Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:42:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses to Reunite for Coachella, Possible stadium tour (Billboard)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses to Reunite for Coachella, Possible stadium tour (Billboard)  (Read 141707 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »

Baseball would be tougher because its the middle of their season and their field would get fucked up.

They might have a game 2 days later.

They do have Summer concerts at Fenway every year, they just plan it around things like the All Star Break and longer road trips. They have had The Dropkick Murphy's, Dave Matthew, Rolling Stones, Zac Brown Band, Billy Joel, Neil Diamond, Foo Fighters, Springsteen, Paul McCartney among others... but even those shows were part of a much larger tour than what is being talked about here.

I just think you squeeze more people into a football stadium.

Kenan
Opening Act

« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2015, 07:55:33 AM »

Pavarotti was a fat cunt and even with a fuckin cancer he could sing his ass off...In 2010 Axl was overweighted and probably was his best years in the last 15... Voice is not affected by weight plus he doesn't have to jump like a monkey on the stage anymore...He looks good, he obviously could improve a little but if his metabolism works that way, you can't do anything...

Finally, some common sense. Weight has very little to do with voice (unless we are talking extreme obesity or perhaps anorexia). If I had to choose between 54 yr old Axl being fit enough to run around stage and with a so-so voice and little less "mobile" Axl with a full blown focused voice, I choose latter.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »

Baseball would be tougher because its the middle of their season and their field would get fucked up.

They might have a game 2 days later.

Yeah, and, quite frankly, baseball stadiums are not set up to do concerts as well as football stadiums are, IMHO. At least the ones I've seen at (new) Yankee Stadium and the old Shea Stadium.  They're just not configured NEARLY as well.  Football stadiums definitely work better, with an end zone configured show.  Better site lines, less "dead space", more capacity, etc.

Every time they do a show at Yankee stadium, during the summer, the field gets beat to hell.  It takes weeks for it to recover.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #303 on: December 30, 2015, 07:59:36 AM »

Pavarotti was a fat cunt and even with a fuckin cancer he could sing his ass off...In 2010 Axl was overweighted and probably was his best years in the last 15... Voice is not affected by weight plus he doesn't have to jump like a monkey on the stage anymore...He looks good, he obviously could improve a little but if his metabolism works that way, you can't do anything...

Finally, some common sense. Weight has very little to do with voice (unless we are talking extreme obesity or perhaps anorexia). If I had to choose between 54 yr old Axl being fit enough to run around stage and with a so-so voice and little less "mobile" Axl with a full blown focused voice, I choose latter.

You act like being in shape would be detrimental to singing well. Surely part of performing well is the ability to
Move??
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #304 on: December 30, 2015, 07:59:43 AM »

Yeah, I didn't mean it's gonna be NFL only stadiums. Just that the article specified football as the sport. So maybe the baseball stadiums are out of running.

But since most major metropolitan areas in the USA have at least one NFL team, those would be high on the list don't you think?

/jarmo

Oh, I think the NFL stadiums are the place to go, if thats the option.  They're bigger, and the more modern ones are pretty well appointed in terms of facilities and other amenities.  And I think there are "other" stadium options (like in LA) where there isn't an NFL team near by....maybe not as nice, but certainly useable.

I believe (and I look closer) I read an article about a year ago when the LA Franchise talk was heating up in the NFL that an organization was making some short term upgrades to the LA Colosseum to support a team for a few years until they could be a new stadium built.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #305 on: December 30, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »

theres a few things i agree with here. i dont think hell be forced into it, and i dont think he would do it for money or to be "back on top".

this could be just everyone pretending its gonna happen and hoping hell play along. not likely, but theres a chance. its happened before right? if that was the case and he decided to just ignore it, that would make him pretty awesome by me. it would be a very axl thing to do. now dont get your panties in a twist, i know it looks like its happening, but im talking about a what if here.

i dont feel like my version/era of gnr is dying, but i do think the cd era was very interesting and unprecedented. not to mention, my favorite album came out of it. to see it replaced by something weve already had, and for that to swallow up any prospect of anything new, would be for me the less interesting of two hypothetical alternatives. dont get me wrong, id still be stoked if the band did anything including a reunion, but id be lying if i didnt say new music was what i really wanted.

as fortus pointed out before, this would have to be about more than money. if its not about money, and axl doesnt care about coming out on top again (which i doubt he does), then what is it about?

you could say its about making people happy. i get that. just look around, folks are stoked!

but has that ever been how axl operated? he seems to be about something that is more important to himself than pleasing the masses. so why the quick 180? doing it because he lost 2 guitarists and having no alternative (when there are other alternatives, just not ones that will please people as much) sounds a lot like being forced into it, and i dont see him doing that. unless its come down to some situation where he would be bankrupting himself by not doing it because of some legal stuff or what have you, i dont see him being forced into this.

take it how you want, just my thoughts on the subject for the day.

cool pic by the way! hope whoever threw it up on the net had permission if he was trying to stay hidden.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:06:27 AM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #306 on: December 30, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »

I believe (and I look closer) I read an article about a year ago when the LA Franchise talk was heating up in the NFL that an organization was making some short term upgrades to the LA Colosseum to support a team for a few years until they could be a new stadium built.

True.  I'm not sure how far along that is, though.  I've seen articles say the same thing, but they all make it sound like they're holding off til someone commits to actually moving a team there (as in, signs the paperwork).  I've also seen talk that it's revitalization might be part of a 2024 bid for the Olympics.

Edit: Here's the USC plans (https://news.usc.edu/88002/usc-reveals-preliminary-plan-to-renovate-la-coliseum/) for a longer term reno.  Actually, that could get in the way of things more than anything...though it doesn't look like it would start til 2017, in earnest.

But the Rose Bowl would certainly work for an LA area show, too.  Plus, it has some historical significance.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:06:39 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #307 on: December 30, 2015, 08:10:31 AM »

Axl isn't Pavarotti, he doesn't sing that way and he certainly doesn't perform that way. Some people like to ignore the 'weak periods' in Axl's voice is the past 13-14 years or so of touring, but when he sounded the best, he was in the best shape... and to draw a parallel when he sounded the best he was less likely to 'layer' his clothing on stage like he was 'hiding something'

2002 he sounded weak, his voice had no signature bite or rasp (dressed in overly baggy clothes, typically layered with a long sleeve TShirt under the Jerseys)
2006 he sounded amazing (tighter jeans, tshirts, open button downs, etc...)
2010-2013ish he started to struggle, very shrill and high pitched, lost breath occasionally (Leather Jackets zipped up, even in sweltering heat when is bandmates were sweating to death topless)

I'm sure I'll be attacked shortly by a few of the females here that get worried about men criticizing how another man looks, but for people who choose to open there eyes... there is a history here. If he gets in tip top almost athlete shape he performs better... Christ, look a Roger Daltry from The Who, he is 70 and looks like he could go 12 rounds with someone half his age... and he he's never slowed down vocally... the just had an HBO special and he still wails.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #308 on: December 30, 2015, 08:12:27 AM »

But the Rose Bowl would certainly work for an LA area show, too.  Plus, it has some historical significance.

And it does hold 92,000 people...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #309 on: December 30, 2015, 08:19:07 AM »

Yeah, and I think in the LA market....they can fill it. Smiley

And with the recent renos (they've put a ton of money into it since 2011), they've got enough amenities to keep the inevitable crush of celebs that want to attend happy, too.

I see the Rose Bowl as the best LA area option, even though it's in Pasadena but it's not the ONLY option.  It'll be interesting to see, if this all actually happens, which venue they choose there.  In most of the metro areas, it's sort of a no brainer where they would play...but in LA, its a little less obvious.

Together again,
Civil Attitude
Headliner

"And i think you knooooow the words"

« Reply #310 on: December 30, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »

GMA just ran a piece on the billboard rumor. They've also got the ticker on the bottom of the screen citing the April reunion date as well!! Is this what real publicity and advertising is!?!?

I'm super excited! Just dumbfounded with pure joy.. So ma y possibilities

Pleased to meet you....Hope you guessed my name...O Yeah,... But whats Puzzlin you is the  nature of my Game..
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #311 on: December 30, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »

You act like being in shape would be detrimental to singing well. Surely part of performing well is the ability to
Move??

i think its interesting that people are so bent on throwing this guy on a treadmill. and it makes me think some folks wont ever be happy. we want axl with slash! no no, we want 28 year old axl with slash! no no, we want 28 year old axl with slash, and light sabers! no no, blue light sabers!

its not like hes so big he cant move. he gained a little weight since his youth (who hasnt?) but its not like hes obese.

kenan, why did he sound so good at the end of the last residency? he hadnt really lost any weight then. i think this is just a case of people being shallow and wanting ax to behave according to their standards. more of the same old treating him like an object and hoping he acts like one.

robert daltrys voice is nowhere near as demanding as axls. pretty much no one's is. and how do you explain juan the beast? hes got the best axl impersonation out there, and he aint skinny god bless him.

besides, if people told me to lose weight so i could hypothetically sing and dance better for them, i was a 54 year old rock star, and everyone was going to pay to see my show either way, id laugh.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:52:03 AM by rj seitz » Logged

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #312 on: December 30, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »

I think being medically obese...and have no doubt Axl is medically obese in that picture is a) bad for his health, b) bad for his public image and c) bad for the legacy of GNR as far as the reunion performances are concerned🏬
. To say otherwise is to be dishonest
God I wish him the best but I am very worried on all points.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #313 on: December 30, 2015, 08:58:50 AM »

robert daltrys voice is nowhere near as demanding as axls. pretty much no one's is. and how do you explain juan the beast? hes got the best axl impersonation out there, and he aint skinny god bless him.

Not sure who Robert Daltry is, but Roger Daltry has a huge range... I love who people talk themselves into this Myth that no one else has a range like Axl, and no one else sings like Axl... I suppose that makes it easier to explain away his 'bad days' I guess.

In my opinion since the original 85-93 period, Axl never sounded better than he did in the 2006-2010 period... and that was when he was in the best shape of his later career. Yes the last residency sounded OK comparative to the previous 2 years of touring, but it never stood up to that 2006-2010 period, and shockingly he was in the best shape of the CD era during that time.

I'm not arguing that he needs to look like a 30 year old Adam Levine... just take a page from his new/old bass player and look more like Duff than Vince Neil, it will help.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #314 on: December 30, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »

I think being medically obese...and have no doubt Axl is medically obese in that picture is a) bad for his health, b) bad for his public image and c) bad for the legacy of GNR as far as the reunion performances are concerned🏬
. To say otherwise is to be dishonest
God I wish him the best but I am very worried on all points.

And if there were no internet and no tour, but they reunited to just make music again and put out an album??
Would that change your mind on the importance of the guy's appearance?

I just don't get this at all no
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2015, 09:10:38 AM »

A couple of things.  First I hope it is all true.  Also the report says NA not U.S. so I would expect 3-5 of the shows to be in Canada and maybe a show in Mexico.

Based on a local radio station asking what people would be willing to pay it sounds like many still don't trust Axl to show up.  

2006 was amazing but the very late start time did not please all fans.

2010 the start times were much better but still to late for the casual fan.  

Doing a large stadium tour may not work right out of the gate.  They may only do a smaller run in 2016 to show the world they are back and can be trusted cause from what I saw on facebook the trust is not there with the casual fans.   I saw GnR 3 times between 2006-2010 so I trust them but I am not convinced that is true to the wider audience.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2015, 09:12:09 AM »

If Axl grew a beard/stubble he'd look exactly like an older version of himself

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »

lol. it was a typo. nobody sings like axl. that much is true! he has a bigger range than freddie mercury or mariah carey. i never denied he is better on some days than others. the dude is human.

its harder to articulate your opinion than be a dick, and sometimes you end up sounding like a hippie. but im going to be honest here despite that i may come off like a kindergarten teacher. people come in different shapes and sizes. voices and bodies age in different ways. some people sing better after eating a feast. some people cant eat anything before a performance. some vocal techniques are more reliable than others, some are harder on the vocal chords than others. sometimes you just dont feel good so you dont sound as good. the voice is a complicated thing. its not always easy to figure out through observation unless your a voice clinician.

take a look
inside a book
reading raaaainnbowwww!

sandman
Legend

« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »

college football stadiums are likely. most stadium tours usually hit a few. they also typically hit a bunch of baseball stadiums (and speedways) as well. the article did state "football" stadiums so maybe they will actually avoid the baseball stadiums. but there are some college stadiums that are popular for concerts. a few that make a lot of sense due to their locations are LSU, Ohio Stadium, Rose Bowl, and even the Citrus Bowl.

I'm hoping for a philly date, but I'm guessing it's 50-50. if there truly are 25 shows in the U.S. only, the chances certainly go up. that's a lot of shows for a stadium tour. but with shows likely in NY and balt/DC (and because of past GnR history in Philly), it could be a city they skip. we'll see.    

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »

I'm hoping for a philly date, but I'm guessing it's 50-50. if there truly are 25 shows in the U.S. only, the chances certainly go up. that's a lot of shows for a stadium tour. but with shows likely in NY and balt/DC (and because of past GnR history in Philly), it could be a city they skip. we'll see.    

I wonder too.

And despite being both a huge market and a pretty reliable rock town, we get skipped by the bigger acts more than I think logical.

U2, Maiden, Pearl Jam...all missed us their last time through.  And I doubt they would have trouble moving tickets.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: