Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?  (Read 23502 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »

Mainly because i would pick Tommy over Duff anyday of the week, as i would pick Bumble, Dj and Robin over Slash anyday of the week.

Dear God. That is so sad...really.

Why is that so sad? The guy is stating his preferences- what's wrong with that? I thought part of coming on a band's forum was t share opinions and thoughts. Why is it so awful that someone might like the playing of one musician over the other?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »

Didn't it ever strike you odd that Axl would never really elaborate on what supposedly had him so livid?

actually no. It was personal, and I never cared for the details nor did it concern me. All I/We could do is, either accept his stance, or refuse it.
The things got a bit awkward with all the name calling etc.

I always had high opinion of Axl... and unfortunately... reuniting just to go for the sake of a tour is something I'd expect from Motley Crue. Not Axl.

I see what you mean, but what happens if there is new music?

"...It don't really matter..."
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »

Mainly because i would pick Tommy over Duff anyday of the week, as i would pick Bumble, Dj and Robin over Slash anyday of the week.

Why is that so sad? The guy is stating his preferences- what's wrong with that? I thought part of coming on a band's forum was t share opinions and thoughts. Why is it so awful that someone might like the playing of one musician over the other?

Hahahahaha

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »

And now, please stop your whining. You're floating the board with all your negativity. rofl Sorry, couldn't resist. But I think I know you from the past.

I have almost 5000 posts in this message board, and have belonged to it for more than a decade. You have registered 4 months ago.

Can you please tell me how many times have I been ''negative'' and ''whiny'' regarding GNR in these 10+ years?

I believe he was joking.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2016, 04:56:14 PM »

I agree.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »

I'd get extremely sad if someone I love would pass away.

are you able to understand contexts? we are in a GNR message board, and you have more than 10K posts... yes, it's only a rock and roll band... geez...

What a waste of a post...

With 10k posts there's a lot of worthless posts, this being another one of those.  ok
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2016, 05:23:37 PM »

I share most of your feelings, estebanf

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2016, 05:42:05 PM »

Didn't it ever strike you odd that Axl would never really elaborate on what supposedly had him so livid?

actually no. It was personal, and I never cared for the details nor did it concern me. All I/We could do is, either accept his stance, or refuse it.
The things got a bit awkward with all the name calling etc.

I always had high opinion of Axl... and unfortunately... reuniting just to go for the sake of a tour is something I'd expect from Motley Crue. Not Axl.

I see what you mean, but what happens if there is new music?

it would ease my moral dilemma Cheesy

but I'd still be sad because Axls "solo project" was not as fruitful as it was expected to be Sad
its anticlimactic after all the things the fan base was through (not a critique of Axl, just a personal constation).

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »

Tommy brought one thing to the post-UYI lineup that no one else did at the time he joined...credibility.  Yes, the other players were/are talented, but none of them could touch Tommy's history with the 'Mats.  When it was first announced that he was in the band, I actually thought there was hope for GnR - that they could continue to produce relevant, important music...something I wasn't sure was possible after Duff left.  I was never a fan of the plaid suits, but considering the Barnum & Baileys look of the entire band at the time, it was hard to say Tommy didn't fit in in terms of style.  

But yes, I'm sad that Tommy is gone. I can only hope that it was on good terms.  He always struck me as very professional throughout his time in the band, and I'm sure he sees the big picture in all of this, whatever exactly that is.  I'd love to hear all the material he worked on with Axl over the years.  Maybe someday.

That said, seeing Duff, Axl, and Slash together on stage again?  That's a chemistry and a magic that I honestly didn't think I'd ever see again in my lifetime.
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2016, 07:48:31 PM »

I am bummed out by this.

Mainly because i would pick Tommy over Duff anyday of the week, as i would pick Bumble, Dj and Robin over Slash anyday of the week. Its just my preference.

Im happy that they are friends again, at least i hope its not one those, ok we hate each other, lets make a cash grab tour and call it a day.

The classic lineup was great while it lasted, im not super hyped to see a middle aged version of the ritz 1988 show when the original is on youtube.

I can only hope that we will continue seeing three hour shows with songs ranging from Nice Boys to Prostitute.

I really hope im wrong, but i cant help but think that this is the day GNR stopped being exciting.

Great post and I agree with Estaban also

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Muerto
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2016, 09:02:15 PM »

My only two times I saw Gn'R in MX were with Tommy, but I think this is a great chance for this lineup, I hope they will tour peace
PatrickS77
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2016, 01:16:07 PM »

But, to be brutally honest, I was never all that passionate about any post-2000 line-up.  I didn't so much like the replacment line-ups as tolerated them.  What choice had I?  It was that or nothing, literally nothing.

Exactly my sentiment. And even "tolerating" was some times hard. Would have had less of a problem with them, if Axl just would have toured as "Axl Rose", which, essentially it was and the way I  tried to look at it.

GNR Live:
1992-06-21 Basel
1993-06-26 Munich
Fake GNR 7x
Reunion GNR 23x
Zak Alexander
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »

the one thing I won't miss about tommy are those horrific backing vocals, other than that he was a huge part of GNR for a long time, I think it's the right time to move on for both him and the band.
PatrickS77
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »

I don't go too overboard with the "respect" angle when it comes to Axl Rose.  He's a dude that sings songs I like.  He's not my spirit guide or my mentor.

But, having said that, I'd have to say I have a hard time saying I would respect a guy more for holding on to a silly grudge for the rest of his life than I would for a guy that grew up and moved past it.

How is the former admirable?  Isn't the latter a better place to be as a human being?

Exactly.

GNR Live:
1992-06-21 Basel
1993-06-26 Munich
Fake GNR 7x
Reunion GNR 23x
PatrickS77
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »

Considering what I've come to know about Axl over the years, I guess it was the simple fact that Slash, instead of facing Axl, telling him what got him mad, just gave up and left GNR. And Axl felt betrayed and abandoned, even though he was the reason why Slash left and could never forgive him for that.

Basically.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:22:45 PM by PatrickS77 » Logged

GNR Live:
1992-06-21 Basel
1993-06-26 Munich
Fake GNR 7x
Reunion GNR 23x
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »

No need to come here and shit on the fact that Axl kept the band going.

Edited to add: It's ironic that some can't seem to just be happy with the recent news. That's not enough, they need to point out how they didn't like something about the old band, or just be plain disrespectful. Maybe that's the case with all the people who suddenly showed up after 10-20 years in exile. I don't know. But have some respect.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:23:33 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »

Not sorry at all about Tommy.  He quit on his own accord.  He was a professional, and it was a good gig for him for nearly 20 years.  Let us remember though that Tommy admitted that he was never really a fan of the music he was playing, so indeed, this was just a job.

Best wishes to him.  I'm sure he won't be unemployed.

Try impossible.  This is a total one way move.

You can't give them the GNR they know and love (or close to it) and then try and take it away again and expect people to get jazzed about yet another line-up of replacement guys.

Yep, I said this elsewhere.  If the reunion pans out, this will be the very last GNR lineup there shall ever be -- and Axl had to know that.  There's absolutely no going back if/when he agreed to reunite with Slash.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »

Personally, I have never hidden my wishes for a reunion. Fact. BUT, I am really thankful that the band continued the legacy and we've got Chinese Democracy. A unique album that will always stay there. I'm thankful I've seen the band live 4 times since 2006 and all the shows I've attended were amazing. To answer the topic, of course I'll miss Tommy. As much as I miss Robin to be honest. It's just that I grew up with Slash and Duff and I am more than excited to see what's coming from now on. I wish Tommy all the best and I'm sure he'll be around at some point.

"...It don't really matter..."
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »

Maybe a hint he's not totally out??

tommystinson
Has anyone seen the rocket queen?

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »

It's not confirmed who's 100% in the band yet. I'm sad the promise of the post-Slash era seems now to have no fuel in it  and the potential of future Bumble/Ashba/Stintson material now seems moot.

Tommy did a great job and kept the band up when others were thinking of folding. I wouldn't say I'm sad, but he had a underappreciated role in keeping GNR afloat between 1998 and 2015. Presumably his two year contract came to a close and may not have been renewed. However, when TS committed to the 'Mats dates and Duff played again, it seemed fairly clear to me that Tommy was at best... conflicted.

It's a one way street though. If it doesn't work, a lineup without Duff/Slash/Axl will have difficulty commercially calling itself GNR.

I'm happy that GNR are still making headlines, playing shows, and people are still interested in them. Thats great news.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: