Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 10:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228116 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?  (Read 52018 times)
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:48 AM »

The guy who said that people took sides when the band split couldn't be more right!!  ok

Many years have passed and these differences just got stronger. for me, the perfect scenario would be Axl/Duff/Slash/Matt/Fortus....I would be happier.
but it doesn't mean I wont attend any concert or stop supporting them...We have to respect whoever is on stage.

People tend to want the unreachable and whats already gone...psychology can explain that.

Also, theres a portion of people that put Izzy in an altar...as if he is a rock God or something...

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
Brahaman
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »

The guy who said that people took sides when the band split couldn't be more right!!  ok

Many years have passed and these differences just got stronger. for me, the perfect scenario would be Axl/Duff/Slash/Matt/Fortus....I would be happier.
but it doesn't mean I wont attend any concert or stop supporting them...We have to respect whoever is on stage.

People tend to want the unreachable and whats already gone...psychology can explain that.

Also, theres a portion of people that put Izzy in an altar...as if he is a rock God or something...
Not a God, just the soul of GNR 85-91. Without him, there is no GNR.
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »

well izzy is the co writer on many songs so it's deserving.
personally i am glad to see then put there shit behind them but it just feels to late in the game
will i go see them if they tour after coachella most likely here in the nyc area yes i will
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »

The question in itself is absurd and asinine in my opinion. The obvious answer is no. There are too many opinions of what the fan-base likes and wants from GN'R. There are many different music types, incarnations of GN'R to please everyone. Basically, each fan has to take what they like and enjoy it no matter what era they like. There have been parts from the GN'R era that I have both liked and disliked. The music I have enjoyed, I still enjoy and listen to today. And the music I dislike, I've always just kept hope that I would enjoy the next music that came from GN'R if any were ever released. This is not throwing hate at the music, Axl, or any band members. I'm just thinking in realistic terms.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »

If Izzy was not approached about taking part I think some complain would be warranted. But I think it's far more likely he's just not interested in a giant tour.

If in fact Izzy was asked and passed I'm not sure any complaining is valid here.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »

Take the Gilby thing, for example - at mygnr there is people demanding that Gilby is present. Well, Gilby represents absolutely nothing in GNR history, he accomplished absolutely nothing, he was not instrumental in absolutely anything. He is also an extremely average guitar player, technically miles behind Fortus and most other players that were a part of GNR at any point. But he is old, he was around in the 90s, so he is more legit, cooler and has to be there.
Agree with you 100%. Gilby had zero input unless you consider TSI's power chords to be anything worthy. It's like demanding Teddy Zig Zag on the current lineup.

Something wrong with being a fan of Gilby and/or wanting to see him again? It's a personal opinion. And to some, the technical ability is not all there is.
I believe you tried to quote me. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being a fan or wanting him again, of course.

What I meant was people talking like this:

If it ends up being Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, & Steven, I?ll be there. Not ideal, but Sorum and Gilby would probably get me there too.
If the rumours of the kinda-sorta reunion are true, I think I?ll enjoy catching it on youtube just the same.
Why is it Gilby any different than Richard? At least Richard had an input in an original record (although no writing credit). Gilby didnt write anything, he just recorded power chords for covers and looked cool in a buch of videos. Somehow, people still consider him "more worthy" than any new member after Slash left the band in the '90s and that makes no sense.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #246 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:16 AM »

Take the Gilby thing, for example - at mygnr there is people demanding that Gilby is present. Well, Gilby represents absolutely nothing in GNR history, he accomplished absolutely nothing, he was not instrumental in absolutely anything. He is also an extremely average guitar player, technically miles behind Fortus and most other players that were a part of GNR at any point. But he is old, he was around in the 90s, so he is more legit, cooler and has to be there.
Agree with you 100%. Gilby had zero input unless you consider TSI's power chords to be anything worthy. It's like demanding Teddy Zig Zag on the current lineup.

Something wrong with being a fan of Gilby and/or wanting to see him again? It's a personal opinion. And to some, the technical ability is not all there is.
I believe you tried to quote me. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being a fan or wanting him again, of course.

If it ends up being Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, & Steven, I?ll be there. Not ideal, but Sorum and Gilby would probably get me there too.
If the rumours of the kinda-sorta reunion are true, I think I?ll enjoy catching it on youtube just the same.
Why is it Gilby any different than Richard? At least Richard had an input in an original record (although no writing credit). Gilby didnt write anything, he just recorded power chords for covers and looked cool in a buch of videos. Somehow, people still consider him "more worthy" than any new member after Slash left the band in the '90s and that makes no sense.

I think I get what you mean, and I don't think there's anything that makes Gilby "more important" or anything. Maybe it's just someones preference to have him onboard? But of course it makes no sense saying that Gilby has had more input in GN'R's production than Richard, when it's clearly not true. Some people just tend to like some lineups for no particular reason and they'll stick with that no matter what. Nothing wrong there!

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #247 on: January 06, 2016, 11:39:12 AM »

I think I get what you mean, and I don't think there's anything that makes Gilby "more important" or anything. Maybe it's just someones preference to have him onboard? But of course it makes no sense saying that Gilby has had more input in GN'R's production than Richard, when it's clearly not true. Some people just tend to like some lineups for no particular reason and they'll stick with that no matter what. Nothing wrong there!
Yeah, I can accept that argument for sure. If it's all about opinion, I agree 100%.

RusselNash
Opening Act

« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »

If Izzy was not approached about taking part I think some complain would be warranted. But I think it's far more likely he's just not interested in a giant tour.

If in fact Izzy was asked and passed I'm not sure any complaining is valid here.

If they do a tour after Coachella he can jump every time he wants like he did in the past.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »

I wouldn?t say Gilby is more important than Richard.
If Izzy isn?t an option, than Gilby would be my second pick because he?s the guy I remember from the Illusion tours.
I liked his live Wild Horses tradeoff with Slash, and Dead Horse cover on Pawnshop guitars, whereas I personally have no emotional attachment to Richard. I?m honestly not sure what he contributed to Chinese Democracy, and it?s a record that didn?t resonate with me regardless.

Izzy to me is as much a draw as Axl and Slash.
He was instrumental in the writing process for the era of the band I became a fan of, and it probably helps that he?s been so elusive as far as live performances go over the years, whereas I?ve seen Slash, Axl and Duff countless times post ?93.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #250 on: January 06, 2016, 11:56:53 AM »

If Izzy isn?t an option, than Gilby would be my second pick because he?s the guy I remember from the Illusion tours.
I liked his live Wild Horses tradeoff with Slash, and Dead Horse cover on Pawnshop guitars, whereas I personally have no emotional attachment to Richard. I?m honestly not sure what he contributed to Chinese Democracy, and it?s a record that didn?t resonate with me regardless.

So you'd rather choose a guy you remember than a guy we know can play basically anything?

"We?re fortunate to have found Richard who has this vibe kind of like Izzy but with amazing feel. The first thing I heard Richard play was the beginning of "Stray Cat Blues" by the Stones and he did it with the right feel. Richard likes to play rhythm. He?s an amazing lead player and very technically skilled. He really likes the pocket that Brain sets and the two of them click with Tommy so we finally have the real deal rhythm section, as Richard is a proven professional. Basically, Richard?s the guy that we always were looking for. I think that we?ll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he?s already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album.?

Axl in 2002

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #251 on: January 06, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »

So you'd rather choose a guy you remember than a guy we know can play basically anything?

"We?re fortunate to have found Richard who has this vibe kind of like Izzy but with amazing feel. The first thing I heard Richard play was the beginning of "Stray Cat Blues" by the Stones and he did it with the right feel. Richard likes to play rhythm. He?s an amazing lead player and very technically skilled. He really likes the pocket that Brain sets and the two of them click with Tommy so we finally have the real deal rhythm section, as Richard is a proven professional. Basically, Richard?s the guy that we always were looking for. I think that we?ll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he?s already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album.?

Axl in 2002

/jarmo

I think the people that prefer Gilby is basically because of the Tokyo Video, that was played on TV and sold like crazy back in the day, its basically the only official video of the classic GNR lineup. Gilby got tons of exposure because of it at the time GNR exploded and took over the world!
Thats said I dont mind Richard Fortus on this current line up, ideally Izzy if not Fortus is good!  beer
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #252 on: January 06, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »

Axl in 2002

/jarmo

Yup.

Mick Taylor can play pretty much anything, too, but he?s not affiliated with the era of GN?R I?m a fan of.
I get that there are fans of all eras, and fans of Richard would like to see him involved. That?s cool, I get it.

I?m personally not into anything Richard has done in his career, so given the choice, I?d take Izzy.
If not possible, Gilbyl. He?s not on Izzy?s level by any means, but could be cool.
If not Gilby, it really doesn?t matter to me. Richard will not be a draw in any way, and neither will Frank.

The focus for me would be Axl, Slash and Duff.
The rest of the band will be filled by those guys that replaced the guys that wrote those songs I?m a fan of.
It will be cool, but still feel very much incomplete.

Honestly I don?t personally know of anyone that feels otherwise.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #253 on: January 06, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »

Yeah, I get it. You want Gilby instead of the guy who's more like what Izzy is like, if you can't get Izzy.
Only because your videos have Gilby in them. Makes perfect sense.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #254 on: January 06, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »

Thank God Izzy likes to show up in Europe!
😉😉😉💃💃💃

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »

I totally get LongGone's view.

I think it's because Gilby was part of the most popular era and was the first replacement selected by the band back then. there's a connection between him and Axl, him and Slash, him and Duff. Slash and Duff have no real past with Richard (ok, Slash played on The Dead Daisis). It#S kinda cooler to have the replacement than to have the replacement of the replacement.

Besides Tommy, Richard was/is the coolest new bandmember since the departure of Slash and Duff. he fits playingwise and performacewise I'd think and he seems to be a nice guy.

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »

I think it's because Gilby was part of the most popular era and was the first replacement selected by the band back then. there's a connection between him and Axl, him and Slash, him and Duff. Slash and Duff have no real past with Richard (ok, Slash played on The Dead Daisis). It#S kinda cooler to have the replacement than to have the replacement of the replacement.

Yeah, this doesn't seem all that wacky to me.

Gilby was a part of the band at the height of the popularity and visibility.  No one outside of we diehards even knows who Richard Fortus is.

I can see both the argument that Gilby never wrote anything nor appeared on any original GNR material.  But Fortus wasn't exactly a driving force in the writing on the one album we did get that he's on.  And its the album with the least amount of exposure, made the least impact, and the most likely to be glossed over in these setlists.

Ultimately, does it matter?  Tickets are being sold on the backs of Axl, Slash, and Duff.  The other ones could probably quite literally be anyone.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2016, 12:55:37 PM »

Yeah, this doesn't seem all that wacky to me.

Gilby was a part of the band at the height of the popularity and visibility.  No one outside of we diehards even knows who Richard Fortus is.

I can see both the argument that Gilby never wrote anything nor appeared on any original GNR material.  But Fortus wasn't exactly a driving force in the writing on the one album we did get that he's on.  And its the album with the least amount of exposure, made the least impact, and the most likely to be glossed over in these setlists.

Ultimately, does it matter?  Tickets are being sold on the backs of Axl, Slash, and Duff.  The other ones could probably quite literally be anyone.

I prefer Richard over Gilby. I only wish Richard was around in 93 ... maybe the two big chiefs wouldn't have fought so much over the spot if he was. He's the perfect guy to fill Izzy's shoes. We've known for some time that Slash is pro Richard.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #258 on: January 06, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »

Yeah, I get it. You want Gilby instead of the guy who's more like what Izzy is like, if you can't get Izzy.
Only because your videos have Gilby in them. Makes perfect sense.

/jarmo

Lol! Yeah, that logic is beyond me. Anyone who prefer's Gilby to Richard, or even Adler to Frank is thinking with pure nostalgia at the wheel.  Rooting for an Izzy appearance I can of course understand. He wrote a good chunk of the songs we love, and is still tight with Axl and the rest.  The others?  Guest appearances at best.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »

I can't see really passionately arguing Gilby over Richard.  Just don't think it really matters.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: