Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 07:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228461 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 130960 times)
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #580 on: October 07, 2015, 05:38:31 PM »

I don't get your logic at all.

Yes, that's apparent.

At its base level, here it is.  If they patch it up, the obvious question is going to be why he's still fucking around with a bunch of dudes that have nothing to do with Guns N' Roses when you have the opportunity to be working with one of the main reasons the band's legacy is what it is.

Robin Finck, Buckethead, Ron Thal, DJ Ashba...these were the first choices of no one.  They were alternatives forced on us, that we convinced ourselves to accept because the preferred option was not on the table.  Once you show the preferred option can be done, people are going to be less tolerant of fill-ins.

Why the hell do you think he didn't got the Hall Of Fame?  Because the second he takes the stage with the line-up everyone knows and loves, they are going to ask him why he keeps putzing around with whoever the hell else.

That's how I see it.  If you don't agree, you don't agree.  It ain't no bad day.

Listen hater, Robin Finck was a better guitarist than Slash could ever hope to be. Chinese Democracy is the only GN'R album that counts. You think people really care for the hair metal crap done when Sla$h was in the band? If you like Old Guns N' Roses, you hate Axl.

what are you  smoking hahahaha
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #581 on: October 07, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »

Listen hater, Robin Finck was a better guitarist than Slash could ever hope to be. Chinese Democracy is the only GN'R album that counts. You think people really care for the hair metal crap done when Sla$h was in the band? If you like Old Guns N' Roses, you hate Axl.

50 some posts in, I still don't get this guy's whole deal.

If its a wind up account, some other type of performance art, or what have you.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Princess Leia
« Reply #582 on: October 07, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »

I don't get your logic at all.

Yes, that's apparent.

At its base level, here it is.  If they patch it up, the obvious question is going to be why he's still fucking around with a bunch of dudes that have nothing to do with Guns N' Roses when you have the opportunity to be working with one of the main reasons the band's legacy is what it is.

Robin Finck, Buckethead, Ron Thal, DJ Ashba...these were the first choices of no one.  They were alternatives forced on us, that we convinced ourselves to accept because the preferred option was not on the table.  Once you show the preferred option can be done, people are going to be less tolerant of fill-ins.

Why the hell do you think he didn't got the Hall Of Fame?  Because the second he takes the stage with the line-up everyone knows and loves, they are going to ask him why he keeps putzing around with whoever the hell else.

That's how I see it.  If you don't agree, you don't agree.  It ain't no bad day.

Cherry is an amazing comedian. He should be hosting some late night show. His entire post is the best joke ever

rofl  rofl rofl
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #583 on: October 07, 2015, 06:06:31 PM »

To be clear, no one around here.  But the thousands upon thousands that are doing the equivalent of hate watching a TV show they are no longer into just to get to the series finale where their favorite characters come back.

I doubt it. I mean, let's say these people spend time on GN'R fan sites now just waiting for that magical day. How would they spend their time after?

Imagine if you couldn't post on GN'R sites. What would you do with all that free time?

Of course there's the casual fans... Some would go for the novelty of the reunion tour. Others would go anyway since it says Guns N' Roses on the ticket.

/jarmo

Interesting choice of words. Do you think getting Axl back together with any version of the 87-93 lineups is "novelty"Huh

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #584 on: October 07, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »

To be clear, no one around here.  But the thousands upon thousands that are doing the equivalent of hate watching a TV show they are no longer into just to get to the series finale where their favorite characters come back.

I doubt it. I mean, let's say these people spend time on GN'R fan sites now just waiting for that magical day. How would they spend their time after?

Imagine if you couldn't post on GN'R sites. What would you do with all that free time?

Of course there's the casual fans... Some would go for the novelty of the reunion tour. Others would go anyway since it says Guns N' Roses on the ticket.

/jarmo

Interesting choice of words. Do you think getting Axl back together with any version of the 87-93 lineups is "novelty"Huh

Hair metal like the kind that Sla$h era GN'R produced is thankfully an old novelty. A reunion would just be revisiting an embarrassing past, like going to your high school reunion and seeing your high school sweetheart still wearing her early '90s perm. We, Guns N' Roses fans, who support Axl and whatever he decides to do with the band he alone created, look to the future - watching Axl's vision finally unfurl to conquer the world now that he's no longer carrying the weight of users and albatrosses like Ashba and Bumblefoot, who revealed their true, traitorous colors. Funky Techno Industrial beats and keyboard bloops are the modern way, not lame guitar driven '80s cheese. Remixes and loops of decade old albums are just too advanced for some mullet-headed minds to contemplate, unfortunately.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #585 on: October 07, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »

No, I don't. Once again, it seems like some choose to not get the point just to argue.

Why are reunions and prequels/sequels (in movies) a big thing?
Because there was something and people hope to do it again.

So I think a bunch of casual fans would go see a reunion tour because it's a reunion tour.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #586 on: October 07, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »

No, I don't. Once again, it seems like some choose to not get the point just to argue.

So I think a bunch of casual fans would go see a reunion tour because it's a reunion tour.

/jarmo

At this point, what would separate a reunion from Axl continuing with the current band, though? It's not as if the new band was playing whole sets of new songs or doing anything revolutionary with the name. I mean, if Axl's going to play a set that's at least 50% or more Appetite or UYIs material, why not do it with the guys who co-wrote that music? At this point, isn't anything GN'R related a novelty? I REALLY doubt Axl, if he continued with the new band, would say, fill a show with mostly new songs (as the band did on the UYI tour where most of the set was brand new songs). If GN'R is to be a nostalgia gig, why not bring along the guys who played a big part in creating said nostalgia?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #587 on: October 07, 2015, 06:33:54 PM »

You stopped trolling already?

How do I explain this to you.

There's GN'R fans who go to every GN'R show they can. It's their favorite band.
There's GN'R fans who only go if certain rules are met. They have a special rule book with their own rules and if not enough demands are met, they'll stay home and post about it on the Internet.
There's rock fans who'll go see GN'R when they come to town because they like the music. They don't post on fan sites or follow all the news. Then there's a number of rock fans who'll go see that reunion tour, or farewell tour, depending on the band just because it's what it is.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #588 on: October 07, 2015, 06:41:39 PM »

/jarmo

I think sequels and prequels are a big thing in movies because nobody can come up with an original idea any more.  Nobody can write anything good any more

Same might be said for music
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #589 on: October 07, 2015, 06:45:12 PM »

/jarmo

I think sequels and prequels are a big thing in movies because nobody can come up with an original idea any more.  Nobody can write anything good any more

Same might be said for music

Actually the more I think of it

With movies.  There are original things out there. They just don't sell.  It's much easier to appeal to the brainless average market by redoing super hero movies and cartoons with simple laughs

There is great music still out there.  There are original acts out there.  But mostly they don't sell

The mindless sheep want there ac/dc and kiss.  Don't forget the Bon Jovi, unwashed fans.   
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #590 on: October 07, 2015, 07:05:38 PM »

Axl has said in an interview where Slash was playing some of the best, meanest riffs ever, but when Axl wanted to work on them and really flesh them out, Slash wouldn't be interested or something.... Can't remember what interview that was .

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #591 on: October 07, 2015, 07:55:42 PM »

Axl has said in an interview where Slash was playing some of the best, meanest riffs ever, but when Axl wanted to work on them and really flesh them out, Slash wouldn't be interested or something.... Can't remember what interview that was .

I think it was from the online chats he did on the message boards.  He said that Slash started to play some of what became "Fall To Pieces", but when Axl heard it & saw the potential, Slash backed away to keep the material "down" to avoid the fame.  Ironic that it eventually became a hit & put him back in the spotlight.
Annie
« Reply #592 on: October 07, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »

I think it was from the online chats he did on the message boards.  He said that Slash started to play some of what became "Fall To Pieces", but when Axl heard it & saw the potential, Slash backed away to keep the material "down" to avoid the fame.  Ironic that it eventually became a hit & put him back in the spotlight.
Fall to Pieces was the one Velvet Revolver song that I actually liked
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #593 on: October 07, 2015, 08:56:03 PM »

This was durring slashes trial period as an employee of the band

He had a certain window to check it out.  After that window all the music he would of brought to the table would of been property of guns n roses (axl)

I don't blame him for taking this song and other back
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #594 on: October 07, 2015, 09:42:41 PM »

Sorum also blasted Rose for using the name GUNS N' ROSES when the original band is no longer together. Sorum said, "I'm not saying I'm an original member, okay, but I understand the core of the band, which is Slash and Duff and probably Izzy. It's a shame, and you know what, this goes back to a Paul McCartney thing. Does he call himself THE BEATLES? Not saying we were as big as THE BEATLES, but does Sting call himself THE POLICE? No. Does Jimmy Page and Robert Plant go out there calling themselves LED ZEPPELIN? Nope."

Hahaha...anyway, is Paul, Jimmy and Sting in conflict with an overly phobic society? Are they still rebellious rockers or just great, socially accepted, musicians that happen to make rockmusic? Axl is a living rocklegend (who looks great, is somewhat cool and doesn't abuse substances) and it seem he won't let peer-pressure get the better of him. I for one honor him for that beside the musical talent and showmanship. Can someone explain why Axl should care a lot about certain social norms and mores, I don't get it. Lemme guess, fortune and fame.

50 some posts in, I still don't get this guy's whole deal.

If its a wind up account, some other type of performance art, or what have you.

He is trying to paraphrase people not being bigots I think.

There's rock fans who'll go see GN'R when they come to town because they like the music.

This.

Also; back in the day guns was liked a lot for standing out from glamrock, not just their musical diversity of the time.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:35:37 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #595 on: October 07, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »

You stopped trolling already?

How do I explain this to you.

There's GN'R fans who go to every GN'R show they can. It's their favorite band.
There's GN'R fans who only go if certain rules are met. They have a special rule book with their own rules and if not enough demands are met, they'll stay home and post about it on the Internet.
There's rock fans who'll go see GN'R when they come to town because they like the music. They don't post on fan sites or follow all the news. Then there's a number of rock fans who'll go see that reunion tour, or farewell tour, depending on the band just because it's what it is.

/jarmo

I know all about the types of GN'R fans. What I'm asking is, since GN'R doesn't really show any forward movement, what difference does it really make if there's a reunion? If Axl was really pushing forward with this iteration of Guns, that would be one thing but all signs (And I'm not talking conjecture - I'm talking signs in terms of things members of the group have actually said) indicate there's nothing really going on. I mean, Richard just said he has no idea what's going on with GN'R - That doesn't sound like, to me, like there is an imminent release or tour planned. I mean, Axl said he'd look "very seriously" at "doing something" about releasing music, but does that sound like a definitive or passionate statement to you? Yes, there's fans who would come to ANY show - even sans any original members including Axl - with the Guns N' Roses name attached. But my question is, why would a reunion necessarily be a bad idea at this juncture? I ask because honestly, from your posts, you don't seem really in favor of it.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #596 on: October 07, 2015, 11:24:45 PM »

Wow, haven't seen D in awhile.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #597 on: October 08, 2015, 04:58:13 AM »

So when I said that the hypothetical reunion ran its course didn't register?

Once again, let me explain it to you:

A hypothetical timeline:
Reunion tour -> tour ends -> everybody goes back to the things they were doing before that reunion -> new tours/projects

You're saying, nobody will go see any of those because they suddenly don't wanna hear Axl sing the GN'R songs or hear Slash play guitar.
That's what you're saying. And it makes no sense to me.

You keep repeating the same thing, you're not explaining it.
Also, ignoring the questions.

Edited to add: Please don't respond with the same "but people will wonder why they can't play together" again. When I say "it ran its course", it means they decided not to continue or it was just a one time deal to begin with.

/jarmo

Hiya,

I have not managed to keep up with all the recent news.

To get some context, have people jumped from the supposed conversation between Slash and Axl a while ago to GN'R supposedly reuniting soon? It's all fun and fine reading people opinions, I was just wondering where we are actually at just now. It seems a big leap in my head to assume one thing from another, if you get what I mean.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #598 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:02 AM »

Hiya,

Papa! birthday

Where's cd2? *bodytackles and put Mysteron in a leglock cloverleaf* huh, HUH! Angry
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:58:10 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #599 on: October 08, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »

But my question is, why would a reunion necessarily be a bad idea at this juncture? I ask because honestly, from your posts, you don't seem really in favor of it.

I don't think I ever said that. I was having a discussion with somebody who ignored my questions about it since that person made the pint that after a reunion nobody wants to hear Axl sing or Slash play guitar again.
I asked if that person thinks it's a bad idea to have a reunion unless the reunion is for life since apparently there's no going back after it.

But anyway.

I've made the point numerous times that I'm a GN'R fan. I don't have a series of conditions that has to be met or I'll stop being a fan.

All this stuff about how the band isn't moving forward is just your opinion. It fits whatever you're trying to push.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: