Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 04:48:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ's Letter
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ's Letter  (Read 141340 times)
unclezoso
Opening Act

There was a time

« Reply #260 on: July 28, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »

I sure hope Axl won't try to put together another GNR-lineup that is a "real band". The same thing will happen as with "Finck/Tobias/Freese", "Finck/Buckethead/Brain" and "Thal/DJ Ashba"

This is the only "exciting" scenario I can come up with:

- Axl wanted to tour around the world when he was still under 50 (or around that age), on top of his game and he could handle the trickier songs on regular basis. He just wanted to have some fun and play live
- Now he's done for touring (at least for a couple of years). He's working solely in studio and he doesn't need active members to tour with. Hence Bumble and DJ chose to pursue another interests
- There's shitloads of material in that famous "vault": lot's of contributions (finished songs/demos/riffs/chord progressions) from various former members and Axl's working with Sean Beavan/Caram Costanzo/Somebody else trying to turn those contributions into finished songs. That's the way he likes to work nowadays, right?
- CD2 is finally absolutely-completely-it-was-about-a-time finished and will be released soon
- We will get 3-4 new releases in the next 5 years

But that's not going to happen, is it?

Readers and artists, those are my kind. Sorry... no time for hooligans.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #261 on: July 28, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »

I would like to hear Slash's take on Catcher in the Rye, Street of Dreams and This I love.

Agreed.  Look, I'm not suggesting Slash is going to bang out Shacklers...but the songs you listed plus Better and TWAT?  Those are not a far departure from UYI tunes.  Slash could easily play these.  Let's be real.  If it were to happen, there would probably be only 2-3 CD songs.  
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #262 on: July 28, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »

Better is a little too new Gnr to me....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:08:29 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #263 on: July 28, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »

Can you think of any other fanbase who would be 'excited' by the news of a band member quitting?

I don't take it quite that literally.

I see the comment as just an extension of the (in my view) deeply flawed concept that "real fans" never utter out loud anything that might convey skepticism or criticism.

There are people that straight up loathed DJ, so there was always going to be a "ding dong, the witch is dead" type vibe when he left.  

But I see the "I'm looking forward to the bright future Axl has in front of him" routine as just more of the same type of delusion that saying such things is a fan's duty, as defined by some.

That is my interpretation (I was being rhetorical with that question). Everything has to be roses and rainbows and daffodils with this band. The sheep mentality is all persuasive in this fan base.
It's exciting in the sense of, what's next? Let's be honest, GNR has been and continues to be a soap opera for the last 16 years. Unfortunately a lot of the "excitement" has come off the stage and out of the studio. So obviously this news isn't a shining beacon of light for hope and promise. We've all stuck around to follow the drama over the years. Many have left, but for those of us who remained we are "fascinated" to find out what happens next.

A few people have said another album was never coming out or will never come out. So I'm not sure why they think this is such a bad thing if they believe that. If we were getting nothing before, then we're no worse off today than we were yesterday.

If that letter was written by Axl, then we'd all have to throw in our towels. But it was from, as many people have pointed out, a replacement of a replacement of a replacement. So suddenly, that's the last straw? I personally liked DJ, and was eager to see what he could do with Axl. I guess we'll never know. Maybe "excited" isn't the right word, but I'm certainly interested to see what's next.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #264 on: July 28, 2015, 11:03:49 AM »

Excuse me for inerrupting the blossoming fight that's about to erupt.

I don't think Axl has to come out and give his five point plan for the direction of GNR, though that would be nice. But it would be classy if he "responded" to DJ's letter by thanking him for his time in the band and wishing him well.

Not completely shocked by the news, but I kind of expected that DJ may keep GNR on the back burner. Who knows what happens in two years. But this would seemingly end his time in GNR for good. So does he know that Axl has other plans? No plans? Or does he just want to focus on the band that he started? I imagine it's a combination of those things and more. I don't think this spells the end for Axl, at least I hope not. But I'm not sure what the next step is. Robin coming back would seem to make sense, but they'd need someone to play the Bucket/Ron parts.

I'd love a reunion, but I just can't see that happening at this time. SOME progress in that area has been made it would seem, but there's still a LONG way to go.

No worries faldor, I'm not interested in arguing with a troll.
You make some good points-

Do you see GNR sticking to a 3-guitar attack, or simply revert back to a lead and rhythm player like in AFD days? I can certainly see where a "stunt" player with the capabilities of Bucket or Ron would be needed for certain songs , but didn't Fortus and Finck have this worked out before pre-Ron?
I would think that if Axl wants to continue to go in a similar direction, then he'd stick with the 3 guitar approach. He was leaning that way when Slash was still in the band, so unless his thoughts have changed, I'd expect that to still be the case. I don't think it' a necessity, but rather a preference of his. I also don't think he'd want to bring in yet another guitar player unless it's someone he's worked with before or knows quite well.

I would think he'd love to get Robin and Bucket back into the fold, but as many have mentioned, I think Bucket would be a longshot. If Robin comes back, I think he'd need to get a Bucket/Ron type player. If 2 guitarists is the answer, you're going back in time. So in that sense, you might as well reconcile with Slash and work around that. I don't think that's likely, but I can't really see Slash, Richard/Izzy, and Robin/Ron/Bucket on the same stage.

But nobody knows for sure. Things could get interesting.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #265 on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »

I would like to hear Slash's take on Catcher in the Rye, Street of Dreams and This I love.
Me too!

Let's not forget, when YES got back together, they still opened the shows with Rhythm of Love.
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #266 on: July 28, 2015, 11:21:30 AM »

I've never really wanted a reunion. But I do have a strong feeling it may happen and perhaps band members know this which is why they are moving on.

Which is what happened with KISS, right?  The other 2 saw the writing on the wall?

Sorry I'm coming in super late, and I haven't read the thread entirely, but the difference with KISS is they were doing the conventions, Peter was brought up on stage. then there was Unplugged where Peter and Ace played with. The funny thing is Peter and Ace are gone again, now you have two people in their make up (I liked before how they had different makeup). I also just posted on FB last week how I kinda miss the 90's Revenge era KISS.

With Guns, we'll see where we go from here. I'm saving my money for the reunion tickets just in case. But if it goes that route, I hope it is for the right reasons and we don't see them leaving again.

Time will tell.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #267 on: July 28, 2015, 11:52:34 AM »

A few people have said another album was never coming out or will never come out. So I'm not sure why they think this is such a bad thing if they believe that. If we were getting nothing before, then we're no worse off today than we were yesterday.

I can only speak for myself, but it was at least theoretical.  Now, its hard to even see that.

I take these recent defections, and sudden walking back of comments from Richard as a terrible sign.  Not just that there is nothing in the immediate future, but you might want to pack a lunch for the wait which could be a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnng one.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #268 on: July 28, 2015, 12:01:46 PM »

First off, a big thanks to DJ for all the work he did in GNR and for writing the fans such an open an honest letter.  I am really excited about Sixx:AM, they seem to really be catching on with the last record, I hope it continues.  In my opinion each record they put out is better than their last.  

I have a few thoughts on the whole GNR situation.  First there is no way this can be interpreted as "exciting" or "good' news.  Losing your lead guitar player, (who also by the way seemed to be the most vocal in the group about actually recording new music and moving the band forward) is not exciting, at least not to me.  I've said it many times about DJ, the guy is really great at building songs.  His riffs and solos compliment each other perfectly.  I can't really think of many modern guitar players who are as good at him at matching a solo to a song so well without repeating themselves in every song.  I was was really looking forward to what he could do with Axl, and it sucks that we won't be able to hear that collaboration.  DJ is not just some replacement guitarist as I have heard a few call him, he is a writer/producer who really could have brought something unique to the next GNR record.

With all that said, just because this seems like bad news today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.  We have no idea what the plans are behind the scenes.  We will just have to wait and see.  I am definitely not going to write the band off over this.    The band may stay dormant for the next decade,  they could drop a double album on iTunes later this afternoon, or it could be something in the middle of those two extremes.  Who knows?  I know I don't.  

IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #269 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »

It must be incredibly frustrating for talented musicians like DJ and Ron to be put in a position where you are playing someone elses great tunes.Yes you get paid, yes you get press/recognition...but both seemed pretty gung ho publicly about putting their own touch into gnr music...being a part of producing new music. I am a huge Axl fan, both songwriting and vocals...and look forward to hearing everything he has done, but the revolving door of guitarists does not bode well for someone who would like to have a new album or see the band live every couple years.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2015, 12:11:05 PM »

Richard again yesterday repeated they plan on working in 2016, Frank said in his questions asked on gunsnroses.com that 2016 will be a lot of fun, both said the focus to get the album out. Who knows what will happen, but even as of recently the other members are saying positive things for the future.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2015, 12:13:06 PM »

First off, a big thanks to DJ for all the work he did in GNR and for writing the fans such an open an honest letter.  I am really excited about Sixx:AM, they seem to really be catching on with the last record, I hope it continues.  In my opinion each record they put out is better than their last.  

I have a few thoughts on the whole GNR situation.  First there is no way this can be interpreted as "exciting" or "good' news.  Losing your lead guitar player, (who also by the way seemed to be the most vocal in the group about actually recording new music and moving the band forward) is not exciting, at least not to me.  I've said it many times about DJ, the guy is really great at building songs.  His riffs and solos compliment each other perfectly.  I can't really think of many modern guitar players who are as good at him at matching a solo to a song so well without repeating themselves in every song.  I was was really looking forward to what he could do with Axl, and it sucks that we won't be able to hear that collaboration.  DJ is not just some replacement guitarist as I have heard a few call him, he is a writer/producer who really could have brought something unique to the next GNR record.

With all that said, just because this seems like bad news today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.  We have no idea what the plans are behind the scenes.  We will just have to wait and see.  I am definitely not going to write the band off over this.    The band may stay dormant for the next decade,  they could drop a double album on iTunes later this afternoon, or it could be something in the middle of those two extremes.  Who knows?  I know I don't.  

To the point you make about DJ being the most vocal about wanting to write and record new music... that is spot on. So losing him is not a good thing for those who were hopeful of that coming to fruition.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »

It's only a loss if you were a fan of DJ. Not trying to be the villain, but was DJ an improvement over Robin? DJ did a great job of keeping the band in the media, where as Robin was more of a recluse, but I would take Robin's playing over DJ's.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »

It must be incredibly frustrating for talented musicians like DJ and Ron to be put in a position where you are playing someone elses great tunes.Yes you get paid, yes you get press/recognition...but both seemed pretty gung ho publicly about putting their own touch into gnr music...being a part of producing new music. I am a huge Axl fan, both songwriting and vocals...and look forward to hearing everything he has done, but the revolving door of guitarists does not bode well for someone who would like to have a new album or see the band live every couple years.

I agree and I think that is part of the reason why both of them left.  That is not reading in between the lines or putting words in their mouth,  it is obvious.  Both projects they left GNR for had one thing in common, it was a vehicle to create new music.  DJ even said it in his letter.  

Now that doesn't mean there was all this drama behind the scenes or frustration about putting out a new record as some people seem to suggest.  I think it was more like "well I like creating music and this opportunity allows me to do that so I'm going to do that."
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »

I agree and I think that is part of the reason why both of them left.  That is not reading in between the lines or putting words in their mouth,  it is obvious.  Both projects they left GNR for had one thing in common, it was a vehicle to create new music.  DJ even said it in his letter.  

Now that doesn't mean there was all this drama behind the scenes or frustration about putting out a new record as some people seem to suggest.  I think it was more like "well I like creating music and this opportunity allows me to do that so I'm going to do that."

DJ and Ron were opposites?Ron was the outsider who never really fit in?and DJ was Axl?s lap dog who seemed to have a seat at the table.  Yet, presumably both left (in part) for the same reason, just like the others before them.  In the end, these guys are musicians and want to create music.

There is no way that losing ? of a band is exciting.  I appreciate DJ for his letter.  It is interesting that he decided to write a letter.  He could?ve said nothing at all?we?ve been reminded how many times by people here that the band is on hiatus so there?s nothing to be in or out of.  To publicly pull the trigger shows that ? hiatus or not ? he didn?t quite care for what the future of Guns looked like for him. 
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #275 on: July 28, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »

Nothing New, This Is GUNS N' ROSES !!!

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »

[/quote]

DJ and Ron were opposites?Ron was the outsider who never really fit in?and DJ was Axl?s lap dog who seemed to have a seat at the table.  Yet, presumably both left (in part) for the same reason, just like the others before them.  In the end, these guys are musicians and want to create music.

There is no way that losing ? of a band is exciting.  I appreciate DJ for his letter.  It is interesting that he decided to write a letter.  He could?ve said nothing at all?we?ve been reminded how many times by people here that the band is on hiatus so there?s nothing to be in or out of.  To publicly pull the trigger shows that ? hiatus or not ? he didn?t quite care for what the future of Guns looked like for him. 

[/quote]

Well put. Which makes me wonder if players have caught wind that the future was going to have little in store for them.

Only time will tell.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2015, 01:16:13 PM »

I know this is not the side you are taking here, but I find it funny that certain people want official confirmation of everything... but claim some official hiatus that has never been confirmed.

Then there is a group that would salivate over a letter signed at the bottom by Axl laying out the current state and membership of the band (no matter how it makes the 'former members' look), yet DJ writes a perfectly classy letter that most people (our admin here included) think was exactly that... classy... and somehow this 'Axl does no wrong' group is pissed that DJ made it publicly official like it wasn't his right to update his fans. This is the group of people I called sheep in another thread.

I think the ability to retain talent is a huge issue here... unless your favorite guitar player in the history of the band is Richard (which btw would not be a terrible pick for that title), your guy is gone and probably not coming back. The Bucket and Robin people really need to let the past be the past, they are both not here for a reason, and that reason has only gotten worse over time.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:17:56 PM by C0ma » Logged
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »

Bring back Gary Sunshine!

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #279 on: July 28, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »

This 2012 interview says a lot...

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/61421
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: