Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 01:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228465 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 131111 times)
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #640 on: October 08, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »

I disagree there. I think a lot of people would want Steven. I'm not suggesting if Matt or even Frank was on drums they wouldn't see out arenas or even some stadiums but if it's the appetite 5 it would be even more huge.

I've said this exact thing thousands of times.  There are PLENTY of people who value the FULL original lineup and would want Steven there.  Seeing Axl, Slash, Duff, Steven, and Izzy onstage together would sweep the very generation right back into what they loved and supported about the band to begin with.  Otherwise, a reunion isn't going to make much sense.  If you put Axl/Slash onstage together, I'm sure tickets will be sold, but indeed, the true value of Guns N Roses would be the classic lineup -- that's the only way to truly fulfill the potential of the name Guns N Roses, because that's the lineup that the entire world fell in love with.

As far as comments go about Steven's words blowing it -- first of all, Steven's comments, while unnecessary and incendiary at times, are far less inflammatory than other band members (no names needed!) have made in the past, yet no one doubts the ability of those members to reconcile.  Seriously, read virtually ANY comments made by ANY original member and tell me they are worse than Steven's!

Secondly, if Steven were actually on tour with GNR, he'd very likely be happy as a lark and wouldn't be as likely to take jabs or air out laundry.

Obviously, Steven DOES need to stay sober if he wants the other members to tolerate him.  They didn't tolerate him in 1990 when he wasn't sober, and hell, they were all fucked up themselves at the time!  But now, they all need to stay sober to get through the tour and truly give the fans what they deserve.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #641 on: October 08, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »

I think it's odd (and a bit creepy) that some "purists" would rather see GNR risk sinking the entire ship by including Steven, rather than going with a sure thing like Matt, or even Frank.  So...It's more about their "vision" for what GNR should be in their minds, over a better show, more song variety etc.  Again, weird.

I really don?t see how this could possibly be so difficult a concept to grasp.
The title of the thread is "What's your viewpoint on a reunion??
And it?s been suggested that Frank would be a viable. Well, Frank and Slash were never in the same band.
I?m not sure if they even know each other, or if Slash know?s Frank by name. And I don?t care.
So, that?s not really an option if you are going to call it a reunion. Unless you are half-assing it.

Sure, Axl and Slash would constitute as a reunion, but that?s the reunion of Axl and Slash.
A Guns N? Roses reunion insinuates the reunion of?wait for it?.Guns N? Roses!
I understand GN?R technically never went away, but try telling that to the general public.

If they are billing it as a Guns N? Roses reunion, then they are referring to the AFD lineup. Maybe the UYI lineup.
Not a blend of of the several incarnations that failed to make any sort of impact that ensued after the legendary incarnations demise.

So that leaves Steven and Matt.
I?m on record, ad nauseum as stating I?d prefer them both.
I don?t know what Steven could possibly say that could halt a tour. If anything, saying something stupid would probably create more headlines and buzz.
But even if he did something incredibly stupid, you would have Matt. So problem solved.

It has nothing to do with my ?vision? as to what GN?R should be, it?s a plain and simple fact that Steven was the drummer during GN?Rs heyday, so if they bill the tour as a GN?R reunion, then it makes sense that he is involved.

If he?s too fucked up, or incapable of playing, fine, I?m with you. Go with Matt.
But there is no evidence to suggest that is the case.

Let?s turn this around. Make a case that it makes sense to have Frank behind the kit?
How does he belong in an AFD/UYI reunion?

It is not a difficult concept that these are MY VIEWS on a theoretical reunion. Duh!

I don't see Steven as a realistic choice, so I think other arrangements would need to be made.

He hasn't proved to be invaluable, trustworthy, stable or even honest and has lied multiple times over the years about his sobriety.

He didn't write a thing on AFD. Nothing, nada, zilch.

I'm being realistic and sensible- who would insure him? The costs would be astronomical and the theoretical contract would rival War and Peace in length.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #642 on: October 08, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »

I guess since I am not a musician or a song writer... I'm confused about how Steven didn't write any music...or has no "writing credits".

So the drum parts... were just created out of thin air... any drummer who has ever played in a garage could have come up with them?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #643 on: October 08, 2015, 03:03:41 PM »

Nobody is pretending anything here except you- I'm from the show me state..

Show me what Steven wrote on AFD-
Show me where he simply wasn't lucky to have been involved with the other very talented members in the group

EMILY!  We meet again!   hihi

I don't think Axl ever gave Steven credit for what he brought to Guns musically.  Largely unknown to the world, the sound on Appetite for Destruction was largely due to Steven.  His adolescent feel gave it the spark it needed.
-- Slash
  His Book

One reason I left Guns N Roses was losing Steven and Izzy, who were such a huge part of the band's personality.
---Slash,
    His book

Adler's drumming made the band, he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave the songs their feel.  Afterwards, nothing worked.
---Izzy Stradlin
     Guitar World, November 1992

[Guns N Roses] already went wrong when original drummer Steven Adler was kicked out of the band.  Because Steven was gone, Izzy also [eventually] left. But we had a whole tour planned so we kept the whole thing going.  When it was time to record a new album, though, we missed those guys a lot. Look, nothing was right about our little band, but we were very successful.  Without Steven and Izzy, though, it really turned into Axl's trip.
--Slash,
   Aloha magazine, June 8, 2004

I couldn't have had a better writing partner.
--- Duff, his book, speaking of Steven

What made Steven hard to replace was his sense of groove.
-- Duff, his book

So there you have it Emily.  Slash, Duff, and Izzy were actually there working with Steven during that era.  No better "proof" than that to showcase Steven's importance.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:18:20 PM by Bridge » Logged
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #644 on: October 08, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »

It's amazing... Steven was "lucky" to be part of the group...

I've read countless times over the years how Matt was "the luckiest GNR drummer " of em all...

But John Bon.... uhhhh i mean Frank Ferrer and Josh Freese are really amazing drummers !!!!!!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #645 on: October 08, 2015, 03:15:07 PM »

Why do you need to put down Josh and Frank in order to discredit a point made about Steven and/or Matt?

I guess since I am not a musician or a song writer... I'm confused about how Steven didn't write any music...or has no "writing credits".

So the drum parts... were just created out of thin air... any drummer who has ever played in a garage could have come up with them?

Well do you think Duff got writing credits for every bass part he came up with? Or Izzy? Or Slash? Or..... Or....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #646 on: October 08, 2015, 03:18:13 PM »

Why do you need to put down Josh and Frank in order to discredit a point made about Steven and/or Matt?

Well do you think Duff got writing credits for every bass part he came up with? Or Izzy? Or Slash? Or..... Or....

/jarmo

I'm not putting them down in any way... they by all means could be twice the drummer the other guys are...

But this is Guns N Roses right? Which pair contributed to the vast majority of the songs?

I just can't understand knocking Steven's contributions to the music in any way... no matter how you feel about his troubled existence. You think it's necessary to keep him away for fear of ruining something... OK.. fine... but give the man credit where it's due... Slash and Izzy very clearly did.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:22:16 PM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #647 on: October 08, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »

With all due respect to steven he played on only afd he didnt play on UYI so if a reunion did happen are you only playing AFD songs and Civil War and thats it. Honestly i would rather have either Frank as he can play all albums then id go matt as he has handled AFD and UYI albums Steven would be last because i don't know how well he can play anything outside of AFD.
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #648 on: October 08, 2015, 03:28:14 PM »

If Axl thinks Dizzy is needed who are you to say he isn't?

I'm the guy who was asked that question, that's who.  D-generation X asked if people thought Dizzy should be included and several of us (including myself) answered.

Pretty simple.

If you can't understand the forums are for asking and answering questions, then kindly stay off them. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:31:10 PM by Bridge » Logged
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #649 on: October 08, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »

Nobody is pretending anything here except you- I'm from the show me state..

Show me what Steven wrote on AFD-
Show me where he simply wasn't lucky to have been involved with the other very talented members in the group

EMILY!  We meet again!   hihi

I don't think Axl ever gave Steven credit for what he brought to Guns musically.  Largely unknown to the world, the sound on Appetite for Destruction was largely due to Steven.  His adolescent feel gave it the spark it needed.
-- Slash
  His Book

One reason I left Guns N Roses was losing Steven and Izzy, who were such a huge part of the band's personality.
---Slash,
    His book

Adler's drumming made the band, he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave the songs their feel.  Afterwards, nothing worked.
---Izzy Stradlin
     Guitar World, November 1992

[Guns N Roses] already went wrong when original drummer Steven Adler was kicked out of the band.  Because Steven was gone, Izzy also [eventually] left. But we had a whole tour planned so we kept the whole thing going.  When it was time to record a new album, though, we missed those guys a lot. Look, nothing was right about our little band, but we were very successful.  Without Steven and Izzy, though, it really turned into Axl's trip.
--Slash,
   Aloha magazine, June 8, 2004

I couldn't have had a better writing partner.
--- Duff, his book, speaking of Steven

What made Steven hard to replace was his sense of groove.
-- Duff, his book

So there you have it Emily.  Slash, Duff, and Izzy were actually there working with Steven during that era.  No better "proof" than that to showcase Steven's importance.

Super! Have seen these quotes many times before.

Tell me please, why these people making these quotes chose not to use him exclusively in their projects since GNR?

Tell me why he is avoided by these members.

Surely if he is as valuable, talented and irreplaceable as all that then his habitual lies, his addictions and his passive aggressive attacks would easily be overlooked.

Here are some fun quotes on Steven by Axl, since you seem to like quotes Cheesy

Steven didn't leave. Steven was fired. We gave him every ultimatum, we tried working with other drummers, we had Steven sign a contract saying that if he went back to drugs he was out. He couldn't leave his drugs...and other things had happened involved with Steven that Steven is basically someone I used to know. It makes me feel bad, but there's other things beside the band that he was involved in with his drugs that's been very dangerous and scary and I want nothing to do with him [Famous Last Words, MTV, 1990]

The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that l was the dictator behind it. The truth is, l probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band, because l wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's straight. Most of the time he isn't. (...) At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what l felt l had to do. In the long run l paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15 percent of my publishing off of Appetite for Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick!(...) I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing we can do at this point. We took him to rehabs, we threatened his drug dealers, we helped him when he slashed his wrists. I even forgave him after he nearly killed my wife. I had to spend a night with her in an intensive-care unit because her heart had stopped thanks to Steven. She was hysterical, and he shot her up with a speedball. She had never done jack shit as far as drugs go, and he shoots her up with a mixture of heroin and cocaine? I kept myself from doing anything to him. I kept the man from being killed by members of her family. I saved him from having to go to court, because her mother wanted him held responsible for his actions. And the sonofabitch turns on me? I mean, yeah, I'm a difficult person to deal with, and I'm a pain in the ass to understand, and I've had my share of problems, but Steven benefited greatly from his involvement with me - more than I did from knowing him. Steven had a lot of fans, but he was a real pain in the ass. I need to keep him in my life for you? F?!k you! ["I, Axl" Del James, RIP Magazine - 1992]

I do wish Steven the best and in my heart hope that he finds some peace and security. As far as direct contact no. It unfortunately gets too messy too quick. In Steven's mind I'm the one who holds the keys and power over his happiness so I'm the bad guy pretty quickly [mygnrforum.com, December 12, 2008]

Talking about working with former members: Steven brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath [Axl interview by Del James, spinner.com, 2009]

With 'Appetite,' for me the parts, playing, etc., timing flaws, whatever, are perfect, and as a moment in time for me, the whole record is. That said, the sound of the drums, which at the time in our niche of the woods was a bit of a bold statement and a somewhat successful effort to change things from the current flow at the time, and so may have been necessary but for me sound the most dated of anything there sound-wise (...) The public has no idea what went into Steven's parts and the notion of getting through songs in rehearsal if ever, with no exaggeration, was unfortunately a nightmare that neither I or Izzy could take, and eventually the others as well, though they lasted longer for other reasons [Axl interview by Del James, spinner.com, 2009]

I wish Steven the best; unfortunately Steven's given us the spoiler for that [Del James interview with Axl, February 2009]

Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned [HOF Press Release, April 2011]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:38:02 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #650 on: October 08, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »

If Axl thinks Dizzy is needed who are you to say he isn't?

I'm the guy who was asked that question, that's who.  D-generation X asked if people thought Dizzy should be included and several of us (including myself) answered.

Pretty simple.

If you can't understand the forums are for asking and answering questions, then kindly stay off them. 

If you cant accept a differing point of view, you have serious issues.

LOL at you trying to tell others to stay off forums. hihi

"Shut the fuck up."
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #651 on: October 08, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »

/jarmo

I'm not putting them down in any way... they by all means could be twice the drummer the other guys are...

But this is Guns N Roses right? Which pair contributed to the vast majority of the songs?

I just can't understand knocking Steven's contributions to the music in any way... no matter how you feel about his troubled existence. You think it's necessary to keep him away for fear of ruining something... OK.. fine... but give the man credit where it's due... Slash and Izzy very clearly did.

Yeah, I'm not in the "devaluing Steven's contributions" camp...he was very important to the fabric of AFD and Guns, and not just some lucky guy with drum sticks on the strip.  It sounds like Axl doesn't give Steven that much credit, which I'm guessing is why some people here don't either.

And yes, I would like to see him as part of a reunion.  I just understand why the rest wouldn't include him, and, IMO, not having him doesn't devalue any reunion, and doesn't change the size of venues.  To me, a reunion with Axl, Slash, and Matt/Brain/Frank books the same places as the AFD 5.  A reunion with Axl, Robin, and Steven...not so much.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #652 on: October 08, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »

/jarmo

But why did they choose not to use him on their later individual projects if he were so invaluable and irreplaceable?

There must be a reason for that.  smoking

"Shut the fuck up."
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #653 on: October 08, 2015, 03:47:17 PM »

YAWN.

Emily, it never ends with you, does it?  Tongue

I never denied Steven was on drugs.  You did deny that Steven was valuable to GNR.  You got corrected.  I didn't.

So I can easily assume YOU'RE seeing a psychiatrist then?   Tongue

LOL at you trying to tell others to stay off forums.

I know, I know, I'm stealing your role as pseudo-moderator, aren't I?

It sounds like Axl doesn't give Steven that much credit, which I'm guessing is why some people here don't either.

Spot on.  Despite the fact that Slash, Izzy, and Duff, have said positive things about Steven's contributions to GNR for years, it is largely ignored here.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:50:27 PM by Bridge » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #654 on: October 08, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

And I can't understand supposed GN'R fans doing that same thing to Axl and GN'R on a weekly basis. Go figure.

Anyway, it's about personal preferences.
Some don't think drummers are as important as other band members. Especially when said drummer got himself fired and has said all kinds of things since.

Despite the fact that Slash, Izzy, and Duff, have said positive things about Steven's contributions to GNR for years, it is largely ignored here.

How is it ignored?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #655 on: October 08, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »

YAWN.

I never denied Steven was on drugs.  You did deny that Steven was valuable to GNR.  You got corrected.  I didn't.

It sounds like Axl doesn't give Steven that much credit, which I'm guessing is why some people here don't either.

Spot on.  Despite the fact that Slash, Izzy, and Duff, have said positive things about Steven's contributions to GNR for years, it is largely ignored here.

Petty, grasping attempted personal attacks aren't impressive at all.  hihi

I provided a wall of quotes too, did you bother to read them?

Nobody "got corrected" good luck perpetuating that fantasy.

If Steven were that important and irreplaceable to Slash, Duff and/or Izzy then why, pray tell didn't they use him exclusively in their projects post- GNR?

Can you answer this?

Care to re-read this quote directly from Axl in 2009? I think you missed it.

It clearly states Steven didnt write one "goddamn note" Wink

"The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that l was the dictator behind it. The truth is, l probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band, because l wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's straight. Most of the time he isn't. (...) At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what l felt l had to do. In the long run l paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15 percent of my publishing off of Appetite for Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick!(...) I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing we can do at this point."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:00:16 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #656 on: October 08, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »

Yeah, AXL stated that.  Slash strongly refuted that entire story in his book -- part of which I just quoted above!  You really DON'T read anything do you?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:07:37 PM by Bridge » Logged
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #657 on: October 08, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »

And I can't understand supposed GN'R fans doing that same thing to Axl and GN'R on a weekly basis. Go figure.

Anyway, it's about personal preferences.
Some don't think drummers are as important as other band members. Especially when said drummer got himself fired and has said all kinds of things since.

Despite the fact that Slash, Izzy, and Duff, have said positive things about Steven's contributions to GNR for years, it is largely ignored here.

How is it ignored?

/jarmo

What not give Axl the credit he is due?

I'm not in that camp...

He's the greatest frontman of all time... hands down. 

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
matty29
Headliner

« Reply #658 on: October 08, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »

YAWN.

If Steven were that important and irreplaceable to Slash, Duff and/or Izzy then why, pray tell didn't they use him exclusively in their projects post- GNR?

Can you answer this?

"The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that l was the dictator behind it. The truth is, l probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band, because l wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's straight. Most of the time he isn't. (...) At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what l felt l had to do. In the long run l paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15 percent of my publishing off of Appetite for Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick!(...) I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing we can do at this point."

Good grief... Petty, perpetuating a fantasy...?  There are plenty of quotes from plenty of years that say plenty of different things.  The facts as far as I can tell are that Steven played drums on AFD.  AFD was successful, other members, at certain times, felt that his sound and feel was unique and worked on that record.  issues arose, the band moved on and got another drummer and made a successful double record.  Can we agree on that much?  It always seems so personal here and the convo goes nowhere. 

If that is agreeable, the statement below is purely my opinion and i present it for your consideration.  I mean no disrespect. 

I think at this point, if there was to be a reunion, it probably wouldn't make sense to make Steven your full time drummer.  Its not 1987 and his.. er... fastball has deteriorated over the years.  It would be cool to see him play some songs etc but if classic lineup ever wanted to tour, release and album, whatever, probably wouldn't be the smartest move to rely on him.  S.A has quite possible shot himself in the foot every single time he had a chance.  People who are born a circle rarely die a square.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #659 on: October 08, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »

YAWN.

Can you answer this?

Good grief... Petty, perpetuating a fantasy...?  There are plenty of quotes from plenty of years that say plenty of different things.  The facts as far as I can tell are that Steven played drums on AFD.  AFD was successful, other members, at certain times, felt that his sound and feel was unique and worked on that record.  issues arose, the band moved on and got another drummer and made a successful double record.  Can we agree on that much?  It always seems so personal here and the convo goes nowhere. 

If that is agreeable, the statement below is purely my opinion and i present it for your consideration.  I mean no disrespect. 

I think at this point, if there was to be a reunion, it probably wouldn't make sense to make Steven your full time drummer.  Its not 1987 and his.. er... fastball has deteriorated over the years.  It would be cool to see him play some songs etc but if classic lineup ever wanted to tour, release and album, whatever, probably wouldn't be the smartest move to rely on him.  S.A has quite possible shot himself in the foot every single time he had a chance.  People who are born a circle rarely die a square.

Well said...that might be the best 5th post ever.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: