Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:44:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy's Legacy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy's Legacy  (Read 34226 times)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« on: January 13, 2016, 05:47:32 PM »

So it looks like the CD era has closed. With the reunion on full swing for sure now and rumors flying over a tour and now a special LA show possibly in Feb., what do you think about the 1998-2014 CD era? 2015 is left out simply because they didn't do anything at all. I started with 1998 because by that point everyone was out of the band besides Axl, Tobias and Dizzy Reed I believe, and Tommy Stinson joined that year, so in theory that was when the New Guns N' Roses started.

So what are your thoughts on this era? What are your favorite moments? How does CD hold up 7 years removed from its release?

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:57:22 PM »

Lots of touring and it introduced us to some great musicians...As for me I grew to like the 3 guitar approach in the live setting.....CD had some fantastic moments, stuff I would never have imagined on a GNR album and some that sounded like expansions from the UYI era...I surely will miss the CD era of GNR, but am anticipating the next chapter..
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 06:28:10 PM »

Still think CD is their third best album (after Appetite and Illusion 2). Still listen to it all the time and am always hearing more depth and new things in it. One of the most underrated albums of all time in my view.

I loved the whole CD area.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »

I still listen to the songs 15 years after we first heard some of them. So yeah, I think it holds up pretty good. The guitar work is awesome and I'm always listening with headphones paying close attention to the details.

I was fascineted about the CD era with all the mistery and new elements being throwing out all over the place. I still hope for more songs of that era to surface.

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:28:19 PM »

So it looks like the CD era has closed. With the reunion on full swing for sure now and rumors flying over a tour and now a special LA show possibly in Feb., what do you think about the 1998-2014 CD era? 2015 is left out simply because they didn't do anything at all. I started with 1998 because by that point everyone was out of the band besides Axl, Tobias and Dizzy Reed I believe, and Tommy Stinson joined that year, so in theory that was when the New Guns N' Roses started.

So what are your thoughts on this era? What are your favorite moments? How does CD hold up 7 years removed from its release?

What "rumors" flying around?  From that alternative nation article?  Not saying they won't play a show in LA before Coachella, but what kind of sources does alternative nation have?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:29:57 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:31:32 PM »

What "rumors" flying around?  From that alternative nation article?  Not saying they won't play a show in LA before Cochela, but what kind of sources does alternative nation have?

I honestly don't think they have any verifiable sources for much of what they post-. But- the things they post get re-posted by forums, so the circle continues on and on.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »

...the CD era was interesting from a rock and roll history perspective. NO DOUBT. However, it did leave me with a lot of "shoulda coulda woulda's"....we had some top shelf musicians and a lot of potential. Amazing moments and cringe worthy moments but I guess that is Gnr throughout their whole history. My one big regret is that Axl didn't give us his full vision and release all that music at one time. Shock and Awe so to say.

Anyhow, we will hear that music at some point but who knows what changes will have been made. I have faith though and can't wait to hear what these songs ultimately sound like.  peace

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 10:17:04 PM »

Hey,,, Hey, Hey,, Calm !!!

- New Music With LineUp 2016
- New Music From ChinDem Era

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 11:20:39 PM »

It was an interesting period.  It gave us one very good album (so far...), but as someone who didn't mind too much that Slash and co. weren't around*, there's a sense of frustration and "what if" about how it all happened (or didn't).  That a cast of such excellent musicians collaborated for such a long time and only released one album in that time is a damn shame.  But really, we'll never be able to assess the period fully without hearing what else they made in that time.  I hope we get that chance.

*Not that I object to them being back, not by any means.  I was reconciled to GNR without them, and looking forward to new music.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 11:37:47 PM »

100% conflicted about the legacy. Really too many thoughts on the matter. Just happy we are where we are right now with Slash and Duff back in the mix.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »

What "rumors" flying around?  From that alternative nation article?  Not saying they won't play a show in LA before Coachella, but what kind of sources does alternative nation have?

These rumors. Chill out. Billboard reported as has like a lot of others about a stadium tour, and the LA show is from alternative yes...

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 12:42:52 AM »

These rumors. Chill out. Billboard reported as has like a lot of others about a stadium tour, and the LA show is from alternative yes...

Chill out?  Was I upset?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 12:50:38 AM »

It was an interesting period.  It gave us one very good album (so far...), but as someone who didn't mind too much that Slash and co. weren't around*, there's a sense of frustration and "what if" about how it all happened (or didn't).  That a cast of such excellent musicians collaborated for such a long time and only released one album in that time is a damn shame.  But really, we'll never be able to assess the period fully without hearing what else they made in that time.  I hope we get that chance.

I feel the same way.

As for the legacy of CHinese Democracy on the positive side, I think that Chinese Democracy reminded recording artists about sound quality. The record is crystal clear and it had an enormous contrast with death magnetic, Metallica's album, which despite being good had a terrible sound. Loudness had been on a steady rise up to that point and I think those two records made a difference.

On the negative side. Overproduction, and label intrusion, which Ive found out recently are both related.

No artist should ask a suit whether he likes their music.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 03:20:24 AM »

1. I discovered many great musicians, who came to GNR and went out again.
2. I discovered many side projects, either from ex-members or their ex-bands.
3. I discovered many, many other bands - because without GNR active, I just had to start searching for other bands and other styles.

without GNR effectively on hiatus almost all the time, this wouldn't be even possible - and man it was a journey! and still is Cool
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:53:38 AM by zombux » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 05:42:31 AM »

On the negative side. Overproduction, and label intrusion, which Ive found out recently are both related.
What do you mean? Did Chinese sound get influenced by label in the final mix?

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 05:59:36 AM »

It's the era of the band where I grew up. Kind of.  hihi
Lots and lots of great memories that relate to the album and the tour.

The album is still amazing and every time you listen to it, it still sounds fresh.  Cool

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TokyoRose
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 06:07:14 AM »

From a national view it is looked on as a negative or down time overall.  The CD LP was enjoyed by the rabid fans, but many casual fans of the band and music barely paid attention to it shortly after release.  To many here that era will go down as a great one, as many enjoyed the powerful live performances, and the quiality musicians Axl brought on board.  Esp in the time between 06-10 where Axl was performing at a VERY high level.  CD while it didnt have the massive hits was very solid, and had a lot of nuances for repeated listening. 

So to answer the proposed question it all depends on whose point of view.  The general nation feeling or the feeling from the hard core fan base?

nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 06:32:43 AM »

For me CD is a masterpiece.
The majority of the songs are epic,lyrics-guitars-sound quality and everything about this album is legendary.
Also it marked a period when let's say "true" fans got "onboard" and the rest....didn't. Being patient for all those years payed off.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »

1. I discovered many great musicians, who came to GNR and went out again.
2. I discovered many side projects, either from ex-members or their ex-bands.
3. I discovered many, many other bands - because without GNR active, I just had to start searching for other bands and other styles.

without GNR effectively on hiatus almost all the time, this was a journey! and still is Cool

Excelent Friend !!!

beer
For me CD is a masterpiece.
The majority of the songs are epic,lyrics-guitars-sound quality and everything about this album is legendary.
Also it marked a period when let's say "true" fans got "onboard" and the rest....didn't. Being patient for all those years payed off.

It's True !!!

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 08:30:18 AM »

for me, a big part of enjoying legendary bands like zeppelin and gnr is that common denominator known by every stoned and untameable beard weilding rock and roll sage (aka uncle__) as rock and roll lore. it is larger than life and out of the ordinary, excessive, and downright captivating. unintangible as its value may be, the cd era was filled to the brim, overflowing with, ready to burst and ejaculating from every one of its innumerable and bottomless blackholes and black boxes, more countless than the  fragmented shifting political alliances of 18th century madagascar, this otherworldly substance, more holy than the omnipresent active element Okidanokh amen. i wouldnt be surprised if axls private vault radiated and pulsed, and when unlocked, sucked nearby people inside like unexpecting players of Jumanji. a film or book conveying the details of this era, those both known and unkown to everyday and hardcore fans alike, would no doubt be among the most fascinating stories surrounding an artist, his vision, and his journey ever told.

the greatest part of it all is that when people look back at this time, they have unlimited access to a tangible piece of the legend, or you could even say, the very heart of the legend; the album itself. Chinese Motherfuckin Democracy. and as for that album, if you have the ears to listen, it will speak for itself.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: