Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Next album - avoid streaming?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next album - avoid streaming?  (Read 6068 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: November 25, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »

So, looking at the numbers Adele is producing after her latest release... 2.3 million records sold in three days in the US!

The album is not available for streaming mind you. Does this prove there's still a market for selling records the old fashioned way, or is it only the really, really big artists who can possible survive?

Would it be a smart move of Axl to force people to buy the record by not putting it up for streaming? Or do you think it's too risky, not being quite sure how high the popularity of GNR is, it might backfire and end up with no streaming income plus low selling numbers for a physical release. Putting it up for streaming later on, after losing the momentum of an album being new, could result in less total income than if the album had been available from the get-go.

Thinking of it, was Chinese Democracy the first album to suffer from streaming? Spotify had just been introduced the month before CD came out, but the consumer mass was very small ? virtually nonexistent. But, Chinese Democracy was made available for free on myspace days before the release, did it hurt the sales significantly? Maybe.

Do you think Adele would have seen the same sales numbers if the album was available at the streaming services?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »

I think Axl's situation was unique last time around, and the streaming hurt.

He was coming back after 15 years with a totally new band and a totally new sound.

But by streaming, you could take a free listen to see if you dug it.  You didn't have to take a risk and pay for it to find out if all his changes worked for you.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »

There was also the whole hoo-ha with Best Buy and some rather... suboptimal promotional efforts all round.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »

I think it's a matter of figuring out who your audience is and where they get their fix (music). If a majority of your fans are using streaming services, it makes sense to put the music there. Instead of trying to force them to go find a store or order it online...

It's possible Adele's core audience is people who do their shopping at Walmart and picked up her album while buying stuff like toilet paper. I really don't know...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »

It's possible Adele's core audience is people who do their shopping at Walmart and picked up her album while buying stuff like toilet paper. I really don't know...

This is what I meant with the remark that only the really, really big artist can allow themselves to avoid streaming.

Adele's fan base is probably so huge and so diverse that even if she loses a great deal of potential listeners, the remaining people who actually buys the album forms such a big group that she earns a great deal of money doing it this way.

The question is: Is GNR a big enough act to do it this way and make a good profit?

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:14:21 PM »

I don't think it's necessarily a case about big or not. It's more about where and how. I think.

U2 is one of the biggest bands on the planet. Look what they did.
I'm sure they figured that most of their fans use Apple products and therefore would get their music for free plus everybody else would get it as well...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 12:17:05 PM »

Adele (who I like) is one of the 5 biggest musical acts in the world right now no?

Hard to compare.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »

Adele (who I like) is one of the 5 biggest musical acts in the world right now no?

Hard to compare.

I'm not suggesting GNR will hit the same sales numbers, but it's rather the principle. When comparing streaming/no streaming ? would GNR gain from avoiding streaming?

Sweetness is a virtue
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 12:20:39 PM »

Hard to compare.

I'm not suggesting GNR will hit the same sales numbers, but it's rather the principle. When comparing streaming/no streaming ? would GNR gain from avoid streaming?

Fair enough.

I would think avoiding it would be better... but I don't know the business well enough to give an educated guess.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »

This is what I meant with the remark that only the really, really big artist can allow themselves to avoid streaming.

Adele's fan base is probably so huge and so diverse that even if she loses a great deal of potential listeners, the remaining people who actually buys the album forms such a big group that she earns a great deal of money doing it this way.

The question is: Is GNR a big enough act to do it this way and make a good profit?

I don't doubt the potential of GnR's ability to sale stuff,  but it needs to have a joined up marketing plan.

In the UK Jeff Lynne's ELO whole tour sold out in 10 minutes, promoted by New Album, but more importantly, doing niche shows on the  TV networks, BBC have Done Adele, U2, Coldplay to just name 3 acts. The but here is TB really need to get Axl and the rest of the team to work their butts off on a seven day blitz, where everywhere you turn you just see GnR's....  ok

Having never been to the USA I'd imagine that's how it works there also
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »

Hard to compare.
Gnr was pretty big coming back in 2001

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »

Hard to compare.
Gnr was pretty big coming back in 2001

Well if I remember correctly the album came out 7 years after that...

and at no time since 1994 are they as big a draw as Adele is right now.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 12:45:41 PM »

I don't doubt the potential of GnR's ability to sale stuff,  but it needs to have a joined up marketing plan.

In the UK Jeff Lynne's ELO whole tour sold out in 10 minutes, promoted by New Album, but more importantly, doing niche shows on the  TV networks, BBC have Done Adele, U2, Coldplay to just name 3 acts. The but here is TB really need to get Axl and the rest of the team to work their butts off on a seven day blitz, where everywhere you turn you just see GnR's....  ok

Having never been to the USA I'd imagine that's how it works there also

Well, that's the trick, isn't it?  The bit in bold.

Axl cut off communication with the label months before the album came out.  So going from that, to a guy willing to really bust his ass with glad handing and press seems like one herculean leap.

I don't know how feasible that all it, even theoretically.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Princess Leia
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »

So, looking at the numbers Adele is producing after her latest release... 2.3 million records sold in three days in the US!

The album is not available for streaming mind you. Does this prove there's still a market for selling records the old fashioned way, or is it only the really, really big artists who can possible survive?

Would it be a smart move of Axl to force people to buy the record by not putting it up for streaming? Or do you think it's too risky, not being quite sure how high the popularity of GNR is, it might backfire and end up with no streaming income plus low selling numbers for a physical release. Putting it up for streaming later on, after losing the momentum of an album being new, could result in less total income than if the album had been available from the get-go.

Thinking of it, was Chinese Democracy the first album to suffer from streaming? Spotify had just been introduced the month before CD came out, but the consumer mass was very small ? virtually nonexistent. But, Chinese Democracy was made available for free on myspace days before the release, did it hurt the sales significantly? Maybe.

Do you think Adele would have seen the same sales numbers if the album was available at the streaming services?

In the case of Adele I don?t think streaming has anything to do with it. The way I see it Adele is a breath of fresh air in Pop music. She is far from being another Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga. I guess that why a lot of people  like her. She is showing that Pop music can be done in a different way. And that other way to do things is capable to produce huge sales numbers.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »

Do you think the sales numbers would have been pretty much the same if the album was available on Spotify and Tidal?

I'm thinking the sales numbers would have been way down, but the corresponding streaming numbers would have been very high. The result might be less income for the artist even though more people are listening to the album.

Sweetness is a virtue
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 01:37:50 PM »

In my family, the people that like Adele are all late 30s through to their 70s. None of my younger relatives like Adele bar one.

I am guessing that alot of the listeners are not into streaming or downloading. Plus the sales are inflated because Christmas is around the corner.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 01:39:04 PM »

So the demographic is the main factor you think?

What about GNR then, what's the mean age of the fans?

Sweetness is a virtue
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »

More's the point what is the age of the Mean fans  rofl 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »

GN'R has a lot of younger fans.
It's a lot more mixed than what some think, I suspect.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »

More's the point what is the age of the Mean fans  rofl 

Oh, I'm 38.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: