Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Are we perhaps setting ourselves up for massive disappointment?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are we perhaps setting ourselves up for massive disappointment?  (Read 19818 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« on: December 28, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »

By "we", I don't just mean this forum, but the entire GN'R online community that is squeeing and in an uproar over the idea that a reunion is imminent.

Let's be honest...Axl and Slash didn't mend their fences until sometime late last year or even into this year. You really think that's enough time to:

1) Clear away 20+ years of crap
2) Hug and be best friends again
3) Decide to want to reunite
4) Set the wheels in motion

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but as much as I desperately want an Axl/Slash reunion, I don't see it happening or any announcement coming anytime "soon." I suspect January 6th will roll past with some other band announced as the headliner of Coachella, possibly some new version of newGNR.

With regard to the TV ad featuring the Argentina '93 show footage, well, it wouldn't be the first time a newGNR show was promoted with old GN'R imagery.

I am not saying this is the deal, I have no inside info. All I am saying is, how do we know this isn't just some giant troll to build hype for a new tour with totally new members and the release of the Chinese Democracy II album?

I mean given history, can you really not foresee January 6th coming and "GUNS N' ROSES" with two brand new, unknowns as the new lead guitarists and someone new announced as bassist, with no hint of anything involving a reunion?

All I am saying is we should keep our expectations incredibly low. Because I think everyone who is so certain that all these clues mean a reunion and everyone is all excited is going to be let down big time.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:04:51 PM »

Ya know, this was my concern really up until this past weekend.

But dude, they put a friggin' teaser trailer in front of Star Wars while simultaneously changing the official website to ONLY feature the original 87-93 band logo.

I think it's safe to say the writing's on the wall.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »

No.

Bottom line is, something seems to be going on with GN'R. That's awesome!

But then again, 99.999% of the GNR online fan community thinks I'm about as cool as AIDS.... So what do I know....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »

No.

/jarmo

So you don't think the fans who are squeeing over what seems to them to be a set in stone reunion of at least Axl, Slash and Duff won't be massively disappointed come January 6th when there's no mention of a reunion and the band just rolls out two totally new players? This is who my thread was aimed at, but you knew that.
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »

To think that a reunion isn't going to be announced very soon at this point is just asinine. You must be a huge pessimist to think that at this point.   

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »

No.

But then again, 99.999% of the GNR online fan community thinks I'm about as cool as AIDS.... So what do I know....

/jarmo

You once said Slash discussion in the main section was not allowed because it was not for "people who tried to destroy Guns N' Roses".  AIDs may have been a strong word.  The flu maybe?  hihi

But seriously, I'm just breakin' balls Jarmo.  This is a happy time for all fans.  Don't ruin it by picking fights!

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »

To think that a reunion isn't going to be announced very soon at this point is just asinine. You must be a huge pessimist to think that at this point.   

Given the history of this band, I tend to expect the worst and hope for the best.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 01:13:21 PM »

No.

/jarmo

Now I want Kool Aid.  Grin

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »

Axl and Slash didn't mend their fences until sometime late last year or even into this year.

how can we be sure they've mend their fences? it's a honest/simple question. Why are we not doubting/questioning this?

I think we should be more careful with the premises we are using.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 01:33:01 PM »

Don't ruin it by picking fights!

Picking fights? No. Just reminding you of what you've said.  ok
You're a funny guy.

Yeah, and I'm truly sorry that I didn't allow you to discuss Slash solo stuff in the GN'R section when GN'R were out touring or being active. I realize this must've hurt your feelings or something.

So you don't think the fans who are squeeing over what seems to them to be a set in stone reunion of at least Axl, Slash and Duff won't be massively disappointed come January 6th when there's no mention of a reunion and the band just rolls out two totally new players? This is who my thread was aimed at, but you knew that.

That's on them.

You know, whatever happens, somebody will be pissed off for some reason.  hihi
That won't change.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:41:09 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 01:34:35 PM »

Axl and Slash didn't mend their fences until sometime late last year or even into this year.

how can we be sure they've mend their fences? it's a honest/simple question. Why are we not doubting/questioning this?

Because the writing is on the wall. The reunion is happening.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »

Really? Who's gonna be the drummer and the rhythm guitarist at this reunion?

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »

Frank and Richard..."supposedly"... Grin

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »

If we stick to what we know, it's not you or me.... So we're ruled out. Now we're getting somewhere...  hihi

/jarmo

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »

Looking at the facts and not let any speculation or rumors play a role:

- Slash said the feud between him and Axl is over
- Dj and Bumblefoot are out
- Going by comments made, it seems at least Richard and Frank are still in
- Classic GNR art is used in new merchandise
- The GNR Facebook page removed the line-up info
- The website was altered to show the bullet logo
- Twitter and Facebook changed profile pictures to show a crowd
- A crowd is featured in a GNR teaser in the movie theaters in the US

There's no hard evidence that points to a reunion really. The bullet logo argument that has been made is that Slash owns the rights to that. I'm not so sure about that. Firstly, remember the belt buckle. Secondly, the black and whit bullet logo used as a background on the merch site says Copyright 2009 Black Frog Entities Inc. Does Slash really own this artwork? I know he designed it, but I don't know if he has any say in when/where it's used.

The reason the bullet logo wasn't used much since 2001 might just be that Axl wanted to make a distinction of line-ups. When he returned in 2001 with a bunch of new people, he wanted to start somewhat fresh and that included a brand new logo - going with the Chinese-theme. When the Chinese-era now might be over, he wanted to revert to the "standard" logo, prepping for the next chapter (still might not include anyone from the past).

We have filled in the blanks up until now, assuming a reunion of sorts. I have certainly done so. Things are pointing in that direction accounting rumors/rumblings and speculation, and at this point I would say it seems likely.

But we shouldn't forget that there's really no hard evidence that supports this, and we might have set us up for a disappointment.

Now, for me personally, if it turns out this whole thing marks the start of the next GNR chapter with a new album and brand new line-up, I won't be disappointed really. We won't get what we expected, but still I think that would be equally exciting.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »

I can already see the disappointed faces when GNR hits the the stage with a brand new line-up and not with Slash N' Duff.  Be careful with assumptions. Just saying.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Gunsguy
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 01:58:44 PM »

The fanclub just closed to all new members.  You can no longer join in.  Makes me think presales for something are coming and this prevents scalpers from joining in
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »

ah, now i see the ''reunion''. Thanks!

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »

Perhaps - Yes

However, despite dysfunction historically, there is something else to consider that points the arrow in the right direction

I won't speak for anyone else, but I've got people both friends and family that have suddenly started asking me about this thing happening.
If my cousin Trixie in Pennsylvania is aware, then the notion that the Big 3 are both oblivious to these rumours and have not squashed them hard by now is a little tough to accept

Like it or not - Gn'r as it's existed in the past couple of decades is something quite different than a Gn'r with Slash and Duff back in the mix
They were the modern day version of the Stones or Zeppelin at one glorious point in time - and this reaction to just rumours and speculation only affirms that position

Even if we're let down in the end, who gives flying fuck - Things are alive and hope is good thing brother
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »

Really? Who's gonna be the drummer and the rhythm guitarist at this reunion?

I would say Frank and Fortus will be the permanent players on tour and moving forward but Adler & Izzy will be playing shows as well.

Its a big GnR family Smiley

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: