Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 07:19:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228461 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 130968 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #560 on: October 06, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »

...and it doesn't take as long to count heads, either.

I bet there was a bunch of them at that show in Bethlehem last year...

But all of us?  Do you discount there are people among us staying in this game just on the long, long, longshot hopes there is a reunion? 

You think they'll just go away?
Of course not. If there's a reunion, only a tour, these people will stick around waiting for the next reunion project.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #561 on: October 06, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »

...and it doesn't take as long to count heads, either.

I bet there was a bunch of them at that show in Bethlehem last year...

Up close. 

And personal.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #562 on: October 06, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »

But all of us?  Do you discount there are people among us staying in this game just on the long, long, longshot hopes there is a reunion? 

You think they'll just go away?
Of course not. If there's a reunion, only a tour, these people will stick around waiting for the next reunion project.

I think some will.  Absolutely.

They waited all this time for a miracle that actually came to fruition.  And then they cash out.

To be clear, no one around here.  But the thousands upon thousands that are doing the equivalent of hate watching a TV show they are no longer into just to get to the series finale where their favorite characters come back.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #563 on: October 06, 2015, 05:09:50 PM »

To be clear, no one around here.  But the thousands upon thousands that are doing the equivalent of hate watching a TV show they are no longer into just to get to the series finale where their favorite characters come back.

I doubt it. I mean, let's say these people spend time on GN'R fan sites now just waiting for that magical day. How would they spend their time after?

Imagine if you couldn't post on GN'R sites. What would you do with all that free time?

Of course there's the casual fans... Some would go for the novelty of the reunion tour. Others would go anyway since it says Guns N' Roses on the ticket.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #564 on: October 06, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »

I think they could still have a following if the scenario described presented itself. Sure, they might lose some support along the way. But there's been enough support for GNR sans Slash to be a viable outfit. Sure they're not breaking any records, but they also don't seem to be going bankrupt either. Hardcore Axl fans will still support him. Casual fans who go to see GNR live these days are doing it to see Axl or the music they like performed. I'm assuming a vast majority know Slash isn't in the band anymore. I'm not sure a reunion would detract from the crowd as much as you think. People will come out of the woodwork to see a reunion that wouldn't pay a nickel to see modern day Guns. But that's always been the case. I don't see this massive change.

I think you would largely have what you have now.  If most of us have stuck with him though all this bullshit, its pretty obvious we'll accept anything he throws our way.

I could show you posts on every board but this one that express that very sentiment.
Right, but they'd still have a following. I would tend to think if it was drawn up perfectly, the reunion would mark the end of the script. Go out on a high note. But that's not always how it works. It's up to Axl really. If he wants a reunion it'll probably happen. If he wants to go on with GNR after a reunion, with whoever he can round up, it'll probably happen. At least an attempt would be made. The music is timeless regardless of who is onstage. There will always be interest. Sure the demand may decrease, but I don't think it'll cease to exist altogether.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #565 on: October 06, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »

I think he doesn't like to give Axl too much credit...

People still wanna hear him sing those songs.

/jarmo

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #566 on: October 06, 2015, 08:11:21 PM »

I think he doesn't like to give Axl too much credit...

People still wanna hear him sing those songs.

/jarmo

Its quite simple for me... when guns came to town.. i went to see Axl sing the songs, i couldnt have cared less for ashba and co that night.

When Slash came to town, i went to see slash, when he started playing rocket queen... (and it was amazing), i was listening to slash eek every last ounce of effort from the guitar... not myles try to sing the song.

Have i hung around for a reunion? Most definitely. Do i care about guns 4.0 if it happens? No. If they came to my hood would i go? To see Axl again.. yes.  Id still go for sure.

If there was a reunion tour , and then Axl went back to a new band again.. would i be out completely? No.... but it sure would be a hell of a step back in my eyes.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #567 on: October 06, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »

I just want to know where we stand, and what the appropriate expectations are

Axl on reunion: Not in this lifetime
Axl on next step after Vegas: New gnr music
Tommy: Didn't quit, will most likely be back
Fernando: Announcement inc
Richard: 2016 is the year
Dizzy: Probably next year
Slash: Going solo

-------

Expect modern gnr to be up with smt next. Not soon, in 2016 at best. Meanwhile, Jarmo and D-generationX will keep us entertained.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
ComeOnAxl!
Rocker

Sup Ya Brew 2 !

« Reply #568 on: October 07, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »

I think any reunion plans at this point are pure speculation. We haven't heard a single concrete evidence of anything in the works.

But don't you think people are using the reunion rumors almost like a coping mechanism of sorts?

Here is what I mean.  We have heard dick about a new album, despite them starting to look very seriously at what they are doing in that regard (for over a year now).  We have seen 3 band members leave the organization in short order.

Those things, on their face, look like some bad god damn news for we fans.

However...if some announcement comes down the pike in the next few months there would be some sort of full on reunion tour, or even a hybridized one...does anyone care about the loss of Bumble or DJ at that point? 

Are you as frustrated that there is (somehow) still no new album if you could go see Axl, Slash, and Duff onstage again?

Worst case scenario : Axl emerges from his cocoon at whatever point and shoots down any reunion question as ridiculous...and tells us that he's "still trying to get a handle" on how to release the next album.

Then, we are truly nowhere.
I do agree with all the points you brought up especially the one about a reunion being a coping mechanism.

Bow!
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #569 on: October 07, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »

Ok, suppose this happens:

Axl gets the finger out and releases a new album next year.  He tours it with a lineup that has Billy Whothehell and Bob Neverheardofhim on guitars, and either Tommy or Duff on bass.  Slash and maybe Izzy come onstage to join them for a couple of songs at some shows either on the regular tour, or at some festivals, depending on Slash's own tour schedule and Izzy's inclination.

I'd be happy enough with that, I think, if that's what there was.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #570 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »

Ok, suppose this happens:

Axl gets the finger out and releases a new album next year.  He tours it with a lineup that has Billy Whothehell and Bob Neverheardofhim on guitars, and either Tommy or Duff on bass.  Slash and maybe Izzy come onstage to join them for a couple of songs at some shows either on the regular tour, or at some festivals, depending on Slash's own tour schedule and Izzy's inclination.

I'd be happy enough with that, I think, if that's what there was.

The second Slash does that, its all anyone will talk about. 

The already meager interest in the latest Axl & a bunch of dudes named Harry version of Guns N' Roses will plummet to next to nothing.

Slash can't rejoin the fold until its going to be for something substantial.  Coming onstage one night to play KOHD with them won't cut it.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #571 on: October 07, 2015, 04:22:56 PM »

You're still assuming that people will lose interest in hearing Axl sing those songs if there ever was a reunion.

Why?

Do you also think nobody will go see Slash and his solo band for the same reason?

/jarmo

dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #572 on: October 07, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »

MATT SORUM 'Pleads The Fifth' On Question About Reunion Of Classic GUNS N' ROSES Lineup

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-pleads-the-fifth-on-question-about-reunion-of-classic-guns-n-roses-lineup/#j6wogjQjXDKGhV7a.99

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #573 on: October 07, 2015, 04:28:22 PM »

You're still assuming that people will lose interest in hearing Axl sing those songs if there ever was a reunion.

Why?

Because those of us that are left are willing to accept they don't work together because of some unresolved white hot hate.

Even though it doesn't make sense to us, we accept that's how it is.

But once you show that white hot hate is no longer present?  Then, all bets are off.

We were willing to accept Johnny Random and Billy Whoeverthefuck on guitar when the preferred alternative isn't possible.

Once it is, though?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #574 on: October 07, 2015, 04:29:08 PM »

Encouraging.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #575 on: October 07, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »

We were willing to accept Johnny Random and Billy Whoeverthefuck on guitar when the preferred alternative isn't possible.

Once it is, though?

First, I don't need you to speak on behalf of me... Thanks.

Like I said, if it happens one day, for one show, for one week or one tour, whatever it is, doesn't mean it'll last forever.
So hypothetically speaking, let's say they do it. It runs its course and they go back to what they did before.

In your opinion, people will not want to hear Axl sing those songs anymore because Slash isn't there?
But Slash doesn't sing (a lot), Axl sings.....

So are you saying it's not a good idea to even consider that magical reunion unless it's for life?

I don't get your logic at all.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #576 on: October 07, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »

Yes, that's apparent.

At its base level, here it is.  If they patch it up, the obvious question is going to be why he's still fucking around with a bunch of dudes that have nothing to do with Guns N' Roses when you have the opportunity to be working with one of the main reasons the band's legacy is what it is.

Robin Finck, Buckethead, Ron Thal, DJ Ashba...these were the first choices of no one.  They were alternatives forced on us, that we convinced ourselves to accept because the preferred option was not on the table.  Once you show the preferred option can be done, people are going to be less tolerant of fill-ins.

Why the hell do you think he didn't got the Hall Of Fame?  Because the second he takes the stage with the line-up everyone knows and loves, they are going to ask him why he keeps putzing around with whoever the hell else.

That's how I see it.  If you don't agree, you don't agree.  It ain't no bad day.

Princess Leia
« Reply #577 on: October 07, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »

Somebody should tell Sorum that there is a difference between the fifth and not knowing. If you don`t know you just say you don`t know. The fifth, you know but it is not the right time to talk about it because it can be used against you. Still it means you do know stuff.

So he doesn`t know or he can?t talk at the moment?  Huh
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #578 on: October 07, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »

At its base level, here it is.  If they patch it up, the obvious question is going to be why he's still fucking around with a bunch of dudes that have nothing to do with Guns N' Roses when you have the opportunity to be working with one of the main reasons the band's legacy is what it is.

So when I said that the hypothetical reunion ran its course didn't register?

Once again, let me explain it to you:

A hypothetical timeline:
Reunion tour -> tour ends -> everybody goes back to the things they were doing before that reunion -> new tours/projects

You're saying, nobody will go see any of those because they suddenly don't wanna hear Axl sing the GN'R songs or hear Slash play guitar.
That's what you're saying. And it makes no sense to me.

That's how I see it.  If you don't agree, you don't agree.  It ain't no bad day.

You keep repeating the same thing, you're not explaining it.
Also, ignoring the questions.

Edited to add: Please don't respond with the same "but people will wonder why they can't play together" again. When I say "it ran its course", it means they decided not to continue or it was just a one time deal to begin with.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:20:18 PM by jarmo » Logged

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #579 on: October 07, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »

Yes, that's apparent.

Robin Finck, Buckethead, Ron Thal, DJ Ashba...these were the first choices of no one.  They were alternatives forced on us, that we convinced ourselves to accept because the preferred option was not on the table.  Once you show the preferred option can be done, people are going to be less tolerant of fill-ins.

Why the hell do you think he didn't got the Hall Of Fame?  Because the second he takes the stage with the line-up everyone knows and loves, they are going to ask him why he keeps putzing around with whoever the hell else.

Listen hater, Robin Finck was a better guitarist than Slash could ever hope to be. Chinese Democracy is the only GN'R album that counts. You think people really care for the hair metal crap done when Sla$h was in the band? If you like Old Guns N' Roses, you hate Axl.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: