Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's your viewpoint on a reunion?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your viewpoint on a reunion?  (Read 123028 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:24 PM »

IMHO it would be a defeatist move by both parties if a reunion show were to happen.

Worst case scenario for the fans:  Slash attempts to out-Axl Axl. 
Picture it:  Both parties agree to a reunion show with the understanding that, as owner of the GNR name & whatever, Axl runs the show and has final say on any decisions....  Sold-out stadium.....  Live streaming is up....  Intro starts.... then right as they're about to step onstage, Slash turns to Axl and says "if you don't sign an equal share of the GNR name back over to me, I'm not going on."  Of course, Axl just shrugs his shoulders (if even that), gets back in his helicopter and leaves.

Had I typed this, Emily would have set me on fire.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2015, 10:54:31 AM »

Wouldn't happen. Breach of contract and signing under duress. Slash would be doomed.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

I have limited interest in a reunion at this point. I'm really only onboard if it coincides with new music. If it's just a nostalgia tour where AFD/UYI are played, well I've seen that show. Ticket prices might get me out for a look out of curiosity but that's a big concern. The Loop is claiming that Clear Channel would be willing to put up $500 million for a reunion tour. That's a number that was also floated many years ago, when Axl was supposedly the lone holdout.

My issue is, for a tour like that to be profitable you're looking at $100+ for the cheap seats and $250 down front. Stones prices. Not up for that.

So we'll have to wait and see.

My honest preference is that, were Slash to come back, he just come back as lead. Duff and Tommy could share duties if Duff wants back in. Keep the rest of the lineup intact as is. I don't think Steve is an option and I prefer Frank to Matt anyway. Dizzy is obviously in, Richard is great, and Pittman has no replacent anyway.

Again though new music is key. As a nostalgia act, there's no way I'm interested. If Slash lays down some solos and stuff for CD2 or they can work up some new songs, cool.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »

IMHO it would be a defeatist move by both parties if a reunion show were to happen.

Picture it:  Both parties agree to a reunion show with the understanding that, as owner of the GNR name & whatever, Axl runs the show and has final say on any decisions....  Sold-out stadium.....  Live streaming is up....  Intro starts.... then right as they're about to step onstage, Slash turns to Axl and says "if you don't sign an equal share of the GNR name back over to me, I'm not going on."  Of course, Axl just shrugs his shoulders (if even that), gets back in his helicopter and leaves.

Had I typed this, Emily would have set me on fire.

Haha! Thank you for thinking about me so fondly DgenX Cheesy

Fantasy scenarios are great as long as they aren't presented as truth or fact.

That said, the rumormill seems to be in full swing right now- have heard and read some real whoppers.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »

You're right, that's a worst case scenario, but it also raises interesting questions.  The other 4 original members are going to have serious problems trusting Axl since he is the sole owner and thus runs everything.  It isn't just a matter of Slash, Steven, Duff, or Izzy trying to regain some semblance of ownership, it's a matter of trusting what Axl does with them and the power that he would essentially wield over them.

Their livelihood would once again be subjected to Axl's moods and decisions, which -- in my mind -- is yet another of the trillions of reasons a reunion will never happen.  Even if all 5 original members could actually get together in one room, being able to iron everything out so that ALL of their interests are protected is a completely different matter.

It's like Slash said on GNR's Behind the Music... note the key word highlighted...

No matter how much money they stick in our faces, there's no reason to get together to do anything unless there is some kind of mutual respect or understanding.  And we're way, way far away from that.

And I'm sure that in 2015, we're still way, way far away from it.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »

You're right, that's a worst case scenario, but it also raises interesting questions.  The other 4 original members are going to have serious problems trusting Axl since he is the sole owner and thus runs everything.  It isn't just a matter of Slash, Steven, Duff, or Izzy trying to regain some semblance of ownership, it's a matter of trusting what Axl does with them and the power that he would essentially wield over them.

Their livelihood would once again be subjected to Axl's moods and decisions, which -- in my mind -- is yet another of the trillions of reasons a reunion will never happen.  Even if all 5 original members could actually get together in one room, being able to iron everything out so that ALL of their interests are protected is a completely different matter.

It's like Slash said on GNR's Behind the Music... note the key word highlighted...

No matter how much money they stick in our faces, there's no reason to get together to do anything unless there is some kind of mutual respect or understanding.  And we're way, way far away from that.

I'm sure some legal document would be drawn up prior to a tour that would somehow allow Axl to retain the name based on the 1992 (year?) membership document, but yet somehow puts the core 3 or 4 members (depending on Izzy's involvement) on even footing decision wise during a specified period of time. This would allow for some 'democracy' when it comes to future recording if this (again highly unlikely) tour becomes more...
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »

Original 5 for a few shows and see how it goes

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2015, 06:20:25 PM »

What if this ends up being just Slash joining the current band for an extended tour. Axl, Slash, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy and Chris, there's no new record, they play a few rare songs like Coma and Bad Obsession, and still a few CD songs. Would people still be happy with that?

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »

Doubtful, at least when it comes to the general public.  Especially with Duff and Izzy already being on good / friendly terms with Axl again. Also, as far as pure speculation goes, I don't see Axl having Slash being there without (at least) Duff, too.  And I'm a huge Tommy fan, so I'm especially torn about that actually playing out...thankfully, I just get to wait, and watch.  So so there's more music to come. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:18:22 PM by bazgnr » Logged
fozzie10
Headliner

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2015, 07:14:48 PM »

Thought for awhile it was going to happen and it will happen,sure Slash and Axl do like to tour but the sheer volume of cash that will be made makes sense for all concerned,and no i'd do the same as would you now if any new music (the only way a new guns album will be welcomed in these tighter times is surely with more or less all the members on board)then that would be a bonus.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2015, 12:11:19 PM »

What if this ends up being just Slash joining the current band for an extended tour. Axl, Slash, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy and Chris, would people be happy with that?

Nope, it would seem like too much of a tease.  Fans of the original lineup would be feeling, "if Slash can join them for one tour, why can't there be a full-fledged reunion?  Why are they only doing it half-assed?"
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »

What if this ends up being just Slash joining the current band for an extended tour. Axl, Slash, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy and Chris, would people be happy with that?

Nope, it would seem like too much of a tease.  Fans of the original lineup would be feeling, "if Slash can join them for one tour, why can't there be a full-fledged reunion?  Why are they only doing it half-assed?"

Yes I agree. If Slash and Axl want to play again it would have to be full on will original 5.  I really think it could be like all them playing the Wiskey for a one off show and see how it goes

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »

I long ago accepted that there would never be a reunion and moved on. If one happens, great. If one doesn't, I'm fine with that too. Whatever incarnation of Guns decides to tour I'll try to see them. Either way, I am hoping for new music, per usual.

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »

I would not want to see Tommy and Richard get put aside for Duff and Steven. So to prove my point, fans would complain if its just Axl and Slash lol

Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »

Really?   I think you worry too much.  These are professionals.   
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »

Honestly think some people have lost their tenuous grip on reality lately  confused

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »

Axl doesnt own everything

Axl Owns the name Guns N Roses.  I am sure any trademark money that comes off the name is soley his.   

He owns a equal share of the past music catalog with his former bandmates.

Not sure what he has sole owner ship on Chinease....  If he needs the other players permission to licence things however

Think that sums it up

So if there was going to be a reunion tour.  I am sure profits would just be split equally between all the original guys.  For non original band members.  I am sure they would just be put on a salery
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »

I would be on board if it were being done for the right reasons. Has to be about the music and a celebration of what they accomplished. Went to see Van Halen a couple of weeks ago and it just seemed weird. Knowing what we know about DLR and EVH having virtually no relationship kind of ruins the whole experience. I wouldn't want to see GNR reunite unless it meant something to them rather than a money grab. They have to repair everything behind the scenes before they can even speak of working together again.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2015, 01:22:33 PM »

How could you not be on board....

What would a reunion be getting in the way of?

Who is in the band now? Nobody knows.... So what would it be blocking?

If you KNEW a reunion would shelve Axl's songs with Robin and Bucket for all eternity, then yes I see the issue, but who knows what it would mean for those songs.

So really... any lineup of any kind should be welcomed news considering the departures that took place.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2015, 01:34:05 PM »

How could you not be on board....

What would a reunion be getting in the way of?

Who is in the band now? Nobody knows.... So what would it be blocking?

If you KNEW a reunion would shelve Axl's songs with Robin and Bucket for all eternity, then yes I see the issue, but who knows what it would mean for those songs.

So really... any lineup of any kind should be welcomed news considering the departures that took place.

Agree completely.  We have no concrete reasons to believe the next album is coming "soon", so why the hell not a reunion?  Sure beats twiddling our thumbs.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: