Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:41:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Adler/Sorum - Sorum/Adler - Who's in, who's not, why etc.?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adler/Sorum - Sorum/Adler - Who's in, who's not, why etc.?  (Read 32695 times)
overmatik
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 06:00:55 AM »

The one drummer that casual fans associate with GNR is Adler, so if he won't be the drummer Frank is the obvious choice. Matt would bring too much baggage and it wouldn't be that much of an improvement on Frank, probably would be more expensive also.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 06:40:31 AM »

Josh Freese is criminally forgotten in the GNR world.
He is one of if not best modern rock drummer of the world. The hardest GNR song to play on drums is Oh My God, imo.
I think it's pretty cool. He also did Riad and TWAT's drum arrangement - both really, really cool drums.
Absolutely brilliant drum tracks. Theres Street Of Dreams and Prostitute as well.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 06:42:21 AM »

nope, actually Sorum rage-quit in 1997 and Duff later, probably amicably, in 1998. just sayin'.
According to Matt he was fired after a argument with Axl.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2016, 06:57:10 AM »

Remember 95-99% of the fans have never heard of Frank or seen him play.

WTF are you talking about. That's ridiculous.
Millions of FANS did see GN'R on tour 2006-2014. Frank has been in the band over 10 years.

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2016, 07:12:04 AM »

First option STEVEN ADLER,i cant imagine the original guys leaving him behaind,he deserves to be there,he was one of the creators of tha AFD sound,and he has beg all his life for this,let him play maybe 5 or 6 song per show.And the rest of the show Ferrer if he is still there or Sorum,but for sure Adler has to be there.He can play,we have seen many videos so.....let him play.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2016, 07:17:28 AM »

Why would Matt Sorum be so tight lipped if he wasn't involved?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ09UaiDas0

Respect? Professionalism? Because some of his friends asked him to answer "no comment" til those actually involved decide to make an announcement (or play their first gig)?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »

The one drummer that casual fans associate with GNR is Adler, so if he won't be the drummer Frank is the obvious choice. Matt would bring too much baggage and it wouldn't be that much of an improvement on Frank, probably would be more expensive also.

Personally, I think only the more serious fans have a drummer preference.  Most casual fans don't know who the drummer is.  I'm a casual fan of Green Day, for example, I couldn't name their drummer(s?) without looking it up. 
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »

For God's sake, Frank is drumming. Source: Frank. Frank telling people at other gigs he's doing it. Frank heading to L.A. for rehearsals. Frank.

drool
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »

My theory is there will be two bands... The "touring band" and the Coachella lineup.  Since Coachella is such a HUGE event and close to LA, this is where you will get the AFD 5 and some UYI lineups to make everyone happy... Then, when the stadium tour starts, you get the Franks, Richards, Pittman's plus Slash, Duff, Axl etc... 
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »

Respect? Professionalism? Because some of his friends asked him to answer "no comment" til those actually involved decide to make an announcement (or play their first gig)?

Maybe... It seems very stange to me after knowing how outspoken he's been in the past.  It just seems clear to me that we'll see him guest on some songs maybe not at coachella but after

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 11:34:40 AM »

The only issue I see with the "AFD 5" playing Coachella is that this will be the first time in a long time a shitload of people will be paying attention to GNR in 20 years.

And are you ready to count on Adler in such a big spot?  Would concern me.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »

Or that no-one is obliged to answer questions posed out in public by someone with a camera and a contact at TMZ?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »

The only issue I see with the "AFD 5" playing Coachella is that this will be the first time in a long time a shitload of people will be paying attention to GNR in 20 years.

If they did that, which I doubt... Frank is going to be there in some roll, sort of the how Sorum was on stage during the RRHOF (Sorum could have swapped in for Paradise City if SCOM went poorly). Frank could do the same at any point if they gave Steven a go... I just don't see it other than a one song guest spot and I wouldn't do this at the biggest show the band has played in 20+ years.
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »

Maybe because ambushing someone at an airport is really rude, and the less Matt says, the less chance there is anyone will bug him again?

Also if he says "Mickey Mouse is on drums" it'll be all over the internet in 0.5 seconds.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »

I think Axl has never cared about drums and drummers in general. He's always been the piano/orchestra guy, so he doesn't give a fuck about it. Looks like everybody can play drums in gnr.

Frank is a good drummer as many others. Matt was like a drum machine. Brain was the greatest one (even if in gnr didn't do a good job imho) but i think he was more a "trojan horse" to get buckethead in.  Adler was for sure one of a kind and imho the best choice for a "classic gnr sound" but really too weak to play something heavier and for a long time.

That being said, probably frank is the best choice cause in Axl's mind he's just the bum bum cha guy and he doesn't need /want to have any additional problem

I?m afraid you?re completely wrong here. Just off the top of my head I can remember two interviews with two different GN?R drummers. One of them with Matt explaining why he played certain parts in the DC-NR-EST trio the way he played them and how they figured this with Axl. The more recent interview was with Brain (in 2015 or 14), and he talked about the Bucket era; he?d played some drum parts to Axl, with one little piece where he omitted a single kick-drum note ? and Axl noticed that immediately. Brain said something like "that man knows his shit". Not to mention what he said in general about recording of his parts for ChD.

So apparently, Axl cares about the music as a whole (and mainly his parts, of course) but also about individual instruments and musicians and their contribution.
In fact, saying that Axl didn?t care about something that concerned recording ChinDem is utter nonsense, imo.

Hell has frozen over.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2016, 11:50:51 AM »

If they did that, which I doubt... Frank is going to be there in some roll, sort of the how Sorum was on stage during the RRHOF (Sorum could have swapped in for Paradise City if SCOM went poorly). Frank could do the same at any point if they gave Steven a go... I just don't see it other than a one song guest spot and I wouldn't do this at the biggest show the band has played in 20+ years.

Because this is a "come back" per se, this is really this biggest concert in the history of Guns when you look at the whole situation.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »

I think Axl has never cared about drums and drummers in general. He's always been the piano/orchestra guy, so he doesn't give a fuck about it. Looks like everybody can play drums in gnr.

I don't think that statement could be further from the truth... While some of it isn't my favorite drumming style he had to of the most respected drummers in the industry in Josh Freese and Brain back to back, and that was calculated... as was stated above, he listened to and nitpicked over ever percussive 'note' on the album.

Frank is a good drummer as many others.

I am a huge proponent of the 'classic era' of GnR but of the drummers that have taken a stage with GnR I think top to bottom Frank is the best drummer they have had.

Matt was like a drum machine. Brain was the greatest one (even if in gnr didn't do a good job imho) but i think he was more a "trojan horse" to get buckethead in.

If anyone sounds like a drum machine it's Brain... there are times when they played live that I actually wondered if his drums were actively mic'd up because it sounded like the backing drum track of a hip hop album... and honestly that isn't even meant as a slight, it shows how good he is, but my opinion (based on my musical interests) is that he wasn't a great fit, specifically for the classic lineup material.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:57:46 AM by C0ma » Logged
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »

I?d rather take my chances with the guys responsible for AFD-UYI?s existence than have safe, reliable, session artists(regardless of how talented they may be) in their place just to keep the gravy train rolling. Would actually be surprised if Slash and Duff really agreed to an Izzy, Steven, Matt-less GN?R.

If it?s a comeback, or a reunion of GN?R, then put GN?R up there on stage and live with the results.

Fortus, Pitman and Frank may be popular choices on this board, but you?d be hard pressed to find someone on the street who knows these people exist, never mind take them over the classic lineup.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »

I?d rather take my chances with the guys responsible for AFD-UYI?s existence than have safe, reliable, session artists(regardless of how talented they may be) in their place just to keep the gravy train rolling. Would actually be surprised if Slash and Duff really agreed to an Izzy, Steven, Matt-less GN?R.

They played for 3 years without Steven and nearly 2.5 without Izzy.

Izzy made a decision, they understand it, and moved on. I'm sure they'd happily play with him , but they will also play without him.
As far as Steven is concerned, if they were all comfortable with him he would have played a role in one of the many projects they worked on in the past, but he didn't... Snake Pit, VR, Loaded, the list goes on and on... no one has worked with him since he was bounced in 1990 (few random one off's excluded)... but none of them were the biggest concert the band has played in decades.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 12:18:13 PM »

As far as Steven is concerned, if they were all comfortable with him he would have played a role in one of the many projects they worked on in the past, but he didn't... Snake Pit, VR, Loaded, the list goes on and on... no one has worked with him since he was bounced in 1990 (few random one off's excluded)... but none of them were the biggest concert the band has played in decades.

Agree with all of this, big time.

That bit in bold is always my answer to people telling me that Steven was so awesome.  Really?  Then how come he's done fuck all in 25 years?  And I don't just mean in general, which is true enough.  Even his own boys don't ring him up.  That's not telling?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: