Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:48:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ & Ron's Exits: A Silver Lining?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ & Ron's Exits: A Silver Lining?  (Read 15246 times)
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »

I like Scraped more than Shackler's...Sorry is a Bucket tune too...great song imo.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »

I like Scraped more than Shackler's...Sorry is a Bucket tune too...great song imo.

I don't get some of the negativity thrown at Shackler's. After Better & TWAT it's probably my third favorite track on the album.  It's structure is creative as heck, and Ron's fretless solo is pretty mean. Not to mention, it kills live.

I'm hoping we see more 'outside the box' tracks like this on the forthcoming album....Whenever the hell that comes out.  Undecided
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »

Yeah, Shacklers is great live, and on the album.

I assume some don't like it because it's different.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »

Three of my favorites, I listened through headphones last night and I'm always amazed at how really great these songs are. Smiley

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »

I don't get some of the negativity thrown at Shackler's. After Better & TWAT it's probably my third favorite track on the album.  It's structure is creative as heck, and Ron's fretless solo is pretty mean. Not to mention, it kills live.

I'm hoping we see more 'outside the box' tracks like this on the forthcoming album....Whenever the hell that comes out.  Undecided

I like it a lot.  Its pretty catchy and some great guitarwork.

But it takes heat because its a pretty radical departure from the established GNR sound.  Which, while I don't dispute, I still can't believe people were still on that by the time it came out.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »

I like it a lot.  Its pretty catchy and some great guitarwork.

But it takes heat because its a pretty radical departure from the established GNR sound.  Which, while I don't dispute, I still can't believe people were still on that by the time it came out.

Yeah, I remember the first time I listened to it in 2008 I was blown away by how "different" it was, even from the other Chinese tracks we heard up to that point.  There's just so much going on, I could see why it would scare away traditional "rawk" fans.

Edit: I'm hoping the final version of 'Silkworms' has just as much going on, assuming we get to hear it one of these years.  hihi
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:17:51 PM by sofine11 » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2015, 03:25:45 PM »

Anything out of the ordinary is often scary at first.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2015, 03:28:17 PM »

The thing with Shacklers is, I think it sounds different at first but then when you really listen to it.. it kind of just sounds like a really heavy GN'R tune?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »

The thing with Shacklers is, I think it sounds different at first but then when you really listen to it.. it kind of just sounds like a really heavy GN'R tune?

I pretty much agree.

The guitarwork is obviously drastically different.  But the overall song structure is not that far off.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »

But that's the thing, if you can't get over that hump...

The same applies to other songs as well.

And yet, Paradise City has a synth in it!  hihi

/jarmo

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2015, 05:15:44 PM »

Shackler's is a catchy song, and honestly, the more 'experimental' songs, the ones that deviated more from the traditional GN'R sound, were my favorite on the record.
The songs I love off of CD seem to be the ones most hate:

Riad
Shackler's
Scraped
This I Love
If The World
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »

The guitarwork is obviously drastically different.

I don't think it's even that drastically different if you listen to the rhythm of the fills, excluding the (good) insanity of the solo it's arguably just lower..
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2015, 07:21:21 PM »

Durring the years we were waiting for an official release, and really only heard CD, Maddy, 'The Blues', and Riad... I tried giving Buckets solo work a try and could never attach myself to it.

I love the guitar work he did on songs that were influenced more by Robin (like TWAT which was brought up). I just can't get used to entire songs that are based off his riffs and ideas. Even Axl's vocal work is overboard, over processed and over produced (IMO) on songs like Shacklers, Scraped, and Sorry. I've tried to let them grow on me... and while I can certainly sit and listen to the album front to back with no problem, I find myself (for example) when I know my car ride is running short skipping Shacklers to get to Better, skipping Scraped to get to Riad or Sorry to get to IRS.

As far as the 'Stevie Ray Vaughn' Solo... I don't know if this has been specifically disproven in an interview, but just reading through Chinese Whispers I tended to think he is talking about the 'bluesy' solo in This I Love.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:24:40 PM by C0ma » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »

As far as the 'Stevie Ray Vaughn' Solo... I don't know if this has been specifically disproven in an interview, but just reading through Chinese Whispers I tended to think he is talking about the 'bluesy' solo in This I Love.

But didn't we hear this in the chats, AFTER the album was out?

I thought that's where that came from.

GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2015, 08:31:59 PM »

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [Sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

Is anything finished?

Depends how you look at it.

How do you look at it?

Not something we've focused on.

You're not saying much.

You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray Vaughan-type solo on one track.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=168
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 09:16:46 PM »

But didn't we hear this in the chats, AFTER the album was out?

I thought that's where that came from.

Ya, looks like it's from a Del James interview... thought it was an older quote. [EDIT] GNR2014 beat me to it with the link.

That feel though from the TIL solo, is what I love/loved about GnR... so if that is me being a 'RAWK' fan like someone said earlier... so be it. I just don't 'feel' it during bucket playing with his kill switch and playing a guitar like a slap bass.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:19:58 PM by C0ma » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 09:50:41 PM »

Robin's TIL solo is awesome.  His best stuff, I think.

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »

I want to hear more from the Bucket/Finck era. Some of the solos on Chinese (TWAT, TIL) are awesome.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 10:26:28 PM »

I always felt this was a band based around the guitars.  Its why I never really care who the drummer is.

And I agree, the guitar work on that album is very strong.

Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2015, 02:26:55 AM »

Most of my friends who like rock n' roll and such, enjoy Chinese Democracy. Most of the tracks.

But I have yet to hear one say they like Shackler's, Rhiad or Scraped. Even a very good friend of mine, hardcore Guns fan who grew up on them and is a musicican himself and totally fascinated by Axl's voice and performances, simply can not bring himself to listen to Scraped or Rhiad.

Weird.

That said, as someone mentioned here above, to me Shackler's is Democracy's Brownstone.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: