Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 03:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228460 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 130889 times)
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #500 on: September 30, 2015, 05:13:25 AM »

i know we all are, but i couldnt be more curious to see how this turns out. it is overwhelmingly clear what the majority of people want to happen. if axl didnt reunite it would be his will against the will of millions.. then again, that wouldnt be anything new. it takes some serious balls to defy the collective will of millions. all the flack he gets for it... still, he doesnt seem to care. pretty badass in a way. also very frustrating for those that want his will to bend. i wonder how all this affects him if at all?

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #501 on: September 30, 2015, 05:56:36 AM »

Ive said this for years, and Ill keep saying it..... although I like the new bandmembers for the most part, none of them other than Tommy, can create to the level of Axl. Axl is an undisputed top 5 frontman of all time, no guitar player in the band was an original force to be reckoned with. Slash and Axl's sound goes together like peanut butter and Chocolate. It's undeniable when you listen to the albums how well they compliment each other, melodically emotionally and creatively.

That doesn't grow on trees. You have a top 5 frontman and guitar player in the same band... It is impossible to replicate.

20 years, Im sure neither are the same guy that they were when the messy divorce happened. A sober Slash, I guarantee would be much easier for Axl to work with. The fame, fortune and the machine, tore it apart... It can be repaired. I don't know what exactly happened that is not repairable.

Finally someone who has got a point
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #502 on: September 30, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »

It appeared Merck often played both sides against each other and always protected himself.

But he is not why Bucket left.  Bucket left because he saw he was on a rudderless ship.

Which may be true for BBF, DJ and Robin. If you're an artist and want your voice to be heard I can understand wanting to leave GNR.
 however, those who stay shouldn't be criticized, Tommy released a couple of Solo albums and probably took GnR for what it is worth with no expectations, which makes it all the more strange if he is actually gone.

And is it me, or was it odd that he referred to GNR as ''the gig'' ? Is calling it a gig kind of derogatory, or am I seeing things that arent there? Like Emily ?  Grin Kiss

I guarantee you I am seeing nothing that isn't there, so name check somebody else to bolster your popularity.

some seem upset by facts, truth and reality- that is their problem not mine.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:43:00 AM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #503 on: September 30, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »

Ive said this for years, and Ill keep saying it..... although I like the new bandmembers for the most part, none of them other than Tommy, can create to the level of Axl. Axl is an undisputed top 5 frontman of all time, no guitar player in the band was an original force to be reckoned with. Slash and Axl's sound goes together like peanut butter and Chocolate. It's undeniable when you listen to the albums how well they compliment each other, melodically emotionally and creatively.

That doesn't grow on trees. You have a top 5 frontman and guitar player in the same band... It is impossible to replicate.

20 years, Im sure neither are the same guy that they were when the messy divorce happened. A sober Slash, I guarantee would be much easier for Axl to work with. The fame, fortune and the machine, tore it apart... It can be repaired. I don't know what exactly happened that is not repairable.

GREAT post here.

I imagine you are speaking for just about every one of us.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #504 on: September 30, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »

It appeared Merck often played both sides against each other and always protected himself.

But he is not why Bucket left.  Bucket left because he saw he was on a rudderless ship.

Which may be true for BBF, DJ and Robin. If you're an artist and want your voice to be heard I can understand wanting to leave GNR.
 however, those who stay shouldn't be criticized, Tommy released a couple of Solo albums and probably took GnR for what it is worth with no expectations, which makes it all the more strange if he is actually gone.

And is it me, or was it odd that he referred to GNR as ''the gig'' ? Is calling it a gig kind of derogatory, or am I seeing things that arent there? Like Emily ?  Grin Kiss

I guarantee you I am seeing nothing that isn't there, so name check somebody else to bolster your popularity.

Actually I got you confused with another GIrl who posts here. My bad.  hihi

And I dont care about popularity. That's for teenagers, Im an old fart.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #505 on: September 30, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »

Actually I got you confused with another GIrl who posts here. My bad.  hihi

And I dont care about popularity. That's for teenagers, Im an old fart.

Me too- didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.  peace

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #506 on: September 30, 2015, 03:58:34 PM »

grow on trees. You have a top 5 frontman and guitar player in the same band... It is impossible to replicate.

Definitely agree there.  Axl/Slash were better than Mick/Keith ever were, and I'll stand behind that 100%.

A sober Slash, I guarantee would be much easier for Axl to work with.

Aha, but is AXL now the kind of personality that is much easier for SLASH to work with?

Everything is a two way street.  Slash doesn't need Axl's past bullshit at this point in his life any more than Axl needs Slash's drug problems.  Slash high-tailed it out of Velvet Revolver when Scott Weiland started to become afflicted with the frontman disease, and he went right to recording/touring on his own ever since.  The Slash solo band = No problems, no bullshit, no headaches.
Manek
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #507 on: September 30, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »

Except Slash's solo band is a fine band but not great, perhaps these guys would like to do something great again
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #508 on: September 30, 2015, 04:13:33 PM »

Except Slash's solo band is a fine band but not great, perhaps these guys would like to do something great again

At Slash's age, "great" means as few headaches as possible.  He's had his time in the spotlight.  He's made his money.  He's a father of two young boys.  Selling millions of records isn't a priority to him as it was 25 years earlier.

Someone in that position doesn't need the horse shit.  That happens when you get older.  You don't get excited by the same things you did when you were 22.  You're much, much more interested in stability and serenity than someone else's definition of success.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:15:09 PM by Bridge » Logged
Manek
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #509 on: September 30, 2015, 04:19:58 PM »

At Slash's age, "great" means as few headaches as possible.  He's had his time in the spotlight.  He's made his money.  He's a father of two young boys.  Selling millions of records isn't a priority to him as it was 25 years earlier.

Someone in that position doesn't need the horse shit.  That happens when you get older.  You don't get excited by the same things you did when you were 22.  You're much, much more interested in stability and serenity than someone else's definition of success.
Perhaps, you really think that's Slash? I don't.
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #510 on: September 30, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »

Really?  You think Slash's main priorities right now are throwing himself back into the same completely unstable situation he was in decades ago, that he's worked so hard to avoid ever since?  Let's analyze this....

SLASH QUIT GUNS N ROSES -- Why?  Unstable, miserable situation.  He said that in his book among many other places.  He could've stayed if what GNR offered was what he wanted.  But he didn't.  He quit and never looked back.

SLASH ABANDONED VELVET REVOLVER -- Why?  Not putting up with the mercurial instability that Scott Weiland was bringing to the stable.  Slash has also made this public.  Again, VR was doing much better than Slash has done as a solo artist, but Slash was fine was leaving that situation.

Slash CHOSE instead to start his own solo band.  In doing so, he chose to make less money, and sell less records.  Why do you think this was?  Because he missed all the excessive turmoil and discord from his past years?  Really?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:26:57 PM by Bridge » Logged
Manek
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #511 on: September 30, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »

Really?  You think Slash's main priorities right now are throwing himself back into the same completely unstable situation he was in decades ago, that he's worked so hard to avoid ever since?  Let's analyze this....

SLASH QUIT GUNS N ROSES -- Why?  Unstable, miserable situation.  He said that in his book among many other places.  He could've stayed if what GNR offered was what he wanted.  But he didn't.  He quit and never looked back.

SLASH ABANDONED VELVET REVOLVER -- Why?  Not putting up with the mercurial instability that Scott Weiland was bringing to the stable.  Slash has also made this public.  Again, VR was doing much better than Slash has done as a solo artist, but Slash was fine was leaving that situation.

Slash CHOSE instead to start his own solo band.  In doing so, he chose to make less money, and sell less records.  Why do you think this was?  Because he missed all the excessive turmoil and discord from his past years?  Really?
Yeah, Slash is going to forego a GN'R reunion because of his happy life with Myles Kennedy and serenity and stability?  This is not the Slash I know.  And I don't mean to say this reunion is going to happen, I just don't think Slash being serene in his life is going to be a hold up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:53:30 PM by Manek » Logged
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #512 on: September 30, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »

He quit and never looked back.

rofl

sorry.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #513 on: September 30, 2015, 08:00:10 PM »

but is AXL now the kind of personality that is much easier for SLASH to work with?

I see Axl's side on this. You have 4 straight LEGENDARY albums.... the pressure to TOP THAT? especially with a changing musical climate, must have been almost unbearable. having a Guitar player,and I am one of the biggest Slash fans on the planet, that was strung out and probably not very motivated, made things WORSE.

Axl should not be faulted for wanting to keep GNR Great, and for not settling for good enough quality of music from Slash. He knows more than anyone what Slash is capable of, and if Slash was not presenting that to Axl, why should Axl put out a less than great product?

Axl being difficult to work with, is simply because he wants to surpass what GNR have done..... whereas I always felt Slash was trying to quickly crank out passable material.

Plus this is just touring... Which would be easier to co exist.

And Hell, AC/DC just sold out Dodger Stadium to like 60k people.. THAT SHOULD and COULD be GNR... I'm sure Slash would trade in the 1500 seat theaters for THAT in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:05:44 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #514 on: October 01, 2015, 04:48:42 AM »

but is AXL now the kind of personality that is much easier for SLASH to work with?

I see Axl's side on this. You have 4 straight LEGENDARY albums.... the pressure to TOP THAT? especially with a changing musical climate, must have been almost unbearable. having a Guitar player,and I am one of the biggest Slash fans on the planet, that was strung out and probably not very motivated, made things WORSE.

Axl should not be faulted for wanting to keep GNR Great, and for not settling for good enough quality of music from Slash. He knows more than anyone what Slash is capable of, and if Slash was not presenting that to Axl, why should Axl put out a less than great product?

Axl being difficult to work with, is simply because he wants to surpass what GNR have done..... whereas I always felt Slash was trying to quickly crank out passable material.

And Hell, AC/DC just sold out Dodger Stadium to like 60k people.. THAT SHOULD and COULD be GNR... I'm sure Slash would trade in the 1500 seat theaters for THAT in a heartbeat.
Some of your opinions in that comment are fairly baffling to me. That's a lot of presumptions to make. I've read no where that Slash wasnt motivated to make music post 93. Have you got a quote from Axl stating this was ever the case?
I agree he was strung out, everyone knows this but as far as my knowledge of GNR Slash history goes he was always capable of getting himself together to get the job done!
The reasons that Axl and Slash fell out are widely known mate, and I don't agree with the comment that Slash wanted to churn out albums that were just passable?? Axl and slash wanted different things from the next album and they couldn't see eye to eye on it. That along with other issues is what broke the band up???
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #515 on: October 01, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »

Some of your opinions in that comment are fairly baffling to me. That's a lot of presumptions to make. I've read no where that Slash wasnt motivated to make music post 93. Have you got a quote from Axl stating this was ever the case?
I agree he was strung out, everyone knows this but as far as my knowledge of GNR Slash history goes he was always capable of getting himself together to get the job done!
The reasons that Axl and Slash fell out are widely known mate, and I don't agree with the comment that Slash wanted to churn out albums that were just passable?? Axl and slash wanted different things from the next album and they couldn't see eye to eye on it. That along with other issues is what broke the band up???

I'm a huge Slash fan, but I would tend to agree with the sentiment of D's post. While Slash wasn't necessarily uninterested in making music, I tend to wonder how capable he was to create music at the level GnR was used to and needed to improve on.

In the mid to late 90's timeframe, most of his solo stuff is passable, even live performances with major artists were just 'OK'... when he really cleaned up, that is when he started to create better music. VR and 'SLASH' are better than anything he did with Snakepit and Blues Ball. Fall to Pieces is a good example, how much did that improve when Axl heard it in 1995-96 and when it finally hit Contraband in the 03-04 timeframe.

This may never happen, but having had Duff break the ice in 2010 and get some significant stage time with Axl in South America and Vegas may have done a lot to move this forward. The long term sobriety of Duff and Slash could be all the difference. That and the current state of the 'modern lineup' could be what it takes for them to just talk about it. Maybe it never makes it past some theoretical discussions and walks down memory lane. If you read Duff's first book (which I'm sure most here did) this could all be related to the conversation Duff and Axl had where in the moment they never celebrated the bands success. Dates would line up too... 2016 and 2017 would hit the 25th anniversary of UYI and the 30th anniversary of AFD respectively.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #516 on: October 01, 2015, 08:46:57 AM »

I'm a huge Slash fan, but I would tend to agree with the sentiment of D's post. While Slash wasn't necessarily uninterested in making music, I tend to wonder how capable he was to create music at the level GnR was used to and needed to improve on.

In the mid to late 90's timeframe, most of his solo stuff is passable, even live performances with major artists were just 'OK'... when he really cleaned up, that is when he started to create better music. VR and 'SLASH' are better than anything he did with Snakepit and Blues Ball. Fall to Pieces is a good example, how much did that improve when Axl heard it in 1995-96 and when it finally hit Contraband in the 03-04 timeframe.

This may never happen, but having had Duff break the ice in 2010 and get some significant stage time with Axl in South America and Vegas may have done a lot to move this forward. The long term sobriety of Duff and Slash could be all the difference. That and the current state of the 'modern lineup' could be what it takes for them to just talk about it. Maybe it never makes it past some theoretical discussions and walks down memory lane. If you read Duff's first book (which I'm sure most here did) this could all be related to the conversation Duff and Axl had where in the moment they never celebrated the bands success. Dates would line up too... 2016 and 2017 would hit the 25th anniversary of UYI and the 30th anniversary of AFD respectively.

Well when Duff and Axl spoke in private about the past... how does Axl not soften his stance on Slash ? Duff and Slash were in lockstep on past events.

It only make sense...That his stance on Slash has softened from not in this life time... to maybe....

Combined that with the implosion of what was the touring lineup...

We are here.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Annie
« Reply #517 on: October 01, 2015, 09:16:26 AM »

i know we all are, but i couldnt be more curious to see how this turns out. it is overwhelmingly clear what the majority of people want to happen. if axl didnt reunite it would be his will against the will of millions.. then again, that wouldnt be anything new. it takes some serious balls to defy the collective will of millions. all the flack he gets for it... still, he doesnt seem to care. pretty badass in a way. also very frustrating for those that want his will to bend. i wonder how all this affects him if at all?
Since all great artists feel things very deeply I am sure this has a huge affect on him. All these millions of people need to come to terms with the fact that it is the choice of the musicians involved if they want to reunite.
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #518 on: October 01, 2015, 02:47:21 PM »

Those are two  rofl statements for me.  So you're saying that dealing with Axl's bullshit on tour and in life -- which Slash documented in his book were bigger reasons than music -- don't factor in at all to the difficulty of dealing with Axl Rose?

And despite Slash citing problems touring with Axl as some of the biggest reasons he quit GNR, you think touring will make it easier to co-exist?

Again.   rofl

Well when Duff and Axl spoke in private about the past... how does Axl not soften his stance on Slash ? Duff and Slash were in lockstep on past events.

In a Q&A that is on youtube, Duff stated that he never brought Slash up when speaking to Axl.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:49:41 PM by Bridge » Logged
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #519 on: October 01, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »

Even if they're 'friends' now, wouldn't it be other motivations beside fame and fortune behind it?

Judging by the applause Axl recieved when entering Jimmy Kimmel and also the induction Slash and them got I think they're fine on fame.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:49:38 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: