Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:13:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ & Ron's Exits: A Silver Lining?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ & Ron's Exits: A Silver Lining?  (Read 15300 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« on: August 03, 2015, 02:58:30 PM »

I've been trying to find a silver lining in all of this, and I think I may have found it...

In pretty much every interview DJ did from 2010-2014, he always made it a point to say that he did not join GNR just to "fill in" and would mention his desire to both write AND produce the next Guns record.  He would regularly mention the 10 demos he sent Axl and how it was a matter of time before they dug into them.  Ron quipped several times in various interviews that he wasn't interested in emailing tracks written by previous members back and forth, and that he only was interested in recording together as a group.

We know Axl had/has been doing...something...in the studio with Chris.  We know that he has at least two more albums worth of material left over from the Chinese sessions. We also know those tracks contain OTHER guitarists, and were largely, if not, completely finished.  Could it be that DJ caught wind that the next album WOULD NOT contain anything he wrote and, if he continued with Guns next year, it would simply involve him "filling in" when said tracks are released?  Meaning, touring on yet another GNR album written and largely recorded by previous guitarists, like he did for Chinese.

In a strange way, DJ's exit may possibly hint that we might just be closer to the forthcoming album that we may have thought.

Could DJ's (and to a lesser extent Ron's) exit mean that Chinese Democracy II/Stay Of Execution may be around the corner? Thoughts?
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »

We know Axl had/has been doing...something...in the studio with Chris.  We know that he has at least two more albums worth of material left over from the Chinese sessions. We also know those tracks contain OTHER guitarists, and were largely, if not, completely finished.  Could it be that DJ caught wind that the next album WOULD NOT contain anything he wrote and, if he continued with Guns next year, it would simply involve him "filling in" when said tracks are released?  Meaning, touring on yet another GNR album written and largely recorded by previous guitarists, like he did for Chinese.

I think this might be the case too.

And, another silver lining might be that, without them around, they don't even need to be on the album.  Meaning it could be Bucket/Robin stuff untouched, which a lot of people always said they preferred.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »

And, another silver lining might be that, without them around, they don't even need to be on the album.  Meaning it could be Bucket/Robin stuff untouched, which a lot of people always said they preferred.

That's my hope as well.  If they were still around, Axl may have felt inclined to shoe-horn them onto the album somehow.  Now he's free to release the tracks however he wishes, featuring whoever he wishes.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »

I think there's a chance we'll hear Ron on the next release, but that doesn't make a difference time-wise anyways since he probably recorded those guitar parts years ago.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »

I think there's a chance we'll hear Ron on the next release, but that doesn't make a difference time-wise anyways since he probably recorded those guitar parts years ago.

Agreed, particularly on 'Atlas Shrugged'. I'm not aware of DJ ever recording on any of those tracks, unless it was done under the radar. 
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »

So, if Robin decides to re-join and if they somehow can lure Bucket back into his chicken coop, I would be a very happy man on the next tour!  Cheesy

Sweetness is a virtue
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »

Right, Bucket, who has released 600 albums the last years and left because of lack of productivity, would come back to GNR who havent been doing anything the past years.

Gotcha

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »

So, if Robin decides to re-join and if they somehow can lure Bucket back into his chicken coop, I would be a very happy man on the next tour!  Cheesy

Oh man, I would be beside myself.  I've always thought that Robin & Bucket's guitar styles complimented eachother to an insane degree.  That said, a Bucket return seems almost as unlikely as Axl & Slash taking the stage together again.  I think Bucket's feelings were really hurt during his exit, and I have no idea if things between him and Axl are cool.  Whereas we know Robin is still chummy with everyone, including Axl.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »

Oh man, I would be beside myself.  I've always thought that Robin & Bucket's guitar styles complimented eachother to an insane degree.  That said, a Bucket return seems almost as unlikely as Axl & Slash taking the stage together again.  I think Bucket's feelings were really hurt during his exit, and I have no idea if things between him and Axl are cool.  Whereas we know Robin is still chummy with everyone, including Axl.

I place Slash and Bucket as equally probable for a return.

Sweetness is a virtue
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 03:25:39 PM »

I agree. We're closer to the new album than most of people think. Just my 2 cents.

GNR forever !!
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »

I place Slash and Bucket as equally probable for a return.

Honestly, I'd be more than happy with Robin and Richard as a duo going forward.  Their chemistry is also extremely dynamic and I'd love to see that live again.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »

That's my hope as well.  If they were still around, Axl may have felt inclined to shoe-horn them onto the album somehow.  Now he's free to release the tracks however he wishes, featuring whoever he wishes.

It sounds weird to say, "Gee, now that 1/4 of the band has left they can now release new music" but I think you may be right. 
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »

To the OP:

I both hope and have a slight feeling we'll hear music next year, and it'll be as you say, the second part of Chinese.

Frank was playing on nearly every track on Chinese, so I think he probably features just as much on CD2.
Richard will get more air time and writing credits.
Tommy plays on all tracks, same with Dizzy and Chris.
Axl... well.

DJ & Ron, the two guys who left. They don't have any writing credits on the Chinese leftovers. One of them is probably not even on the record.

It is as you say, probably not a coincidence that it's DJ & Ron who went away now.

Sweetness is a virtue
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »

It sounds weird to say, "Gee, now that 1/4 of the band has left they can now release new music" but I think you may be right. 

It does I know. But seeing how they were the two most outspoken members regarding their "vision" for what the next GNR album should be, it does free Axl up quite a bit to release whatever the hell he wants.  Which, ultimately, is better for the fans.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »

Right, Bucket, who has released 600 albums the last years and left because of lack of productivity, would come back to GNR who havent been doing anything the past years.

Gotcha

Ahh.. I see. You think I was being serious about Bucket.

no

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »

But seeing how they were the two most outspoken members regarding their "vision" for what the next GNR album should be, it does free Axl up quite a bit to release whatever the hell he wants.  Which, ultimately, is better for the fans.

I think this was a bigger problem for Dj & Ron than Axl.

Sweetness is a virtue
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »

But seeing how they were the two most outspoken members regarding their "vision" for what the next GNR album should be, it does free Axl up quite a bit to release whatever the hell he wants.  Which, ultimately, is better for the fans.

I think this was a bigger problem for Dj & Ron than Axl.

Knowing Axl, he's probably known what the tracklisting for the next album was going to be since 2010.  It likely just took DJ and Ron this long to learn that the tracks had been laid long before they decided to throw their 2 cents into the ring regarding the next album.  hihi
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »

All evidence has indicated that Axl's desire is for the next release to be comprised of those songs and not of brand new recordings by the 2009-2014 lineup. 

Ron and DJ both expressed numerous times their desire was to do something new but that never materialized (I think a couple years back Ron expressed his discontent that any release at this point would be comprised of unreleased songs from the CD era, not new songs by the then-current lineup)

I would've liked to hear what the most recent iteration could come up with but the I'm more interested in hearing the rest of the stuff from Bucket/Robin/Fortus. 

At this point I just hope we get to hear final versions the remaining the CD-era songs.  Anything else is icing on the cake. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 04:01:12 PM »

They were never in the "band", in my opinion.

Just touring musicians that never contributed anything of note creatively under the Guns N' Roses banner.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »

At this point I just hope we get to hear final versions the remaining the CD-era songs.  Anything else is icing on the cake. 

My sentiments exactly.  If we can get to hear the remaining unreleased tracks, I will consider that a major victory both for the fans and Axl.  Anything additional that the band puts out in our lifetime would be viewed as a bonus by this fan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: