Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:59:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  A toast to Axl.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: A toast to Axl.  (Read 6228 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« on: November 11, 2015, 06:11:51 PM »

For all his faults, Axl, every time he had a grand, big idea back in the old days, it worked. None of the band really wanted to do Sweet Child O' Mine - and it was Axl who pushed for it to be released as a single, and it's the song that blew them into the stratosphere - their sole #1 Billboard Hot 100 hit. It's the song that probably helped push Appetite into being the mega success that it was.

None of the other members really "got" or were into November Rain - and that was their second biggest hit, and it helped catapult them into being iconic.

The video alone was the biggest video on MTV for all of 1992, even though 1992 is supposed to be the year of Kurt Cobain. Sweet Child O' Mine brought the band mainstream success and acceptance, and November Rain cemented Guns' status in pop culture as not just a one hit wonder or one-trick-pony hair band or a flash in the pan. The November Rain video, with Stephanie Seymour in her slutty wedding dress and Slash playing his solo in the desert, is not only a big part of GN'R's history, but it's a part of '90s pop culture. I'm sure there's many a kid out there who danced at their prom in 1992 to November Rain with their childhood sweetheart and many a guy in the 80s who got laid his first time to SCOM.

Axl's not infallible, he's got his flaws like any other human being, and I've had many disagreements with his choices and actions over the years, but no one can really deny his talent, or his vision for having grand, big ideas and his boldness to want to go against the grain and accomplish them. So, here's a toast to Axl Smiley

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 08:24:13 AM »

While it's commendable that you'd post something positive, it's still hard to take you or your posts seriously.

If it's attention you want, you already got it. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »

beyond being a good singer, songwriter and a solid, energetic and vibrant frontman (that's
already qualities few can pretend to have) Axl has a talent not many people notice :

he can take primer matter and transform it to to gold, taking others contributions to build
a whole great thing adding his own. you must have a very good sense of songwriting and
balance between elements to achieve that.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »

The November Rain video, with Stephanie Seymour in her slutty wedding dress and Slash playing his solo in the desert, is not only a big part of GN'R's history, but it's a part of '90s pop culture.

No doubt.  My brother got married back in May and I was the best man. 

The day before, I posted the video on Facebook with this caption :

With my brother Ryan getting married tomorrow and myself as best man, I consulted the best wedding guide I could think of. From what I can glean, after I saunter up and drop the rings in the priest's bible, I head outside for a killer guitar solo. Guess I should have been practicing that, and not that speech for the reception.

And like, 15 people came up and commented on it at the reception.  Because no one our age doesn't know that video by heart.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Annie
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:29:38 AM »

The November Rain video, with Stephanie Seymour in her slutty wedding dress and Slash playing his solo in the desert, is not only a big part of GN'R's history, but it's a part of '90s pop culture.

No doubt.  My brother got married back in May and I was the best man. 

The day before, I posted the video on Facebook with this caption :

With my brother Ryan getting married tomorrow and myself as best man, I consulted the best wedding guide I could think of. From what I can glean, after I saunter up and drop the rings in the priest's bible, I head outside for a killer guitar solo. Guess I should have been practicing that, and not that speech for the reception.

And like, 15 people came up and commented on it at the reception.  Because no one our age doesn't know that video by heart.
That's pretty cool. I didn't think the wedding dress was slutty. Love love love that video!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:31:24 AM by Sweet Child O'DEXTER » Logged
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 12:32:46 PM »

While it's commendable that you'd post something positive, it's still hard to take you or your posts seriously.

/jarmo

Bad

hihi

For all his faults, Axl, every time he had a grand, big idea back in the old days, it worked. None of the band really wanted to do Sweet Child O' Mine - and it was Axl who pushed for it to be released as a single, and it's the song that blew them into the stratosphere - their sole #1 Billboard Hot 100 hit. It's the song that probably helped push Appetite into being the mega success that it was.

None of the other members really "got" or were into November Rain - and that was their second biggest hit, and it helped catapult them into being iconic.

The video alone was the biggest video on MTV for all of 1992, even though 1992 is supposed to be the year of Kurt Cobain. Sweet Child O' Mine brought the band mainstream success and acceptance, and November Rain cemented Guns' status in pop culture as not just a one hit wonder or one-trick-pony hair band or a flash in the pan. The November Rain video, with Stephanie Seymour in her slutty wedding dress and Slash playing his solo in the desert, is not only a big part of GN'R's history, but it's a part of '90s pop culture. I'm sure there's many a kid out there who danced at their prom in 1992 to November Rain with their childhood sweetheart and many a guy in the 80s who got laid his first time to SCOM.

Axl's not infallible, he's got his flaws like any other human being, and I've had many disagreements with his choices and actions over the years, but no one can really deny his talent, or his vision for having grand, big ideas and his boldness to want to go against the grain and accomplish them. So, here's a toast to Axl Smiley

Other Example -> CHINESE DEMOCRACY

Happy 4.000 Post HBK

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »

We love our HBK....ALWAYS SOLD OUT!

D-gen, did you dive in to the cake?

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 06:00:03 PM »

That's because he is awesome. GNR wouldn't be as big without Axl. He keeps the band rocking all these years

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 06:02:58 PM »

It was discussed.  Ultimately decided against.

I was outvoted.  Pretty selfish bride, you ask me.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Annie
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »

Nah, just not a diehard GNR fan. i would have let you do it! But i would have made you pay for the cake. those suckers are at least $500
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »

When it comes to barely credible gnr-songs like u ain't the first, axl do give them some touch. Same on dust and bones.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 11:20:39 PM »

What kinda GNR fan takes a vote....

Nothing rock n roll about that...

Excuse me miss.....  Do you mind if I miss behave right now?   Oh no?  Ok.  I will sit back down here and drink my milk.....

And you also say you listen to the N.W.A.     hahahahahahahhahaa
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 03:43:13 AM »

I Sold Brother Whit System

Cry

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »

I think that ability to see things in a grander sense has only sharpened over the years. 30/40/50 years from now, or even further down the road, his behavior and actions during this era will add so much to the mystique and legend of the band.

I am very glad they havent released any imo sub par music in this new era just to get something out there. I feel like that would only hurt the gnr legacy in the longrun and agree with the iron clad standards he holds his music to. Theres too much at stake, its important to be very careful I think. Theres not much to gain from rushing or taking any risks... hes already rich and famous, and gnr is already established as a legendary rock group... sure, he might be able to garner more media attention, but does he really want that? Before Jim Morrisson died, he said if he could do it again he wouldve lived as an anonymous poet. And releasing material more rapidly may appease some fans, but then again, it may not. I think slow and steady is the best way to play this game for him now.

If you think I will always side with him, thats not the case. I hate silkworms because of the vox and lyrics, and my world is such an awful song imo. And what was that he was saying about making a rap version of welcome to the jungle or something along those lines back in the day? That sounds like a terrible idea to me. Hated the rapping on the tokyo dvd. I definitely dont like some of the music he likes as ive looked into some of it. He apparently loved Nirvana, I hate them. Not a fan of janes addiction either.

But as far as music and lyrics go in more recent years (cd), he hit the nail right on the head as far as my personal taste goes. I have no reason to doubt he can do that again, and he can take all the time he wants in my book. Hes earned my respect as an artist, not that he would care. And nobody compares to him as a performer. His act is unreal, just like his voice.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
19AT5
Opening Act

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »

/jarmo

This site is strange. Maybe I'm missing something but why and how is that acceptable?!
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »

so you, with your little 20 posts, will say to us, what it acceptable here or not?

you're funny.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »

This site is strange. Maybe I'm missing something but why and how is that acceptable?!

You mean how is questioning a troll acceptable?
If they weren't so desperate for attention, I wouldn't have to do it. Smiley

So maybe you are missing something....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 04:54:16 PM »

I think that ability to see things in a grander sense has only sharpened over the years. 30/40/50 years from now, or even further down the road, his behavior and actions during this era will add so much to the mystique and legend of the band.

Or maybe he's just grounded enough to not go for bullshit or instant gratification and give 100% for whatever he does decide to go for? Truly going all in according to your vision is incredibly powerful. Especially when you have the talent to accomplish a lot by yourself instead of having to heavily rely on others to carry out your vision. The first part I can relate to and the latter (talent) I envy a bit...  Cheesy
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 01:42:25 AM »

Or maybe he's just grounded enough to not go for bullshit or instant gratification and give 100% for whatever he does decide to go for? Truly going all in according to your vision is incredibly powerful. Especially when you have the talent to accomplish a lot by yourself instead of having to heavily rely on others to carry out your vision. The first part I can relate to and the latter (talent) I envy a bit...  Cheesy

thats very hard to do! our dna always tells us to go for the instant gratification. its how we survived on this planet throughout all those more ape like phases of our existence. we are still pretty ape like though! 

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 02:03:15 AM »

thats very hard to do! our dna always tells us to go for the instant gratification. its how we survived on this planet throughout all those more ape like phases of our existence. we are still pretty ape like though! 

also, i think theres no need to make the distinction between vision and talent. he wasnt born with a voice like that. i think he himself said he wanted to sing very much. that was the only sort of inborn talent. everything else he had to work for, and that all falls under vision. he has a very strong will. that is rare these days. two important aspects of any major undertaking are will and aim. he has both, so some traditions would say he can "do". usually nobody does anything, everything just happens the way "it" rains, "it snows", "it" thaws. we have the illusion of free will but actually when we think we do, its just a bunch of chemical reactions and brain signals firing off that we have virtually no control over. in other words there are no actions, only reactions. even with him everything just "happens", but it happens in a slightly different way because he has developed a relatively free will. he is more free inside from the will/opinions/pressures of other people than most (it seems), so his will is relatively free, but its still not absolute free will.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: