Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 11:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228462 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 131068 times)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #620 on: October 08, 2015, 01:20:44 PM »

I don't see where it makes any sense whatsoever to even consider Steven would be capable of fufilling the position, staying sober on tour, and keeping his idiot mouth shut.

It would involve a huge risk, and would be a ridiculous decision business wise when there are other more stable and capable choices.

His recent interview did nothing to promote him as a realistic choice and his comments about harming himself or others were unacceptable on every level.

It makes a lot of sense ?if" you are promoting a reunion tour, because Steven is 1/5, 1/6 of of said reunion.
Being sober typically isn?t a requirement in rock n? roll(though yes, on a human level, it would be nice if he could maintain his sobriety).
Freedom of speech allows him to say what he wants. I don?t think speaking will hinder his performance.

Not really a risk at all in this hypothetical, as Matt would be there to fill in should he slip up.

If Steven were that important and his supposed talents were that original and that irreplaceable why hasn't he been more utilized throughout the years? Why wasn't he tapped for VR? Why haven't the old members used him more in various projects and why is he not in demand?

I repeat, his recent interview where he insinuated he would harm himself, or others should a reunion take place was unacceptable and manipulative.

It clearly shows he isn't dealing with a full, or balanced deck- not sure he didn't sustain some mental damage with all those many years of addiction.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #621 on: October 08, 2015, 01:23:52 PM »

I don't see where it makes any sense whatsoever to even consider Steven would be capable of fufilling the position, staying sober on tour, and keeping his idiot mouth shut.

It would involve a huge risk, and would be a ridiculous decision business wise when there are other more stable and capable choices.

His recent interview did nothing to promote him as a realistic choice and his comments about harming himself or others were unacceptable on every level.

No argument there.  He certainly hasn't helped his chances with his latest comments.

Well the argument is.. do you want to see the Appetite band play or not? If he's not there... then it's not complete.. for some.

We all agree that he is borderline insane.

I will enjoy any lineup of GNR- I personally don't think it makes a great deal of sense to take such a risk with an obvious problematic and unstable former member.

Apparently nor do other former members or they would have sought out his contributions regardless of his issues.

"Shut the fuck up."
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #622 on: October 08, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »

No argument there.  He certainly hasn't helped his chances with his latest comments.

Well the argument is.. do you want to see the Appetite band play or not? If he's not there... then it's not complete.. for some.

I will enjoy any lineup of GNR- I personally don't think it makes a great deal of sense to take such a risk with an obvious problematic and unstable former member.

Apparently nor do other former members or they would have sought out his contributions regardless of his issues.

Well his issues are WHY he hasn't been approached by people to contribute to their later projects... that doesn't take away his contribution to the GNR sound. Especially somebody like Duff, he doesn't want to be around the drinking and drug issues that he has.

Look... we all get it... he's not reliable and could cause several headaches...

But this is Guns N Roses... par for the course.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #623 on: October 08, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »

Well his issues are WHY he hasn't been approached by people to contribute to their later projects... that doesn't take away his contribution to the GNR sound. Especially somebody like Duff, he doesn't want to be around the drinking and drug issues that he has.

Just for fun- would you risk it taking him on tour?

Do you think he is honestly capable of touring without relapsing or causing a shitstorm with his statements?

I think you have to weigh any benefits against the obvious risks.

"Shut the fuck up."
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #624 on: October 08, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »

Do you think he is honestly capable of touring without relapsing or causing a shitstorm with his statements?

I would give him a chance... god knows EVERYBODY in that band has had their various issues.. and I'd have Matt there too.. if Steven passes out and doesn't show up... Matt is there anyway.

As far as his statements...what could he possibly say that's so awful if hes on tour with them? he'd be a pig n shit...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #625 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »

I got to think it's a small minority that would consider it a true reunion only if the "original" 5 were there.  IMO, just Axl and Slash would be enough, as they are the two iconic figures from the band's past.  The others, while obviously important to Guns and its legacy, are secondary to them.   
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #626 on: October 08, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »

It makes a lot of sense ?if" you are promoting a reunion tour, because Steven is 1/5, 1/6 of of said reunion.
Being sober typically isn?t a requirement in rock n? roll(though yes, on a human level, it would be nice if he could maintain his sobriety).
Freedom of speech allows him to say what he wants. I don?t think speaking will hinder his performance.

Not really a risk at all in this hypothetical, as Matt would be there to fill in should he slip up.

If Steven were that important and his supposed talents were that original and that irreplaceable why hasn't he been more utilized throughout the years? Why wasn't he tapped for VR? Why haven't the old members used him more in various projects and why is he not in demand?

I repeat, his recent interview where he insinuated he would harm himself, or others should a reunion take place was unacceptable and manipulative.

It clearly shows he isn't dealing with a full, or balanced deck- not sure he didn't sustain some mental damage with all those many years of addiction.

Well clearly he has battled addiction the majority of his life.
Just because he was perfect for Guns doesn?t mean he?s perfect for every band. Maybe he was more sought after than we know?
Is Izzy in demand? He?s certainly well respected. I don?t think many bands would scoff at having a solid songwriter of his caliber on their side, yet I don?t see many guest appearances by Izzy. I don?t see Axl doing much of anything, but not sure that means he isn?t in demand.

Pretty sure Steven's recent interview wasn?t meant to be taken seriously. So he?s a little crazy. Maybe even a lot.
Love him or hate him, he?s authentic.

Jaeball summed it up. If you want to see the AFD/Lies lineup, it?s not complete without Steven.
If your?e cool with fill ins, and I guess we should all be used to them by now as Guns fans, than yes, Bobby Whatshisface would make for an excellent replacement.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #627 on: October 08, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »

Just because he was perfect for Guns doesn?t mean he?s perfect for every band. Maybe he was more sought after than we know?
Is Izzy in demand? He?s certainly well respected. I don?t think many bands would scoff at having a solid songwriter of his caliber on their side, yet I don?t see many guest appearances by Izzy. I don?t see Axl doing much of anything, but not sure that means he isn?t in demand.

Pretty sure Steven's recent interview wasn?t meant to be taken seriously. So he?s a little crazy. Maybe even a lot.

Jaeball summed it up. If you want to see the AFD/Lies lineup, it?s not complete without Steven.
If your?e cool with fill ins, and I guess we should all be used to them by now as Guns fans, than yes, Bobby Whatshisface would make for an excellent replacement.

I don't think you can seriously compare Axl and Izzy to Steven in any imaginable way. It is laughable.

Steven wrote nothing for GNR, ever- his courtesy writing credits are just that- a courtesy, and he sued the band not once, but twice.

If you want to delve into some sort of fan fiction where Steven is a sought after drummer, I wont participate in those fantasies.

If his talents were that irreplaceable or valuable, not only the former members would be clamouring to work with him, despite his numerous issues, but so would other bands and musicians.

I can't see that he is a realistic choice, considering the situation as a whole.

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #628 on: October 08, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »

I think trying to claim that swapping out Steven for Matt is analogous to Axl torpedoing the entire band and replacing them all (some slots, several times over) is quite the stretch.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #629 on: October 08, 2015, 02:12:15 PM »

I would give him a chance... god knows EVERYBODY in that band has had their various issues.. and I'd have Matt there too.. if Steven passes out and doesn't show up... Matt is there anyway.

As far as his statements...what could he possibly say that's so awful if hes on tour with them? he'd be a pig n shit...

I don't think from a realistic and logical viewpoint he deserves that chance.

I think the fans clamoring for him are blinded by sentimentality, nostalgia and probably haven't had first hand experience dealing with the lies, and issues of a chronic addict.

His recent interview was just a continuation of his manipulative victimization, passive aggressive attacks, and endless claims of being sober that have been repeated ad infinitum over the years.

Just my opinion.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #630 on: October 08, 2015, 02:15:55 PM »

I think trying to claim that swapping out Steven for Matt is analogous to Axl torpedoing the entire band and replacing them all (some slots, several times over) is quite the stretch.

Agreed- (shock!)

I cannot envision any scenario where Steven would be a realistic choice, if he were in demand or his talents outweighed his liabilities he would have been playing with everyone over the many years.

There is a reason, or reasonS people avoid him like the plague.

"Shut the fuck up."
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #631 on: October 08, 2015, 02:21:46 PM »

I think it's odd (and a bit creepy) that some "purists" would rather see GNR risk sinking the entire ship by including Steven, rather than going with a sure thing like Matt, or even Frank.  So...It's more about their "vision" for what GNR should be in their minds, over a better show, more song variety etc.  Again, weird.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #632 on: October 08, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »

I don't think you can seriously compare Axl and Izzy to Steven in any imaginable way. It is laughable.

Steven wrote nothing for GNR, ever- his courtesy writing credits are just that- a courtesy, and he sued the band not once, but twice.

If you want to delve into some sort of fan fiction where Steven is a sought after drummer, I wont participate in those fantasies.

If his talents were that irreplaceable or valuable, not only the former members would be clamouring to work with him, despite his numerous issues, but so would other bands and musicians.

I can't see that he is a realistic choice, considering the situation as a whole.

I?ve heard the songs that Guns N? Roses created with Steven?s involvement (they are all over the radio), and I?ve heard the songs that Guns N? Roses created without Steven?s involvement (they are not all over the radio).

It?s not a pissing contest. I?m not trying to state Steven?s importance is greater than Izzy or Axl's.
Guns N? Roses is a band, and once upon a time, they acted like one. They all made their contributions.
It?s pretty simple.

You can pretend you were in the room.
You can pretend you know who added what, and devalue the contributions of the members you?ve chosen you don?t respect, and you can exaggerate the contributions of those you?ve decided to back.
You can ignore people in the know like Izzy, who stated the band was never the same after Steven was sacked.
You can do all of this until your heart is content. But it won?t change the fact that Steven had a hand in the creation of Guns N? Roses most successful albums. And after he left, they essentially ceased to exist from a creative standpoint.
Sorum no doubt made his contributions, but by no fault of his own, happened to be brought in at a time where the foundation of the Illusions records had already been laid.
They remained a powerhouse live, but were creatively handicapped due in part by Steven and Izzy?s departures.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #633 on: October 08, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »

I think it's odd (and a bit creepy) that some "purists" would rather see GNR risk sinking the entire ship by including Steven, rather than going with a sure thing like Matt, or even Frank.  So...It's more about their "vision" for what GNR should be in their minds, over a better show, more song variety etc.  Again, weird.

Agree.  Any reunion is going to be chaotic...because it's Guns n Roses.  Of course it will be.  So, knowing that, you got to look at how you can best cut the fat, or trim the chaos, if you will, while still maintaining the integrity of a reunion.  The obvious choice is to not have Steven.  Sorry, but the drummer is the least important part of this band.  Thus, you maintain the reunion integrity with Slash and Matt (or Brain or Frank) much better than say, Robin and Steven.

It's not about drumming chops.  Steven can still play.  I saw a clip of him playing Rocket Queen in a studio (it was both impressive and sad at the same time).  Dude can still stick it.  The problem is he brings a shit ton of crazy.  He's too risky.  There will already be enough drama to fill a tour bus.  Steven adds gas to the fire.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #634 on: October 08, 2015, 02:41:30 PM »

Do all of you so militantly devoted to this being an AFD line-up affair also think Dizzy should not be involved?

I'd say no.  Almost all GNR songs never needed keyboards, either the ones Dizzy added live for the AFD songs, or the mostly superfluous keyboards found on the UYI songs.  Only a few songs ever needed keyboards/piano, and Axl can play those, or they can have a tech play them.  No need for a complete member of the band to serve as strictly a keyboard player.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #635 on: October 08, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »

IF a reunion ever happened, and IF Steven were left out...it would be the end of Steven. He has made passive threats of his demise, and "joked" about killing band members...it is too easy to brush that off as rediculous Steven being Steven, until bad shit happens and Captain Hindsight goes "he warned us".

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #636 on: October 08, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »

I?ve heard the songs that Guns N? Roses created with Steven?s involvement (they are all over the radio), and I?ve heard the songs that Guns N? Roses created without Steven?s involvement (they are not all over the radio).

It?s not a pissing contest. I?m not trying to state Steven?s importance is greater than Izzy or Axl's.
Guns N? Roses is a band, and once upon a time, they acted like one. They all made their contributions.
It?s pretty simple.

You can pretend you were in the room.
You can pretend you know who added what, and devalue the contributions of the members you?ve chosen you don?t respect, and you can exaggerate the contributions of those you?ve decided to back.
You can ignore people in the know like Izzy, who stated the band was never the same after Steven was sacked.
You can do all of this until your heart is content. But it won?t change the fact that Steven had a hand in the creation of Guns N? Roses most successful albums. And after he left, they essentially ceased to exist from a creative standpoint.
Sorum no doubt made his contributions, but by no fault of his own, happened to be brought in at a time where the foundation of the Illusions records had already been laid.
They remained a powerhouse live, but were creatively handicapped due in part by Steven and Izzy?s departures.

Nobody is pretending anything here except you- I'm from the show me state..

Show me what Steven wrote on AFD-
Show me where he simply wasn't lucky to have been involved with the other very talented members in the group-
Show me where he is so valuable and irreplaceable that no reunion would be complete without him.
Show me where anybody has been willing to overlook his multiple issues because his talents were so valuable and irreplaceable.

Your fanboy fantasies, sentimentality, and nostalgia issues are obviously clouding and coloring your vision.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #637 on: October 08, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »

Do all of you so militantly devoted to this being an AFD line-up affair also think Dizzy should not be involved?

I'd say no.  Almost all GNR songs never needed keyboards, either the ones Dizzy added live for the AFD songs, or the mostly superfluous keyboards found on the UYI songs.  Only a few songs ever needed keyboards/piano, and Axl can play those, or they can have a tech play them.  No need for a complete member of the band to serve as strictly a keyboard player.

If Axl thinks Dizzy is needed who are you to say he isn't?

"Shut the fuck up."
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #638 on: October 08, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »

I really don?t see how this could possibly be so difficult a concept to grasp.
The title of the thread is "What's your viewpoint on a reunion??
And it?s been suggested that Frank would be a viable. Well, Frank and Slash were never in the same band.
I?m not sure if they even know each other, or if Slash know?s Frank by name. And I don?t care.
So, that?s not really an option if you are going to call it a reunion. Unless you are half-assing it.

Sure, Axl and Slash would constitute as a reunion, but that?s the reunion of Axl and Slash.
A Guns N? Roses reunion insinuates the reunion of?wait for it?.Guns N? Roses!
I understand GN?R technically never went away, but try telling that to the general public.

If they are billing it as a Guns N? Roses reunion, then they are referring to the AFD lineup. Maybe the UYI lineup.
Not a blend of of the several incarnations that failed to make any sort of impact that ensued after the legendary incarnations demise.

So that leaves Steven and Matt.
I?m on record, ad nauseum as stating I?d prefer them both.
I don?t know what Steven could possibly say that could halt a tour. If anything, saying something stupid would probably create more headlines and buzz.
But even if he did something incredibly stupid, you would have Matt. So problem solved.

It has nothing to do with my ?vision? as to what GN?R should be, it?s a plain and simple fact that Steven was the drummer during GN?Rs heyday, so if they bill the tour as a GN?R reunion, then it makes sense that he is involved.

If he?s too fucked up, or incapable of playing, fine, I?m with you. Go with Matt.
But there is no evidence to suggest that is the case.

Let?s turn this around. Make a case that it makes sense to have Frank behind the kit?
How does he belong in an AFD/UYI reunion?

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #639 on: October 08, 2015, 02:51:56 PM »

IF a reunion ever happened, and IF Steven were left out...it would be the end of Steven. He has made passive threats of his demise, and "joked" about killing band members...it is too easy to brush that off as rediculous Steven being Steven, until bad shit happens and Captain Hindsight goes "he warned us".

Is that a reason to include him though, and have him jeapordize the entire theoretical endeavor?

If he is truly that unstable and willing to harm himself he needs to be hospitalized or under medical supervision.

"Shut the fuck up."
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: