Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:52:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy's Legacy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy's Legacy  (Read 34235 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2016, 09:36:31 PM »

I think over time it will grow in this almost underground sort of way. Well if Gn'R do an actual reunion etc... the sales will pop for this album too.

I have never understood this argument.

If you didn't dig it, and many people didn't dig it, its because it didn't sound like Guns N' Roses to you.

Why will that change over time?

If 'It's So Easy' and 'Scraped' sounded like 2 different bands to you in 2008, why would it be any different in 2018?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »

Well it is pretty easy to understand if you think longer than 3 seconds dude.

Chinese Democracy came with  massive hype. Massive. I mean work on the album started in 1998 or 1999. It didn't come out until 9 or 10 years later. It got press for not being out.

That is called hype. Not to mention it was under the Guns N' Roses name. So when it hit stores it was criticized badly not for the music quality, but for the long term approach to it. It underwhelmed. It didn't even go #1 in the USA.

The sales of the record, and the singles charting was poor. So the taste it leaves in people's mouths is a good album that is overrated. (NON-Gn'R fans).

This album was not a good album to attract newer/younger fans. This album has definitely kinda been forgotten outside of the normal ring of Gn'R fans I think. Also I never stated I didn't like it. I like CD, it's good. Just not great as it was supposed to be.

SO like I said, in time... I think it will be looked back on in a better way, especially if this reunion goes well, and new fans see the classic lineup or something. Mostly if they put out a new album somehow. Then it would be the follow up to "Chinese Democracy" and guess what new fans are going to buy? The previous album.

The legacy of the album from a non fanboy perspective is that it is a "good"/"okay album that took way too long. I think the album will stand the test of time.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2016, 10:06:22 PM »

The legacy of the album from a non fanboy perspective is that it is a "good"/"okay album that took way too long. I think the album will stand the test of time.

Agreed.

I just tend to roll my eyes at the talk that it was just too complex, a misunderstood masterpiece, or how it will appreciate over time.

Seems like wishful thinking to me.  And a coping mechanism to try and explain away why people didn't dig it.

People heard it and said "...nah, not for me".  It happens.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »

Didn't Axl say basically the same thing about the reaction he was expecting some people to have to the album?  I tried to find the quote but couldn't.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2016, 10:46:13 PM »

Didn't Axl say basically the same thing about the reaction he was expecting some people to have to the album?  I tried to find the quote but couldn't.

Yeah, it was something like that.  He did go into this with open eyes, really.

Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »

It's a very complex record, I'm trying to do something different. Some of the arrangements are kind of like Queen. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses.' But you'll like at least a few songs on there.

That quote?

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2016, 10:51:40 PM »

It's a very complex record, I'm trying to do something different. Some of the arrangements are kind of like Queen. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses.' But you'll like at least a few songs on there.

That quote?

Yes that's it.  Thank you.  Smiley

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2016, 11:02:52 PM »

That quote?

Pretty perfect summation, I think.

I do not think it sounds much like Guns N' Roses, for the most part.  But there are a few tunes on there I do truly love anyway.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:23 PM »

I got Madagascar live. So No, the legacy is better with the live experience.

well yeah, that song (or axl) didn't work very well on the album.

If you didn't dig it, and many people didn't dig it, its because it didn't sound like Guns N' Roses to you.

huh, if u drink water from a coca-cola bottle it is not good just because it doesn't taste cola?

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2016, 11:30:59 PM »

'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose

I missed some of the punk voice-acrobatics, Vocaltracks were all polished and standard.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2016, 11:34:19 PM »

huh, if u drink water from a coca-cola bottle it is not good just because it doesn't taste cola?

If you only like Cola and not water, than yes, it is not as good just because it isn't Cola.

This is the problem 'we' as fans have... you can't just accept that some people don't like something you like, or something isn't their style. I have friends who will really only listen to Country Music, but they tend to like bluesy/classic rock (like AFD)... they cringe when I have CD playing in the background at home or in the car when they are with me. It isn't their style... it isn't going to grow on them. Taste is subjective, they aren't wrong any more than you are for liking it. It means what it means to you... hold on to that, but don't let it bother you that it is never going to be universally recognized like Appetite.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2016, 11:41:44 PM »

^if you give someone a glass of apple juice and accidentally tell them its milk, and they take a drink without looking at it, they are likely to spit it out thinking something is wrong with the milk. but then, after you tell them oh i meant apple juice, they will realize its perfectly good apple juice. presumptions and expectations can definitely affect an experience.

but yeah, i can see how cd just isnt for everyone. i have a friend that always tries to force hip hop on me. he used to not like it as well, but now he always tries to force me to pay attention to it when were together. not sure why he expects me to change. it actually makes me like hip hop even less.

i cant help it, i just feel stupid and awkward when i listen to it. its just not me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:47:10 PM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2016, 01:34:18 AM »

I didn't like CD that much and most knew that gnr had changed line-up.

SharkOfLargo
Opening Act

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2016, 04:12:34 AM »

The CD era - well, it's provided a lot of live shows, so fans all over have got to see GN'R in action, which is great.  We've had a great album (in my opinion anyway), that I feel still holds up well today.  My only problem is that though, we've only had ONE album of new music.  To make this era even more of a legacy I think it needed more new music.  That's just my opinion and I'm sure many of you may disagree but I really feel that, say 15-16 years, with only one new record is maybe disappointing to some. 

However, with this mini-reunion happening, I'm hoping that a brand new era is going to bring us much more new music and a massive world tour.  Here's hoping anyway.

All Aboard..........
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:52 AM »

I think Axl pretty much nailed it for me.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »

it definitely is a complex album, and quite a modern one. too bad 1) it wasn't released in its original raw shape around 2000, 2) it was re-shaped and re-recorded so many times, that the original spirit is gone, replaced with quite a different sound in its final form, 3) many parts of it still sound like unfinished demos, 4) only this tiny piece of all recorded material got actually released.
wasted opportunities, talents, time and money - not that I mean it totally negative, I actually like most of the songs! just trying to find the realistic point of view Smiley

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:08 AM »

Has what has been established as what Coca-Cola is and tastes like already been around for 20 years?  Which people came to like and appreciate?

And then you changed the entire formula, but still stuck in a Coca-Cola bottle?  And then when people said they didn't like it, you asked them what their problem was because they had always been Coca-Cola fans, and still says Coca-Cola right on the bottle?

I believe this exact scenario played out, if memory serves.  It was called New Coke.  Didn't really land.

zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »

wrong logic. people now seem to be expecting 1989-1991 again. obviously not happening, because it was 25 years ago. GNR evolved, band members are not 25-30 years old anymore, but around 50. everything has changed. having some old chaps on the podium, pretending it's 1988 again, obviously can't work at all. the expectations seem a bit impossible, I think.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »

Has what has been established as what Coca-Cola is and tastes like already been around for 20 years?  Which people came to like and appreciate?

And then you changed the entire formula, but still stuck in a Coca-Cola bottle?  And then when people said they didn't like it, you asked them what their problem was because they had always been Coca-Cola fans, and still says Coca-Cola right on the bottle?

I believe this exact scenario played out, if memory serves.  It was called New Coke.  Didn't really land.

Bahaha, that reminds me of someone.
Well, at least it had Sugar !

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »

I really feel that, say 15-16 years, with only one new record is maybe disappointing to some. 

Probably the understatement of the year hihi

Undecided

It was called New Coke. 

mhm

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: