Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:24:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and Slash friends again?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and Slash friends again?  (Read 232111 times)
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #500 on: August 26, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »

Bands don't change their names or their identities based on the opinions and likes of a bunch of whiny ''fans''. Is this discussion being held in other bands message forums? Are there people claiming ''The Division Bell'' is not a Pink Floyd album but a ''new Pink Floyd'' album? are the fans of AC/DC, Kiss and Metallica discussing this shit? or are we the only retarded ones?

Though I tend to loathe this argument and feel its used as a crutch, in this case, it applies.

No one is quite like Guns N' Roses.  No other big time band has ever had this set of circumstances.

It should be something very simple to understand!

I clearly DO NOT want Axl to reunite with Slash, but if this reunion happens, I will have to decide if I'll keep being a fan of the band, based in the new music this new (or old) lineup creates.

What I would never do, because it's an absolute nonsense, is denying this hypothetical new lineup the status of ''Guns N' Roses''. It will be GNR. If i thought otherwise, I would be a case for a psychiatrist.

I really don't get your hatred for Slash. Did he do something to you?? The original lineup brought great music and created the Guns N' Roses name. If it wasn't for the original lineup, you wouldn't have CD. Lastly, the level of production hasn't been matched since  the UYI lineup ended.

Where do you see ''hate'' in my words?

Why don't you try to join the peaceful conversation/discussion we're having here without asking silly/personal questions?

Lennon and McCartney fucking hated each other for years after their break-up.  They got things back to civil discourse, but never did any work together again.

Lennon and Macca were both genius minds. Axl is a genius mind, Slash is not. And i think not even the most hardcore/blind Slash fan can deny this.

It's simple: people may like or not what Axl has been doing with GNR since the ''not-original-but-we-call-it-original-anyway'' lineup broke up. Anyone can notice he went for new paths, new sounds, new styles, new kind of players. That, to start with, is choosing the hard path over the easy one. And that's something to respect. A lot. He could have sold way more number of copies, and sell way more tickets if he continued to easy path, the one Slash chose (and failed).

But, still, the one moving the masses of fans is Axl. Nobody cares about Slash, unless he's next to Axl, and that's the truth even if it hurts someone. The only way Slash has to be in everyone's mouthes is with the reunion speculation. If there is an announce right now about a new GNR record, this forum and all the others would be in a revolution, and no one would be discussing Slash's solo life.

What I mean is: Slash suffers of Axldependency to exist in a large scale. Axl clearly doesn't need him. Not to creat extraordinary music, not to sell tickets, not to be respected, not to anythin. And the first person to be aware of this in the world is... Axl. That's why I wouldn't hold my breath for a reunion. Not gonna happen if Axl is in a at least ''decent'' psychiatric state.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #501 on: August 26, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »

God, some people (jarmo) really need to get a life instead of constantly trying to discuss unimportant shit. Its sad really
Interesting you choose to single out jarmo. He certainly isn't arguing with himself. There's a lot of unimportant shit discussed here. The same tired arguments over and over again by many posters. I hate to break it to you, but jarmo has a point. DX made an incorrect statement about no members ever mentioning working on material over the last 10 years, or whatever the comment was. Bottom line, it was wrong. The comeback about it never being released is besides the point. They have worked on music, according to people in the band.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? I mean seriously, are we going down this path? You're right, this is unimportant shit being discussed. But it takes 2 to tango. DX is far from innocent in all this. Let's be fair.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #502 on: August 26, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »

Im not a VR expert, but I am pretty sure after ''contraband'', Slash made sure not letting Weiland have the reins of the band creative-wise so much. And we all agree ''Libertad'' was a huge regression...

And therein lies the problem.

Slash seems to function better, creatively, when "challenged" by another strong creative presence (or, more than one).

But...where possible, he does everything he can to eliminate those challenges, historically.

I'm spitballing here, a lot, but it seems to me Slash doesn't like the conflict that creative process creates, even though it seems to bring out his best, creatively.

But that's just MHO. 

Very interesting point of view. I do agree with you, after thinking it a bit.

Intersting.
I thought it was fairly obvious that the opposite was true.

Slash stepped out of the spotlight on the sophomore album.
Libertad is when Weiland took the reigns. It has his fingerprints all over it.

It's not only NOT obvious: i think you can notice the Weiland influence all over Contraband without the need of a trained ear. If you see Weiland or STPish things in Libertad, I dont know how to continue this conversation. Good to see im not the only one thinking this in this thread...

And I think Contraband is way way better than Libertad just because of that: for being more influenced by Weiland than by Slash. The thing with Libertad is it doesn't sound like STP, it doesn't sound like GNR, it doesn't sound like anything good: just a bunch of mediocre/forgettable/flat/predictable rock and roll songs. At some point, I think that's the habitat Slash enjoys more being at.

Contraband is a very guitar oriented album. Slash?s solos are as much the focal point of the songs as Weiland?s vocals, and probably more so.
On Libertad, Slash?s playing is more reserved, putting the emphasis on Weiland?s vocals/melodies, and the overall compositions.

Either way, Slash and Weiland both played major roles in the creation of both Contraband and Libertad.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #503 on: August 26, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »

Bands don't change their names or their identities based on the opinions and likes of a bunch of whiny ''fans''. Is this discussion being held in other bands message forums? Are there people claiming ''The Division Bell'' is not a Pink Floyd album but a ''new Pink Floyd'' album? are the fans of AC/DC, Kiss and Metallica discussing this shit? or are we the only retarded ones?

Though I tend to loathe this argument and feel its used as a crutch, in this case, it applies.

No one is quite like Guns N' Roses.  No other big time band has ever had this set of circumstances.

I clearly DO NOT want Axl to reunite with Slash, but if this reunion happens, I will have to decide if I'll keep being a fan of the band, based in the new music this new (or old) lineup creates.

What I would never do, because it's an absolute nonsense, is denying this hypothetical new lineup the status of ''Guns N' Roses''. It will be GNR. If i thought otherwise, I would be a case for a psychiatrist.

I really don't get your hatred for Slash. Did he do something to you?? The original lineup brought great music and created the Guns N' Roses name. If it wasn't for the original lineup, you wouldn't have CD. Lastly, the level of production hasn't been matched since  the UYI lineup ended.

Why don't you try to join the peaceful conversation/discussion we're having here without asking silly/personal questions?

Lennon and McCartney fucking hated each other for years after their break-up.  They got things back to civil discourse, but never did any work together again.

Lennon and Macca were both genius minds. Axl is a genius mind, Slash is not. And i think not even the most hardcore/blind Slash fan can deny this.

It's simple: people may like or not what Axl has been doing with GNR since the ''not-original-but-we-call-it-original-anyway'' lineup broke up. Anyone can notice he went for new paths, new sounds, new styles, new kind of players. That, to start with, is choosing the hard path over the easy one. And that's something to respect. A lot. He could have sold way more number of copies, and sell way more tickets if he continued to easy path, the one Slash chose (and failed).

But, still, the one moving the masses of fans is Axl. Nobody cares about Slash, unless he's next to Axl, and that's the truth even if it hurts someone. The only way Slash has to be in everyone's mouthes is with the reunion speculation. If there is an announce right now about a new GNR record, this forum and all the others would be in a revolution, and no one would be discussing Slash's solo life.

What I mean is: Slash suffers of Axldependency to exist in a large scale. Axl clearly doesn't need him. Not to creat extraordinary music, not to sell tickets, not to be respected, not to anythin. And the first person to be aware of this in the world is... Axl. That's why I wouldn't hold my breath for a reunion. Not gonna happen if Axl is in a at least ''decent'' psychiatric state.

Slash is every bit as talented a guitarist, as Axl is a frontman.
They both find themselves in the weekly ?best of all time? lists.

Slash is very well respected in the industry, and his name is as relevant today as it ever was.
You would be hard pressed to name a guitarist that has remained as successful as he after leaving the band in which he made his name.
He?s just as relevant today, and in some if not all cases, more so than legends like Perry, Taylor, Page, Beck, Clapton etc.

While you may wish his popularity was directly tied to Axl, he?s proven that not to be the case over the past 19 years finding success with VR, as a solo act and most recently with MK&TC.

Meanwhile, during that 19 year span, Axl has released one album full of songs you won?t be hearing on the radio today, and toured the world many times over with set lists built around songs helped made famous by Slash.

So while neither Slash or Axl have since sniffed the heights they were able to reach together, your post would probably be closer to the truth if you flip flopped Slash for Axl.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #504 on: August 26, 2015, 10:09:11 PM »

With all due respect to slash he is an amazing guitarist and will never try to down play his abilities or talents as a guitarist. I thought the snakepit stuff was pretty good and velvet revolver was even better and I think that was due to the talent he had around him not just scott but duff, dave and matt. now this is just my opinion but his last couple albums with myles I don't like I just don't like myles voice whatsoever. What would be really cool is if Axl n Slash pulled off their own version of Page and Plant from years back do something separate from guns n roses.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #505 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:48 PM »

Looking at this thread take off over the past few days made me a little nostalgic for some of the past reunion threads that have taken place since the board started in this form back in 2002... It is funny to see the same arguments year after year since 2002, especially seeing the 'participants' over the years. It really makes me miss some of the members that have fallen off the board over the last decade and a half (BurningHills, dark, MikeG, SLC, among others). If you've been around since the beginning and haven't done this, I recommend you lose yourself in 'show posts' under your profile and start with the first post (that still exists).

I might be a little slow to the uptake, because I took a bit of a break from this site from 2013 until a few weeks ago (with a single random post in 2014), but is DGenerationX, 'D' or Donnie from TN?

ANYWAY... back to the regularly scheduled programing...

Outside of all of the talk about songwriting, I think the part of the original band that I miss the most... Is the guitar tone. I know the people who 'came up' with the newer lineups might feel the same way about Robin, but IMO there is almost no guitar player that you can immediately identify within a few notes just based on their tone like you can with Slash. I always thought the newer lineup relied far to heavily on a lot of effects and preamp distortion that creates a muddier tone. There was just something about the mix of Axl's rasp and Slash's tone that just went together like peanut butter and jelly.

I do have to wonder though how much of that 'tone' that Robin had is based on his normal setup, or is it something that Axl and the engineers 'forced' based on a sound they were looking for, and is that something they may look for from Slash is there were (and I still think it is unlikely) a reunion.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:31:41 PM by C0ma » Logged
Gibbo27
Opening Act

« Reply #506 on: August 26, 2015, 11:34:32 PM »

Yeah slash took the easy path he released 1 album in 20 years and toured afd and uyi since 2001
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:08:51 AM by Gibbo27 » Logged
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #507 on: August 26, 2015, 11:41:39 PM »

Not to dive into too much back history but in 2011 they played up to 8 CD songs a show, and plus what band doesn't play all of their most famous hits when they tour ....

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #508 on: August 27, 2015, 01:44:18 AM »

man you're overating axl rose. He's far from genious, he needs a lot of cooperation too in tje music writing process. Is a great music engineer and a very good lyricist, he can takes music pieces and put them together. It's a tough work, but not genious work. He lacks the vision, the portrait of his entire work. Genious don't take inspiration from other people but give inspiration. He has a tone of others big skills i wont list here but thats it. And sorry, he can't move masses, maybe more people than slash, but not masses. And he moves more people than slash using the gnr monicker. And we often forget gnr was a band, not a solo thing. And that's why milions of people lost interest in gnr.musically I love axl more than slash, but history was made by 5 people all togheter.
DRK
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #509 on: August 27, 2015, 01:50:29 AM »

Check out the retweet from Duff's lady Susan  Wink

https://twitter.com/SuHolmesMcKagan
Princess Leia
« Reply #510 on: August 27, 2015, 01:53:12 AM »

But it is about musical preferences. I don?t like Slither and Set Me Free at all. I also take IRS over those VR songs. But I stick with the songs I listed over IRS.
Hey! There are people who love Bad Apples and Don?t Cry (Alt. Lyrics)

Fuck, I love Bad Apples.

Fuck, I love Don?t Damn Me. That?s my Axl  Grin
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #511 on: August 27, 2015, 02:20:52 AM »

But it is about musical preferences. I don?t like Slither and Set Me Free at all. I also take IRS over those VR songs. But I stick with the songs I listed over IRS.
Hey! There are people who love Bad Apples and Don?t Cry (Alt. Lyrics)

Fuck, I love Bad Apples.

Fuck, I love Don?t Damn Me. That?s my Axl  Grin

Great great song!
Brundle25
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #512 on: August 27, 2015, 03:06:35 AM »

Check out the retweet from Duff's lady Susan  Wink

https://twitter.com/SuHolmesMcKagan

Susan always gives 'subtle' hints via Twitter. Curiously, One of Tommys last retweets was just in relation to his 'one man mutiny' taking place. Why reference that again?
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #513 on: August 27, 2015, 03:40:33 AM »

The only thing I got out of Susan posting that is that they're getting along.

She also posted her daughter is out of critical care and home recovering.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:29 AM »

I might be a little slow to the uptake, because I took a bit of a break from this site from 2013 until a few weeks ago (with a single random post in 2014), but is DGenerationX, 'D' or Donnie from TN?

I'm not sure what "TN" is, but no, I am not that person.

I've been on GNR boards for over a decade, but never really came here until 2013 because everyone led me to believe the place was run like North Korea without the whimsy.  But I have found the description of the site and its practices to be rather exaggerated.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #515 on: August 27, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »

Not to dive into too much back history but in 2011 they played up to 8 CD songs a show, and plus what band doesn't play all of their most famous hits when they tour ....

Exactly, the shows are geared toward the people actually attending, not some nerds on the internet. Of course they include the hits people are familar with.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
SOLGER
Rocker

LIVE N? LET DIE

« Reply #516 on: August 27, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »

Without Slash...there would have never been a Guns N Roses ok

Having said that..since his departure from GNR there is only a hand full of decent songs he came up with.

I believe Axl pulled the best out of him...the chemistry between those two. Since then they have not been able to create anything of substance..not even close.. in their solo careers.

Not even Sloppy Finck a previous circus guitarrist.

Slash 87-93 hands down greatest guitarrist of all time. period.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:31:58 AM by SOLGER » Logged

Live N' Let Die
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #517 on: August 27, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »

Without Slash...there would have never been a Guns N Roses ok

Having said that..since his departure from GNR there is only a hand full of decent songs he came up with.

I believe Axl pulled the best out of him...the chemistry between those two. Since then they have not been able to create anything of substance..not even close.. in their solo careers.

Not even Sloppy Finck a previous circus guitarrist.

Slash 87-93 hands down greatest guitarrist of all time. period.

GNR existed before Slash and existed after he quit.

I would term Finck more than "a circus guitarist"

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #518 on: August 27, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »

GNR existed before Slash and existed after he quit.

Not in any sort of public consciousness though, before or after.  Which I believe was his point.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
overmatik
« Reply #519 on: August 27, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »

So, has anyone remotely linked to the GNR camp commented anything about this whole soap opera? It's been almost a week...  Huh

By the way, I find it really sad that the discussion here has been so negative when we should really be celebrating that what seemed impossible is now a little less so... I mean, which real GNR fan wouldn't want to see the real band playing live again?  yes
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: