Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 09:53:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ's Letter
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ's Letter  (Read 141781 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2015, 01:25:01 PM »

Bring back Gary Sunshine!
I love his guitar playing on Circus of Power's 'Machine' which is the song that Corey Feldman blares at the beginning of the movie 'The 'Burbs'
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #281 on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »

I think the ability to retain talent is a huge issue here... unless your favorite guitar player in the history of the band is Richard (which btw would not be a terrible pick for that title), your guy is gone and probably not coming back. The Bucket and Robin people really need to let the past be the past, they are both not here for a reason, and that reason has only gotten worse over time.

Agreed.  And its gotten way worse.

Each successive guy leaves for the same reason.  And its just another name to throw on the ever mounting pile of evidence Axl has no plan or seemingly any idea what the hell he's doing.

Makes it that much harder to grab that next guy, I would think.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #282 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »

I think the ability to retain talent is a huge issue here... unless your favorite guitar player in the history of the band is Richard (which btw would not be a terrible pick for that title), your guy is gone and probably not coming back. The Bucket and Robin people really need to let the past be the past, they are both not here for a reason, and that reason has only gotten worse over time.

Agreed.  And its gotten way worse.

Each successive guy leaves for the same reason.  And its just another name to throw on the ever mounting pile of evidence Axl has no plan or seemingly any idea what the hell he's doing.

Makes it that much harder to grab that next guy, I would think.

What?s the pitch?  Any guitarist worth a damn will want to not just play in Guns, but also move the name forward and create music.  ?Well, Axl?s so unpredictable that you never know what could happen, so anything?s possible.?  Except here, he is predictable, and we do know what will happen. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #283 on: July 28, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »

Yeah, there are no more questions at this point.  No more secrets.

You will not be on an album.  You will not be allowed to talk.  You will receive poor communication from management.

These are not "if"s.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #284 on: July 28, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »

maybe Robbie Robertson would want the job......

He called me up, and I said, "Sure I'd like a job. What does it mean? What do I do?" And he said, "Well, son, you won't make much money, but you'll get more pussy than Frank Sinatra."

Grin

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »

Excuse me for inerrupting the blossoming fight that's about to erupt.

I don't think Axl has to come out and give his five point plan for the direction of GNR, though that would be nice. But it would be classy if he "responded" to DJ's letter by thanking him for his time in the band and wishing him well.

Not completely shocked by the news, but I kind of expected that DJ may keep GNR on the back burner. Who knows what happens in two years. But this would seemingly end his time in GNR for good. So does he know that Axl has other plans? No plans? Or does he just want to focus on the band that he started? I imagine it's a combination of those things and more. I don't think this spells the end for Axl, at least I hope not. But I'm not sure what the next step is. Robin coming back would seem to make sense, but they'd need someone to play the Bucket/Ron parts.

I'd love a reunion, but I just can't see that happening at this time. SOME progress in that area has been made it would seem, but there's still a LONG way to go.

No worries faldor, I'm not interested in arguing with a troll.
You make some good points-

Do you see GNR sticking to a 3-guitar attack, or simply revert back to a lead and rhythm player like in AFD days? I can certainly see where a "stunt" player with the capabilities of Bucket or Ron would be needed for certain songs , but didn't Fortus and Finck have this worked out before pre-Ron?
I would think that if Axl wants to continue to go in a similar direction, then he'd stick with the 3 guitar approach. He was leaning that way when Slash was still in the band, so unless his thoughts have changed, I'd expect that to still be the case. I don't think it' a necessity, but rather a preference of his. I also don't think he'd want to bring in yet another guitar player unless it's someone he's worked with before or knows quite well.

I would think he'd love to get Robin and Bucket back into the fold, but as many have mentioned, I think Bucket would be a longshot. If Robin comes back, I think he'd need to get a Bucket/Ron type player. If 2 guitarists is the answer, you're going back in time. So in that sense, you might as well reconcile with Slash and work around that. I don't think that's likely, but I can't really see Slash, Richard/Izzy, and Robin/Ron/Bucket on the same stage.

But nobody knows for sure. Things could get interesting.

Great insight, I agree with you that exciting may not have been the right word, but certainly intriguing and interesting apply here.

I look for the 3-guitar approach to continue as well, and very good observation on the leanings in that direction early on. I can see where a stunt player in the genre of a Bucket or Ron would be needed on some of the Chinese Democracy songs, and since the next album is said to be in the same vein except meaner and darker in places, it may very well be required.

I'm keeping an open mind headed into the next chapter  beer

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »

After a good night's sleep and some big time reflection (no not really haha)...

Not trying to pick a fight ... none of you guys should with these people...but for anybody to say this is exciting...is just not playing with a full deck...

This is a bad time if you are GNR fan... no way around it... and I don't have ANY attachment to either DJ or Ron...

If Axl releases a record next week, or announces some kind of new/old lineup...sure nobody will care about this ...but until then...

Apparently you and a great many others are interested and intrigued, one of the co-factors of that is excitement, if not you wouldn't care at all.

I think anybody that can't see that is not playing with a full deck.

ex?cite?ment
\ik-ˈsīt-mənt\
noun
: a feeling of eager enthusiasm and interest : the state of being excited
: exciting activity
: a quality that causes feelings of eager enthusiasm : an exciting quality
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:29:29 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
mortismurphy
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2015, 03:41:53 PM »

Still has absolutely no application to losing a band member. An album release or an upcoming tour tend to be the two events which most instigate excitement in a fanbase, not losing members.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »

Still has absolutely no application to losing a band member. An album release or an upcoming tour tend to be the two events which most instigate excitement in a fanbase, not losing members.

Claiming excitement over major band defections is just about the very definition of the concept you will cheer anything, literally anything, that comes down the pike with this guy.

How about murder?  Could we spin a murder?  Would it be an extension of there never being anyone like Axl Rose?

LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »

maybe instead of calling the IRS Axl should call the NRA.....
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »

Claiming excitement over major band defections is just about the very definition of the concept you will cheer anything, literally anything, that comes down the pike with this guy.

How about murder?  Could we spin a murder?  Would it be an extension of there never being anyone like Axl Rose?

And what's funny is that we're the crazy ones for our inability to see the excitement in all this...it's mind-boggling.  

[headlines] Guns n Roses lead guitarist quits (other guitarist deemed gone and all other members are with other bands)

[Fan]  Yes!  How exciting!  This is just what the band needs to move forward!  Now I believe more than ever!

Holy shit...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2015, 04:11:13 PM »

The usual nonsense from you.

You seem to lack the ability to see anything good in the world of GN'R.

Since that ability is missing in your life, let me explain it to you. Nobody is necessarily claiming this to be great news, they're merely expressing an opinion that they're not seeing this as the definite end of the world (as some others seem to) and that something will come out of all this that could very well be good. The last time a new band member joined, it was followed by years and years of activity that we really hadn't seen the like of (at least not in the Internet age).

Of course, this concept is alien to you. See above. And I'm expecting you to somehow try to ridicule what I said. I'll save you, and everybody some time by just saying: Move on.

Just because something is true for you, doesn't mean everyone else is like you. And thank God for that!  Tongue

The irony of the situation is that now fans actually have a reason to feel upset or whatever, but it's the same handful of posters who were whin... expressing their honest opinions in 2014 that are still doing it.... Shocked

/jarmo
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:17:01 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #292 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:59 PM »

Have any other band members commented on DJ quitting?  Other than Ron?

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #293 on: July 28, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »

The usual nonsense from you.

You seem to lack the ability to see anything good in the world of GN'R.

Well, well, well.  Look what the cat dragged in.

Starting to wonder if you posted here anymore.  Haven't seen you around, playa.

I think its hard to spin 2 major defections within the past year as a good thing.  Leaving us with an uncertain future, at best.

Now, maybe it will go our way.  Of course, maybe we'll all still be sitting here singing this same tune in 2018.  Who knows?

And you will find it "interesting" that some "fans" are "talking" like they "know" the "facts".

I think we have to prepare for both possibilities at this point.

Princess Leia
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »

This is neither good nor bad. It is just another day at the office in the GN?R world. Is DJ the very first guy who leaves the band? NO!!! Over the years GN?R has lost more important and more beloved members than this guy. I understand that some people feel bad because they were expecting an album and they see this as a set back. Maybe their mistake was to believe in a new album to begin with.

I don?t think Axl is angry nor sad. Most likely he got used to this situation like most of us. To DJ credit, it was really cool from his part to write a letter and be thankfull. I wish BBF would do the same thing instead of his silly innuendo.

Sooner or later Axl will come up with something, he always does. But this time I just hope it?s a reunion   Grin
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #295 on: July 28, 2015, 04:38:44 PM »

This is neither good nor bad. It is just another day at the office in the GN?R world. Is DJ the very first guy who leaves the band? NO!!! Over the years GN?R has lost more important and more beloved members than this guy. I understand that some people feel bad because they were expecting an album and they see this as a set back. Maybe their mistake was to believe in a new album to begin with.

Largely true, but I think this essentially being 2 slots at once is a bit different.

R.I.P - "the most stable line-up ever"

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #296 on: July 28, 2015, 04:42:41 PM »

I don?t think Axl is angry nor sad. Most likely he got used to this situation like most of us. To DJ credit, it was really cool from his part to write a letter and be thankfull. I wish BBF would do the same thing instead of his silly innuendo.

Sooner or later Axl will come up with something, he always does. But this time I just hope it?s a reunion   Grin

How is it neither good nor bad? If your a fan of the band that has toured since 2010 and have flown over the world to see them- this is very bad!

But I am also of the opinion that the next step should be a reunion & that would be the only positive I can think of!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #297 on: July 28, 2015, 04:45:56 PM »

This is neither good nor bad. It is just another day at the office in the GN?R world. Is DJ the very first guy who leaves the band? NO!!! Over the years GN?R has lost more important and more beloved members than this guy.

While I somewhat agree and this comment is completely accurate... they have lost 'better' (see what I did there) over the years. At what point do these constant defections at the same 'position' (sorry I lean towards sports analogies) effect their ability to get the 'next man up' on guitar.

Izzy, Gilby, Slash, Duff, (not sure who to count in the dark days of the mid to late 90's), Robin, Bucket, Robin, DJ, Thrall (?)... If you are good enough to play in this band do you do it seeing the pattern of defection and dysfunction?

Maybe this doesn't effect the release of previously recorded material, maybe they find their next man up, maybe they tour hard for the next few year... any of that is possible. You have to wonder though, how much have they (Axl) hurt the perception of this job (guitar for Guns N' Roses).
Princess Leia
« Reply #298 on: July 28, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »

Largely true, but I think this essentially being 2 slots at once is a bit different.

R.I.P - "the most stable line-up ever"

Sorry but it was your fault to believe that this line up was going to last for years to come.  As I said I feel bad for people like you. But after everything that?s been going on for last 20 years nobody can dream be naive about GN?R. In my case I learn my lesson after the 2002 tour got cancelled
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #299 on: July 28, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »

This is neither good nor bad. It is just another day at the office in the GN?R world. Is DJ the very first guy who leaves the band? NO!!! Over the years GN?R has lost more important and more beloved members than this guy.

While I somewhat agree and this comment is completely accurate... they have lost 'better' (see what I did there) over the years. At what point do these constant defections at the same 'position' (sorry I lean towards sports analogies) effect their ability to get the 'next man up' on guitar.

Izzy, Gilby, Slash, Duff, (not sure who to count in the dark days of the mid to late 90's), Robin, Bucket, Robin, DJ, Thrall (?)... If you are good enough to play in this band do you do it seeing the pattern of defection and dysfunction?

Maybe this doesn't effect the release of previously recorded material, maybe they find their next man up, maybe they tour hard for the next few year... any of that is possible. You have to wonder though, how much have they (Axl) hurt the perception of this job (guitar for Guns N' Roses).

It does nothing to help the image of the band either. The release of Appetite for Democracy felt like a great step in cementing the bands current image and a year later it's once again..Gone!

The sports analogy is bullshit!

And if you can't vent at members leaving your favorite band on here what exactly can we do?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:59:46 PM by reayj2003 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: