Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 10:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Let's not forget about our favorite cover album and live album!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's not forget about our favorite cover album and live album!  (Read 12313 times)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »

Well, that's two cracks you've had at copping to it.  You are obviously dug in to try and save whatever face you can, however you can.

No matter.  We can all read what's right up there.

We sure can, my point stands.

Guess you're not going to cop to it to try and save whatever face you can, however you can.

Post history doesn't lie.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »

Emily, you were wrong.  Flat out.

You either took one line out context, conveniently ignoring the other posts around it, as well as THE REST OF THE POST YOU QUOTED all to take some pissy little shot...

...or you legit didn't understand a rather basic conversation.

These aren't great choices, I realize.  But those are the ones you have.

Had you just copped to it, I would then entertain your hail mary subject change to deflect your embarassment.

But absent you stepping up, I can't grant you that accommodation.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »

Many of the tracks were recorded with original Guns N' Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin during the Use Your Illusion I and II sessions and then were later re-recorded with Gilby Clarke. Those tracks were previously intended to be included in a combined Use Your Illusion album, consisting of three (or possibly four) discs, instead of the two separate discs they ended up being.

In 1992, the band prepared to release the leftover cover tracks as an EP, with Gilby Clarke replacing Stradlin's guitar tracks. They later decided on making the album a full release and recorded several more tracks for it.

As far as I remember (!!) they were talking about a "Punk EP" before the Use Your Illusions were released. Then it got expanded with other songs and became a cover album.

Gilby claims he didn't erase Izzy's parts. But then he says he kinda did?

A lot of people think I erased Izzy's parts. That's actually not true. Izzy didn't play on a lot of them, so I got to just put my parts on songs that were recorded. So it was a little bit of both. It was a little bit working with Mike Clink [The Spaghetti Incident? co-producer], just myself and him, and then some of it was the whole band in there recording together.
http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/gilby_clarke/

/jarmo

That is a good point, the popular myth version is that Izzy's tracks were erased, it is written on wiki and several more internet sites.

The fact that it was originally intended as an EP goes unknown by many, as well.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »

You either took one line out context, conveniently ignoring the other posts around it, as well as THE REST OF THE POST YOU QUOTED all to take some pissy little shot...

...or you legit didn't understand a rather basic conversation.

These aren't great choices, I realize.  But those are the ones you have.

Had you just copped to it, I would perhaps then entertain your hail mary subject change to deflect your emabrassment.

Actually I'm not embarrassed because I don't take the internet as seriously as you do, and Unlike You- I personally could give two happy shits about what anonymous users on the internet think about me.

I'm not trying to impress a soul, or trying to talk smack about a band to compensate for my shortcomings.

Hard concept for you to grasp eh?

Fact is you can't dispute my point because it is true. So there is no need for you to condescendingly "grant" a thing.

Post history doesn't lie.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:37:09 AM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »

You missed your window.  Move on.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »

You missed your window.  Move on.

Haha!  Hilarious that you think you can give orders here. hihi

Point me out some places where you said complimentary things about GNR without some snarky sarcasm or whiny complaining to try and appear "objective".

After all you have all these people to try and impress, Mr "Free thinker".

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:42:27 AM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »

Point me out some places where you said complimentary things about GNR without some snarky sarcasm or whiny complaining to try and appear "objective".

Already addressed.  Again, plain for all to see :

Had you just copped to it, I would then entertain your hail mary subject change to deflect your embarassment.

Gotta think bigger picture sometimes.

In this case, some short term embarrassment to cop to a simple mistake, in hopes of then starting a new conversational thread where you might make some hay.

But, again, window missed.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »

Already addressed.  Again, plain for all to see :

Gotta think bigger picture sometimes.

In this case, some short term embarrassment to cop to a simple mistake, in hopes of then starting a new conversational thread where you might make some hay.

But, again, window missed.

It is really telling that you quoted yourself there .

What part of I don't care what anonymous strangers on the internet think about me do you not understand? I know that is a foreign concept to someone like you.  hihi

My point stands, you come here day after day to whine and complain, and offer advice to and about a band that you have obvious issues with, on several different levels.

It is odd behavior, and the fact that you place such value on "embarrassment" speaks volumes as well.

"Shut the fuck up."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »

The person who's "man enough" to claim he loves discussions but made a choice of ignoring me because, well... Who knows. Is now giving you instructions. Cheesy

"It's not serious". Right.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »

I loved both "Live Era" and "The Spaghetti Incident."  My only complaint about "Live Era" is I wish "Civil War" was on it.  I liked on the live "Use Your Illusion" video "Double Talkin Jive" transitioned into "Civil War",  would have been cool if that made the record.  Other than that I thought it was a really cool live album.  Impossible to please everyone with only a double cd to try and capture those amazing 6 years.

As far as "The Spaghetti Incident", it was a really cool fun record.  I don't understand how some people try to critique that album as the follow up to the "Illusions",  it wasn't!  Axl's photo in the liner notes is just a shot of his sneakers, and the cover art is canned spaghetti!  I don't think they were trying to recreate "Appetite" here.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 10:56:05 AM »

I loved both "Live Era" and "The Spaghetti Incident."  My only complaint about "Live Era" is I wish "Civil War" was on it.  I liked on the live "Use Your Illusion" video "Double Talkin Jive" transitioned into "Civil War",  would have been cool if that made the record.

Weirdest thing, I think.

'Live And Let Die' was the only song played at literally every show.  Even the ones that got cut short, none before that one got played.  But I could understand its exclusion, so you don't have to pay McCartney.

But 'Double Talking Jive' was played at damn near every show.  As was 'Civil War', all but the 'Skin & Bones' leg.

Only thing I could figure was that it was cut for time.  That's like 15 minutes of a concert, those linked together as they were.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »

The person who's "man enough" to claim he loves discussions but made a choice of ignoring me because, well... Who knows. Is now giving you instructions. Cheesy

"It's not serious". Right.

/jarmo

Liking discussion and liking discussion on one's own terms are very different things, IMO.

A discussion ideally is an exchange of knowledge, I think some people tend to take things spoken as a joke seriously and things spoken seriously as a joke.

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »

Liking discussion and liking discussion on one's own terms are very different things, IMO.

A discussion ideally is an exchange of knowledge, I think some people tend to take things spoken as a joke seriously and things spoken seriously as a joke.

Yeah, but one can still have obvious dislike for a person and still have the odd decent conversation despite that.  Its how I'd classify you and I, to be honest.

But when every single subject, no matter what it is, devolves into how much the other person gets under your skin, that gets tiresome.  And if I am finding it tiresome, and I'm one of the principals, I can't imagine the group at large is getting much out of it.  Its flattering to live rent free in someone's head, but its also exhausting for all involved.

And when its just one personal rant after another, and then every 4th or 5th one is inexplicably wrapped up with how much you could take or leave that person, that's Twilight Zone territory.  We'll just nevermind all the posts that came before it that refute it plain as day, up to an including the very rant you just wrapped up with how breezy you are taking things.

Thread killers, that set-up.  Every time.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 11:39:22 AM »

Certain people tend to not like this idea of knowledge.

Simple as that.

Ever noticed how they keep repeating the same old even though you've told them it's not necessarily correct? I'll give you an example. "They haven't recorded anything new since 2006".
I have a feeling you'll have to dig up that quote from Revolver magazine again in the not so distant future. All because somebody's head seems to be full of information already and more cannot be put in!  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »

Certain people tend to not like this idea of knowledge.

Simple as that.

Ever noticed how they keep repeating the same old even though you've told them it's not necessarily correct? I'll give you an example. "They haven't recorded anything new since 2006".
I have a feeling you'll have to dig up that quote from Revolver magazine again in the not so distant future. All because somebody's head seems to be full of information already and more cannot be put in!  hihi

/jarmo

I've got the Revolver Quote on file  ok

I don't think it's knowledge filling up that head, I'm guessing it to be a combination of delusion, fantasy, bitterness and plain old everyday Caca  hihi

"Shut the fuck up."
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 02:10:17 PM »

I bought The Spaghetti Incident on cassette and later CD, and then eventually got rid of both.  I only liked "Ain't it Fun" and "Black Leather".

As for Live Era, I bought that on CD on the day it came out.  I liked it at first, but that was before I started listening to GNR bootlegs and realized that Live Era (as others have said) was a massive re-tooling, tinkering, and rerecorded vocals.  I wondered why Axl's voice sounded so amazing on Live Era.... until I realized why when I listened to actual GNR live shows.  I still own Live Era but I can't really stand to listen to much of it anymore.  Trying to make a live record sound perfect doesn't make it better, it makes it sound phony.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »

Regarding the cover album, did anybody go find the originals?

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2015, 02:28:41 PM »

I did with 'Ain't It Fun'.

I love Pearl Jam's cover of The Dead Boys 'Sonic Reducer'.  So when I got 'TSI?', and heard 'Ain't It Fun', I could not believe they were done by the same band.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »

/jarmo

I had already owned and loved Misfits Collection I & II by then, and had heard the New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders, but SI made me appreciate them much more.
Which in turn led me to David Johansen?s solo career, which later led me to discover Sonny Boy Williamson, Jack Teagarden, Mississippi John Hurt, and countless others.

I think I eventually tracked down just about every original off of SI, but the Misfits, Dolls and JT are the ones I still listen to regularly.
Did stumble upon a pretty cool version of Since I don?t Have You recently by Chuck Jackson and Young Jessie.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

I did with 'Ain't It Fun'.

I love Pearl Jam's cover of The Dead Boys 'Sonic Reducer'.  So when I got 'TSI?', and heard 'Ain't It Fun', I could not believe they were done by the same band.

Yeah, those two covers made me check out the Dead Boys as well.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: