Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:36:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and Slash friends again?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and Slash friends again?  (Read 232283 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #400 on: August 25, 2015, 11:07:08 PM »

I am absolutely sure Axl can create good music under any circunstances, no matter what, so I'm pretty sure I will like whatever comes from a band that has him inside.

The question is: what scenario do I prefer? I prefer the way Axl was doing things in the past. BBF was an inevitable regression, because replacing Buckethead is just impossible. The addition of Ashba was a HUGE regression. Robin is an outstanding musician, hard to replace, but there were better options for sure. And Slash is gonna be IMO the biggest regression of all. I went to see Slash last year and it was the first time in my life I've heard GNR songs and felt like ''meh''... every time I hear new Slash songs I see him trying to repeat the past over and over but he hasn't what it takes to do it properly, like AC/DC does, for example. His solo albums are boring as hell. I just dont want GNR to take that path!

Very interesting.

I am also such an Axl fan, I'm pretty much going to be interested in anything he's doing.

And, I must admit, I like Slash's solo stuff, but it does not blow me away.  I hear all his stuff with Myles and just can't help but to compare it to Axl.  

Myles loses.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #401 on: August 25, 2015, 11:15:21 PM »

OK, suppose you are a fan of the old band.  You also like the new band.

Are the two mutually exclusive?  If the old band cranked it back up again, how are you not onboard?

There are 2 things I am considering:

- Slash did a lot of harm to Guns N' Roses, the band I am fan and went to see 16 times.
- IMO, time has prooved that Slash was a hand brake to Axl's creativity. He is an average player/writer, Axl is brilliant, and I think Axl should surround himself with other brilliant musicians like he did until 2006 (Brain, Bucket, Richard, Robin, Chris, the best examples).

I am absolutely sure Axl can create good music under any circunstances, no matter what, so I'm pretty sure I will like whatever comes from a band that has him inside.

The question is: what scenario do I prefer? I prefer the way Axl was doing things in the past. BBF was an inevitable regression, because replacing Buckethead is just impossible. The addition of Ashba was a HUGE regression. Robin is an outstanding musician, hard to replace, but there were better options for sure. And Slash is gonna be IMO the biggest regression of all. I went to see Slash last year and it was the first time in my life I've heard GNR songs and felt like ''meh''... every time I hear new Slash songs I see him trying to repeat the past over and over but he hasn't what it takes to do it properly, like AC/DC does, for example. His solo albums are boring as hell. I just dont want GNR to take that path!

It would be interesting to see if you could stick to your Guns and stop following the band if Slash were to rejoin.  Of course, we all know you would not.   If he is so evil, please save yourself. 
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #402 on: August 25, 2015, 11:17:32 PM »

to clarify my point......Waters was way more important than Gilmour to Pink Floyd. Axl wasn't
quite Waters, but he was damn close.

Would be hard to sell a Guns N' Roses without him.

I totally agree on this.  Axl is by one of the most polarizing in terms of lead singers.  There is truly no one that has that level.  Van Halen or M?tley Cr?e never hit the level that guns did in the illusion years.  

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #403 on: August 25, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »

Are the two mutually exclusive?  If the old band cranked it back up again, how are you not onboard?

- Slash did a lot of harm to Guns N' Roses, the band I am fan and went to see 16 times.
- IMO, time has prooved that Slash was a hand brake to Axl's creativity. He is an average player/writer, Axl is brilliant, and I think Axl should surround himself with other brilliant musicians like he did until 2006 (Brain, Bucket, Richard, Robin, Chris, the best examples).

It would be interesting to see if you could stick to your Guns and stop following the band if Slash were to rejoin.  Of course, we all know you would not.   If he is so evil, please save yourself. 

The band is always better with slash.  And I felt such passion for 2010-2014 Guns, but they left.  Axl is young enough!
2016 here we come.
Who will axl piece together for this next round.

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #404 on: August 25, 2015, 11:21:31 PM »

Oh please, show me where he used the word 'evil'.  Roll Eyes

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #405 on: August 25, 2015, 11:31:03 PM »

''Stop following the band'' would not be ''sticking to my Guns''. I have tickets to see Queen + Adam Lambert, already went to see Queen + Paul Rodgers, and i still think Freddie is unreplaceable and that Queen could be a much better band if they were less a ''nostalgic'' band. I bought the ticket because I still enjoy listening to the classic Queen songs. Is it so hard to understand?

I attended the whole 2011 SA tour, and then in 2014 attended 6 shows, to see a band that IMO was not at it's best version. So you can easily guess I still can attend an hypothetic ''reunited GNR'' despite feeling it's GNR's worst scenario possible. I will enjoy listening to WTTJ and SCOM as lons as Axl sings them, and I will pay to see Axl even if he plays next to Miley fucking Cyrus.

What you will NEVER see me is denying the band it's Guns N' Roses name/status. That's sticking to my guns to me.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #406 on: August 25, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »

yet here she is... still stamping her feet.  Wink

No we are having a discussion, grow up and join us if you are capable.

It's a shame you ran away so upset, sorry you were proven wrong.

It doesn't make good sense to continue to argue with someone who is incapable of seeing another person's opinion. OR... in your case.. arguing with someone who would have reveled in 1930s Nazi Germany because you dont like people have opinions.. certainly ones that dont match your ideals.

Simples really.

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #407 on: August 25, 2015, 11:40:19 PM »

''Stop following the band'' would not be ''sticking to my Guns''. I have tickets to see Queen + Adam Lambert, already went to see Queen + Paul Rodgers, and i still think Freddie is unreplaceable and that Queen could be a much better band if they were less a ''nostalgic'' band. I bought the ticket because I still enjoy listening to the classic Queen songs. Is it so hard to understand?

I attended the whole 2011 SA tour, and then in 2014 attended 6 shows, to see a band that IMO was not at it's best version. So you can easily guess I still can attend an hypothetic ''reunited GNR'' despite feeling it's GNR's worst scenario possible. I will enjoy listening to WTTJ and SCOM as lons as Axl sings them, and I will pay to see Axl even if he plays next to Miley fucking Cyrus.

What you will NEVER see me is denying the band it's Guns N' Roses name/status. That's sticking to my guns to me.

Slash was a handbreak to Axl's creativity? If you mean... Slash wasnt down to let Axl add a millions synths... and change the complete sound of the band from a rock band to god knows what.. then yeah... he was a handbreak.

I take it from your point of view Axl did no wrong in this period?

As for "Slash is an "average player"??  Shocked

ok... we are worlds apart now.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #408 on: August 25, 2015, 11:55:11 PM »

Slash still writes good music, what as been lacking is the lyrical content. IMO If Axl were given a crack at Fall to Pieces or Anastasia (as isolated examples) they would be hit GnR songs. You also have to wonder over the past several years how many ideas of Slash's have floundered because Myles or Scott weren't the right people to complete those songs... but at the same time... if my Aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle... so it's all conjecture until they start writing again (if they ever do).
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #409 on: August 25, 2015, 11:59:27 PM »

Slash still writes good music, what as been lacking is the lyrical content. IMO If Axl were given a crack at Fall to Pieces or Anastasia (as isolated examples) they would be hit GnR songs. You also have to wonder over the past several years how many ideas of Slash's have floundered because Myles or Scott weren't the right people to complete those songs... but at the same time... if my Aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle... so it's all conjecture until they start writing again (if they ever do).

Weiland is not only a great songwritter but an amazing performer. The best things we got from Slash since he freely abandoned GNR were made in VR with Scott.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2015, 12:05:47 AM »

The Important Here Is:

- New Disc Of Slash In 2016 For Fans Old/New/Guns/Ex

- New Disc Of Guns N' Roses In 2016 + World Tour For Me

peace beer peace

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2015, 12:08:46 AM »

yet here she is... still stamping her feet.  Wink

No we are having a discussion, grow up and join us if you are capable.

It's a shame you ran away so upset, sorry you were proven wrong.

It doesn't make good sense to continue to argue with someone who is incapable of seeing another person's opinion. OR... in your case.. arguing with someone who would have reveled in 1930s Nazi Germany because you dont like people have opinions.. certainly ones that dont match your ideals.

Simples really.

This wasn't a matter of opinion, it was a matter of fact and your clear delusions.

Big difference, and your little attempted spin is amusing. Cheesy

Nazi fetish much?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:17:02 AM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2015, 12:12:13 AM »

Weiland is not only a great songwritter but an amazing performer. The best things we got from Slash since he freely abandoned GNR were made in VR with Scott.

I'm not trying to put down Weiland, I'm just saying that he isn't Axl. There are classic stories of John Lennon and Paul McCartney where they would work on stuff on their own time, or with one of the other members of the band, and get stuck on ideas that were going nowhere... then John brought it to Paul or visa versa and it would come together in minutes. Just look at the musical output of the original lineup in what was essentially a 5-6 year period (85-91).
Princess Leia
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2015, 03:15:35 AM »

Aren't you the first to admit you were wrong?
Oh wait, that's what you say...... Do, don't say!  Smiley

If a Rose/Ashba/Thal track comes out, I will absolutely say I was wrong.

How could I not?  I've been saying for years that there is a better chance of Bigfoot.

If such a composition came out, I would be positively, unequivocally, 100% in the wrong.  That's a zero sum game.

Of course, I'm not too worried about it.  But I will pay that bill if the time comes.

Actually you will still be wrong  Grin

It doesn?t matter who wrote the song. Do you think West Arkeen was real GN?R? He was a friend, a collaborator, a brother to them. But he never was a band member. He didn?t sign a contract with Geffen and he never was a legal partner. Well Finck, Buckethead, DJ, Frank, Richard, Sorum, Gilby, Tracy, Roberta are in the same boat. These new guys are hired to collaborate with Axl and perform on stage with him.

When Slash, Duff and Steven joined Axl and Izzy, did they sign a contract with them? No. Did they get a pay check from them? No. Geffen signed 5 guys not just one. There was partnership made of 5 people.

fra
Opening Act

« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2015, 04:46:46 AM »

Guns N 'Roses classic lineup will be headlining the Soundwave?

Fuel to the fire. In a radio program on August 21, the day before the alleged declaration of Slash who had reconciled with Axl Rose, James Young, owner of a famous bar in Melbourne and in tune with the environment rocker place, let the curious information:

"I heard the most incredible rumor this week, an extremely knowledgeable person from within the Australian music industry, that I spent the headline name (festival) Soundwave next year. We now know that a mysterious band will save the festival and will .? master all the attention That mega band would be this Well, on Wednesday I heard was: Steven Adler, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagen, Slash and Axl Rose, the meeting training 1987's 'Appetite for Destruction' of Guns N 'Roses, you believe it? It's amazing, I spent sleepless nights dreaming about it. "

While it is obviously just a rumor, it is interesting to insist that this happened the day before the interview where Slash talks about Axl Rose

http://whiplash.net/materias/news_800/229125-gunsnroses.html

Slash: New CD year that comes and nothing to celebrate 30 years of "AFD"

http://whiplash.net/materias/news_800/228580-gunsnroses.html

hihi rofl hihi

About one month ago the Soundwave festival promoter dismissed the possibility of an appearance of the AFD lineup when asked via Twitter:
https://twitter.com/iamnotshouting/status/625220913466740736
Q: I've honestly though it might be gunners with slash
A: No. If I ever did GnR with Slash, Izzy & Duff that would be it for me. I'd be done.

Their headliners have been booked for a while and will be announced at the beginning of September I think.

Milan 2006 | London 2006 | Reading 2010 | London 2010 | London 2010 | London 2012 | London 2012 | Dublin 2017 | London 2017
fra
Opening Act

« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2015, 05:18:36 AM »

For anyone thinking that the interview might have been edited in order to twist the message, the interviewer Frasse Levinsson just confirmed via Twitter that it wasn't a "cut and paste" job.

Q: Hey mate. So it wasn't a cut n' paste job? Did Slash actually say what we hear in the video, as an answer to THE question?
A: hey! no, it wasn't. yes he did!

https://twitter.com/FrasseLevinsson/status/636465666707595264

So these kind of blog posts: https://playadelnacho.wordpress.com/2015/08/23/slash-falsa-reconciliacao-com-axl-foi-barrigada-de-jornal-sueco/
that claim the interview was faked and that I have seen google translated over the internet are just unfounded theories.

More on Frasse Levinsson:
https://www.facebook.com/frasse.levinsson
https://twitter.com/FrasseLevinsson
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:37:15 AM by fra » Logged

Milan 2006 | London 2006 | Reading 2010 | London 2010 | London 2010 | London 2012 | London 2012 | Dublin 2017 | London 2017
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2015, 05:52:40 AM »

Aren't you the first to admit you were wrong?
Oh wait, that's what you say...... Do, don't say!  Smiley

If a Rose/Ashba/Thal track comes out, I will absolutely say I was wrong.

How could I not?  I've been saying for years that there is a better chance of Bigfoot.

If such a composition came out, I would be positively, unequivocally, 100% in the wrong.  That's a zero sum game.

Of course, I'm not too worried about it.  But I will pay that bill if the time comes.

Hold on there sailor.

First you make a statement as it's a fact. Then when I supply information for you to take in that shows that your fact is wrong, you change the subject to be about releasing songs with certain former guitar players. That wasn't what you stated first! I highlighted the part that I disagreed with based on the information we all have.

Not one person that has been in this band supports any narrative that anything has new has been done since 2006.  Axl wrote and worked on the same number of songs with DJ & Ron as he did with you, me, and the man in the moon.

Why not admit that you were wrong? What's the big deal?
Why single out Dj and Ron? Because if those two didn't work on anything, it means nobody worked on anything?

Besides, I can't believe people are taking about the name issue again. Wow.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2015, 06:58:41 AM »

Very interesting.

I am also such an Axl fan, I'm pretty much going to be interested in anything he's doing.

And, I must admit, I like Slash's solo stuff, but it does not blow me away.  I hear all his stuff with Myles and just can't help but to compare it to Axl.  

Myles loses.

Since this is more about artistics, than character and such, I'll chime in:

I liked 5 o'clock somewhere.  I didn't love it.  It isn't an all time classic.  It's not in my rotation of "regular" CD's in my car. Nothing from it is in any of my playlists.  But it was alright and I listened to it quite a bit right after it came out.

All his other solo stuff (including the stuff with Myles)? Mired in sameness.  I just don't hear any musical progression.  I hear a guy...a guy who's ability I respect, FYI....being...well...lazy. Maybe lazy's not the right word.  But at least "not pushing himself, creatively, and taking the easy way out".

I also liked Contraband, with VR.  I think that was probably the best stuff he's put out since GnR.  And I suspect it was because he was being pushed, creatively, at least a little bit.  There's still an awful lot of "safe" in there...but the solo work in Slither is excellent, as is some of his other contributions to that album.  But, there is also some "sameness" in there (and, to be clear, I'm not saying "sameness" in the sense of signature style...Slash's stuff is always going to sound like Slash's stuff).

Which makes the prospect of a reunion....interesting...artistically.  Because I think part of pushing Slash, creatively....and getting him a little bit out of his comfort zone and more toward the experimental fringe...is going to create some conflict.  And I think pushing Axl a bit back to a more traditional blues based sound, and away from a more experimental fringe, (and I think that's necessary to get all the players on the same page, creatively) is going to create conflict. That's pretty much what we saw with UYI, I think...a "perfect combination" of Slash's more blues based, traditional rock sound and Axl's experimentation.  And it worked so well.....the band broke up and pretty much hated each other for the better part of 20 years.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »

See..there we disagree.

There is some VR stuff on Contraband that I would agree is relatively well written.

There is some stuff on 5 o'clock somewhere that I would also agree is relatively well written.

Most of the rest?  I think it's very safe, very similar, very...well...boring...musically.  It's...again I go back to lazy, but I'm not sure that's the most appropriate word.  It's just not all that interesting, to me. 

I think he's probably capable of more (and the VR stuff shows glimmers of that) but, IMHO, he doesn't channel it all that well, on his own.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2015, 07:07:37 AM »

Agree, in terms of VR being his best stuff since GnR.

I'm not sure it was Weiland's influence (if it was...then we are in trouble...since you can see what VR did there), entirely, or just the group collaborative that actually challenged him a little bit.  Whatever it is, he hasn't really managed it much before (but post GnR) or after.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: