don't think DX's example does, either.  It's more nuanced, and the best (IMHO) position is "It depends". I think you hit the nail on the head with "some people". But "some people" are always going to be effected, somehow.  No concert, event, happening, party, or pub crawl is going to be able to fit EVERYONE's schedule, every time.  I get it.  I'm generally OK with it. I can see why others might not be, because it will have a larger effect on their ability to attend an event they'd like to see.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #296 on: February 10, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »

I've entered my details to the Green Card Lottery but sure as hell wouldn't be going because of the working life there Cheesy

Where I live and work people simply book their shows and tell their bosses closer to the actual days off. Yes, we're talking about educated guys with proper jobs. It's called flexibility. I don't generally care if my boss asks me to come in on a weekend if there's a deadline coming up or something as it, of course, works the other way round as well.

The "work/life" and "work/family" balance is generally better in other parts of the world, that's for sure.

In addition, the average American worker earns/gets about 2 weeks of vacation time in a year.  That's WAY less than in most other parts of the world.

What you describe is still doable, for many folks. Not everyone...but many.

Together again,
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #297 on: February 10, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »

mygnr clowns are saying may 29th lisbon?

who knows

But don't damn me
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #298 on: February 10, 2016, 02:14:50 PM »

With the April 20 show announced, I have some doubts about the April 21 show rumor... They rarely do 3 shows in 3 days.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #299 on: February 10, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »

April will be very busy for GNR with all these shows poppin up! Hope Axl doesnt blow his voice, too many shows in close dates...so much for the 3h shows I think.

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 119 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: