Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 06:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses to Reunite for Coachella, Possible stadium tour (Billboard)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses to Reunite for Coachella, Possible stadium tour (Billboard)  (Read 152224 times)
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »

Anyone wondered how they're going to go terminology wise with the press release, assuming the hybrid lineup thing is true? Can't really call it a classic lineup reunion, or an Appetite reunion or whatever. My prediction is whatever video trailer we get if we get one will go for the individual names of the main 3.

'for the first time in over 20 years

Axl

Slash

Duff'

Then flash up the classic logo. I'd say that would do the job.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #361 on: December 30, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »

Anyone wondered how they're going to go terminology wise with the press release, assuming the hybrid lineup thing is true? Can't really call it a classic lineup reunion, or an Appetite reunion or whatever. My prediction is whatever video trailer we get if we get one will go for the individual names of the main 3.

Axl

Slash

Duff'

With this playing in the background.  Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpRap-zHZHY

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #362 on: December 30, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »

Axl

Slash

Duff'

With this playing in the background.  Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpRap-zHZHY

PERFECT! Someone get this man a contract.  rofl
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #363 on: December 30, 2015, 12:29:27 PM »

Axl

Slash

Duff'

That's why I'm not convinced that Adler and Izzy won't be involved, at least in some way
Probably go with a Guns N Roses & Friends mantra, which could include all,some or none of anyone associated with this band ..ever
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #364 on: December 30, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »

..... assuming he's still 5ft 8.

Why would you think his height has changed??  nervous

j/k  Tongue

As far as football stadiums go, maybe college stadiums could be an option.
Not from that area but any GNR line-up performing at an 80,000+ capacity University of Notre Dame Stadium in the shadows of Touchdown Jesus would be a sight to behold.  Grin

First of all, in general, i think discussion or speculation about Axl's appearance is ridiculous.  Who the hell cares.  I just hope he's on his game as far as the music goes.  (I know the height thing is a joke, not referring to this post.) 

Secondly, I think stadiums are super ambitious.  Not saying they can't pull it off, but that is a tough nut to crack.  During the Illusions tours they only did stadiums with Metallica in the u.s.  Currently the only acts that can consistently sell out stadiums   are Taylor Swift, U2, Stones, Springsteen and thats about it.

ACDC did a stadium tour and we're selling half to 3/4 of the tix.  Thats fine for them as they get paid upfront but not a great look for the band when they are selling tickets for $10 on groupon. 

Unless Guns was going out with another BIG name, unless im underestimating the demand, i would think that arenas would be the call.  Especially over the summer in the US the arenas arent booked for shit so they could keep adding shows in the better markets like new york chicago LA etc. 

Somewhat timely, and on that note (and granted, this is globally):

http://loudwire.com/acdc-sold-more-tickets-any-touring-act-2015/

They might not be selling out but a) they seem to be making money for promoters and b) it seems like they'd be "too big" for arenas, and leave money on the table.

I think, in many markets, you might see GnR do the same thing...fill the stadium 3/4 of the way.  Thats enough, and pretty freaking impressive in this music climate.

In NYC, LA, Miami, and maybe some other select markets? I'd expect near sell outs.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #365 on: December 30, 2015, 12:37:06 PM »

Axl

Slash

Duff'

That's why I'm not convinced that Adler and Izzy won't be involved, at least in some way
Probably go with a Guns N Roses & Friends mantra, which could include all,some or none of anyone associated with this band ..ever

I definitely think Izzy will pop up there a few times... he is very close with all parties... don't see why he wouldn't on at least a part time basis.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #366 on: December 30, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »

I think it's a pretty good bet Izzy will pop up to do some songs, at some shows, as he sees fit.  I'd be surprised if he wasn't at Coachella, if GnR is there.

Adler?  I just don't know. For an unannounced guest shot, I suppose, maybe.  Because if something happened and it fell through....well, no big deal.  But this is the "piece" I would say, given everything, is least likely.

But then, 8 months ago I would have said the same about Axl, Slash, and Duff ever sharing a stage together, so.....

Together again,
matty29
Headliner

« Reply #367 on: December 30, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »

..... assuming he's still 5ft 8.

Why would you think his height has changed??  nervous

j/k  Tongue

As far as football stadiums go, maybe college stadiums could be an option.
Not from that area but any GNR line-up performing at an 80,000+ capacity University of Notre Dame Stadium in the shadows of Touchdown Jesus would be a sight to behold.  Grin

First of all, in general, i think discussion or speculation about Axl's appearance is ridiculous.  Who the hell cares.  I just hope he's on his game as far as the music goes.  (I know the height thing is a joke, not referring to this post.) 

Secondly, I think stadiums are super ambitious.  Not saying they can't pull it off, but that is a tough nut to crack.  During the Illusions tours they only did stadiums with Metallica in the u.s.  Currently the only acts that can consistently sell out stadiums   are Taylor Swift, U2, Stones, Springsteen and thats about it.

ACDC did a stadium tour and we're selling half to 3/4 of the tix.  Thats fine for them as they get paid upfront but not a great look for the band when they are selling tickets for $10 on groupon. 

Unless Guns was going out with another BIG name, unless im underestimating the demand, i would think that arenas would be the call.  Especially over the summer in the US the arenas arent booked for shit so they could keep adding shows in the better markets like new york chicago LA etc. 

Somewhat timely, and on that note (and granted, this is globally):

http://loudwire.com/acdc-sold-more-tickets-any-touring-act-2015/

They might not be selling out but a) they seem to be making money for promoters and b) it seems like they'd be "too big" for arenas, and leave money on the table.

I think, in many markets, you might see GnR do the same thing...fill the stadium 3/4 of the way.  Thats enough, and pretty freaking impressive in this music climate.

In NYC, LA, Miami, and maybe some other select markets? I'd expect near sell outs.

Fair point, however there are two major factors you need to take into account.  First is that their ticket prices were tired at approx

1. $120
2. $95
3. $45

The billboard article, granted its not necessarily correct was talking about tix ranging up to 250-275 ea. 

The larger issue in my opinion is that AC/DC kind of fly's under the radar with their touring as compared to a  GNR reunion tour.   If there isn't an element of exclusivity or scarcity of supply it can create the sense that the tour isn't a big deal after all.  It's kind of like the nightclub effect.  The longer the line, the hotter the club.  Find a club with no line and you'll quickly see the regulars move on.  Anyhow, when tours like this happen, the media jumps on the story and can really impact the public perception of it.  I personally would like to see this tour be an overwhelming success.  Not just for Guns but for the genre in general.   

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #368 on: December 30, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »

If the Kimmel thing is real, I guess we'll know on Saturday.

They usually post next weeks guests that day.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #369 on: December 30, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »

THe line-up I think will tie up with the gambling machine, others members being hired guns rather than partners
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #370 on: December 30, 2015, 12:48:14 PM »

I think it's a pretty good bet Izzy will pop up to do some songs, at some shows, as he sees fit.  I'd be surprised if he wasn't at Coachella, if GnR is there.

Adler?  I just don't know. For an unannounced guest shot, I suppose, maybe.  Because if something happened and it fell through....well, no big deal.  But this is the "piece" I would say, given everything, is least likely.

But then, 8 months ago I would have said the same about Axl, Slash, and Duff ever sharing a stage together, so.....

I hear you.
Just think it would add a little more spice to an already incredible happening...they may just say it's gonna be Axl, Slash & Duff and a set combo of other players..but then that depending on the city or location you could see a host of surprise guests and leave it open to the possibility of Adler grooving to some Appetite stuff...Sorum on some Illusion stuff...Izzy here and there...this is how I'd approach it at least  peace
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #371 on: December 30, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »

We'll know about jimmy kimmel next week unless it's a surprise appearance and that will not be listed or it will be listed under a different name for impact purposes  beer

Wasn't Gn'r The frogs at the vmc's 2002?

Chinese Democracy!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #372 on: December 30, 2015, 12:54:32 PM »

Fair point, however there are two major factors you need to take into account.  First is that their ticket prices were tired at approx

1. $120
2. $95
3. $45

The billboard article, granted its not necessarily correct was talking about tix ranging up to 250-275 ea. 

I'm assuming that 250 is upper tier pricing, but we'll see.  It's steep..but it's also been 22 years since some of these guys shared a stage, collectively.  That's going to drive demand, so they can probably get away with premium pricing this go round.

The larger issue in my opinion is that AC/DC kind of fly's under the radar with their touring as compared to a  GNR reunion tour.   If there isn't an element of exclusivity or scarcity of supply it can create the sense that the tour isn't a big deal after all.  It's kind of like the nightclub effect.  The longer the line, the hotter the club.  Find a club with no line and you'll quickly see the regulars move on.  Anyhow, when tours like this happen, the media jumps on the story and can really impact the public perception of it.  I personally would like to see this tour be an overwhelming success.  Not just for Guns but for the genre in general.   

AC/DC has also been touring, regularly, together for the last 30+ years.  

THESE particular members (assuming rumors are true) of GnR haven't toured under the banner, together, in over 20.   That's going to make it a hot ticket.  25 shows in NA, for 50 states, Canada, and Mexico is going to drive demand, too.  Stadiums sound like they offer ample supply, but they will likely, each, be drawing from multiple states and metro areas.

I get the "exclusivity" argument, but...unless you're talking the pop princess shows, it hasn't ever really seemed to hold that kind of sway over rock fans.  Whether the show sells out, or not, won't (I don't think) effect ticket sales for THIS particular go round of shows.  The "reunion" itself is enough to make the ticket noteworthy and create buzz.  

I'd like to see Guns be successful because I'd like to see them continue to tour, down the road.  I don't have any illusions (pun intended) that this will revitalize the rock genre around the world (and again, I refer back to earlier posts on the topic...I mean "real" rock and roll, not what the Billboard charts have redefined rock to be).  It would be nice, but I think that's putting a little too much on Guns shoulders, at this point.

Together again,
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #373 on: December 30, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »

Would GN'R play a concert in the LA area if they are playing Coachella?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #374 on: December 30, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »

I would think so... There is huge demographic swing in the person who would go to a festival vs. a stadium with seats and much better amenities.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #375 on: December 30, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »

Probably?

I guess it would depend on when their "summer" tour starts.  If it's pretty much right after Coachella (which, really, is in the spring), maybe not.

But if they do Coachella, and then start the stadium leg in, say, June or later?  Yeah, I think you tack on the CA shows at the end: First in San Fran, then finish up in LA.  You could do it the other way, too, I guess...start in LA and work east.

Plus, those are going to be very different shows, with very different audiences and demos.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #376 on: December 30, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »

I would think so... There is huge demographic swing in the person who would go to a festival vs. a stadium with seats and much better amenities.

I would also think a lot of people in the area would want to go and won't be able to get in to Coachella due to availability and maybe pricing.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
1980Invasion
Opening Act

« Reply #377 on: December 30, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »

25 stadiums seems a bit ambitious, no? Am I underestimating how big this could be? I'd expect a pretty big opening act to join on. Exciting times nonetheless!
.        http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/skid-row-splits-with-singer-tony-harnell/
1980Invasion
Opening Act

« Reply #378 on: December 30, 2015, 01:26:38 PM »

Man...i'm here imagining reunited Skid Row opening up for reunited GNR in Giants Stadium or whatever....c'mon if Axl/Slash made up , Sebastian / Bolan surely can too!!  beer
.        http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/skid-row-splits-with-singer-tony-harnell/
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #379 on: December 30, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »

25 stadiums seems a bit ambitious, no? Am I underestimating how big this could be? I'd expect a pretty big opening act to join on. Exciting times nonetheless!

Yeah, I read the Skid Row thing a while back

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/sebastian_bach_is_interested_in_gnr_and_skid_row_reunion_tour.html
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: