Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:24:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is a reunion (hybrid or otherwise) our best chance of new music?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is a reunion (hybrid or otherwise) our best chance of new music?  (Read 15281 times)
Gavgnr
VIP

« on: November 30, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »

I'm really excited to hear about the possibility of Axl, Slash and Duff playing some shows together. There has been a shitstorm of media coverage in recent weeks, fuelling fan speculation worldwide not only in terms of what this means for Guns future and who is in the band but also what this might mean for the tracks we know are finished from the Chinese era sessions.

Opinion seems to be be pretty polarised. Some feel that a reunion could essentially mean that this material could be locked in 'the vault' forever given that Slash and Duff, as far as we know, do not perform on these tracks. I got to thinking that, actually, the reunion, if true, is a huge bargaining tool meaning that Axl could, in theory, get the next album released exactly how he wanted (unlike Chinese, as per his own admission), maybe even getting a re-release of Chinese with the correct artwork.

Long story short, the label may have wanted a reunion all along. Maybe all Axl wants/wanted is the release of his work for the last 20 years in a manner of his choosing. Maybe now this is the best time to get just that.

The other alternative is that I'm talking total shite which, according to my wife, is very common  hihi

Either way, I'm very excited about whatever the next few months hold \m/

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:41:05 PM »

I Not Excited

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:46:59 PM »

Probably pretty low considering Guns N' Roses hasn't released Cd2 or whatever it may be called

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »

Axl is not eager to release or perform new music. Yes, you can call that speculation, I guess, but if I only went fishing once in 24 years would you surmise that I was a keen angler?

If a hybrid/reunion tour were to happen - and that's a big if - I would imagine one of the most attractive aspects of that to Axl would be that he could once again rely on established material, but for larger crowds and more money.

And it isn't just Axl that would likely be less than eager to put out new material with Slash and Duff. They'd all stand to take damage if a new album was anything less than AFD standards. Why bother? What would be in it for them? Albums don't make money anymore, Axl is a notorious perfectionist/tinkerer who many would think twice about entering a studio with, and most salienty, anyone who buys a ticket for a reunion tour just wants to hear the old stuff anyway.

I'd say a reunion/hybrid kills any hope for new material altogether.
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »

Axl is not eager to release or perform new music. Yes, you can call that speculation, I guess, but if I only went fishing once in 24 years would you surmise that I was a keen angler?

If a hybrid/reunion tour were to happen - and that's a big if - I would imagine one of the most attractive aspects of that to Axl would be that he could once again rely on established material, but for larger crowds and more money.

And it isn't just Axl that would likely be less than eager to put out new material with Slash and Duff. They'd all stand to take damage if a new album was anything less than AFD standards. Why bother? What would be in it for them? Albums don't make money anymore, Axl is a notorious perfectionist/tinkerer who many would think twice about entering a studio with, and most salienty, anyone who buys a ticket for a reunion tour just wants to hear the old stuff anyway.

How do you know Axl isn't eager to release new music? He was eager In 2001 and it didn't come out until 2008

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:31:37 PM »

How do you know Axl isn't eager to release new music? He was eager In 2001 and it didn't come out until 2008

Huh

Huh

rofl

Put it this way, if Axl is eager to release new music on a consistent basis and it really is everyone else's fault that he's managed to get only one album out in almost a quarter of a century, he must be the most unlucky, bafflingly persecuted artist in the history of music. And to think I always thought people like Billie Holiday had it bad.  hihi

Also strange that TB's reaction to the Going Down leak was 'great, now we don't have to release a new album', given that they act on Axl's behalf and he's apparently so eager to release one. Wink
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:25:47 PM by raindog » Logged
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 05:11:51 AM »

Huh

Huh

rofl

Put it this way, if Axl is eager to release new music on a consistent basis and it really is everyone else's fault that he's managed to get only one album out in almost a quarter of a century, he must be the most unlucky, bafflingly persecuted artist in the history of music. And to think I always thought people like Billie Holiday had it bad.  hihi

Also strange that TB's reaction to the Going Down leak was 'great, now we don't have to release a new album', given that they act on Axl's behalf and he's apparently so eager to release one. Wink

It was a reaction to an illegal leak--

?Having someone jeopardize your efforts so cavalierly is pretty much a nightmare,?

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:02:07 AM »

Put it this way, if Axl is eager to release new music on a consistent basis and it really is everyone else's fault that he's managed to get only one album out in almost a quarter of a century, he must be the most unlucky, bafflingly persecuted artist in the history of music.

Nobody's expecting you to do any homework here. That would be asking for too much. Besides, even if you read what's been said about the subject, it wouldn't register at all.

How odd. Your posts seem so familiar.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »

Put it this way, if Axl is eager to release new music on a consistent basis and it really is everyone else's fault that he's managed to get only one album out in almost a quarter of a century, he must be the most unlucky, bafflingly persecuted artist in the history of music.

Nobody's expecting you to do any homework here. That would be asking for too much. Besides, even if you read what's been said about the subject, it wouldn't register at all.

How odd. Your posts seem so familiar.

/jarmo

I'm not into cryptic crap. That goes for posts like this and stupid condescending tweets like the ones posted on the GNR twitter the other day. No one is too good or too self important to simply say what they mean. This is a rock band, not the Stonecutters.

But anyway, yeah, one album of original material since the Illusions. And note I never said Axl was reluctant to make new music or to record. Merely that a guy who supposedly got a stockpile of 20+ great songs and has not released or performed any of them may not be champing at the bit to have them heard. If that's too big of a logistical leap for you, well... *shrug*

Your posts seem familiar too. Mostly because it's the same 'blame the fans', 'you didn't do your research', 'you're making assumptions' stuff that you're known for every time. The kind that conveniently ignores that the cause of any assumptions, blame and the very fact people are supposed to research, hang on every word ever spoken* and every hint ever made is because the band doesn't keep the fans on the level.

The fans are horrible and Axl and the management can do no wrong and are, always will be and always have been completely blameless. That's about the size of it, isn't it? I mean you can't really reason with a mindset that tells it's fans they should be happy with no news after a year of inactivity, 7 years without an album and two guitarists leaving.

*up until the point it proves untrue, when it instantly becomes the fans fault for 'reading too much into it'
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:57:10 AM by raindog » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:10:59 AM »

I'd say there is a slightly greater chance of Axl's current lineup (whoever they are) to release some new music, but that's not saying much.

Agreed.

It comes down to how much stock you really want to put into the premise that a 5% chance is greater than a 1% chance.

Mathematically accurate, obviously.  Grand scheme, not great odds either way.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »

I'm not into cryptic crap. That goes for posts like this and stupid condescending tweets like the ones posted on the GNR twitter the other day. No one is too good or too self important to simply say what they mean. This is a rock band, not the Stonecutters.

Hahahaha

Your posts seem familiar too. Mostly because it's the same 'blame the fans', 'you didn't do your research', 'you're making assumptions' stuff that you're known for every time. The kind that conveniently ignores that the cause of any assumptions, blame and the very fact people are supposed to research, hang on every word ever spoken* and every hint ever made is because the band doesn't keep the fans on the level.

*up until the point it proves untrue, when it instantly becomes the fans fault for 'reading too much into it'

Its truly an interesting approach to P.R. and basic communication skills. 

Think others will be adopting it anytime soon?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 09:23:20 AM »

The fans are horrible and Axl and the management can do no wrong and are, always will be and always have been completely blameless. That's about the size of it, isn't it? I mean you can't really reason with a mindset that tells it's fans they should be happy with no news after a year of inactivity, 7 years without an album and two guitarists leaving.

This is another of those "poor us supportive fans" posts. The band and management are evil, they hate you. Poor you.
Right.

Yes, you assume shit. It's natural. But why is it that the assumptions are so one sided?

Yet again, another observation I've made over the years.

Fans should be happy about a year of inactivity? Are you serious? Did I miss the memo where it states the band isn't allowed to stop touring after doing so almost nonstop for about four-five years?
I feel bad for you. You showed up here now. You should've come around in like 2009 or 2010 even. But no, you show up the one year the band's on a break. That must really suck!

As a side note: Another poster shows up here starts whining and then defends his right to do so because the band isn't doing what he wants. Deja fucking vu.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:17 AM »

D-Gen, look at it this way, everything already recorded and unreleased is Axl's and Universal's property. Gnr material is Gnr material. Thus, if Axl and Uni want to "modify" existing material with Slash and Duff, whoever, they can do it. You assume S and D would want it all to be their own but we don't know what they have heard or what they think about it. They may think it is great and want to make it better. In the end, they are Axl's melodies and Axl's lyrics so they have a solid foundation at this point. If I am them, I would be happy to have a listen and realize the groundwork has been laid.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »

Fans should be happy about a year of inactivity? Are you serious? Did I miss the memo where it states the band isn't allowed to stop touring after doing so almost nonstop for about four-five years?

Maybe that memo is in the same file where 15 original songs in 16 years is considered a strong work ethic.

Presumably right next to the memo that broke down how "looking very seriously in regard to releasing new music" results in 3 people leaving the band and not one shred of proof anyone has looked seriously at anything in a year and a half since that statement.

Seems you've missed a lot of memos.  I'd have a talk with that secretary of yours.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »

Yeah, I must've misplaced my copy of DX's "Book of GN'R grievances. One for every day of the year"

But please tell me it's right to be upset about this year on inactivity. Please tell me he's right! That'd be amazing!

/jarmo

raindog
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »

I feel bad for you. You showed up here now. You should've come around in like 2009 or 2010 even. But no, you show up the one year the band's on a break. That must really suck!

As a side note: Another poster shows up here starts whining and then defends his right to do so because the band isn't doing what he wants. Deja fucking vu.

/jarmo

No, you didn't miss a memo. You just misread my post and then based the rest of your rant on what you falsely assumed I'd written.

I didn't say or imply that the band didn't deserve time off or that the fans should be unhappy about a year of inactivity. I alluded to the idea that fans shouldn't be expected to be happy about being told no news is good news after a year of inactivity. There's a pretty big difference.

Honestly, I know the management doesn't hate the fans. And where did I say the band isn't doing what I want? Or even what I want the band to do? Closest I've come to saying anything along those lines is that if C.D. is the last album we get from Axl I'm happy with it and I don't really expect to get another

Jeez Jarmo, complaints, complaints, complaints.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »

I see.

Could it be that the tweet was just a lighthearted joke in a time when all kinds of rumors were flying around?

/jarmo

raindog
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »

I see.

Could it be that the tweet was just a lighthearted joke in a time when all kinds of rumors were flying around?

/jarmo

Could well be, but in the wider context of the whole thread the 'everyone's a journalist' or whatever it was didn't come off well to me or the few people I know who've seen it. If rumor is all people have to go on, that's what they'll go on. Came off like 'these rumors exist', 'we are aware', 'we are not/can not clarify either way', 'you should be glad of this', 'stop pretending to be a journalist'. Seemed a little hostile to people who in reality are just getting excited about just maybe seeing their favorite musicians.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »

D-Gen, look at it this way, everything already recorded and unreleased is Axl's and Universal's property. Gnr material is Gnr material. Thus, if Axl and Uni want to "modify" existing material with Slash and Duff, whoever, they can do it. You assume S and D would want it all to be their own but we don't know what they have heard or what they think about it. They may think it is great and want to make it better. In the end, they are Axl's melodies and Axl's lyrics so they have a solid foundation at this point. If I am them, I would be happy to have a listen and realize the groundwork has been laid.

I think it would come down to how much they were involved in it, honestly.

I would think it would have to be a hell of a lot more than the few copy and paste riffs over top of finished songs from other people, like we saw with Ron.

Basically, they would need to have something of stamp on whatever came out.  Is Slash really going to be excited about shoehorning a few riffs over top of the myriad people Axl attempted to replace him with?  He's going to be little more than a complementary piece to Robin Finck?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 10:18:27 AM »

Could well be, but in the wider context of the whole thread the 'everyone's a journalist' or whatever it was didn't come off well to me or the few people I know who've seen it. If rumor is all people have to go on, that's what they'll go on. Came off like 'these rumors exist', 'we are aware', 'we are not/can not clarify either way', 'you should be glad of this', 'stop pretending to be a journalist'. Seemed a little hostile to people who in reality are just getting excited about just maybe seeing their favorite musicians.

I guess it comes down to how you want to see it.
I happen to not assume the band or their management is going after the fans....

You know, when somebody says something to one fan/person, it doesn't mean it applies to all of us.

/jarmo

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: