Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 123295 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2015, 03:50:53 PM »

Like when people start in with defending Axl's hurt feelings over something or other.  Do you know the guy?  No.  You like his music.

Finally!
You should remind yourself of this more often!  ok

You are something of a unique case.

I'm talking about the people who seem to be channeling you with some of those sorts of statements, as if their circumstances are the same as yours.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »

You all will get nothing and like it.....

As for the guys not getting along like they used to, does that band of brothers shit really last once you are out of sharing the same shithole apartment once you made it?

Furthermore, did you guys get the impression the band was having a real mardi gras of a time on that UYI tour?  Did it affect your enjoyment of the shows?

It can last...look at Pearl Jam. Depends on the band, depends on the individuals. I've been in a band for 20 years. We still get along for the most part.

As you get older priorities naturally change.

I think what happened to GNR was exactly what Duff has eluded to. They fell into every trap that a rock band can fall into. By all accounts they weren't friends to begin with. This is a band that didn't blow up gradually. Night and day they became the biggest band in the world. There is no manual on how to deal with any of that. From struggling one day to being able to get whatever you want whenever you want. Some people adjust better than others. I don't think that any of them adjusted well. All of that just fueled the ego's of the creative forces within the band. They went in to record the UYI albums only wanting to work on their own songs. I'm surprised by how good the songs on that album are based on that.

When I speak about getting together under the right circumstances, its more about repairing the relationship and then seeing if they can work together. Hopefully they've matured over the years and have different priorities than they did when they broke up. IF they do reunite the main priority should be to re-establish the GNR brand.

I recall a poster saying that they should reunite for the fans. In all due respect (not too sound harsh), it would be the wrong reason to reunite. Being an artist isn't really about pleasing your fans. The pleasing of the fans comes from your live performances or even your interactions with them.  
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2015, 06:06:37 PM »

I'm talking about the people who seem to be channeling you with some of those sorts of statements, as if their circumstances are the same as yours.

That's nice.
But the same applies to many who think they have an idea of what really must be going on. Smiley

I recall a poster saying that they should reunite for the fans. In all due respect (not too sound harsh), it would be the wrong reason to reunite. Being an artist isn't really about pleasing your fans. The pleasing of the fans comes from your live performances or even your interactions with them. 

Yeah, "for the fans" is often used as an excuse and/or reason.
And many times this is said by fans.... So what does that qualify as?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2015, 06:15:36 PM »

Like when people start in with defending Axl's hurt feelings over something or other.  Do you know the guy?  No.  You like his music.

Finally!
You should remind yourself of this more often!  ok

Can't speak for anyone else, but I look up to him. He is a good example of someone that lives in his own authentic way and he does it with integrity. People like me need for there to be people like him out there when we are young to inspire us to think for ourselves because all we get growing up is pop culture. I never had postitive psychology when I was a kid but I did have jim morrison telling me to follow my fear, and that's literally how i got freed from the deep seeded fear of hell implanted in me as a child

When you slander someones heroes, how do you expect them to feel? Not only slander them, but make a point out of doing so, and enjoy a little extra attention for yourself while you're at it. Sounds like a great "job", where do I sign up?

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2015, 06:22:21 PM »

Anyway, putting that little dream bump with dx aside, my view on a reunion is that it is nowhere near as exciting as the prospect of new music. Not even close.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »

personally, the reason why I always supported axl was because he preserved his beliefs through the years, and standing by his decisions.
changing his mind on things where he gave such strong beliefs would just make it awkward, especially after saying "never" so many times

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2015, 07:03:31 PM »

personally, the reason why I always supported axl was because he preserved his beliefs through the years, and standing by his decisions.
changing his mind on things where he gave such strong beliefs would just make it awkward, especially after saying "never" so many times

I think that "awkward" moment would fade rather quickly in light of any sort of an actual reunion.  Me, I think a downside to any sort of reunion would be to invalidate Chinese Democracy as a "legitimate" GnR album...personally, I love that record, and don't think it received anywhere near the attention that the songs themselves merit.
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2015, 07:33:17 PM »

I used to be a huge supporter of the new lineup. I was at the new years eve 2001 at Hard Rock Vegas.  CD was kind of a let down for me just because by the time it came out I had heard countless times the leaks, even the final weeks when those last few leaks came (Prostitute, Chinese Democracy, If the World, studio version of Better and Street of Dreams) out so by the time it came out there was just 3 songs I hadn't heard and they were IMO the worst ones. Sorry and This Love and Scraped.
But at this point I would love to see a full on Reunion. I'd like to see Axl get in Shape like Duff and just rip it up with the fellas.  Like Eddie Trunk said they're all still relatively young and you only live once so would be very special to see them all on stage together. 

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »

I think that "awkward" moment would fade rather quickly in light of any sort of an actual reunion.  Me, I think a downside to any sort of reunion would be to invalidate Chinese Democracy as a "legitimate" GnR album...personally, I love that record, and don't think it received anywhere near the attention that the songs themselves merit.

the awkward part is similar to going out on a dinner with friend and his girlfriend.

they broken up 2 years ago... and now they are back...
u were the 1 that supported him when he dumped her the 1st time, and u told him that she's a homicidal whore who had sex with Scott Weiland and Michael Jackson... and that he should be gay and have sex with you.
and he told you that she sucks at giving head.

^awkward in that sort of way
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:40:33 PM by Lucky » Logged

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »

Exactly right, guys.

Just what would a reunion be stopping?  The non-stop thrill ride we've been on the past few years where next to nothing happens and people leave the band?

Yeah, let's not mess with that.

Yeah, it's been a real hoot.  Looks like whatever Axl was planning on "looking very seriously at" after Vegas went swimmingly.  I just can't stop listening to The General & Atlas Shrugged!!  hihi

But seriously, if GNR had an album (with a concrete release date) scheduled for, oh let's say, November 2015...I could see how this reunion frenzy would be distracting and unhelpful.  But all we got is a big wad of nada. Again, why NOT a reunion?

Yup... exactly my point. There might be a plan with a new lineup... but we don't know it or what it might be, and we have no clue if its even close to coming in to fruition...

Why not see one of the great rock n roll bands of all time do it big then.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE...FUCKING LOVE...to hear the next album.  But, for whatever reason, putting it out is simply more than Axl, and Team Brazil, can handle. And in a weird way, a reunion tour with Slash seems almost more likely at this point than hearing the second half of Chinese Democracy.

Like most other fans, Appetite was the album that made me love GNR.  I'm nearly 30, so in GNR's heyday I was too young to ever get a chance to see them.  I would absolutely relish the opportunity to see the original forces behind GNR's fame reunited in my lifetime.

Same boat as you.

I'd really be ecstatic with a reunion or CD 2. Both would be asking for too much ha.

The third option of a new tour with two new guitar players and no album release date... Would really test my limits....

I've sen the UYI lineup 3 times with Izzy once in that lineup. The Robin Finck and Bumblefoot era once. The Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba era once. I missed out on Buckethead since it snowed the day I was supposed to go and couldn't get to Madison Square Garden.  Nothing beats the UYI lineup!!!!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »

That's nice.
But the same applies to many who think they have an idea of what really must be going on. Smiley

Oh, believe me...I know.

I go through the same thing, dating Rihanna.  It was a huge undertaking, because I had dated other girls in the past, and how do you recreate something that was so big, right?

But, I had a "plan" and I had a "vision".  I just, you know, got it done.  Some of the stuff we have done together has been amazing.  We have so much to share, but, we're just trying to get the best handle on how to get it all out there.  Lot of balls in the air, believe me.

And, hear me on this, NOTHING is more frustrating than when people doubt anything is actually going on.  Like these people can't fathom there might be facts and schemes they aren't privy to?  Please.  And so what if there is no proof?  Something is wrong with vague assurances, all of the sudden?  We will announce something when we are ready to announce it.

Is that so hard to grasp?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2015, 10:15:34 PM »

I used to be a huge supporter of the new lineup. I was at the new years eve 2001 at Hard Rock Vegas.  CD was kind of a let down for me just because by the time it came out I had heard countless times the leaks, even the final weeks when those last few leaks came (Prostitute, Chinese Democracy, If the World, studio version of Better and Street of Dreams) out so by the time it came out there was just 3 songs I hadn't heard and they were IMO the worst ones. Sorry and This Love and Scraped.
But at this point I would love to see a full on Reunion. I'd like to see Axl get in Shape like Duff and just rip it up with the fellas.  Like Eddie Trunk said they're all still relatively young and you only live once so would be very special to see them all on stage together. 

This is the part where you are usually told that that you "ruined the surprise" and its your own damn fault.

Ultimately...accurate.

But how does that explain the past seven years?  The absurd delay the last time around what because all this had to be built and created.  But you've built it.  You created it.

How is it possible we are going to have what looks like the same absurd delay for this one that we had for the last one?

Over time, interest wanes.  Its human nature. 

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2015, 10:36:06 PM »

This is the part where you are usually told that that you "ruined the surprise" and its your own damn fault.

Ultimately...accurate.

But how does that explain the past seven years?  The absurd delay the last time around what because all this had to be built and created.  But you've built it.  You created it.

How is it possible we are going to have what looks like the same absurd delay for this one that we had for the last one?

Over time, interest wanes.  Its human nature. 

As I am the smartest baseball fan on here I will use it for comparison

Look at the Toronto Blue Jays

They went from a average attendance of roughly 24 thousand I am pretty sure     For years.  Probably the last 10

Now. They are sold out every night.   And not just a normal ball park sell out.  This is 47000 screaming fans!!!  Second biggest in the majors.

Point is

Even though interest fades. 

A hot act sells tickets

Edit to say......

Go Jays!!!!!!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2015, 10:45:11 PM »

But Bacon, don't you see a connection between people so willing to entertain a reunion because of the lack of a compelling alternative?

Look how many people are saying just what he said.  How he liked the new band, supported the new band, but...what does he really have?  He has one album in 15 years and some vague assurances there might, perhaps, maybe, someday...be another one.

You were always going to have people that never bought into any non-Slash line-up and just waited for a miracle.  But each passing year Axl is creating more people more interested in a reunion.  Frustrated new band fans, that would love to have a band to actually follow.

But don't.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2015, 12:37:30 AM »

But Bacon, don't you see a connection between people so willing to entertain a reunion because of the lack of a compelling alternative?

Look how many people are saying just what he said.  How he liked the new band, supported the new band, but...what does he really have?  He has one album in 15 years and some vague assurances there might, perhaps, maybe, someday...be another one.

You were always going to have people that never bought into any non-Slash line-up and just waited for a miracle.  But each passing year Axl is creating more people more interested in a reunion.  Frustrated new band fans, that would love to have a band to actually follow.

But don't.

I get so very tired of certain "fans" whining about "one album in 14 years", I prefer quality over quantity and am ever so glad there are not 14 sub-par wankery albums in 14 years. Quality matters, I am also thankful none of Ron's compilations made it on a GNR album. I don't care for his solo album nor the anarchy album- the only semi bright spot is Weiland, and he has distanced himself from this pre- paid cheese fest.

Also, just an observation- if it was so important for BBF to do the solo thing, why are his setlists made up of so many  GNR songs? Huh
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:40:32 AM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2015, 02:54:25 AM »

I go through the same thing, dating Rihanna. 

Maybe your post has a better place on a Rihanna fan fiction site.

Although I get the analogy, yours is based on pure fantasy.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2015, 06:08:30 AM »

Also, just an observation- if it was so important for BBF to do the solo thing, why are his setlists made up of so many  GNR songs? Huh

Beats the hell out of me.  Ron was just number that came through the neverending revolving door.

Never even heard of the guy before 5/12/2006.  Will give him no thoughts in the future.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »

I go through the same thing, dating Rihanna. 

Maybe your post has a better place on a Rihanna fan fiction site.

Although I get the analogy, yours is based on pure fantasy.

Is it, though?  All due respect, I think you are talking without "the facts".

Its almost time for our big reveal.  We're starting to look very seriously at what we are doing in that regard.

But talk like this makes me question if you are even a real fan of ours, to be honest.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:26 AM »

Fan of your fantasy relationship with Rihanna? You're correct about that.
Also, your track record speaks for itself.  Smiley

/jarmo

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »

Beats the hell out of me.  Ron was just number that came through the neverending revolving door.

Never even heard of the guy before 5/12/2006.  Will give him no thoughts in the future.

Oh my, we agree on Adler AND Ron? The Apocalypse draws nigh  nervous

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: