Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:28:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Next album - avoid streaming?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next album - avoid streaming?  (Read 6037 times)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »

Spotify - Itunes - Streaming

I Believe Good Idea

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »

Hmm.
It will be interesting to see who the dominant players are when GN'R's next album comes out.
Will Spotify still be a leader?
Who will be on top 5, 10 or 15 years from now?
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »

Compact Disc & Cassette Is Dead

Cry

Only Alive Vinyl

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »

Savvy people always find a way to get a listen in before parting with cash.

For any release from Guns, if it wants to move serious numbers, there needs to be a radio hit in my opinion.

if its more of the same as CD... it wont matter which way its released, the numbers will be the same.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 10:40:19 PM »

For any release from Guns, if it wants to move serious numbers, there needs to be a radio hit in my opinion.

if its more of the same as CD... it wont matter which way its released, the numbers will be the same.

I disagree.

I think you could have gotten 'Better' and 'Street Of Dreams' in radio rotation.  I'm not suggesting either could have been big hits, but the band name is still big enough you could have gotten that established as songs people knew.

But it wasn't going to happen by magic.  If anything, it was going to take even more of a yeoman effort to get this new material over, not less.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 12:03:10 AM »

Digital Download + Full Marketing

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »

I don't think it's necessarily a case about big or not. It's more about where and how. I think.

U2 is one of the biggest bands on the planet. Look what they did.
I'm sure they figured that most of their fans use Apple products and therefore would get their music for free plus everybody else would get it as well...

/jarmo

U2 didn't take money when they promoted the iPod because they had a custom player with their back catalog on it. This time around they rolled out the album on different formats including Spotify but gave Apple first dibs. They did take the check from Apple this time.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »

I think Guns would have to create a buzz if they wanted to go in the no streaming direction. Adele is arguably the most popular artist in the world right now so her followers would go out and spend money to hear new material. Not sure the demand is there right now on a wider scale for a Guns N Roses album. They would have to go out and make some noise. Reintroduce themselves to the world per se.
axlvai
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »

Im a old school gunner. I dont like Spotify... Apple stuff, or buying mp3 for 1 buck. I love the CD and the vinyl.

Love torrent too. Download Flac files and listen that in the hometeather. I hope we can get a 9.1... or a least 5.1 audio for the most hungry ears around here.

Bluray audio is a good alternative option.

axlvai
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »

Im a old school gunner. I dont like Spotify... Apple stuff, or buying mp3 for 1 buck. I love the CD and the vinyl.

Love torrent too. Download Flac files and listen that in the hometeather. I hope we can get a 9.1... or a least 5.1 audio for the most hungry ears around here.

I've never used ITunes, Spotify etc. I still buy physical copies of my music, weird huh?

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »

I've never used ITunes, Spotify etc. I still buy physical copies of my music, weird huh?

I do both. Spotify is a genius option to discover new music while still supporting the artist (a little bit at least).

But still... CD, SACD and vinyl gives a far superior sound quality.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2015, 04:59:51 PM »

New Tools For Sales Music Today Is:

M4a
MP3
ITUNES
BLURAY
SPOTIFY
STREAMING

GNR This With All That Now

smoking

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

TheNightrain
Opening Act

One for you, n' Two for me..

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 07:53:24 AM »

So, looking at the numbers Adele is producing after her latest release... 2.3 million records sold in three days in the US!

The album is not available for streaming mind you. Does this prove there's still a market for selling records the old fashioned way, or is it only the really, really big artists who can possible survive?

Would it be a smart move of Axl to force people to buy the record by not putting it up for streaming? Or do you think it's too risky, not being quite sure how high the popularity of GNR is, it might backfire and end up with no streaming income plus low selling numbers for a physical release. Putting it up for streaming later on, after losing the momentum of an album being new, could result in less total income than if the album had been available from the get-go.

Thinking of it, was Chinese Democracy the first album to suffer from streaming? Spotify had just been introduced the month before CD came out, but the consumer mass was very small ? virtually nonexistent. But, Chinese Democracy was made available for free on myspace days before the release, did it hurt the sales significantly? Maybe.

Do you think Adele would have seen the same sales numbers if the album was available at the streaming services?

People forget though that in the US, CD was a Best Buy exclusive. Meaning if you where from some butt-hole town that didn't have a BB then you basically couldn't get the album.
If CD had of been released the normal way, via standard music retailers as well as iTunes ect it would have hit really big numbers!

Chinese sold like 250,000 copies in its first week, people say that was disappointing. Foo Fighters newest sold less in its first week and its called a raving success.

TheNightrain

www.gnrnow.com
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 09:56:54 AM »

People forget though that in the US, CD was a Best Buy exclusive. Meaning if you where from some butt-hole town that didn't have a BB then you basically couldn't get the album.
If CD had of been released the normal way, via standard music retailers as well as iTunes ect it would have hit really big numbers!

I believe it was available on iTunes from day one.
But you're right, the only physical copies were sold at Best Buy. And even then, depending on the store, they weren't really using the exclusive to their advantage.

I went to one store and they had a big display for the latest Will Smith DVD as you walked in. The GN'R display you had to go look for....
While another store had GN'R displayed by the entrance as you'd expect.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 10:00:41 AM »

So, looking at the numbers Adele is producing after her latest release... 2.3 million records sold in three days in the US!

The album is not available for streaming mind you. Does this prove there's still a market for selling records the old fashioned way, or is it only the really, really big artists who can possible survive?

Would it be a smart move of Axl to force people to buy the record by not putting it up for streaming? Or do you think it's too risky, not being quite sure how high the popularity of GNR is, it might backfire and end up with no streaming income plus low selling numbers for a physical release. Putting it up for streaming later on, after losing the momentum of an album being new, could result in less total income than if the album had been available from the get-go.

Thinking of it, was Chinese Democracy the first album to suffer from streaming? Spotify had just been introduced the month before CD came out, but the consumer mass was very small ? virtually nonexistent. But, Chinese Democracy was made available for free on myspace days before the release, did it hurt the sales significantly? Maybe.

Do you think Adele would have seen the same sales numbers if the album was available at the streaming services?

Chinese sold like 250,000 copies in its first week, people say that was disappointing. Foo Fighters newest sold less in its first week and its called a raving success.

I didn't forget about the best buy exclusive. I'm just saying that streaming the album for free was very likely a big factor on the sales as well. Maybe bigger even, you still could order the album on best buy's website...

And today, streaming is a huge factor on sales. I think the Adele release sort of proves that. I'm just spitballing here, but I think it's realistic to say you could cut Adele's sales in half if the album had been available on Spotify from day 1. Sales would still have been massive, but that's due the nature of her giant fanbase.

Since streaming has pretty much taken over for torrents, today people seem to choose to buy the album instead of torrent it if streaming it is not an option. Very few people uses torrents for movies and music any more.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheNightrain
Opening Act

One for you, n' Two for me..

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »

I believe it was available on iTunes from day one.
But you're right, the only physical copies were sold at Best Buy. And even then, depending on the store, they weren't really using the exclusive to their advantage.

I went to one store and they had a big display for the latest Will Smith DVD as you walked in. The GN'R display you had to go look for....
While another store had GN'R displayed by the entrance as you'd expect.

/jarmo

Yes, it was available on iTunes as well, US fans had more trouble finding a stockist than European, Asian and South American countries.
I bought my copy the day it came out in Xtra-vision, Donegal Ireland and there was a full wall dedicated to CD. It debut at No. 3 on the charts here i believe.

TheNightrain

www.gnrnow.com
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »

I'm just saying that streaming the album for free was very likely a big factor on the sales as well. Maybe bigger even, you still could order the album on best buy's website...

True.
Nobody seems to remember the number of streams on MySpace that the album got. The focus is on the sales numbers alone.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »

I'm almost positive that you could have ordered CD online at bestbuy.com and had it shipped to you anywhere in the USA for day-of-release delivery.

I know I've said it a gazzillion billion times before but I loved, loved, loved the Best Buy deal.  When CD was originally listed online at bestbuy.com, it was listed something like "Vinyl A, Disc Aa, Vinyl B, Disc Bb, Vinyl C, Disc Cc".
When versions B, Bb & C, Cc were taken down, BestBuy customer service sent me email notifications along with best buy coupons valued at the full price for each copy of every version I ordered.  If I remember correctly, I had ordered six copies of each of the six versions listed online.  Mind you, my credit card was not charged for the versions/copies I was able to purchase until I picked them up in the store.  Best Deal Ever!!!!  Grin

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »

I'm almost positive that you could have ordered CD online at bestbuy.com and had it shipped to you anywhere in the USA for day-of-release delivery.

I know I've said it a gazzillion billion times before but I loved, loved, loved the Best Buy deal.  When CD was originally listed online at bestbuy.com, it was listed something like "Vinyl A, Disc Aa, Vinyl B, Disc Bb, Vinyl C, Disc Cc".
When versions B, Bb & C, Cc were taken down, BestBuy customer service sent me email notifications along with best buy coupons valued at the full price for each copy of every version I ordered.  If I remember correctly, I had ordered six copies of each of the six versions listed online.  Mind you, my credit card was not charged for the versions/copies I was able to purchase until I picked them up in the store.  Best Deal Ever!!!!  Grin

Great!

I remember when those different copies were listed, I almost ordered but went and picked my copies up instead.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: