Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and Slash friends again?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and Slash friends again?  (Read 232120 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #520 on: August 27, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »

So, has anyone remotely linked to the GNR camp commented anything about this whole soap opera? It's been almost a week...  Huh

By the way, I find it really sad that the discussion here has been so negative when we should really be celebrating that what seemed impossible is now a little less so... I mean, which real GNR fan wouldn't want to see the real band playing live again?  yes

Well, what can they really say at this point?

The second you say something, and that something is not "reunion tour to follow", you will be hounded.

Not saying anything is actually your only real defense.

However, if there truly is nothing to hope for, a quick confirmation saying that yes, you have been talking, but no, there are no reunion plans would not be the dumbest move.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #521 on: August 27, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »

Three years since my last post...and I'm still on HTGTH payroll Tongue

Jokes aside, I have not posted in a while but I've been reading...exciting times ahead and I thought I chime in.

Lennon and Macca were both genius minds. Axl is a genius mind, Slash is not. And i think not even the most hardcore/blind Slash fan can deny this.

Probably. Probably not. That's your opinion. It's not a fact. I'm one of the greatest (if not the greatest) fans Axl will ever have. Really. However, I'm not blind. Slash is one of the best guitarist of all time and if that does not make him a genius...what does?

It's simple: people may like or not what Axl has been doing with GNR since the ''not-original-but-we-call-it-original-anyway'' lineup broke up. Anyone can notice he went for new paths, new sounds, new styles, new kind of players. That, to start with, is choosing the hard path over the easy one. And that's something to respect. A lot. He could have sold way more number of copies, and sell way more tickets if he continued to easy path, the one Slash chose (and failed).

Agreed. One thing we can't deny is Axl chose the path that felt right for him. Whether or not was the smartest move it's debatable to say the least.

But, still, the one moving the masses of fans is Axl. Nobody cares about Slash, unless he's next to Axl, and that's the truth even if it hurts someone. The only way Slash has to be in everyone's mouthes is with the reunion speculation. If there is an announce right now about a new GNR record, this forum and all the others would be in a revolution, and no one would be discussing Slash's solo life.

I'm not really on the same page here. Slash has done fairly well over the years. He's had a few successful runs by himself and/or with other musicians. One could argue that the quality of the material he's released as a solo artist has not been earth-shattering, but to say his solo efforts have been shit is not really fair.

What I mean is: Slash suffers of Axldependency to exist in a large scale. Axl clearly doesn't need him. Not to creat extraordinary music, not to sell tickets, not to be respected, not to anythin. And the first person to be aware of this in the world is... Axl. That's why I wouldn't hold my breath for a reunion. Not gonna happen if Axl is in a at least ''decent'' psychiatric state.

Axl owns the GNR name and he's still in GNR. The name itself is a hot ticket still. Slash chose to depart and I believe he's done well over the years. He's now touring with MK and filling up arenas in Europe. He's is playing in Madrid at the Barclays arena pretty soon. If people didn't really care about Slash, I don't think he would be in a position to fill up those arenas.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #522 on: August 27, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »

I might be a little slow to the uptake, because I took a bit of a break from this site from 2013 until a few weeks ago (with a single random post in 2014), but is DGenerationX, 'D' or Donnie from TN?

"D" at one point had as many posts as Jarmo. He's not posted in a while (probably longer than it's taken me to post again).

DX reminds of a poster called Booker Floyd. I actually thought it was him since they were both from the same area and both had a very similar writing style.
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #523 on: August 27, 2015, 10:23:43 AM »

Bands don't change their names or their identities based on the opinions and likes of a bunch of whiny ''fans''. Is this discussion being held in other bands message forums? Are there people claiming ''The Division Bell'' is not a Pink Floyd album but a ''new Pink Floyd'' album? are the fans of AC/DC, Kiss and Metallica discussing this shit? or are we the only retarded ones?

Though I tend to loathe this argument and feel its used as a crutch, in this case, it applies.

No one is quite like Guns N' Roses.  No other big time band has ever had this set of circumstances.

It should be something very simple to understand!

I clearly DO NOT want Axl to reunite with Slash, but if this reunion happens, I will have to decide if I'll keep being a fan of the band, based in the new music this new (or old) lineup creates.

What I would never do, because it's an absolute nonsense, is denying this hypothetical new lineup the status of ''Guns N' Roses''. It will be GNR. If i thought otherwise, I would be a case for a psychiatrist.

I really don't get your hatred for Slash. Did he do something to you?? The original lineup brought great music and created the Guns N' Roses name. If it wasn't for the original lineup, you wouldn't have CD. Lastly, the level of production hasn't been matched since  the UYI lineup ended.

Where do you see ''hate'' in my words?

Why don't you try to join the peaceful conversation/discussion we're having here without asking silly/personal questions?

Lennon and McCartney fucking hated each other for years after their break-up.  They got things back to civil discourse, but never did any work together again.

Lennon and Macca were both genius minds. Axl is a genius mind, Slash is not. And i think not even the most hardcore/blind Slash fan can deny this.

It's simple: people may like or not what Axl has been doing with GNR since the ''not-original-but-we-call-it-original-anyway'' lineup broke up. Anyone can notice he went for new paths, new sounds, new styles, new kind of players. That, to start with, is choosing the hard path over the easy one. And that's something to respect. A lot. He could have sold way more number of copies, and sell way more tickets if he continued to easy path, the one Slash chose (and failed).

But, still, the one moving the masses of fans is Axl. Nobody cares about Slash, unless he's next to Axl, and that's the truth even if it hurts someone. The only way Slash has to be in everyone's mouthes is with the reunion speculation. If there is an announce right now about a new GNR record, this forum and all the others would be in a revolution, and no one would be discussing Slash's solo life.

What I mean is: Slash suffers of Axldependency to exist in a large scale. Axl clearly doesn't need him. Not to creat extraordinary music, not to sell tickets, not to be respected, not to anythin. And the first person to be aware of this in the world is... Axl. That's why I wouldn't hold my breath for a reunion. Not gonna happen if Axl is in a at least ''decent'' psychiatric state.

Esteban You really don't have a clue.  I'm not even a huge Slash fan but your comments are like negative, warped, and bordering on fanatical.  You are living in an evil fantasy land if you believe your own nonsense.   Gives me more motivation to spend time with my son and make sure he stays grounded in a reality.   I can't believe how ugly GNR fans can project themselves sometimes.   It's why I spend more time actually listening to the music than reading  assanine  statements.   
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #524 on: August 27, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »

I might be a little slow to the uptake, because I took a bit of a break from this site from 2013 until a few weeks ago (with a single random post in 2014), but is DGenerationX, 'D' or Donnie from TN?

I'm not sure what "TN" is, but no, I am not that person.

I've been on GNR boards for over a decade, but never really came here until 2013 because everyone led me to believe the place was run like North Korea without the whimsy.  But I have found the description of the site and its practices to be rather exaggerated.

It's just funny reading through older discussions that I was involved with him in... you have very similar interests (Wrestling and Bon Jovi) and I saw you started to post under this name around the time he stopped showing up. TN was the state he was from.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #525 on: August 27, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »

GNR existed before Slash and existed after he quit.

Not in any sort of public consciousness though, before or after.  Which I believe was his point.

Misleading statement-
I realize your goal is to paint GNR in the worst possible light but you have to stop posting your opinion as fact.

You have already been told you are wrong about most of the things you post.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #526 on: August 27, 2015, 10:25:50 AM »

"D" at one point had as many posts as Jarmo. He's not posted in a while (probably longer than it's taken me to post again).

DX reminds of a poster called Booker Floyd. I actually thought it was him since they were both from the same area and both had a very similar writing style.

I forgot to add Booker to my post
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #527 on: August 27, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »

I realize your goal is to paint GNR in the worst possible light but you have to stop posting your opinion as fact.

They existed as a club band no on had ever heard of pre-Slash.  Post-Slash, they exist as a big name far fewer people still pay attention to.

If you are doing word association, "Guns N' Roses" will always get you "Axl Rose" as the number 1 answer.  But #2 will always be Slash.

Always and forever.  Learn it, live it, love it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #528 on: August 27, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »

I'll have to look this guy up.

Bigger picture, I've never been a believer in multiple accounts or fake names.

I've modded message boards.  The truly unhinged do stuff like that, and it makes the gig a nightmare.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #529 on: August 27, 2015, 10:59:49 AM »

Not in any sort of public consciousness though, before or after.  Which I believe was his point.

Misleading statement-

He's not to far off in this statement and not misleading in any way... When Slash was in the band (not to say this is 100% due to him at all) they were the among the biggest bands in the world, especially during the 1991-1993 timeframe. Since that line up disintegrated the long layoff and revolving lineup has really removed the band from the general mainstream public consciousness (this is much stronger in the US and a lot less prevalent in places like South America).

Again not to say this is Slash related as much as it is Core lineup related. While most hardcore fans recognize the 2001-2002 timeframe as a renaissance  for this band musically, that was when the public started to view GnR as a cartoon of the original band... a lot of that had to do with look... Let's be honest anyone who wants to defend the Predator like braids and baggy football Jerseys as a strong look are lying to themselves. You can think Brian Carroll is the greatest thing to happen to the Guitar since Les Paul himself, but when he was off the left hand side of the stage (from the crowd view) just doing the robot when not playing while wearing his rain coat, kabuki mask, and KFC bucket he hurt the 'look' of the band. Everyone again can think that is superficial, but a lot of people view the original band as having taken the torch from bands like Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones, then suddenly they were on stage in the early 2000's looking like a cross between Slipknot, LimpBizkit, and ICP... they really fixed the 'look' in 2006 when they re-emerged, but it was with another set of new faces over the next few years Bumblefoot (are we serious with the fucking names in this band) took over for Bucket, then shortly after the album finally hits, they tour with someone who replaced a strong contributor to the album (Robin with DJ). Who other than Axl were the public supposed to attach themselves to??? Chris Pittman and his keyboard that is mounted to the stage like a playground hobby horse?

Look I love this band, and pretty much agree with every personnel decision Axl has made along the way (except Buckethead... I just don't get it), and will support them (with some minor criticism along the way) in anything they (Axl) do...

BUT... you can't pretend to think that anything would be bigger in the general publics view than Axl, Slash, and Duff getting back on stage.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #530 on: August 27, 2015, 11:01:22 AM »

I'll have to look this guy up.

Bigger picture, I've never been a believer in multiple accounts or fake names.

I've modded message boards.  The truly unhinged do stuff like that, and it makes the gig a nightmare.
Not saying you were going for a fake name... I just didn't know if there was an account issue and it was easier to continue this way... there were some slight similarities in 'interests', that is all.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #531 on: August 27, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »

Misleading statement-

He's not to far off in this statement and not misleading in any way... When Slash was in the band (not to say this is 100% due to him at all) they were the among the biggest bands in the world, especially during the 1991-1993 timeframe. Since that line up disintegrated the long layoff and revolving lineup has really removed the band from the general mainstream public consciousness (this is much stronger in the US and a lot less prevalent in places like South America).

Again not to say this is Slash related as much as it is Core lineup related. While most hardcore fans recognize the 2001-2002 timeframe as a renaissance  for this band musically, that was when the public started to view GnR as a cartoon of the original band... a lot of that had to do with look... Let's be honest anyone who wants to defend the Predator like braids and baggy football Jerseys as a strong look are lying to themselves. You can think Brian Carroll is the greatest thing to happen to the Guitar since Les Paul himself, but when he was off the left hand side of the stage (from the crowd view) just doing the robot when not playing while wearing his rain coat, kabuki mask, and KFC bucket he hurt the 'look' of the band. Everyone again can think that is superficial, but a lot of people view the original band as having taken the torch from bands like Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones, then suddenly they were on stage in the early 2000's looking like a cross between Slipknot, LimpBizkit, and ICP... they really fixed the 'look' in 2006 when they re-emerged, but it was with another set of new faces over the next few years Bumblefoot (are we serious with the fucking names in this band) took over for Bucket, then shortly after the album finally hits, they tour with someone who replaced a strong contributor to the album (Robin with DJ). Who other than Axl were the public supposed to attach themselves to??? Chris Pittman and his keyboard that is mounted to the stage like a playground hobby horse?

Look I love this band, and pretty much agree with every personnel decision Axl has made along the way (except Buckethead... I just don't get it), and will support them (with some minor criticism along the way) in anything they (Axl) do...

BUT... you can't pretend to think that anything would be bigger in the general publics view than Axl, Slash, and Duff getting back on stage.

Well said . The image of bucket head with his mask and nunchucks and Robins goth look way back when did not do the band any favors in terms of perception.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #532 on: August 27, 2015, 11:09:05 AM »

Well said . The image of bucket head with his mask and nunchucks and Robins goth look way back when did not do the band any favors in terms of perception.

Bucket and Robin's looks were not a help.  Let's be honest, neither was Axl with the braids and the long dreads.  And, not sounding great.

As many have said, suppose 2006 was the first Axl people saw in awhile.  Looking great, sounding great.

This could have been a different story.

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #533 on: August 27, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »

Bands don't change their names or their identities based on the opinions and likes of a bunch of whiny ''fans''. Is this discussion being held in other bands message forums? Are there people claiming ''The Division Bell'' is not a Pink Floyd album but a ''new Pink Floyd'' album? are the fans of AC/DC, Kiss and Metallica discussing this shit? or are we the only retarded ones?

Though I tend to loathe this argument and feel its used as a crutch, in this case, it applies.

No one is quite like Guns N' Roses.  No other big time band has ever had this set of circumstances.

It should be something very simple to understand!

I clearly DO NOT want Axl to reunite with Slash, but if this reunion happens, I will have to decide if I'll keep being a fan of the band, based in the new music this new (or old) lineup creates.

What I would never do, because it's an absolute nonsense, is denying this hypothetical new lineup the status of ''Guns N' Roses''. It will be GNR. If i thought otherwise, I would be a case for a psychiatrist.

I really don't get your hatred for Slash. Did he do something to you?? The original lineup brought great music and created the Guns N' Roses name. If it wasn't for the original lineup, you wouldn't have CD. Lastly, the level of production hasn't been matched since  the UYI lineup ended.

Where do you see ''hate'' in my words?

Why don't you try to join the peaceful conversation/discussion we're having here without asking silly/personal questions?

Lennon and McCartney fucking hated each other for years after their break-up.  They got things back to civil discourse, but never did any work together again.

Esteban You really don't have a clue.  I'm not even a huge Slash fan but your comments are like negative, warped, and bordering on fanatical.  You are living in an evil fantasy land if you believe your own nonsense.   Gives me more motivation to spend time with my son and make sure he stays grounded in a reality.   I can't believe how ugly GNR fans can project themselves sometimes.   It's why I spend more time actually listening to the music than reading  assanine  statements.   

The thing is you're the only one here wasting your ''incredibly valuable'' time bashing me instead or arguing like a grown up dude.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #534 on: August 27, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »

Slash 87-93 hands down greatest guitarrist of all time. period.

I'm all for hyperbole....and I agree Slash is uber talented, and AMONGST the greatest of all time.

But no...just no.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #535 on: August 27, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »

Without Slash...there would have never been a Guns N Roses ok

Wrong. It existed before and after his stint in the band. That's a fact.
You can't argue about that.

You can argue about whether or not they would've become popular without him (or any of the other members), and you can argue about how nobody knew of the band called Guns N' Roses before he joined, that's up to you.
But there was, and is, a GN'R without him...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #536 on: August 27, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »

Misleading statement-

So you are stating the classic lineup was not seen as somewhat cartoony and that started in 2001?

"My favourite cartoon characters are Metallica and SLASH?(Axl, 1989)

The rest of your little dissertation is amusing, it is great you presume to speak for the general public  hihi

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #537 on: August 27, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »

So you are stating the classic lineup was not seen as somewhat cartoony and that started in 2001?

"My favourite cartoon characters are Metallica and SLASH?(Axl, 1989)

The rest of your little dissertation is amusing, it is great you presume to speak for the general public  hihi

Exactly what I assumed your response would be. No surprise... really shame on me for even attempting to imagine you could exit the fantasy world you live in.

The only way to prove this this would be to have a national (US) or international online media outlet run a quick survey related to the band and somehow run it so that the results can't be skewed by the several thousand members of this and similar forums. Ask them questions ranging from Opinions of songs 1987-2008, opinions of members 1987-2014, opinions of concert footage or actual concerts they've attended and do it on a 5 or 10 point favorability rating with 0 meaning they have no knowledge of the song or the member. How anyone can argue that the 'core' 1987-1993 lineup isn't going to take that over the 2001-2014 version(s) in the general 'court of public opinion' by an epic landslide is unfathomable. You can't possibly believe any response you type to the contrary...

What I'm saying in no way is meant to discredit what the new lineups have done creatively via album and live performance over the last 14 years, but the early 'look' and execution of their reemergence into the public consciousness did absolutely nothing to help them... and once they did get some momentum, they would trip up by having a revolving door of members taking away any ability for a casual fan to 'connect' with anyone outside of Axl in a way that would meaningfully push Slash or Duff into the background and allow them to grow as the new face of Guns N' Roses.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:01:13 PM by C0ma » Logged
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #538 on: August 27, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »

Slash was a huge part in what made Guns N' Roses a major band in the first place - otherwise why would anyone be bothered either way about a reunion with him almost twenty years since he left?  This isn't Paul Huge we're talking about.  Robin Finck, even Buckethead - if any of them were to return to GNR, I think most people would still seem them as Not Slash, and any touring (or recording) lineup as Axl Rose Plus People Who Aren't Slash (Or Duff Or Izzy Etc.)   And that's something we're all pretty used to now, at least those of us who still follow the band to the extent that we post on message boards and so on, but I doubt many outside this bubble know the names of any of the members apart from Axl and Dizzy.  There's been so little to help the general public get to know the "new" guys (and we're still using that term for people who have been in the band for a long time now) - to say nothing of consistently released new material that people could get to know and love, there's been no music videos, for instance.  Has there even been a single promotional photoshoot?  I can't think of one, though I may be wrong.   We get interviews with band members every now and then when, which often have GNR questions, but usually arise because they've got a tour or record with one of their other projects.  

You can replace important members of a band, and get the fans to love them.  Think of Dio in Sabbath, for example, Janick Gers in Iron Maiden, or Brian Johnson in AC/DC.  Those guys all had pretty big boots to fill, and managed, more or less.  But getting people to embrace them as equals to the people they replaced takes a lot of work that doesn't seem to have happened with Guns N' Roses.  So we get a general perception, not wholly inaccurate, that Guns N' Roses is now just Axl Plus People Who Aren't Slash Etc.  

And, yeah, we're used to that.  Motorhead is Lemmy Plus Two Other Dudes, Nine Inch Nails is Trent Plus Other Dudes... Guns are now one of those bands, a famous guy plus some other guys who may or may not stick around.  Fair enough, then; but there was a time when that wasn't true, and that's when they had a major impact, produced the majority of their (fairly slim, by major-band standards) back catalogue, and generally shook things up.  It's not surprising that people have a hankering for that again.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #539 on: August 27, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

Nobody said Slash didn't have part in making GN'r what it became.
People are just pointing out the untruth that there was no GN'R without him.

There's no reason to get upset. He joined an existing band.
Nobody said he can't play guitar, nobody said he wasn't important...

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:07:24 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: