Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 03:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228460 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 130891 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #480 on: September 28, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »

I have no idea.

I know what you're saying, you're assuming what Slash said is correct (assumption #1) and therefore the reunion is more likely (assumption #2).

Even if the first is true, it doesn't necessarily mean the other is more likely. If you think about it.

As an example, as far as I know, I don't think Axl had any problems with Buckethead, but Buckethead still didn't come back....

/jarmo

Axl doesn`t have a problem with Buckethead? That`s news to me... Since when? That`s not what Axl said in his statement announcing Buckethead departure

From the 2008 chats:

"I have no issues with Bucket. It's hard to tell what was real or not in things we were told by Merck. He's more than welcome to tour with us in some form or other provided we're both interested at the time and come to some type of reasonable terms. Personally I have a blast w/Bucket on tour and get a big kick out of the guy. A lot of feelings were hurt on this side of the fence in how things went down and unfortunately others used our silence and the public's not knowing for their own purposes at both Bucket's and our expense."

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #481 on: September 28, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »

Axl doesn`t have a problem with Buckethead? That`s news to me... Since when? That`s not what Axl said in his statement announcing Buckethead departure

From the 2008 chats:

"I have no issues with Bucket. It's hard to tell what was real or not in things we were told by Merck. He's more than welcome to tour with us in some form or other provided we're both interested at the time and come to some type of reasonable terms. Personally I have a blast w/Bucket on tour and get a big kick out of the guy. A lot of feelings were hurt on this side of the fence in how things went down and unfortunately others used our silence and the public's not knowing for their own purposes at both Bucket's and our expense."

Thanks.  ok
Funny how something said in 2004 still must be true.... Wink

In addition, Axl was gonna share his free Dr Pepper with Buckethead...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #482 on: September 28, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »

That was definitely a surprise.  Axl tends to be more about burning bridges than building them.

But, I think it also shows that the initial guys he put together for the record was the group he was most excited about.  Here he is, 5 years after the guy took off, and still talking about maybe doing something with him again.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Princess Leia
« Reply #483 on: September 28, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »

I have no idea.

I know what you're saying, you're assuming what Slash said is correct (assumption #1) and therefore the reunion is more likely (assumption #2).

Even if the first is true, it doesn't necessarily mean the other is more likely. If you think about it.

As an example, as far as I know, I don't think Axl had any problems with Buckethead, but Buckethead still didn't come back....

/jarmo

From the 2008 chats:

Thank you I didn?t know Axl said that. So it was Merck who fucked up the whole thing?  Talk about shoting himself in the foot!
Princess Leia
« Reply #484 on: September 28, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »

That was definitely a surprise.  Axl tends to be more about burning bridges than building them.

But, I think it also shows that the initial guys he put together for the record was the group he was most excited about.  Here he is, 5 years after the guy took off, and still talking about maybe doing something with him again.

May be Axl realised that burning bridges will get him nowhere. And I don`t mean only with Buckethead
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #485 on: September 28, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »

I have no idea.

/jarmo

From the 2008 chats:

Thanks!
I was looking for that quote when I made my post!  beer

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #486 on: September 28, 2015, 06:04:51 PM »

which leads me back to my overall thoughts on the next year...no options are off the table...which could include Tommy, Bucket, Robin, Paul...whoever. If he releases the Chinese take out, he would have to consider giving the guys who wrote the songs a call....common sense tells you that. But, we don't know what he wants to do so better left unsolved!

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #487 on: September 28, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »

How many weeks left on Fernando's timeline for news?  Cheesy
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #488 on: September 28, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »

I wonder how things like Richards accident/injuries, and the sudden question of Tommy's status have lengthened the timeline?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #489 on: September 29, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »

I wonder how things like Richards accident/injuries, and the sudden question of Tommy's status have lengthened the timeline?

There is no "timeline".  Come on, now.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #490 on: September 29, 2015, 01:10:25 PM »

I personally doubt a reunion with Slash will occur. It's a long way from breaking the ice and talking to reforming the old band and touring. If they did reunite, I think it would not last long. Why? I see several key issues:

1. control: who is the "leader" of the band? Slash has been off on his own and the leader of his band for many years. I don't see him giving that up.
2. control: who is going to decide the set list? Are any of Slash's post-GNR songs going to be played? My sense is that Slash is always moving forward with new music and would not want to only play old GNR songs that while they are great, are nearly 30 years old.
3. control: I've seen Slash live a bunch of times (6 so far, 7th will be in 2 weeks!) and he goes on at 9pm and plays to 11pm. Axl goes on at 11-12pm and plays to early morning. The two would have to work out the time schedule and stick to it. I don't see Slash agreeing to go on at midnight. Maybe I am wrong.
4. control: money. How would the money be divided. Evenly, or not evenly as with the old band? That's a central issue. I don't see Slash taking less than Axl, and I don't see Axl wanting to divide evenly.

So I am not all that optimistic about a reunion.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #491 on: September 29, 2015, 01:35:51 PM »

I personally doubt a reunion with Slash will occur. It's a long way from breaking the ice and talking to reforming the old band and touring. If they did reunite, I think it would not last long. Why? I see several key issues:

1. control: who is the "leader" of the band? Slash has been off on his own and the leader of his band for many years. I don't see him giving that up.
2. control: who is going to decide the set list? Are any of Slash's post-GNR songs going to be played? My sense is that Slash is always moving forward with new music and would not want to only play old GNR songs that while they are great, are nearly 30 years old.
3. control: I've seen Slash live a bunch of times (6 so far, 7th will be in 2 weeks!) and he goes on at 9pm and plays to 11pm. Axl goes on at 11-12pm and plays to early morning. The two would have to work out the time schedule and stick to it. I don't see Slash agreeing to go on at midnight. Maybe I am wrong.
4. control: money. How would the money be divided. Evenly, or not evenly as with the old band? That's a central issue. I don't see Slash taking less than Axl, and I don't see Axl wanting to divide evenly.

So I am not all that optimistic about a reunion.

All legit concerns.

But, let's be honest about 2 things :

- those were going to be the problems if ever this talk gained any real traction
- one person can pretty much take care of all of this with some concessions...or he won't

If Axl is not a hardass about money and/or some sort of derogatory designation (i.e. : you are just an employee here, bub) and agrees to take the stage at a reasonable time, that is more than half the battle.

And like it or not, Axl is the one holding those cards.  It happens if he wants it to.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #492 on: September 29, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »

And like it or not, Axl is the one holding those cards.  It happens if he wants it to.

Ultimately, for a reunion to happen in 2016, the other 4 will have to resign themselves to this truth.  Sure, Axl could agree to go onstage by a certain time, and agree to equal shares of the profits, but it's his show. He owns the name.  The others would be simply returning after 20+ years of doing their own thing.

In other words, wrangling the collective egos involved would probably be the most difficult hurdle to clear.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #493 on: September 29, 2015, 05:02:22 PM »

In other words, wrangling the collective egos involved would probably be the most difficult hurdle to clear.

I would think, even if Axl agreed to color within the lines...what's the reaction the first time he gets a bug up his ass over who the hell knows what and....doesn't?

Dunno.

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #494 on: September 29, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »

To be fair though.. .when was the last time Axl turned up late for a show? It would have been years.

Im prepared to give Axl more credit than he's getting on here in terms of what the potential issues are to getting a reunion going. Duff recently said playing with Axl was smooth and no issue at all. He's also alluded to the fact hes spoken extensively with Axl regarding old issues with Slash and that those talks were very productive. Slash said the old stuff has subsided as well.

IMO.. the biggest hurdles towards a reunion are individual... where each of these guys is at with their own schedule.

Is Axl more preoccupied with releasing CD2? How would he integrate the old guys into the band whilst making way for whats left of the current band iof he goes the reunion route?

Is Slash working on his own new Album still and plans tour again?

Duff and Izzy are doing their stuff together... etc

Slash wont sit idle while all this works itself out.. he will want to keep busy touring WOF and the new album hes working on before sitting around working the legalities out of a reunion tour if it were to happen.

Would the old guys be happy with just a reunion and not working on a new album either individually or together for guns?

There's a mountain of shit that would need to line up but its not impossible.. My best bet is if we get anything in terms of a reunion is.. we get half a dozen sell out arena shows in 2017 and that would be it. everyone else goes back to doing their own thing afterwards.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #495 on: September 29, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »

Would the old guys be happy with just a reunion and not working on a new album either individually or together for guns?

There's a mountain of shit that would need to line up but its not impossible.. My best bet is if we get anything in terms of a reunion is.. we get half a dozen sell out arena shows in 2017 and that would be it. everyone else goes back to doing their own thing afterwards.

I would think it would have to start as the latter: Let's agree to tour on our history for a handful of huge shows... then see what happens organically during that period. Maybe during sound check (Axl shows up...) and Slash and Duff jam a few ideas. They grab the audio from the board and he hashes out some lyrics, etc... maybe a small Lies like limited release comes from it... maybe it works, maybe it doesn't...

I just don't think they can get a bunch of lawyers in a room and try to force a contract to create music, just see if some time on the road sparks what made them special in the late 80's.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #496 on: September 29, 2015, 09:42:41 PM »

So it was Merck who fucked up the whole thing? 

Buckethead became fed up with Guns? inability to complete an album or tour and stopped working with them, his manager said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1485811/bucketheads-hand-puppet-says-goodbye-to-guns-n-roses/

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #497 on: September 29, 2015, 11:05:33 PM »

It appeared Merck often played both sides against each other and always protected himself.

But he is not why Bucket left.  Bucket left because he saw he was on a rudderless ship.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #498 on: September 30, 2015, 12:03:59 AM »

It appeared Merck often played both sides against each other and always protected himself.

But he is not why Bucket left.  Bucket left because he saw he was on a rudderless ship.

Which may be true for BBF, DJ and Robin. If you're an artist and want your voice to be heard I can understand wanting to leave GNR.
 however, those who stay shouldn't be criticized, Tommy released a couple of Solo albums and probably took GnR for what it is worth with no expectations, which makes it all the more strange if he is actually gone.

And is it me, or was it odd that he referred to GNR as ''the gig'' ? Is calling it a gig kind of derogatory, or am I seeing things that arent there? Like Emily ?  Grin Kiss

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #499 on: September 30, 2015, 12:36:22 AM »

Ive said this for years, and Ill keep saying it..... although I like the new bandmembers for the most part, none of them other than Tommy, can create to the level of Axl. Axl is an undisputed top 5 frontman of all time, no guitar player in the band was an original force to be reckoned with. Slash and Axl's sound goes together like peanut butter and Chocolate. It's undeniable when you listen to the albums how well they compliment each other, melodically emotionally and creatively.

That doesn't grow on trees. You have a top 5 frontman and guitar player in the same band... It is impossible to replicate.

20 years, Im sure neither are the same guy that they were when the messy divorce happened. A sober Slash, I guarantee would be much easier for Axl to work with. The fame, fortune and the machine, tore it apart... It can be repaired. I don't know what exactly happened that is not repairable.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: