Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:26:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and Slash friends again?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and Slash friends again?  (Read 232177 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #440 on: August 26, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »

Intersting.
I thought it was fairly obvious that the opposite was true.

Slash stepped out of the spotlight on the sophomore album.
Libertad is when Weiland took the reigns. It has his fingerprints all over it.

See, I disagree.  I struggle to hear his influence, at all.  But then, it's so muddy, I struggle to hear a strong influence from Slash, either.  It's sort of a mess.

I think it just sounds like it?s a bit more cohesive. Not better, but more of a group effort.
I figured Slash, Duff, Matt and Kushner were the driving force behind the heavier sound on Contraband.
Weiland has essentially been drifting further away from heavy since Core, and leaning more towards pop/artsy/experimental.
So maybe with Scott involved from the get go on Libertad, they didn?t write heavier material for Scott to work himself into.

If I had to guess, my money would be on him suggesting the ELO and Talking Heads covers(which I think both came out great).

Of course this is just what I assumed from listening to the records, and admit I don?t have a clue.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #441 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »

If a Rose/Ashba/Thal track comes out, I will absolutely say I was wrong.

How could I not?  I've been saying for years that there is a better chance of Bigfoot.

If such a composition came out, I would be positively, unequivocally, 100% in the wrong.  That's a zero sum game.

Of course, I'm not too worried about it.  But I will pay that bill if the time comes.

Hold on there sailor.

First you make a statement as it's a fact. Then when I supply information for you to take in that shows that your fact is wrong, you change the subject to be about releasing songs with certain former guitar players. That wasn't what you stated first! I highlighted the part that I disagreed with based on the information we all have.

I do not personally believe such a thing exists.  I have no proof of it does, and several indicators it does not.

You also have no proof it does, but your own indicators that it might exist indeed.  Good for you, if that works for you.

I am of the opinion nothing new has been written, recorded, or worked on in a long time, and any new album will contain stuff done many moons ago without much creative input from the latest incarnation of the band..

If you disagree with that...super.  But we can't both be right.

But, as usual, your beef stems from the fact I even dare to doubt.  That's sort of your problem, and not mine.  I can't really help that gets your back up.  A lot of things get your back up.  The sheer amount of your "well, I never!!" takes on just about everything diminishes their impact.  

You are basically The Boy Who Cried Outrage.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #442 on: August 26, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »

Bands don't change their names or their identities based on the opinions and likes of a bunch of whiny ''fans''. Is this discussion being held in other bands message forums? Are there people claiming ''The Division Bell'' is not a Pink Floyd album but a ''new Pink Floyd'' album? are the fans of AC/DC, Kiss and Metallica discussing this shit? or are we the only retarded ones?

Though I tend to loathe this argument and feel its used as a crutch, in this case, it applies.

No one is quite like Guns N' Roses.  No other big time band has ever had this set of circumstances.

It should be something very simple to understand!

I clearly DO NOT want Axl to reunite with Slash, but if this reunion happens, I will have to decide if I'll keep being a fan of the band, based in the new music this new (or old) lineup creates.

What I would never do, because it's an absolute nonsense, is denying this hypothetical new lineup the status of ''Guns N' Roses''. It will be GNR. If i thought otherwise, I would be a case for a psychiatrist.

I really don't get your hatred for Slash. Did he do something to you?? The original lineup brought great music and created the Guns N' Roses name. If it wasn't for the original lineup, you wouldn't have CD. Lastly, the level of production hasn't been matched since  the UYI lineup ended.
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #443 on: August 26, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »

Anyone who doesnt want a Reunion is mental, seriously. (or maybe only became a fan during the CD era).
It would be one of the biggest things rock n roll will have ever seen. fucking hell, i even get a boner just thinking about it.

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #444 on: August 26, 2015, 10:42:48 AM »

I have never understood the Slash hate on any level.

Personal, professional, you name it.  Just don't get it.

You will never convince me its not just people parroting what Axl says and thinks.  Nothing else makes much sense, in my view.

I've heard the reasons.  But is it a coincidence that they match right up with Axl's reasons?  I certainly don't think so.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Princess Leia
« Reply #445 on: August 26, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »

Slash still writes good music, what as been lacking is the lyrical content. IMO If Axl were given a crack at Fall to Pieces or Anastasia (as isolated examples) they would be hit GnR songs. You also have to wonder over the past several years how many ideas of Slash's have floundered because Myles or Scott weren't the right people to complete those songs... but at the same time... if my Aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle... so it's all conjecture until they start writing again (if they ever do).

See..there we disagree.

There is some VR stuff on Contraband that I would agree is relatively well written.

There is some stuff on 5 o'clock somewhere that I would also agree is relatively well written.

Most of the rest?  I think it's very safe, very similar, very...well...boring...musically.  It's...again I go back to lazy, but I'm not sure that's the most appropriate word.  It's just not all that interesting, to me. 

I think he's probably capable of more (and the VR stuff shows glimmers of that) but, IMHO, he doesn't channel it all that well, on his own.

Ok you have Contraband, Its Five O?Clock Somewhere, Chinese Democracy, Apocalyptic Love, World On Fire. Which one is the best?

In my opinion Fall To Pieces, Anastasia, Crucify The Dead, Gotten and Starlight are better than anything on CD, Its Five  O?Clock Somewhere or World On Fire. But at the same time those are isolated songs.

I find the Slash albums boring for the most part or just not really appealing to me. I feel the same way about Chinese Democracy. Contraband is the lesser evil but still I don?t see it as great album
SOLGER
Rocker

LIVE N? LET DIE

« Reply #446 on: August 26, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »

This would have been a perfect post UYI single....imagine Axl laying vocals on this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yajU0oeMJo4 

Live N' Let Die
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #447 on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:34 AM »

I think ?Don?t Drop that Dime?, the last song on Libertad is the coolest track to come out of the Guns camp since the Illusions.
Probably a bit tongue in cheek, but it?s rock n? roll. Weiland nails it, too.
It has a GN?R Lies era, ?Used to Love Her" feel to it.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #448 on: August 26, 2015, 11:04:43 AM »

This would have been a perfect post UYI single....imagine Axl laying vocals on this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yajU0oeMJo4 

Agreed.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #449 on: August 26, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »

I am of the opinion nothing new has been written, recorded, or worked on in a long time, and any new album will contain stuff done many moons ago without much creative input from the latest incarnation of the band..

If you disagree with that...super.  But we can't both be right.

So you're calling Richard Fortus a liar?
And you're saying you know better than him about what has happened?

But, as usual, your beef stems from the fact I even dare to doubt.  That's sort of your problem, and not mine.  

No, the so called beef is about you making statements that can easily be proved to be wrong, false, bullshit, whatever you wanna call it!

It is your belief that Richard Fortus knows less about the band's work than you do. You didn't say it, yet you believe it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #450 on: August 26, 2015, 11:19:05 AM »

No more so than you are calling Ron a liar, I guess. 

But I probably wouldn't throw out such an over the top claim over what is, quite literally, rampant speculation on both our parts.

No, the so called beef is about you making statements that can easily be proved to be wrong, false, bullshit, whatever you wanna call it!

It's an opinion you don't like.  One you don't think should be uttered.  Not really "man bites dog" caliber news, there.

You see nobility, if not outright fan duty, to see so many things sunny side up.  Neither are opinions I share.

You see great offense in speculation that paints something other than a rosy outcome.  Another opinion I don't share.

We are just giving our opinions.  I'm not saying you have to agree with mine, or even like it.  But get the fuck over it already.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #451 on: August 26, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »

Ok you have Contraband, Its Five O?Clock Somewhere, Chinese Democracy, Apocalyptic Love, World On Fire. Which one is the best?

In my opinion Fall To Pieces, Anastasia, Crucify The Dead, Gotten and Starlight are better than anything on CD, Its Five  O?Clock Somewhere or World On Fire. But at the same time those are isolated songs.

I find the Slash albums boring for the most part or just not really appealing to me. I feel the same way about Chinese Democracy. Contraband is the lesser evil but still I don?t see it as great album

I give CD the nod, slightly, over Contraband.  I would take IRS over pretty much everything you listed (and, for me, it's roughly equivalent to Slither, which is my favorite track on Contraband), and it's not even the best song on CD.  But now we're quibbling over musical preferences, really.

But the preference for CD over Contraband is not by a whole lot.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »

I give CD the nod, slightly, over Contraband.  I would take IRS over pretty much everything you listed (and, for me, it's roughly equivalent to Slither, which is my favorite track on Contraband), and it's not even the best song on CD.  But now we're quibbling over musical preferences, really.

But the preference for CD over Contraband is not by a whole lot.

Agreed all around.

Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #453 on: August 26, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »

I think GNR fans need to give Slash and Axl a little breathing room.  They may do something together, they may not.  The important thing is Axl can have more peace.  I see a lot of people saying a lot of selfish things.  I support Axl and GNR even though Bumblefoot is gone.  Slash and Axl can be "less frosty" and never play another note together. There are no rules for how they proceed.   They will do what they want. GNR style.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #454 on: August 26, 2015, 11:28:26 AM »

I think GNR fans need to give Slash and Axl a little breathing room.  They may do something together, they may not.  The important thing is Axl can have more peace.  I see a lot of people saying a lot of selfish things.  I support Axl and GNR even though Bumblefoot is gone.  Slash and Axl can be "less frosty" and never play another note together. There are no rules for how they proceed.   They will do what they want. GNR style.

Good points.

Lennon and McCartney fucking hated each other for years after their break-up.  They got things back to civil discourse, but never did any work together again.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #455 on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »

It has a very nice solo, starting at the 2:55 mark, which lasts about 50 seconds.

The rest? Meh...the main riff of the song is, to me, the definition of generic. The guitar work, outside the solo, is pretty standard stuff. The melody is ok, but not overly amazing.  There's nothing there that screams "interesting" to me.    

Which pretty much defines his solo work, for me, in a nutshell.  

I'd be pretty disappointed if that's what we got from a reunitied GnR, honestly. I think they'd be capable of a lot better.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #456 on: August 26, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »

Good points.

Lennon and McCartney fucking hated each other for years after their break-up.  They got things back to civil discourse, but never did any work together again.

True.

But...with Lennon's untimely demise...we just don't know what would have ultimately happened.  It's one of the great musical tragedies.  Someone mentioned that a GnR reunion would be the biggest thing to hit rock.  A Beatles reunion would have been the biggest thing in rock, in music, and in live events EVER.  They would have practially had to build new stadiums to get all the people that wanted to buy tickets to those shows, into them.

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #457 on: August 26, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »

No more so than you are calling Ron a liar, I guess. 

But I probably wouldn't throw out such an over the top claim over what is, quite literally, rampant speculation on both our parts.

Why can't you answer a simple question? Yes/No?
Richard clearly stated nobody worked with Ron. So, no, I'm not calling either one anything. You on the other hand..... Dance, dance, dance...

It's an opinion you don't like.  One you don't think should be uttered. 

I have a low tolerance for lies, bullshit and false info posted as facts by people who are too lazy to read and take in information.

Keep dancing around the questions, we all know you're interested in discussions and you're the first to admit you were wrong....  Roll Eyes

It really doesn't affect my daily life if you think GN'R sucks, or that they will never release another song. I don't care.
What I do care about is this site. If you come here and post your false guesses day in and day out, you might get called out on it and asked to explain yourself. Simple as that.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:44:43 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #458 on: August 26, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »

I think you're talking too much  ok hihi i'd like too see a picture of them sippin a drink before anything else  rofl prove you're in good terms again!!! Cheesy Cheesy

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #459 on: August 26, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »

Richard clearly stated nobody worked with Ron. So, no, I'm not calling either one anything. You on the other hand..... Dance, dance, dance...

I've spelled it out at least 3 times in this thread.  And in countless other threads over the months, which is why you are so hot and bothered.

If there ever is a next album (and who the hell knows), I expect stuff in the Rose/Buckethead/Finck/Stinson/Huge vein.  I expect little to nothing that reads Rose/Ashba/Thal.

I do not feel the latest incarnation of the band contributed much of anything creatively of note that we will ever hear.

Is this some crazy conspiracy theory?  You act like I'm telling you that 9/11 was an inside job or Obama was born in Kenya.

This is worth going to the mattresses over?  Not really.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: