Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:15:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Could the reunion spark some back catalog stuff coming in the future?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could the reunion spark some back catalog stuff coming in the future?  (Read 22915 times)
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »

I'm not talking a GH type of person.

I'm talking genuine long time fans.  People who own and know the back catalogue, and who've been to the shows.  People who are excited about the 'reunion'.

Nobody cares.

Sorry.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »

Strip it down to the basics...with all the buzz going around now, people are going to be interested if Gnr releases a song. They won't know when it was written, by whom, or likely who the hell is even playing on it. If Axl is singing and they can get Slash and Duff on it, radio stations will be salivating.  drool

Honestly they could have Slash do what Ron did, add some finishing touches, and most people wouldn't know the difference. With a few exceptions most of CD sounded close enough to Illusions anyway (I've had friends who are casuals think TWAT was a UYI song). Not sure if Slash would want to, but you're spot on - people aren't reading the liner notes unless they're hardcore fans.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 11:24:19 AM »

Nobody cares.

Sorry.

A Chinese Democracy reissue wouldn't be made to please the ones who only love the old albums. It's kinda obvious. You just assume people are stupid.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kyrie
Legend

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »

I'm not talking a GH type of person.

I'm talking genuine long time fans.  People who own and know the back catalogue, and who've been to the shows.  People who are excited about the 'reunion'.

Nobody cares.

Sorry.

Wait, so only non-genuine fans want more CD era stuff?

Sorry but I've been a "genuine" fan since the 80s and you don't speak for me.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2016, 11:59:15 AM »

Nobody cares.

Sorry.

A Chinese Democracy reissue wouldn't be made to please the ones who only love the old albums. It's kinda obvious. You just assume people are stupid.

/jarmo

In general, the kinda people I described above think WE (the msg board crowd) are stupid.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2016, 12:02:40 PM »

I think a lot of issues arise in this discussion because Guns N' Roses have been broken up for like 20 years basically.

We finally get the old band back together, and people wouldn't want CD era stuff from a reunion. It just isn't what people want. Why would you want the old Gn'R to record and put out CD II stuff right away?

Wouldn't you want them to make and write their OWN stuff? or release OLDER stuff that we haven't heard that is out there? I don't get it.

I think this is why a lot of people get mad or get offended. The old band is back folks, and whether you guys like it or not... MOST of us would like the OLD band to release OLDer stuff

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »

Did I say that ?

There's nothing wrong with wanting more CD era stuff, so do I.  My point is that, outside of the obsessive msg board crowd, NO ONE ELSE is interested.

What's up with this 'genuine fan' thing ?  You like a band or you don't, it's not a competition.  I have 5 million bootlegs, my buddy has 5, and he hates them (for their soundquality).  He's as much a fan as me.

Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »

I think a lot of issues arise in this discussion because Guns N' Roses have been broken up for like 20 years basically.

We finally get the old band back together, and people wouldn't want CD era stuff from a reunion. It just isn't what people want. Why would you want the old Gn'R to record and put out CD II stuff right away?

Wouldn't you want them to make and write their OWN stuff? or release OLDER stuff that we haven't heard that is out there? I don't get it.

I think this is why a lot of people get mad or get offended. The old band is back folks, and whether you guys like it or not... MOST of us would like the OLD band to release OLDer stuff

There you go...

That's the bottom line.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2016, 12:22:26 PM »

Unlike you, I'm more into whatever is released by the band. Don't care how old or new it is. If the band puts it out because they want to, it's fine with me.

None of that "Oh no, that guy who's not in the band anymore plays guitar on the album so I don't want that" shit is an issue for me.

We already heard the cries for new music for years, now once again, those cries have been changed to certain conditions. Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »

This was pretty inevitable.

Both the fact that people would be talking in terms of "thank god that misadventure is finally over"...as well as people taking that very personally and getting pissed about it.

I'm in the middle of that divide.  I appreciated what was done the past 15 years, but it was a placeholder for me.  While interested in the stuff they did during that time that has yet to come out, I would not exactly be taking hostages if it never did.

My advice would be to recognize that the bit in bold is going to be said by people, and you can't let it bother you.  You can't right every slight, real or perceived.  Insisting people give that era the same level of respect they did the classic band...well, you've been at that for 15 years.  How's it been going?

Its possible to see an opinion you disagree with go by, even if you disagree VEHEMENTLY, and see the futility of trying to fight it.  So you let it go.  If that's what they think, its what they think.   Your fresh new take is not going to bring them around.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 12:32:04 PM »

You're right, it's said by people.

But I don't get people like you saying it in a place where you know people actually don't see it that way.
It's like you're trolling for reactions from those people with your digs at that particular era.

I suggest you stop.   ok

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 12:32:23 PM »

There's nothing wrong with wanting more CD era stuff, so do I.  My point is that, outside of the obsessive msg board crowd, NO ONE ELSE is interested.

This point gets lost around here, often.

My personal opinion on why is that people aren't necessarily blind to that fact, but they want this place to be a firewall against having to face it and deal with it.

You become the bad guy, because you invaded the safe space.  

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 12:33:58 PM »

You're right, it's said by people.

But I don't get people like you saying it in a place where you know people actually don't see it that way.
It's like you're trolling for reactions from those people with your digs at that particular era.

I suggest you stop.   ok

Why beat your head against the wall?

If you just let a comment pass, it dies.  Throwing a tantrum gets it discussed for an entire page, if not more.  (much like we are doing right here and now)

This is preferable to you?  Seems odd to me.

kyrie
Legend

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »

Did I say that ?

What's up with this 'genuine fan' thing ?  You like a band or you don't, it's not a competition.  I have 5 million bootlegs, my buddy has 5, and he hates them (for their soundquality).  He's as much a fan as me.

You seemed to imply it. And "genuine fan" was your term, not mine. Not sure why you're asking "what's up" with it now.

And again - outside of the boards I don't think anyone cares what era new material is from, be it 85-96 or 97-2014. They're going to shows to hear the hits and think it's cool that Axl and Slash are bros again and the band is "back together" (probably not even knowing who Izzy is). However, since there seems to be little to no unreleased material (other than demo versions of songs we already have) left from the 85-96, I think most people's preference would be unheard of/unknown songs.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2016, 12:44:51 PM »

At the end of the day, I'd love to get anything... as we've gotten 1 release in the 16 years since Live era. I don't count the GH as a actual release.

So anything would be great. I just would like to hear some unreleased stuff that is tucked away man. Mainly anything from 94-96

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »

Why beat your head against the wall?

If you just let a comment pass, it dies.  Throwing a tantrum gets it discussed for an entire page, if not more.  (much like we are doing right here and now)

This is preferable to you?  Seems odd to me.

I'm not beating my head against anything. Just letting you know that I'm not gonna let you go on with your little digs.
Your disrespect towards that era and this site isn't gonna continue here. Something will change.

It's up to you, if you'll be proactive or if you want me to make that change.
Just a reminder. Now you know.  ok

Edited to add: Why not focus on how happy you supposedly are? No need for your negative dwelling on everything that didn't go according to your wishes in the past few decades. 

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:57:07 PM by jarmo » Logged

kyrie
Legend

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »

This point gets lost around here, often.

My personal opinion on why is that people aren't necessarily blind to that fact, but they want this place to be a firewall against having to face it and deal with it.

You become the bad guy, because you invaded the safe space.  

Not really. It's not about a safe space, people are free to have their own opinions.

However, you get people chirping about who is and isn't a genuine fan and holding on to grudges that even band members past and present have let go of... and it gets tiring.

Slash in the band or not, plenty of people are interested in seeing what's in the vault from the CD era. More so than the UYI era, if only because we already know there isn't much left in the way of unreleased material from the AFD/UYI era. Which should effectively end the conversation, but certain people feel the need to make this about which lineup is more popular, when it's not about that. If offered the choice between new material and nothing (or next to nothing), I'm taking new material.

Now, if there was any sort of hint that earlier material existed beyond the odd demo of existing stuff, that would be different.

As a side note, the Rapidfire demo release pretty much flopped, which should tell you how many people outside the diehards care about this stuff at all (but hey it's $5 on Amazon and still part of the history, so I'm not knocking on it, just making a point).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:53:30 PM by kyrie » Logged
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2016, 01:13:55 PM »

The problem is there is a large GNR fan base that just looks at them as what Appetite for Destruction & Lies produced and to a lesser extent UYI and they don't have the open mind for a band to grow in sound. Unfortunately for Guns N Roses history its not like they are Rush or Iron maiden who have a huge library to go by and unless you have an open mind when it comes to music I mean look at Metallica how many fans criticize them post BLACK album a band tries to grow in sound but because of initial success everybody wants the same sound because they know they like that and god forbid if you try a different sound it sucks because your close minded.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »

The problem is there is a large GNR fan base that just looks at them as what Appetite for Destruction & Lies produced and to a lesser extent UYI and they don't have the open mind for a band to grow in sound. Unfortunately for Guns N Roses history its not like they are Rush or Iron maiden who have a huge library to go by and unless you have an open mind when it comes to music I mean look at Metallica how many fans criticize them post BLACK album a band tries to grow in sound but because of initial success everybody wants the same sound because they know they like that and god forbid if you try a different sound it sucks because your close minded.

Your overall argument, I agree with.  Metallica is a good example of this in action.

But is GNR really apples to apples with Metallica?  Metallica absolutely tried to update their sound, but it was still the same band.

With GNR, I think there was more resistance to the new line-up than the new sound.  But I mean that in the sense that the new sound wasn't even given a chance, because so many checked out when they knew everyone but Axl was gone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that an "evolving sound", but one tried with Axl, Slash, and Duff (if not the entire line-up that finished up the UYI tour), might have worked for more people than CD did.

But overall, I do agree with your point that even then, there would be people that just wanted AFD II and then AFD III.  That's just fandom.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2016, 01:52:37 PM »

With GNR, I think there was more resistance to the new line-up than the new sound. 

what new sound? My summary of it all:

Axl: where the fuck is duff and slash

Tommy comes in and is like 'sappening' and axl is like 'dude, sappening' and tommy is like 'sappling' and there was a sappling who grew into a giant weed. tommy started smoking the weed and richard came in, altho from the future, and said 'i am not bumping my nose into that' while looking at the weed. 'i bumped my nose on the door but i am not gonna bump my nose on the weed and just gonna stay on this side here'.

then chris came in but he couldn't say anything cause he wasn't plugged in, so it was dizzy who came in instead. he said 'where the fuck is duff and slash' while looking at the weed, who now seemed to only grow bigger and bigger. meanwhile, axl had created a carusell. it went round and round. when we looked at it go round first came a finch. then a buckethead. then a bumblefoot. then a dj from the 80's.

and then slash and duff came in and looked at both the weed and the carusell. and then we are like 'watnao'.

tldr:

rtb wrecked the record

edit:
the drummer is just a guy that is there
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:02:20 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: