Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 10:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228116 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?  (Read 51972 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #260 on: January 06, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »

I can't see really passionately arguing Gilby over Richard.  Just don't think it really matters.

At this juncture...no it doesn't.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2016, 01:07:58 PM »

I can't see really passionately arguing Gilby over Richard.  Just don't think it really matters.

I'm still not over the miracle that is a Slash/Axl/Duff full on reunion.  How anyone, upon hearing this news, can still go ahead plant their flag in the ground over the likes of Gilby or Adler makes my jaw hit the keyboard every time.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2016, 01:10:15 PM »

I'm still not over the miracle that is a Slash/Axl/Duff full on reunion.  How anyone, upon hearing this news, can still go ahead plant their flag in the ground over the likes of Gilby or Adler makes my jaw hit the keyboard every time.

Haha.... same boat...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »

Yeah, I get it. You want Gilby instead of the guy who's more like what Izzy is like, if you can't get Izzy.
Only because your videos have Gilby in them. Makes perfect sense.

/jarmo

Lol! Yeah, that logic is beyond me. Anyone who prefer's Gilby to Richard, or even Adler to Frank is thinking with pure nostalgia at the wheel.  Rooting for an Izzy appearance I can of course understand. He wrote a good chunk of the songs we love, and is still tight with Axl and the rest.  The others?  Guest appearances at best.

I prefer Gilby to Richard and Adler to Frank  peace And yes its purely for nostalgic reasons.  I am not afraid to admit it.

To answer the title of the thread.  I am satisfied with what is going on.  I am satisfied with Axl, Slash & Duff taking the stage together again.  I genuinely thought after the RNRHOF incident that it would never happen.  I mean it when I say this, but I am happy that Axl and Slash are at least communicating with each other.  Whether they are amicable with each other or doing this reunion solely for business reasons I don't care.  Those guys went through too much together to not even talk anymore.  
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »

Richard Gilby Adler Sorum Frank....blah. The big fish is and always will be Izzy. Arghhhhh

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2016, 01:15:31 PM »

Richard Gilby Adler Sorum Frank....blah. The big fish is and always will be Izzy. Arghhhhh

You can bet he'll be around for a lot the shows and (God willing) tour.  How much is anyone's guess, but I can't see him not taking part in some way. He's really the only "alumni" that I would freak out for anyway if he made an appearance at a show I was attending.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »

There is a reason they haven't announced the full lineup for Coachella....still holding out hope for Izzy playing at least those shows.

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:12 PM »

Im pretty sure they are negotiating with Adler and Izzy at least some guest spots!  peace
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:54 PM »

Yeah, I get it. You want Gilby instead of the guy who's more like what Izzy is like, if you can't get Izzy.
Only because your videos have Gilby in them. Makes perfect sense.

/jarmo

I fail to see any similarities between Izzy and Richard.

Izzy wrote songs that helped propel GN?R into one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

Richard covered them.
During an era I have no emotional attachment to.

Again, Izzy to me is as big a draw as Axl and Slash.

If he doesn?t participate, it?s a let down regardless of whether Gilby or Richard are filling in.

Very cool that Axl, Slash and Duff are involved.
Just not as cool as Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven could be.
That?s all.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »

The problem is that Gilby failed to achieve the sound Izzy brought to begin with because: a) he oversimplified Izzy's work; and b) he was always buried into the mix (seems like it wasn't Slash's fault, because all the other rhythm guitar players he worked with had a better mix). IMHO, if you rather get him, you really don't care about the sound - or even you don't care about Izzy's guitar work overall.

So, if we are not getting Izzy, of course I would pick Richard. He's been in the band for 14 years already, it's only natural. And again, he plays Izzy's parts just like he's supposed to do.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »

The problem is that Gilby failed to achieve the sound Izzy brought to begin with because: a) he oversimplified Izzy's work; and b) he was always buried into the mix (seems like it wasn't Slash's fault, because all the other rhythm guitar players he worked with had a better mix). IMHO, if you rather get him, you really don't care about the sound - or even you don't care about Izzy's guitar work overall.

So, if we are not getting Izzy, of course I would pick Richard. He's been in the band for 14 years already, it's only natural. And again, he plays Izzy's parts just like he's supposed to do.

Well we aren?t going to change each others minds here.

Izzy is my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc choice.

Gilby would make for a halfway decent consolation prize because he was at least a part of the amazing Illusions tours.

I didn?t vote for Richard.
I don?t question his ability, or importance to post Illusions GN?R, but he happens to be part of a pretty forgettable(to me) era of the band.
I also don?t question that he may be a better choice if starting a cover band, but my preference would again me the real deal, Izzy.

It looks like Richard is in, so I?m happy you and fans of his will get to see him up there.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2016, 02:47:32 PM »

Its sort of funny to hear one of Richard's big selling points is being able to play like Izzy...

...when just about every member of the original band said Izzy's guitar playing was average, at best.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #272 on: January 06, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »

I don't think Izzy and Richard are alike at all....Richard is really more of a lead player but what do I know.... Huh

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #273 on: January 06, 2016, 02:53:32 PM »

Well we aren?t going to change each others minds here.

Izzy is my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc choice.

Gilby would make for a halfway decent consolation prize because he was at least a part of the amazing Illusions tours.

I didn?t vote for Richard.
I don?t question his ability, or importance to post Illusions GN?R, but he happens to be part of a pretty forgettable(to me) era of the band.
I also don?t question that he may be a better choice if starting a cover band, but my preference would again me the real deal, Izzy.

It looks like Richard is in, so I?m happy you and fans of his will get to see him up there.
Not trying to change your mind. Actually I was just trying to find any logic behind it. Like I said before, if it's all about opinion, fair enough. And of course I wasn't talking about Izzy, he would be my first choice too.

Its sort of funny to hear one of Richard's big selling points is being able to play like Izzy...

...when just about every member of the original band said Izzy's guitar playing was average, at best.

Nobody is really talking about skills. Richard is more than capable of it, hence why he actually played some Slash and Buckethead solos.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #274 on: January 06, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »

Richard and Slash will be interesting...double barrel shotgun!

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #275 on: January 06, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »

This is quite simple... I love Adler. He has the chops to play UYI stuff, he wrote the drums for most of it anyways.

Frank is the better drummer though, and the safer pick. I'm cool with Frank being the guy. Just let Adler do some stuff on a few shows.

With Richard, I'm also cool with him, as he's very underrated. I would prefer Gilby personally but either are great. Izzy would be amazing but I don't think that is going to happen.

I'm just happy overall about it all.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #276 on: January 06, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »

To you yes, to the majority of people buying tickets, absolutely not.  This week I have found myself having to explain to people who own Guns N Roses albums and plan on attending any possible shows coming up who Izzy Stradlin is.  Its crazy but true.  Some were not quite sure who Duff was either.  To the majority of the public its Axl/Slash,  Tyler/Perry, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant etc..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:16:13 PM by Bodhi » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2016, 04:26:05 PM »

To you yes, to the majority of people buying tickets, absolutely not.  This week I have found myself having to explain to people who own Guns N Roses albums and plan on attending any possible shows coming up who Izzy Stradlin is.  Its crazy but true.  Some were not quite sure who Duff was either.  To the majority of the public its Axl/Slash,  Tyler/Perry, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant etc..

Yep, yep.

I personally consider Izzy the most important guy in band history after Axl.

But that is inside baseball thinking.  To the general public, Slash is #2.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »

To you yes, to the majority of people buying tickets, absolutely not. 

Izzy is, what a press release might call it, a founding member.
But never had the mainstream popularity... And what he had, he walked away from.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2016, 04:33:02 PM »

Well if Izzy and Slash were to share the stage I wonder could a track like 'Ghost' be thrown in there as a bonus. Would love to hear Axl's vocals on some of that material  peace

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: