Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:31:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and Slash friends again?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and Slash friends again?  (Read 232055 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #560 on: August 27, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »

well a video is important to know their faces. I always remember seeing videos of the old line up when gn'r is on the road, because tv stations don't really use bootlegs to show a band, so they gotta go back to 1993 to see a video, and the guys in the video aren't in the band.

People complain when old video clips are used for promotion.

Yet they complain as if there is some new video being ignored and this is being used in its place. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #561 on: August 27, 2015, 02:56:15 PM »

Because people were sold on Slash way back when.  They got invested, and still care.  The new band was never given that chance.

you're so right! i was just starting to actually like ashba, specially for sixx am, but still i was still warming up to him and bbf totally rocks! i would love to hear him do more in gn'r and apparently so did he, but he has better things to do, which is normal when you don't say much when it comes to writing and releasing music. Axl seems to be ripping these guys from making music, even slash, matt and duff felt the same when they showed him what they were writing in 1995 for gn'r and axl's comment was:" i think we got a good verse there somewhere" this is about control and who's in charge. Now Axl actually is in charge but he doesn't release new music..

I just hope the guy isn't sick or something, he doesn't really seem all that healthy, at least he didn't when the tour ended.

Chinese Democracy!
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #562 on: August 27, 2015, 03:05:48 PM »

You mentioned Videos multiple times, in the current climate how important do you really think videos are?

Not nearly what they once were, obviously.

But they still get noticed through social media.  Our band's social media outreach shows us pictures of ill advised tattoos on what I have to hope were very drunk fans.

Is there anything you actually honestly enjoy about GNR or is it merely an avenue so you can complain and offer unsolicited amateur advice about? Sincere question.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #563 on: August 27, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »

well a video is important to know their faces. I always remember seeing videos of the old line up when gn'r is on the road, because tv stations don't really use bootlegs to show a band, so they gotta go back to 1993 to see a video, and the guys in the video aren't in the band.

Plus official videos have more views than bootlegs on youtube, when mtv was in their hey dey people probably didn't watch as many times videos as they do today and it's also a source of revenue based on clicks, but most importantly it says a lot about the identity of the band and product they wanna put out. it's a not a coincidence that afd and everything related to the old line up still sells so much, mostly because the new band never did enough to produce a really different identity, one record, that's it.

I respect not putting out videos, but i don't think this was necessarily a stand agains't videos, maybe just not caring? because the video from better actually exists, and it def sucks so i understand the decision, but for a band this big that was known for their epic videos, not even produce one? seems strange, it doesn't add up and it doesn't help the band either.

How does the Better video "suck" in your opinion?

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #564 on: August 27, 2015, 03:13:25 PM »

Is there anything you actually honestly enjoy about GNR or is it merely an avenue so you can complain and offer unsolicited amateur advice about? Sincere question.

I enjoy many things about GNR.

But I can't lie and say the past few years haven't been a little lean on that front.

And now...what doe we even have right now?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:15:55 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #565 on: August 27, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »

How does the Better video "suck" in your opinion?

I liked it, to be honest.

It showed the (at the time) current band doing their thing.  I wish it had been released.

MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #566 on: August 27, 2015, 03:17:07 PM »

ahah i knew i was gonna take heat for it, but i actually love chinese and every member in it, chinese is my favorite record, at least its the one i listen to the most and that still keeps me interested.

This isn't attacking my favourite band it's just trying to reason why they don't release more music. my only frustration is simple:

One record, multiple musicians over 15 years.

But i'm still here and interested, it didn't make me stop wanting to know about them or enjoying their music, but it's like the big elephant in the room and i feel like talking about it. nothing really deep or relevant and def not an attack on anyone, i really don't know the answer, i was just thinking out loud.

Chinese Democracy!
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #567 on: August 27, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »

But I can't lie and say the past few years haven't been a little lean on that front.

And now...what doe we even have right now?

It has been said that the band will continue forward, future plans are being made.

Patience is a virtue.

"Shut the fuck up."
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #568 on: August 27, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »

Last night, I went to see AC/DC for the third time at Metlife Stadium. Great concert! I'm hoping that next summer will be Guns N' Roses at Metlife.
Shiek
Opening Act

« Reply #569 on: August 27, 2015, 06:08:04 PM »

Whether it's true or not, what's best for Axl Rose is what I want. If eliminating negative thoughts with Slash makes for a less stressful life, then by all means I support it. I can't help but remember all of the times Slash sued Axl Rose though...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #570 on: August 27, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »

They were never a true stadium act in the U.S.  Very few acts are.

Your words.

But they still are in certain countries. Doesn't it say something about your country?

I would base it on name recognition first and foremost, you can pretty easily gauge who is more popular if you ask simply ask who is -------? If you polled 100 people Family Feud Style and asked the name of the lead guitar player for Guns N' Roses who do you think Steve Harvey would see on the board when asked to see the number one answer?

So, if GN'R 1987 model were around today, you think people would know all the band members' names?
Considering there's no MTV that has a monopoly on what is cool and what's not.

You do remember that once Izzy was out, people assumed Gilby was Izzy right? And this was in 1992...

Do you think the regular rock fans can name all the members of say Bon Jovi? Metallica? U2?
All popular bands that changed a few, or no, members over decades....

How do we measure popularity? We have a great example right here. Slash gave an interview to some Swedish paper. He said a few words. Those words could mean little or a huge lot, too early to tell. Yet there was an earthquake, not only around forums but all over the media.

The other side of the coin, Richard said  that there are great things coming up next year, few people care despite the fact that he might be telling the truth

FYI, things that Richard, Dizzy and Dj said  in the past, did end up in the newspapers over here (up here in the north). Obviously that reunion is a bigger deal, because it's relating to something people remember, but the fact remains, there's been interest in the band even without that kind of news.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #571 on: August 27, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »

Why not give some examples to those people who wonder? Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #572 on: August 27, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »

Maybe i'm the oddball, now (probably!), or maybe i'm just getting old.

But I can't name all the members of neon trees, or fall out boy, or maroon 5 (other than adam levine), or Foo Fighters.

And i own, and love, a bunch of albums by those bands.....and they are huge bands right now.

Yet, back in the 90's, i could identify members of Nirvana, Pearl jam, gnr, aerosmith, def leppard, ac/dc, etc.....no problem.

Take that for what you will.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #573 on: August 27, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »

Whether it's true or not, what's best for Axl Rose is what I want. If eliminating negative thoughts with Slash makes for a less stressful life, then by all means I support it. I can't help but remember all of the times Slash sued Axl Rose though...

Hi bud, welcome to the forums! I agree about his happiness and feel it's important to remember that these are real people we are talking about and not cartoon characters or fairy god mothers made to grant our wishes or fit our particular little narratives. It is important to hope for their happiness as people first and foremost. If somewhere along the line they do something that makes us happy, then good for us. Otherwise, I don't see how anything they could do should make me too unhappy because I basically have nothing To do with them in the real world. If they want to get together or release a cd, that's their business. If not, that's still their business. Either way, I hope they do what they want and not what other people want them to do.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #574 on: August 27, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »

So, if GN'R 1987 model were around today, you think people would know all the band members' names?
Considering there's no MTV that has a monopoly on what is cool and what's not.

You do remember that once Izzy was out, people assumed Gilby was Izzy right? And this was in 1992...

Do you think the regular rock fans can name all the members of say Bon Jovi? Metallica? U2?
All popular bands that changed a few, or no, members over decades....

/jarmo

I would say that the lack of a product like MTV would be a fair criticism of a comparison, but being that it is an already established band with a rich history I think it is fair to assume that people would be able to continue to follow their 'membership' if there were strong interest(on social media and the like), BUT that till doesn't address the popularity of the music. I get your point that CD outsold (by 500,000 albums) TSI, but that was a specific project and people know it was a cover album of nearly unknown deep cut punk tracks... While CD has sold 5.5 million copies world wide since 2008 you would be hard pressed to find many casual rock fans that could name more than a few songs off of it (and I think 'a few' is being generous).

While some people whiffed on Gilby, they could at the time name 60% of the band (Axl, Duff, Slash, and Matt).

Today I would say that most people could name 3 members of Metallica, and 2 members of U2... Bon Jovi is a wild card, if Ritchie were still around I would say 2 (beyond that I don't know if I could make it much past Jon, Ritchie, and Tico)... I don't think the same group could name more than Axl in the current lineup (or the 20124 version to give them more guesses...)

In typing this response I feel like I also need to say... As much as Slash isn't the only member responsible for making the 'original' line up popular, the new members themselves aren't the biggest issue either. The long delay, the iffy VMA performance, the cancelled kickoff show for the US tour and the final collapse of the tour in PA all contributed to the slow start that kept them out of the spotlight a little too.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #575 on: August 27, 2015, 08:32:01 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/flashback-guns-n-roses-play-final-show-before-mysterious-hiatus-20150827

It seems to me that previous versions of the line-up are getting more press now than they did when they were active members...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:51:58 PM by bazgnr » Logged
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #576 on: August 27, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »

But I can't name all the members of neon trees, or fall out boy, or maroon 5 (other than adam levine), or Foo Fighters.

And i own, and love, a bunch of albums by those bands.....and they are huge bands right now.

Yet, back in the 90's, i could identify members of Nirvana, Pearl jam, gnr, aerosmith, def leppard, ac/dc, etc.....no problem.

This is probably an age thing too... Should Neon Trees and Fall Out Boy be popular? I know the bass player from Fall Out Boy married Ashley Simpson, but that's it...
Foo Fighters I can pretty much rattle off Dave, Taylor and Pat (not sure if he is an official member), and honestly Maroon 5 is almost like 'The Adam Levine Band' the way he is marketed over the other members... I can tell you the guitar player is James Valentine (because he is an insanely talented player and songwriter)...

BUT, I am seeing your point... However the core of the original lineup transcends these problems, they already have the household name.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #577 on: August 27, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »

This is probably an age thing too... Should Neon Trees and Fall Out Boy be popular? I know the bass player from Fall Out Boy married Ashley Simpson, but that's it...
Foo Fighters I can pretty much rattle off Dave, Taylor and Pat (not sure if he is an official member), and honestly Maroon 5 is almost like 'The Adam Levine Band' the way he is marketed over the other members... I can tell you the guitar player is James Valentine (because he is an insanely talented player and songwriter)...

BUT, I am seeing your point... However the core of the original lineup transcends these problems, they already have the household name.

Agree.

They ARE popular, though. do you think most of the fanbase...not the hardcores, the "regular" fans" can name more than a member or two? I'm not so sure they can.

So the thing is: when saying you remember the core from back in the 90s vs people not knowing the current lineups (2002 - 2014), how much is that the paradigm shift in the industry (see my example) vs apathy?

I can't answer that question. It might be some of both, or all of one, or the other. It's impossible to tell. Its like live concert sales in the US, and even album sales, comparisons. Soooooooo much has changed, its hard to make compelling cases, because you just can't make concrete attributions given the industry changes.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:59:30 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #578 on: August 27, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »

I've been a Guns fan
Since 1987
I loved that lineup.

It changed with the times
But it's still Guns n' Roses.
It's Axl's baby.

Reunion with Slash
I find no more exciting
Then a Finck return

Or Brain coming back,
Or if Satriani joined
Or zombie Hendrix.

New music's my choice
Member comings and goings
Mean little to me

Unless they foretell
The clearing out of deadwood
That blocks a release.

Reunion right now,
Or music that's new to me
Seeing light at last?

New music.  No doubt.
There's not even a contest
In my silly head.

Splash

/Mike

***Haiku Mode OFF***
Realized this may fit better in a different thread I saw but I'm really tired after trying to make contingency plans to keep my radio station on the air with the possibility of hurricane impact in a few days...I'm dead center in the path at the moment!  Apologies if this is misplaced.
***Haiku Mode ON***
Like some Sinatra?
Legendsradio.com
Visit the classics!!! 😎😜

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #579 on: August 27, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »

Agreed.  New music trumps everything, as long as Axl remains.  That said, it's undeniable what a return of any of the Appetite/Illusion era members would do for the band itself in terms of renewed interest with the general public, not to mention the music and concert industries. 

Whatever it takes to inspire Axl to create and perform to the point where he *wants* us to hear more music.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: