Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 08:16:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ's Letter
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ's Letter  (Read 141579 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »

Sorry but it was your fault to believe that this line up was going to last for years to come.  As I said I feel bad for people like you. But after everything that?s been going on for last 20 years nobody can dream be naive about GN?R. In my case I learn my lesson after the 2002 tour got cancelled

"People like me"?  Say what?  I got called out last week for calling the classic line-up "the real band" for god's sake.

This is all just an assembly line now.  Save Axl, they're all just a number.  I feel zero connection to any of these people.  And have said time and again if he replaced everyone onstage tomorrow, I'd shrug and move on.  Axl have never given me reason to care about any of these people.

Where I see a problem is wondering if Axl has it in him to crank this all back up again.  Even in unemotional and assembly line terms, I'd still rather have Axl out there than not.  If there is a concern here, its if he cashes totally out due to disinterest.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2015, 05:12:27 PM »

And if you can't vent at members leaving your favorite band on here what exactly can we do?

EXACTLY... while I don't want to get 'what's her name' engaged in another argument in a different thread, this is what I was saying the other day. The role of a open platform for us to discuss this band shouldn't have to be 'If there's nothing good to say than say nothing at all'

I try not to engage in the show by show threads when they are touring (partly because it turns into bashing of the set lists) so maybe I don't express how happy I am when they are active and touring. Would I love an album, absolutely... but as long as there is the ability to see activity in a band that sat on the shelf for so long I am happy. Is each member of the most current complete lineup (2014) my favorite at each instrument, no, but what ever it is what it is... I was happy in 1998 to see a picture of Axl under arrest because it was proof he was alive after 4 years, so knowing that we have had hundreds of shows worldwide since 2006 and an album is a gift (but it's frustrating to think that it should be more and could be more).
Princess Leia
« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »

Sorry but it was your fault to believe that this line up was going to last for years to come.  As I said I feel bad for people like you. But after everything that?s been going on for last 20 years nobody can dream be naive about GN?R. In my case I learn my lesson after the 2002 tour got cancelled

"People like me"?  Say what?  I got called out last week for calling the classic line-up "the real band" for god's sake.

This is all just an assembly line now.  Save Axl, they're all just a number.  I feel zero connection to any of these people.  And have said time and again if he replaced everyone onstage tomorrow, I'd shrug and move on.  Axl have never given me reason to care about any of these people.

Where I see a problem is wondering if Axl has it in him to crank this all back up again.  Even in unemotional and assembly line terms, I'd still rather have Axl out there than not.  If there is a concern here, its if he cashes totally out due to disinterest.

I don?t know if Axl has it in him. But if he doesn?t want to tour with new guys or classic line up he doesn?t have to. I don?t think it is the end of the world if Axl calls it a day.

The thing is you wanted this band to make an album. You said that millions of times. And like you there are other fans. Now who knows when and if there is a new album
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2015, 05:21:16 PM »

I don?t know if Axl has it in him. But if he doesn?t want to tour with new guys or classic line up he doesn?t have to. I don?t think it is the end of the world if Axl calls it a day.

Well, on even just a base level, its a bummer.  Right?

The man is an incredible talent.  The world is better served with him out there and not holed up somewhere wasting away, I would argue.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »

Claiming excitement over major band defections is just about the very definition of the concept you will cheer anything, literally anything, that comes down the pike with this guy.

How about murder?  Could we spin a murder?  Would it be an extension of there never being anyone like Axl Rose?

The usual nonsense from you.

You seem to lack the ability to see anything good in the world of GN'R.

Since that ability is missing in your life, let me explain it to you. Nobody is necessarily claiming this to be great news, they're merely expressing an opinion that they're not seeing this as the definite end of the world (as some others seem to) and that something will come out of all this that could very well be good. The last time a new band member joined, it was followed by years and years of activity that we really hadn't seen the like of (at least not in the Internet age).

Of course, this concept is alien to you. See above. And I'm expecting you to somehow try to ridicule what I said. I'll save you, and everybody some time by just saying: Move on.

Just because something is true for you, doesn't mean everyone else is like you. And thank God for that!  Tongue

The irony of the situation is that now fans actually have a reason to feel upset or whatever, but it's the same handful of posters who were whin... expressing their honest opinions in 2014 that are still doing it.... Shocked

/jarmo

The word used was 'exciting', 'excitement', not 'optimism for the future'. If you feel Guns will be able to recuperate and maybe find two guitarists even better and come out better, that is fair enough but I fail to see how a reaction to the initial news could produce feelings of excitement. I actually think it is a fair bet that Axl was dismayed by Dj's defection. Some of you are even more in 'la la land' than your mentor is. Can you imagine Axl saying, ''wow, exciting - exciting times'' when Ashba said to Axl that he was quitting?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:24:08 PM by mortismurphy » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #305 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »

I was happy in 1998 to see a picture of Axl under arrest because it was proof he was alive after 4 years, so knowing that we have had hundreds of shows worldwide since 2006 and an album is a gift (but it's frustrating to think that it should be more and could be more).

Big time!  That story was a godsend.  

There was one other pic of him with a fan that ran in the letters section of the one of the rock mags around 1995/96.  He already had the shorter hair.  But that was it.

Sort of the same thing in 2003-05.  Nada.  Hearing him on Trunk's show that night in May 2006 was the equivalent of a proof of life hostage video.

Princess Leia
« Reply #306 on: July 28, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »

And if you can't vent at members leaving your favorite band on here what exactly can we do?

EXACTLY... while I don't want to get 'what's her name' engaged in another argument in a different thread, this is what I was saying the other day. The role of a open platform for us to discuss this band shouldn't have to be 'If there's nothing good to say than say nothing at all'

I try not to engage in the show by show threads when they are touring (partly because it turns into bashing of the set lists) so maybe I don't express how happy I am when they are active and touring. Would I love an album, absolutely... but as long as there is the ability to see activity in a band that sat on the shelf for so long I am happy. Is each member of the most current complete lineup (2014) my favorite at each instrument, no, but what ever it is what it is... I was happy in 1998 to see a picture of Axl under arrest because it was proof he was alive after 4 years, so knowing that we have had hundreds of shows worldwide since 2006 and an album is a gift (but it's frustrating to think that it should be more and could be more).

You can vent about DJ, Ron, etc. But I say that you shouldn?t be surprised nor angry that this line up also is breaking up because it has happened before. I care about the classic line up. I follow what they do. I read the books. That?s was my band. And over the years I?ve seen so many changes, and delays, set back. GN?R is like that. We have to be always ready for something like this to happen.

It?s like the Global Economy. You know that sooner or later there will be a crisis somewhere like the Grece thing
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #307 on: July 28, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »

Claiming excitement over major band defections is just about the very definition of the concept you will cheer anything, literally anything, that comes down the pike with this guy.

How about murder?  Could we spin a murder?  Would it be an extension of there never being anyone like Axl Rose?

The usual nonsense from you.

You seem to lack the ability to see anything good in the world of GN'R.

Well, well, well.  Look what the cat dragged in.

Starting to wonder if you posted here anymore.  Haven't seen you around, playa.

I think its hard to spin 2 major defections within the past year as a good thing.  Leaving us with an uncertain future, at best.

Now, maybe it will go our way.  Of course, maybe we'll all still be sitting here singing this same tune in 2018.  Who knows?

And you will find it "interesting" that some "fans" are "talking" like they "know" the "facts".

I think we have to prepare for both possibilities at this point.
Nobody is saying it's a "good" thing. You're cherry picking words and ideas. Is it a bad thing for the moment? Absolutely. I don't think anyone is disputing that. Even people who hated DJ would be hard pressed to say that a 3 guitar band is now down to 1 is a good thing.

But we weren't likely getting an album this year, so I don't think this has an impact there. They released the last album minus one guitar player, so what's one more? I'm "interested" to see where they go from here. Something could happen sooner than you expect, it could drag on for years, no one really knows. I tend to think you're at least slightly "interested" as well, otherwise you'd have thrown in the towel like many before you have done. There's still time for that of course, but most people have stuck around this whole time will probably continue to do so. We're suckers for the drama.  ok

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #308 on: July 28, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »

But we weren't likely getting an album this year, so I don't think this has an impact there.

I wasn't read to give up on that.  The man himself said they were going to finally get back into it.

I've given up now, at least short term.  This year, and next.  So before anyone hits me with the "you are already to give up on 2015 and 2016 with 17 months to go, LOLZ"...save the typing. 

Yes.  Yes, I am.

AT BEST, they are back on the road in some capacity by 2017.

But the album talk is dead and buried for good.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:38:17 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

Princess Leia
« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »

Well, on even just a base level, its a bummer.  Right?

The man is an incredible talent.  The world is better served with him out there and not holed up somewhere wasting away, I would argue.

Yes, but it?s not worthy to be angry and frustrated.
big guns
Opening Act

Why Don't You Just...FUCK OFF

« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »

John 5 and Trey Spruance should joins Guns
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »

But we weren't likely getting an album this year, so I don't think this has an impact there.

I wasn't read to give up on that.  The man himself said they were going to finally get back into it.

I've given up now, at least short term.  This year, and next.  So before anyone hits me with the "you are already to give up on 2015 and 2016 with 17 months to go, LOLZ"...save the typing. 

Yes.  Yes, I am.

AT BEST, they are back on the road in some capacity by 2017.

Fuckin' shame if you ask me.  The release of CD2 would far outshadow the mass exodus of band members, boosting fan morale. Too bad our guy can't get it together and put it out.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #312 on: July 28, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »

I've given up now, at least short term.  This year, and next.  So before anyone hits me with the "you are already to give up on 2016 and 2017 with 17 months to go, LOLZ"...save the typing.  Yes, I am.

AT BEST, they are back on the road in some capacity by 2018.

I'm not sure about that. I mean, I would tend to side with you, but some people apparently "in the know" think next year is still a possibility. Now again, it certainly wouldn't shock me if that WAS the plan, and that plan changes. And ultimately we get radio silence for the next few years.

But there's a lot we don't know, per usual. Again, history would tell me that this is a step back. But it's possible that Axl and DJ have spoken and Axl was/is prepared to move on without him. I think he was probably ready to move on from Ron long ago, with Ron counting down the days until he was "free." So it's possible he wanted to take a little time to regroup and decide what the next step is. I know this word is getting a lot of flack recently, but it could be "exciting." It could not be, and I know many are ready to take that stance day 1 sans DJ.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #313 on: July 28, 2015, 05:47:55 PM »

If you are John5 and you look at the laundry list of guitar players that have left and the reasons for it, why would you take it on at this point of your career? Makes more sense if it is an unknown that needs it as a launching pad.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #314 on: July 28, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »

Still has absolutely no application to losing a band member. An album release or an upcoming tour tend to be the two events which most instigate excitement in a fanbase, not losing members.

rofl

This could be the greatest single post ever on here.  Cheesy
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »

If you are John5 and you look at the laundry list of guitar players that have left and the reasons for it, why would you take it on at this point of your career? Makes more sense if it is an unknown that needs it as a launching pad.

I'm pretty sure Guns is a very interesting gig for lots of people, known and unknown.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #316 on: July 28, 2015, 07:15:18 PM »

Someone posted this on MYGNR today, it was his 1st post, however it makes total sense and it's something i was also thinking. Looking back we can connect the dots in order to understand if this is the end of gn'r, a line up change or a reunion.

p.s. dj was a class act and left the band with grace. his playing wasn't his best feature but he does make up for it with everything else. Dj's really good at songwriting and even his guitar playing is way more interesting in any other project he has done. big shoes to fill in with guns and not everyone sounds good mimicking or playing someone else's songs. too bad he didn't produce or wrote anything we could hear with axl, def a wasted opportunity. Wish him all the best and i'll keep listening to SIXX AM because i did become a fan over the years. I Miss Robin way more, but it's all good. Dj stepped in when Robin decided to quit. But all in all i think a reunion is in place for next year. Not sure if i personally want it over more records from the current line up, but at this point that doesn't really seem to be an option and i wonder if it ever was supposed to be more than this. Thinking about it they had the longest tour ever over a record (over 10 years for chinese, chinese democracy starts now started in 2000/ 2001 with The Vegas and Rio gigs) while playing arenas and stadiums in some markets and summer festivals with several line up changes. You could say that the old line up made music for axl to live on for the rest of his life, but now he could really make some money and even if that wasn't the deal breaker it's still true. The Original line up would make so much more money, so it's interesting for all parts and that's why everyone from the past still wants it. i think with Duff playing with Axl everything got smoother so that we could eventually have a reunion. So if they're happy, then i am happy also.

I feel bad for tommy, chris, dj, ron, frank and rich but i'm def a fan of theirs so i'll be paying attention to what they're doing also and chinese will be one of my fav gn'r records and all time records for that matter.

And now, some food for thought:

SOMETHING is going on behind the scenes that points to some sort of reunion.

1. GNR "retirement" and "free calendar" rumor spreads.
2. Axl denies it, but it's currently happening, so there was truth to it.
3. Eddie Trunk and Mitch Lafon have both been hearing things from "reliable sources" that indicate there will be a new/old lineup in the next year or so.
4. The daily dose of Duff McKagan interviews stopped out of nowhere.
5. Slash changes his tone on reunion questions.
6. Not a peep out of Matt Sorum on Kings of Chaos, but tons of #TBT posts with Izzy and Axl on Facebook
7. Dead Dasies, Sixx A.M., Replacements news
8. Richard Fortus previously mentioned that some of the material on the new albums came from Slash. There may be some sort of legal issue where Slash has to give permission for it to be used (doubt it, but you never know)
9. At the Golden Gods Awards last year, Axl included "all of our lineups" in this thanks.
10. Steven Adler's comments about the NuGNR have been toned down... a little.

But most importantly - the fact that nobody can/will talk about it!
Trunk/Lafon - They've heard things, but they can't tell who from
Duff/Matt - Suddenly very quiet
Slash - "I have to be very careful what I say there" and "That would be fun to try at some point"
Bumblefoot - ...

There could be a reunion of the AFD lineup or UYI lineup next year, I'm sure.  The interesting thing is, Matt Sorum has said he won't do it unless Steven Adler is involved.  That could throw a kink into it UNLESS Sorum accepts the job and uses that time to convince Axl to let Steven come play at the end of the tour.  And heck, if Axl is dead-set on having a special effects keyboardist and third guitarist, then throw Matt onto the synth keyboard (rotate drums with Adler) and Gilby on the third guitar for a AFD/UYI combo.

This concludes my first post ever on MyGNRForum.
#WheresIzzy
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:33:02 PM by MeanBone » Logged

Chinese Democracy!
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #317 on: July 28, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »

Lots of money and fun of playing the GNR material all over the world, he even covered WTTJ a few years ago

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #318 on: July 28, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »

Lots of money and fun of playing the GNR material all over the world, he even covered WTTJ a few years ago

Which is of course the obvious motivation, but with the history don't you place a phone call to Ron, DJ, Robin, or someone who can talk to you on the phone while talking to Buckets hand puppet and ask them what went wrong and 'should I do it'?
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #319 on: July 28, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »

It doesn't hurt these guys when they leave, because they go back to wherever they came before, but for a few years that make money, tour the world, gain fans that never heard of them, and say there played with Axl/GNR.....If i was an independent guitarist and had that opportunity its a no brainer. Look at guys like Richard and Tommy, they're loyal as shit.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: