Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses to Reunite for Coachella, Possible stadium tour (Billboard)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses to Reunite for Coachella, Possible stadium tour (Billboard)  (Read 141720 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #380 on: December 30, 2015, 01:38:03 PM »

25 stadiums seems a bit ambitious, no? Am I underestimating how big this could be? I'd expect a pretty big opening act to join on. Exciting times nonetheless!
.        http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/skid-row-splits-with-singer-tony-harnell/
A reunited Skid Row is a pretty big deal too, but I'm not sure how many extra tickets they'd sell. Baz has been pretty tame and quiet of late though, hasn't he? They could very well be included, maybe a modern band too?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #381 on: December 30, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »

25 stadiums seems a bit ambitious, no? Am I underestimating how big this could be? I'd expect a pretty big opening act to join on. Exciting times nonetheless!
.        http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/skid-row-splits-with-singer-tony-harnell/
A reunited Skid Row is a pretty big deal too, but I'm not sure how many extra tickets they'd sell. Baz has been pretty tame and quiet of late though, hasn't he? They could very well be included, maybe a modern band too?

I am a big Skid Row fan, having both bands would be extraordinary
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #382 on: December 30, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »

Rock music was at its peak just about when Guns was. It's hard to compare anything in the modern day rock world to anything experienced in the 80's, 90's, and prior. For people who became interested in GNR during the CD era, that's what they knew best and cared about. I'm not sure why you can't accept that.

Perhaps I am phrasing this inartfully.

I suppose, at the base, what I'm saying is that it was WAY harder for us to get over the classic band, right?  We had to give up after a magical run most bands only dream about, and then cast our lot with god knows who.

The CD era fans never had a stable band anyway.  But with whatever they had now being gone, I would think it an easier transition for them seeing "their guys" replaced with people with the pedigree of Slash and Duff.  But in terms of O.G. GNR cred, as well as cred in the industry, just in in general.

Is any of this making sense?

Makes perfect sense... which is why I never understood the people who would argue against Axl, Slash, and Duff in favor of Axl, Bucket, Robin, and Tommy... but again some of them never saw the classic lineup. They never experienced near constant radio play, video rotation (some of them don't know what MTV once was), awards shows almost every year, etc...

BUT what they have seen is an album (which is their White Album for some reason), significant touring, DVD's, an army of bootlegs, some very accessible members of the band (ex. Bumble)... and more importantly they had this and other sites to form a community that suffered together over a long time. We didn't have (or really even need) that back in the 90's. We had it 'easy' from 87-93... they never had it easy, they almost had to 'fight' as fans. I can see why they might actually have a stronger connection to the CD era band than even we do to the classic lineup.

I don't know, sometimes I talk out of my ass, and I'm tired...
Very well said. Painted a perfect picture as to why some may love the CD era of Guns over any other. Obviously doesn't work for everyone, but there are reasons if you open your mind to them.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #383 on: December 30, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »

IDK. I think without being associated with Gn'r or Axl...a reunited Skid Row has all of the draw and demand these days to maybe fill
my local bar & grill
fozzie10
Headliner

« Reply #384 on: December 30, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »

Not going through a 20 page thread but IF those ticket prices are to be believed they're a shade on the high side,unless of course you just want suits in the front row of the gig,certainly makes the ?45 quid i paid to see the band back in 2012 an utter bargain.
Annie
« Reply #385 on: December 30, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »

I hope this isn't a stupid question.  If it's a stadium tour would a Chicago stop be in United Center or at Soldier Field?

Probably Soldier Field.
You are probably right. It was wishful thinking on my part that it would be United Center cuz I don't like shows at Soldier Field. My boss and some of the doctors I work with are huge GNR fans so hopefully we will all see a kickass GNR show this summer!  
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #386 on: December 30, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »

Not going through a 20 page thread but IF those ticket prices are to be believed they're a shade on the high side,unless of course you just want suits in the front row of the gig,certainly makes the ?45 quid i paid to see the band back in 2012 an utter bargain.

If 300 is on the high side for the most expensive seat n the house.   I would say that is very reasonable.   I suppose it just comes from where you are at     

I am sure there will be some lower end 100 tickets far away from the stage. 

There will probably also be a $30 blue ray released as well. 

It's always cheaper to stay home.  And if a couple of hundred bucks is someone's make it or break it point in life they probably should just stay home.   

I for one would be willing to pay a lot more to see slash and Axl on stage again
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #387 on: December 30, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »

IDK. I think without being associated with Gn'r or Axl...a reunited Skid Row has all of the draw and demand these days to maybe fill
my local bar & grill

I agree, there is no real draw there. Skid Row was never 'the next big thing' like GnR was back in the day. I could see a reunited Skid Row on a late 80's/early 90's nostalgia tour with Poison.

If you thought that GnR needed another act to fill seats, it would need to be someone popular today. You may even be able to get an act that could fill an ampitheater or small arena themselves to sign on... Think of when GnR signed on to open for the Rolling Stones in Europe.
Jude
Rocker

« Reply #388 on: December 30, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »

I'm personally so happy about the news, even though a lot can still happen before April. I believe this comeback when I see it with my own eyes, but so far everything looks promising. IF the comeback happens, I just hope that everybody will prepare for it properly, I don't want to see Axl getting out of breath on the stage because he hasn't trained well enough for the live set etc.. I want to see something like we saw in 2009-2010 from Axl, that's enough for me.

fozzie10
Headliner

« Reply #389 on: December 30, 2015, 01:58:33 PM »

If 300 is on the high side for the most expensive seat n the house.   I would say that is very reasonable.   I suppose it just comes from where you are at     

It's always cheaper to stay home.  And if a couple of hundred bucks is someone's make it or break it point in life they probably should just stay home.   

I for one would be willing to pay a lot more to see slash and Axl on stage again

Whoa there baby i paid ?300 this summer for two tickets for Fleetwood Mac so personally paying high prices isnt new to me,but i'll say this it isnt a full reunion by any means (dont suppose it could be with Adler) and those prices,again if true thats on the high side,so why play to half empty stadiums when you lower them to fill them,ive always thought that i dont care about the act whoever is playing unless you're a guaranteed sell out nowadays and simply put there's not many of them left are there?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #390 on: December 30, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »

Whoa there baby i paid ?300 this summer for two tickets for Fleetwood Mac so personally paying high prices isnt new to me,but i'll say this it isnt a full reunion by any means (dont suppose it could be with Adler) and those prices,again if true thats on the high side,so why play to half empty stadiums when you lower them to fill them,ive always thought that i dont care about the act whoever is playing unless you're a guaranteed sell out nowadays and simply put there's not many of them left are there?

If that can't fill the stadiums.   They won't be playing them. 

The line up still hasn't even been anounced.   It could vary from city to town

i suppose this won't be the show for you then.   If you wanted a smaller guns show at a cheaper price you had that the past 10 years
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #391 on: December 30, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »

so why play to half empty stadiums when you lower them to fill them,ive always thought that i dont care about the act whoever is playing unless you're a guaranteed sell out nowadays and simply put there's not many of them left are there?

If they half fill a Stadium that is more seats/tickets/people than if you pack an arena to the rafters.
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #392 on: December 30, 2015, 02:06:38 PM »

I am a big Skid Row fan, having both bands would be extraordinary

Me too... that would be a dream show

//JK
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #393 on: December 30, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »

so why play to half empty stadiums when you lower them to fill them,ive always thought that i dont care about the act whoever is playing unless you're a guaranteed sell out nowadays and simply put there's not many of them left are there?

If they half fill a Stadium that is more seats/tickets/people than if you pack an arena to the rafters.

It's a valid point. Plus I still challenge that the Gn'r with Bumble, DJ, Dippy, Droopy and Sneezy had a shot to fill up a stadium 50-75% depending on the city..just because of Axl and the Gn'r name. Some places no chance, but I'm telling you in NY area Gn'r are still enormous.
A reunited lineup will max out Metlife stadium with proper time and advertising
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #394 on: December 30, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »

That's where I think they are.

I think in most major markets, they can fill more than an arena, but perhaps not a full stadium.

So do you take the guaranteed 100% sold out arena, or the 70% full stadium.  Dunno.  Not sure what they numbers and projection indicate.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #395 on: December 30, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »

It's a valid point. Plus I still challenge that the Gn'r with Bumble, DJ, Dippy, Droopy and Sneezy had a shot to fill up a stadium 50-75% depending on the city..just because of Axl and the Gn'r name. Some places no chance, but I'm telling you in NY area Gn'r are still enormous.
A reunited lineup will max out Metlife stadium with proper time and advertising

No chance in hell.

First off, you could probably not even get that booked.  You can't just book a venue based on your hunch and hope people show up.  They did this in 2002 and lost their shirts. 

You'd have to have numbers and projections that support your premise. Axl and a bunch of guys named Harry aren't moving 40,000 tickets anywhere, even calling it Guns N' Roses.

A stadium tour with Axl & Slash is no slam dunk.  Stadium tours are very, very hard endeavors in the U.S.  Unless you are Taylor Swift, Beyonc?, or some country festival...very tough.  Even U2 moved back to arenas.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:38:16 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #396 on: December 30, 2015, 03:04:41 PM »

So do you take the guaranteed 100% sold out arena, or the 70% full stadium.  Dunno.  Not sure what they numbers and projection indicate.

Even if it might be more expensive (I don't know) to arrange a stadium concert, I think they'll make more money overall from the latter option.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #397 on: December 30, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »

I didn't think it could get much better than Axl bringing GnR back in 2006, or finally releasing Chinese Democracy. 

This all truly seems too good to be true.  I can't even process the possibility of a Bach-fronted Skid Row in the picture, too.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #398 on: December 30, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »

Even if it might be more expensive (I don't know) to arrange a stadium concert, I think they'll make more money overall from the latter option.

There are SOME economies of scale.  I've only done spot work for stadiums...and it was a LONG time ago as a "loaner" when I was working at the New Haven Colliseium...but it's not, say, 2x to 3x as expensive to run a stadium show as it is to run an arena show.

I don't know the break even point, but...yes..it's "more expensive", but not "as expensive" per seat, say.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #399 on: December 30, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »

I didn't think it could get much better than Axl bringing GnR back in 2006, or finally releasing Chinese Democracy. 

This all truly seems too good to be true.  I can't even process the possibility of a Bach-fronted Skid Row in the picture, too.

I still love Skid Row, but often assume I am something of a voice in the wilderness there.

As to your other point, I was actually more excited about the return in 2006 than I was for the album.  After the 2002 disaster, the more time wore on, I assumed he was giving up.  To have him not only come back, but look and sound so awesome was great.

But once he did come back, I sort of knew the album would be dropped eventually.  So not as much of a surprise factor, at least for me.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: