Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Izzy's "demotion"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Izzy's "demotion"  (Read 54416 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »

Yet I do see what he is trying to say. Its a valid point of view.

The way I see it he's talking about people.
Did GNR lead guitar evolve throughout the years or, did it change? He says it changed because the person doing the lead guitar playing changed. From Slash, to Buckethead, Robin, DJ Ashba?.

IF it had been Slash all those years, and he is displaying a different sound between 1987 and 2015 in the same band, then the way he sees it there's evolution.
IF we're talking about the lead guitar sound of the band between 1987 and 2015, he sees it as changing, not evolving, because its not the same person.

Yeah, the logic is that since you changed the players, the sound can't have evolved.
Even though there's the one guy there who's been the constant through all the changes.

I just don't agree with that.

So you admit the fact that the constant who's been in the band since day one has evolved, you can see that. But you can't see that because he has evolved, it would affect the music he writes for the band called Guns N' Roses, and thus making the band's music evolve as a result....

The way you see it is that the chef in the kitchen went to Europe for a year to study cooking, but when he got back, he's still just making the same cheese burgers as he was cooking before the trip.... Even though the kitchen staff changed and they're introduced new ingredients for the items on the menu. They didn't evolve because people learned and experienced new things, they changed!  Tongue

Was that one guy responsible for the the sound?

The constant who has been in the band since day one - was he responsible for the guitar sound, drum sound, bass sound on every record? Was he in charge since day one?
Where do you see a logical progression from anything on AFD-Illusions to Shackler's Revenge?

Appetite through Illusions fall under the common denominator of 'hard rock'....Shackler's Revenge, for example, is industrial metal.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2015, 01:42:37 PM »

The constant who has been in the band since day one - was he responsible for the guitar sound, drum sound, bass sound on every record? Was he in charge since day one?
Where do you see a logical progression from anything on AFD-Illusions to Shackler's Revenge?

Appetite through Illusions fall under the common denominator of 'hard rock'....Shackler's Revenge, for example, is industrial metal.

Just an example.
Who brought Estranged to the band?
Did that sound like any of the songs on Appetite to you?

One person isn't necessarily solely responsible for an evolution in a band's sound, unless he's the sole song writer, but one person sure can influence it and push others in a certain direction.

If you honestly think the difference between AFD and UYI is mostly because of somebody else than Axl, that's fine. I don't agree....  Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »

GN?R evolved from AFD through the Illusions, before imploding.

Axl started a new band, made up of entirely different personnel(save for Dizzy) and gave it the same name.

The sound from Illusions to Chinese is not a natural evolution. Some may think it sounds like one in their heads, and that?s all well and good, but those albums were made by two separate bands.
One band can?t evolve the sound of an others.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2015, 01:43:12 PM »

Axl, in his own words, said that post 1995 was to be a new band which shared the name Guns N' Roses...Are we to dismiss Axl's own words and claim that this band, and the pre-1995 band, are one and the same?

"This will serve as notice [that] effective [...] Decemeber 30th 1995, I will withdraw from the partnership. [...] I intend to use the name 'Guns N' Roses' in connection with a new group which I will form."

And you're dismissing what he said in 2008!

Personally I call this Guns and the Illusions or previous lineups old Guns.

Same band name, different line ups. Smiley

/jarmo

Or, same band name, different band?
He even used the term: "new group". New band. Same brand.
It signifies there was in deed, a separation and a difference pre and post 1995 structurally or internally.
One was a band of equal partners called Guns N' Roses. The partners changed slightly in this time period, but legally and in terms of it being a partnership, it was the same entity. Prior to 1995, Axl, Slash and Duff were equal shareholders in the enterprise known as "Guns N' Roses." To use business language, they were all Presidents of the same company.
Then in 1995, Axl withdrew from that legal framework and formed a new company with the same name - but a company at which he would be the sole shareholder/CEO.
From 1995 onward, it was a different legal entity, a different legal partnership consisting of one sole legal band member, and under him, contracted employees who could be hired or fired at said sole shareholder's discretion.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »

Axl started a new band, made up of entirely different personnel(save for Dizzy) and gave it the same name.

The sound from Illusions to Chinese is not a natural evolution. Some may think it sounds like one in their heads, and that?s all well and good, but those albums were made by two separate bands.

Yep.

Learn it, live it, love it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »

Did GNR lead guitar evolve throughout the years or, did it change? He says it changed because the person doing the lead guitar playing changed. From Slash, to Buckethead, Robin, DJ Ashba?.

IF it had been Slash all those years, and he is displaying a different sound between 1987 and 2015 in the same band, then the way he sees it there's evolution.
IF we're talking about the lead guitar sound of the band between 1987 and 2015, he sees it as changing, not evolving, because its not the same person.

Yeah, the logic is that since you changed the players, the sound can't have evolved.
Even though there's the one guy there who's been the constant through all the changes.

Axl has evolved...  I hope he has, he is around 50 years old and shouldn't be writing songs or singing like he was when he was in his early 20s.  But is Guns N Roses, just Axl?   You cant say the sound of guns has evolved, just because one member that was around from day one has.

I am not hung up on any artist or musician or who plays the songs.  I love the music.  But to say the Guns N Roses has evolved because the music on CD is different than AFD, is wrong.  The music is just that, different.  It changed..

So you admit the fact that the constant who's been in the band since day one has evolved, you can see that. But you can't see that because he has evolved, it would affect the music he writes for the band called Guns N' Roses, and thus making the band's music evolve as a result....

The way you see it is that the chef in the kitchen went to Europe for a year to study cooking, but when he got back, he's still just making the same cheese burgers as he was cooking before the trip.... Even though the kitchen staff changed and they're introduced new ingredients for the items on the menu. They didn't evolve because people learned and experienced new things, they changed!  Tongue

/jarmo

So if Axl was just guns n roses I would say you are right.  If Axl evolves then the whole band guns n roses evolves.  But to me the band guns n roses is way more than just one guy

Also Axl may have evolved.  But his position in the band was not always what it is today.  Up until 1995 he was a equal partner with a couple of other band members after that he has been his own boss.    

I think if Axl had been in total power pack in the 1980s and mid 90s the albums and music would of sounded totally different
for something to evolve it has to be something.  The musicians on CD (other than dizzy/Axl), never wrote a guns album before.   How could they evolve?   Slash evolved into buckethead some how?  It's just a different sound written by different players who are guns n roses.  Directed and produced in a way that Axl wanted.    now of the next album is by the same players and sounds different you can say it's a evolution

If there is different players that sound different on the next album.   Its not a evolution.  It's just a album that sounds different

Especially if for some reason we get a one off reunion album written by Axl duff and slash.   I guess the band would of evolved so much that it's starting right back from where it started

Axl stripped down guns and started something fresh.   It was great I love CD and the love concerts I have been to.  But it was no evolution.   It was a band on its own
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »

Just an example.
Who brought Estranged to the band?
Did that sound like any of the songs on Appetite to you?

One person isn't necessarily solely responsible for an evolution in a band's sound, unless he's the sole song writer, but one person sure can influence it and push others in a certain direction.

If you honestly think the difference between AFD and UYI is mostly because of somebody else than Axl, that's fine. I don't agree....  Smiley

Who helped craft Estranged beyond a simple piano-only piece?
Yes, it did by virtue of the same guitar player and bassist playing on the songs. Slash's guitar tone is very unique and quite signature.

So, Coma, a piece Slash brought in mostly complete - that was Axl pushing the others in a certain direction?
Don't Damn Me, Civil War, Bad Apples, to name a few - songs composed entirely musically by Slash, Duff and Izzy in Chicago when Axl (by EVERY account) was absent - that was Axl pushing the others in a certain direction?

The differences between AFD and the UYIs were a result of all band members growing musically. Are you going to deny a good chunk of the UYIs were songs Slash, Duff or Izzy brought in almost whole which Axl then added lyrics and vocals to? But outside of Steven Adler, there was a commonality in both the composition/writers and thus sound besides Axl - Slash, Duff, Izzy (and West Arkeen helping). You have the main musical section - the lead guitar, and a majority of the rhythm section - intact from the first album through Illusions. Thus, you can call it an evolution.

Evolution happens in steps. You don't go from a dinosaur to a bird or Homo Erectus to Human overnight - there are a lot of intermediate steps. I consider Chinese Democracy's departure in sound a revolution rather than an evolution, considering there was only constant in the mix, one commonality.

Even if your argument was true - that Axl was leading/guiding the others - Slash, Duff, Izzy - had signature elements to their own personal sound, which they brought with them to all the records they play on, both styles of playing and styles of writing which remained in place from album to album.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »

Axl, in his own words, said that post 1995 was to be a new band which shared the name Guns N' Roses...Are we to dismiss Axl's own words and claim that this band, and the pre-1995 band, are one and the same?

"This will serve as notice [that] effective [...] Decemeber 30th 1995, I will withdraw from the partnership. [...] I intend to use the name 'Guns N' Roses' in connection with a new group which I will form."

And you're dismissing what he said in 2008!

Personally I call this Guns and the Illusions or previous lineups old Guns.

Same band name, different line ups. Smiley

/jarmo

Or, same band name, different band?
He even used the term: "new group". New band. Same brand.
It signifies there was in deed, a separation and a difference pre and post 1995 structurally or internally.
One was a band of equal partners called Guns N' Roses. The partners changed slightly in this time period, but legally and in terms of it being a partnership, it was the same entity. Prior to 1995, Axl, Slash and Duff were equal shareholders in the enterprise known as "Guns N' Roses." To use business language, they were all Presidents of the same company.
Then in 1995, Axl withdrew from that legal framework and formed a new company with the same name - but a company at which he would be the sole shareholder/CEO.
From 1995 onward, it was a different legal entity, a different legal partnership consisting of one sole legal band member, and under him, contracted employees who could be hired or fired at said sole shareholder's discretion.

Exactlly. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2015, 01:53:49 PM »

I see a bunch of people who have a hard time giving Axl any credit..... Surprise!
The band changed, the sound didn't evolve, it's not the same band, it's not the same legal entity blah blah blah.

The band's sound evolved out of necessity. Certain people quit.
These things happen. It's been almost 20 years now....

Who helped craft Estranged beyond a simple piano-only piece?
Yes, it did by virtue of the same guitar player and bassist playing on the songs. Slash's guitar tone is very unique and quite signature.

Why didn't you answer my question?
Was it that difficult?

So, Coma, a piece Slash brought in mostly complete - that was Axl pushing the others in a certain direction?
Don't Damn Me, Civil War, Bad Apples, to name a few - songs composed entirely musically by Slash, Duff and Izzy in Chicago when Axl (by EVERY account) was absent - that was Axl pushing the others in a certain direction?

And those songs really sound a lot different from Appetite?

So answer this, who brought in piano to GN'R, a "guitar band"? Why was Dizzy added to the band?

Even if your argument was true - that Axl was leading/guiding the others - Slash, Duff, Izzy - had signature elements to their own personal sound, which they brought with them to all the records they play on, both styles of playing and styles of writing which remained in place from album to album.

Yeah, you don't really like giving Axl a whole lot of credit do you?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »

Some people may confuse the sound of a band with them just choosing specific songs to make an album sound cohesive.

Who are those people that confuse "the sound of a band with them just choosing specific songs to make an album sound cohesive?" Cheesy

The people doing the "pigeonholing"

Ahh I thought it might be the ones whining and crying because the band evolved.

Silly me Cheesy

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »

Axl evolved, therefore GNR evolved. Pretty simple concept to grasp.

"Shut the fuck up."
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »

I don't understand why people are getting so up in arms over the fact that guns hasn't evovled.

It isn't a bad thing

I hope to hear new music and hope it's from the same line up that wrote CD and that the sound hasn't evolved.  Because I really liked the sound of that line up and only got to hear one album from it

If it a new line up recording /writing new music I hope to hear that soon as well.  And if they want to evolve as artisits, for some reason, and record different music all the power to them.  I just hope they are given to opportunity to do just that.  

Any guns music.  Evolved or Unevolved is still better than the silence they are playing right now
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »

I don't understand why people are getting so up in arms over the fact that guns hasn't evovled.

Haha.
I think the real argument here is that some of you have a hard time giving Axl any credit for anything.

Remember all those rumors in the 1990s about how Axl wanted to go techno?
Yet, here we are and some are basically saying Axl never had anything to do with making the band's sound evolve.

/jarmo

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »

I see a bunch of people who have a hard time giving Axl any credit..... Surprise!
The band changed, the sound didn't evolve, it's not the same band, it's not the same legal entity blah blah blah.

Goal posts shifted. Did I say Axl had no credit? No. I didn't. But, in a band, it's not just one guy's voice leading the way.
The credits are right there in the booklets. It's easy to see Guns N' Roses from 1985-1995 was not one guy directing everyone else. It was five/six guys lending their respective voices to craft a whole. Not one guy saying "this is how this song is going to be played, you will play your solo this way..."

The entire band sans one original member quit. And as such the sound completely changed. Not evolved. An evolution would be from Appetite to Illusions.

Was it that difficult?

I did answer your question. You simply didn't like the answer.

Yes, Coma does. Locomotive, again another Chicago piece, does. Both are prog-metal pieces.

So answer this, who brought in piano to GN'R, a "guitar band"? Why was Dizzy added to the band?

Axl added piano to a band which was already incorporated piano into its music since Lies (see OIAM). If you listen to the end of OIAM - an acoustic/electric song which closes out with some added piano for texture - and then play Civil War, an acoustic/electric song which uses piano for texture - you can see evolution. You can see continuity. I don't see any continuity from anything on past GN'R records that leads to Shackler's Revenge or If The World.

Dizzy was added because Axl liked the piano touches he added to certain songs that weren't written with piano in mind. But, even with the addition of piano, Guns N' Roses remained a riff/guitar based band. There are 4 songs out of 30 on the Illusions in which the piano is a prominent, driving force in the music.

I give Axl as much credit as the liner notes allow me to. He was 1/5th or 1/6th of a band of equals.

All Guns N' Roses' records prior to Chinese have the following commonalities:

-Guitar based sound
-Hard Rock influence/centerpiece of sound
-Vocals/songwriting by Axl
-Lead/rhythm guitar work/songwriting by Slash
-Bass work/songwriting by Duff
-Rhythm Guitar/Songwriting by Izzy
-Production by Mike Clink

CD only has one thing in common with the above factors.
Note too that all GN'R albums except for Chinese Democracy featured lyrical and melodic contributions by members other than Axl, whereas on CD, Axl is solely responsible for all lyrics and melodies.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »

Axl has evolved...  I hope he has, he is around 50 years old and shouldn't be writing songs or singing like he was when he was in his early 20s.  But is Guns N Roses, just Axl?   You cant say the sound of guns has evolved, just because one member that was around from day one has.

I am not hung up on any artist or musician or who plays the songs.  I love the music.  But to say the Guns N Roses has evolved because the music on CD is different than AFD, is wrong.  The music is just that, different.  It changed..

/jarmo

So if Axl was just guns n roses I would say you are right.  If Axl evolves then the whole band guns n roses evolves.  But to me the band guns n roses is way more than just one guy

Also Axl may have evolved.  But his position in the band was not always what it is today.  Up until 1995 he was a equal partner with a couple of other band members after that he has been his own boss.    

I think if Axl had been in total power pack in the 1980s and mid 90s the albums and music would of sounded totally different
for something to evolve it has to be something.  The musicians on CD (other than dizzy/Axl), never wrote a guns album before.   How could they evolve?   Slash evolved into buckethead some how?  It's just a different sound written by different players who are guns n roses.  Directed and produced in a way that Axl wanted.    now of the next album is by the same players and sounds different you can say it's a evolution

If there is different players that sound different on the next album.   Its not a evolution.  It's just a album that sounds different

Especially if for some reason we get a one off reunion album written by Axl duff and slash.   I guess the band would of evolved so much that it's starting right back from where it started

Axl stripped down guns and started something fresh.   It was great I love CD and the love concerts I have been to.  But it was no evolution.   It was a band on its own

Nope, you are creating and inventing parameters that support your mistaken assumption.

GNR has evolved by the dictionary definition of the word.

1)develop gradually, especially from a simple to a more complex form.
"the company has evolved into a major chemical manufacturer"

synonyms:   develop, progress, advance; mature, grow, expand, spread; alter, change, transform, adapt, metamorphose;

"Shut the fuck up."
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2015, 02:07:38 PM »

If the band was called The Axl Rose band.  You would be right. 

But

Since the band is called Guns N Roses.  You are wrong.  The band is way bigger than just one guy
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »

Goal posts shifted. Did I say Axl had no credit? No. I didn't. But, in a band, it's not just one guy's voice leading the way.
The credits are right there in the booklets. It's easy to see Guns N' Roses from 1985-1995 was not one guy directing everyone else. It was five/six guys lending their respective voices to craft a whole. Not one guy saying "this is how this song is going to be played, you will play your solo this way..."

The entire band sans one original member quit. And as such the sound completely changed. Not evolved. An evolution would be from Appetite to Illusions.

Was it that difficult?

Yes, Coma does. Locomotive, again another Chicago piece, does. Both are prog-metal pieces.

Axl added piano to a band which was already incorporated piano into its music since Lies (see OIAM). If you listen to the end of OIAM - an acoustic/electric song which closes out with some added piano for texture - and then play Civil War, an acoustic/electric song which uses piano for texture - you can see evolution. You can see continuity. I don't see any continuity from anything on past GN'R records that leads to Shackler's Revenge or If The World.

Dizzy was added because Axl liked the piano touches he added to certain songs that weren't written with piano in mind. But, even with the addition of piano, Guns N' Roses remained a riff/guitar based band. There are 4 songs out of 30 on the Illusions in which the piano is a prominent, driving force in the music.

I give Axl as much credit as the liner notes allow me to. He was 1/5th or 1/6th of a band of equals.

All Guns N' Roses' records prior to Chinese have the following commonalities:

-Guitar based sound
-Hard Rock influence/centerpiece of sound
-Vocals/songwriting by Axl
-Lead/rhythm guitar work/songwriting by Slash
-Bass work/songwriting by Duff
-Rhythm Guitar/Songwriting by Izzy
-Production by Mike Clink

CD only has one thing in common with the above factors.
Note too that all GN'R albums except for Chinese Democracy featured lyrical and melodic contributions by members other than Axl, whereas on CD, Axl is solely responsible for all lyrics and melodies.

Newsflash: The liner notes on Appetite don't accurately reflect who was actually responsible for the songs.

Adler even got courtesy writing credit and didn't write a thing.

Your clear bias against Axl doesn't change the facts.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:16:29 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »

If the band was called The Axl Rose band.  You would be right. 

But

Since the band is called Guns N Roses.  You are wrong.  The band is way bigger than just one guy

So sorry, But you are Wrong again. Cheesy

Axl was always a main driving influence in the band, he was one of the primary lyric writers and you are overlooking how important and vital his lyrics and melodies were and are.

GNR evolved by the Dictionary definition of the word.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:14:07 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »

Since you REFUSE to answer questions I ask you, I gotta assume something right?

No, but one guy had ideas..... One guy wanted to add a keyboard player, one guy wanted to make big videos that would make an impact and be remembered for decades....

No, I asked you, who brought in Estranged and you asked me who played guitar on it.
It's not really an answer.

Try again.

And the rest?

Axl added piano to a band

Thank you for your answer.

Funny that.
Even most casual rock music fans are able to give him more credit than you...  hihi

The bottom line is, if one of the main songwriters evolves in his craft, then chances are it will rub off on the band's output. The difference in the sound might be bigger if new people are brought in.
This could also be done by using a different producer for example.

/jarmo

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »

Newsflash: The liner notes on Appetite don't accurately reflect who was actually responsible for the songs.

Adler even got courtesy writing credit and didn't write a thing.

Let's go by this very's sites credits then:

Welcome to the Jungle:
Music: Slash, Rose; Lyrics: Rose

It's So Easy:
Music: McKagan/Arkeen; Lyrics: McKagan, Arkeen

Nightrain:
Music: Stradlin, McKagan, Rose, Slash; Lyrics: McKagan, Rose

Out Ta Get Me:
Music: Slash, Rose, Stradlin; Lyrics: Rose, Stradlin

Mr. Brownstone:
Music: Stradlin, Slash; Lyrics: Stradlin

Paradise City: