Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 02:21:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228143 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Is Friday the day?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Friday the day?  (Read 105396 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #320 on: December 08, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »

Well, that's shitting on everything Axl and the band has done. It's disrespectful.

Don't you agree?

First and foremost, no, not really.

But even more to the point, those articles are coming.  I think its pretty pie in the sky to expect a story about a reunion should that pan out to also contain a bunch of laudatory stuff about how Axl kept the home fires burning with other guys all this time.  And how they really did some dynamite work.

I think there will be a real "well, at least that's over" type of vibe.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #321 on: December 08, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »

If this reunion stuff pans out, and there are a bunch of articles written about how Axl "finally did the right thing" and stopped fucking around with scab line-ups.

How does that play?  Are people going to stomp their feet and get real defensive about the past 20 years?

Or, would they be happy enough things are moving again, they could bite their tongue and not feel the need to label every author that pens something along those lines a total hack who is misinformed?

My sentiment would be that the author likely isn't doing due diligence. Or their opinions on CD don't really align with mine, so...it's not all that surprising that, in this case, it doesn't align either.

Lets face it: IF there is a reunion, there are going to be a LOT of opinions floating around from people who last really paid attention to GnR in 1995.  There's going to be a LOT of noise.  And, as with all things in the media, some are going to be better informed, some are going to have opinions that do (and do not) align with mine, etc.

That's the press, now.  That's filling a 24 hours news cycle in an industry that's now driven by pennies per click.  It's not specific to the music industry, either.

And I'm sure there will be some well reasoned, well informed, folks who feel the same way: That this is the "right" thing.

I'm not sure how we each, individually, react to those articles...likely on a case by case basis...or the way jarmo specifically reacts....matters much.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #322 on: December 08, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »

You singled out jarmo and said you were curious how he would "have to grit [his] teeth through some possibly pretty unflattering takes on the matter."

I happened to speaking to him when I said it, but that doesn't mean I think he would be alone on that front.

Oh, I'm aware you're addressing it at all the, what you consider, "superfans".

But the point remains.

It's about scoring board warrior points, rather than the story itself.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #323 on: December 08, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »

But even more to the point, those articles are coming.  I think its pretty pie in the sky to expect a story about a reunion should that pan out to also contain a bunch of laudatory stuff about how Axl kept the home fires burning with other guys all this time.  And how they really did some dynamite work.

Sure, but...so?

Is the media always right? Do they always, 100% of the time, reflect your opinion on every matter?

And...did YOU hate EVERYTHING the 2002-2014 incarnation of the band did?

And, if not, and an article slags on this (these?) interations of GnR..are you suddenly going to hate everything they did?

I think you can like the "CD era" incarnations, respect what they did, and still enjoy a reunion, if it were to happen.  And not compromise the reasons you felt that way, at the time.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #324 on: December 08, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »

Oh, I'm aware you're addressing it at all the, what you consider, "superfans".

But the point remains.

It's about scoring board warrior points, rather than the story itself.

You're pretty over the top here this morning.  My lord.

Think of it more like this.  I'm a huge politics nerd.  Follow it all very closely.

But I am not an ideologue.  Because a big part of following it is seeing how things unfold, who reacts to what and how, and just generally how the game is played.  Know how people loathe Washington dysfunction?  Well, not me.  I see things are fucked up much of the time, but I still like it for the intrigue.

This would be the same thing, as I see it.  I want to see it all play out and see who does what.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #325 on: December 08, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »

And...did YOU hate EVERYTHING the 2002-2014 incarnation of the band did?

No, obviously not.

But I also don't get my back up about the fact much of the free world does not share that opinion.  I understand and accept that.

So, such talk would not faze me in the least.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #326 on: December 08, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »

No, obviously not.

But I also don't get my back up about the fact much of the free world does not share that opinion.  I understand and accept that.

So, such talk would not faze me in the least.

OK, so then why does it matter when someone you disagree with does? Or might take issue with the content of those articles?

They're expressing a similar sentiment...they liked some (all) of what was done during the "CD Era".

They just take more of an issue with an article potentially carrying what they see as an incorrect portrayal of events.  Taking a shot just to take a shot.

You don't.

We've seen that, here, already.  I'm not sure what the "reunion" factor adds to that, or why it makes it interesting. Or why it would make the reactions any different.

Other than making, potentially, the "volume" of those disliking the "CD era" of the band, louder.

Meaning those you disagree with get shouted down.

And there's the crux:  I suspect THATS the part you find "interesting".  Because thats very much what your initial post suggested: A great, big "I told you so".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:00:47 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #327 on: December 08, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »

You're pretty over the top here this morning.  My lord.

Think of it more like this.  I'm a huge politics nerd.  Follow it all very closely.

But I am not an ideologue.  Because a big part of following it is seeing how things unfold, who reacts to what and how, and just generally how the game is played.  Know how people loathe Washington dysfunction?  Well, not me.  I see things are fucked up much of the time, but I still like it for the intrigue.

This would be the same thing, as I see it.  I want to see it all play out and see who does what.

I'm giving back what was given, initially.  It was a pretty over the top sentiment.

And, once again, I'm trying to point out some of the hypocrisy....and being a little indirect....and ridiculousness of this type of bent in the conversations.

If you feel that way, that's fine.  I mean..IMHO it's a little petty, and passive aggressive, and...well, you get the picture.  But the point is: it doesn't really advance any meaningful conversation. It just pokes all the bears and creates hostility.  It stirs the pot.  It's probably one of those things best left in your internal monologue....

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #328 on: December 08, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »

Well, that's shitting on everything Axl and the band has done. It's disrespectful.

Don't you agree?

As I suspected. This is pretty much your opinion and you just want to say it out loud with nobody minding what you say.

You just chose to involved the media as an excuse.

Or so it seems!

And yes, I think it's disrespectful to the people involved. Just because GN'R didn't end when you (generally speaking here) wanted it to and you don't agree with the band's history, doesn't mean you have to be disrespectful about it.

You're already getting some kind of satisfaction from hypothetical articles and how I won't like them. Weird.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #329 on: December 08, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »

If you feel that way, that's fine.  I mean..IMHO it's a little petty, and passive aggressive, and...well, you get the picture.  But the point is: it doesn't really advance any meaningful conversation. It just pokes all the bears and creates hostility.  It stirs the pot.  It's probably one of those things best left in your internal monologue....

But I am not the one poking the bear.  I just want to see how the bear reacts to being poked.

You may find this incredibly hard to believe, but I will not be penning any of these articles I've been talking about.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #330 on: December 08, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »

And yes, I think it's disrespectful to the people involved. Just because GN'R didn't end when you (generally speaking here) wanted it to and you don't agree with the band's history, doesn't mean you have to be disrespectful about it.

Me?  I'm fine with it.

Never gave Axl one second of grief for keeping the name.  Actually lauded him for it and mocked the others for being fools. 

Never gave Axl one second of grief over the line-up changes.  If you had a falling out with a guy, you have a falling out.  That's life.

But this whole "disrespectful" routine?  Now we are just back into that area I have never taken all that seriously.  Feeling I have to protect this man like he's this delicate flower or my helpless child.  I would not find any of what I'm talking about "disrespectful". 

If people don't respect what he's done, what am I really supposed to do about it?  Tell them they aren't being fair?  Ask them to be nicer?  Is this gradeschool?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2015, 10:13:12 AM »

But this whole "disrespectful" routine?  Now we are just back into that area I have never taken all that seriously.  Feeling I have to protect this man like he's this delicate flower or my helpless child.  I would not find any of what I'm talking about "disrespectful". 

If people don't respect what he's done, what am I really supposed to do about it?  Tell them they aren't being fair?  Ask them to be nicer?  Is this gradeschool?

I think this whole notion only exists in your mind.

Is it possible to have an opinion on an opinion without having any kind of agenda? Is it possible I think that kind of talk is disrespectful and that's just my opinion without trying to do anything at all? Is that possible?
Obviously you seem to think it's not! Which I find funny.

Yes, you act like this is some kind of school playground.  And yes, it's possible to say you think somebody's not being fair and/or they're being disrespectful.

It's called having an opinion.
But obviously if you share said opinion....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »

But I am not the one poking the bear.  I just want to see how the bear reacts to being poked.

And, by stating such..you are also poking the bear(s).

You may find this incredibly hard to believe, but I will not be penning any of these articles I've been talking about.

Right, I know. That's rather the point in all this.

You taking "satisfaction" from watching someone(s) else squirm based on something someone else may (or may not) write in a media article who's sentiment you might not even 100% agree with, and that isn't even about the someone(s) you're watching squirm, is...um....well, I think I covered what I think it is, already.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #333 on: December 08, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »

Yes, you act like this is some kind of school playground.  And yes, it's possible to say you think somebody's not being fair and/or they're being disrespectful.

Hey, it's your dime.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #334 on: December 08, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »

You taking "satisfaction" from watching someone(s) else squirm based on something someone else may (or may not) write in a media article who's sentiment you might not even 100% agree with, and that isn't even about the someone(s) you're watching squirm, is...um....well, I think I covered what I think it is, already.

No, you've been a real hard read this morning.  I'm not sure where you stand on this.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #335 on: December 08, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »

Hey, it's your dime.

Hey Mr One liner, please focus and answer the question.

Your usual shit. You pick out the one line that's a joke and disregard anything else.

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #336 on: December 08, 2015, 10:30:10 AM »

Great points.

I don't think he can talk his way out of this.

Let's make a joke and pretend this didn't happen!

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #337 on: December 08, 2015, 10:31:08 AM »

Hey Mr One liner, please focus and answer the question.

Your usual shit. You pick out the one line that's a joke and disregard anything else.

I disagree with your overall premise.  I don't find those comments "disrespectful".

Even if I did, sake of argument, I don't see where its my problem to worry about why they think that.

If you see value in the exercise, great.  I don't.  Like I said, its your dime.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #338 on: December 08, 2015, 10:39:25 AM »

I disagree with your overall premise.  I don't find those comments "disrespectful".

Which is fine.  And the age old, same old, round and round dance. Right?

Even if I did, sake of argument, I don't see where its my problem to worry about why they think that.

If you see value in the exercise, great.  I don't.  Like I said, its your dime.

But, see, that's been my point from the get go.

If the above blase attitude was, in fact, whats up...then you wouldn't really care, or find "interesting", how jarmo (and the "superfans") would react to the sentiment post potential reunion.

Right?

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #339 on: December 08, 2015, 10:39:49 AM »

No, I asked you: Is it possible to have an opinion that those kinds of opinions are disrespectful without having an agenda (like you claim I do)? Yes or no.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: