Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dizzy/Richard interview
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dizzy/Richard interview  (Read 5547 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: June 25, 2015, 07:17:51 AM »

Thanks to Silent Jay, mygnr for the link: http://www.verdammnis.com/interviews.php?id=107

THE DEAD DAISIES | INTERVIEW

Influenced by '70s and early '80s hard rock, THE DEAD DAISIES are a powerful musical collective created by a rotating lineup that features some of the world's best rock musicians. Their second album is titled "Revoluci?n" and features bassist Marco Mendoza (THIN LIZZY, WHITESNAKE), keyboard player Dizzy Reed (GUNS N' ROSES), guitarist David Lowy (MINK, RED PHOENIX), lead guitarist Richard Fortus (GUNS N' ROSES, THE PSYCHEDELIC FURS), John Corabi (M?TLEY CR?E, RATT) on vocals, Brian Tichy (OZZY OSBOURNE, BILLY IDOL) on drums and additional drumming from Jackie Barnes (TIN LIDS, JIMMY BARNES). Also included on the album is Cuban musician Yaimi Karell Lay on percussion. A day before their show at Zenith Paris we met Richard Fortus and Dizzy Reed to talk about this new release.

The new album 'Revoluci?n' is the follow-up to 2013's self-titled debut and is available since June the first. How is it greeted by the fans and the critics so far ?

Richard Fortus : For my part, I must admit that I do check the feedback and it has been excellent so far. But it's only been a couple of weeks, it was just released, as you said, so I don't want to cry victory too early. I hope the reviews carry on being positive. It feels always amazing to read nice words towards things you do, towards your work. It's very fulfilling for sure.
Dizzy Reed : It's like preaching to the choir. You can't really help it, you can't help checking out what people say about things you've put so much efort into. Fortunately for us, it's been very positive so far and we can just hope it continues. Let's keep our fingers crossed ! Please, if you read this interview, check our new album out. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

As it happens, for those who haven't heard it yet, what would you say about it, music-wise, to make them want to give it a listen. What can they expect ?

Dizzy Reed : Hum, I think we wanted to make something that was honest, genuine, straightforward, something full of passion. We wanted songs that come from the depth of our hearts and souls. Because, that's actually what we do best. In general, if you give 100 pourcent all of the time, things will work out in the end. I guess you can hear it on the album. Music-wise, people can expect classic rock songs with a Rock N Roll spirit. If you appreciate any of that, rock-oriented music from the late 1960s to the late 1980s and passion, you'll get satisfaction. I don't know if I'm being objective, but 'Revoluci?n' is a great album (smiles).
Richard Fortus : It's very classic-sounding. If you're a fan of classic rock, you'll definitely appreciate this record. It's worth checking out !

In late February, the band played in Havana, Cuba which proved a revelation to you. What you experienced there made you start conceiving the new album. Can you tell us more about this experience ? What was so special and inspiring about Cuba ?

Dizzy Reed : Te trip to Cuba was certainly inspiring, yes it was ? very much. Just to be around with the people of Cuba and play for them was fantastic. People were really responsive to us. We played together with absolutely fantastic musicians too. So much passion was coming out from them. People of Cuba are passionate, it was a refreshing and very much inspiring experience. It was like a spark, we just had that special connection that couldn't go away. We clicked instantly with the country and its people. I can't explain it with further details, it just felt good. Teir enthusiasm and excitement just sparked energy, creative energy in us. I don't think we wrote about what we experienced there, we didn't write about the country so to speak. We just got influenced by its energy and passion. Tey kind of breathe new life into ourselves. We were, each of us, immediately absorbed by the creative atmosphere that was everywhere in Cuba. We already wrote songs before this trip, but when we got there, the passion that was floating all around us, gave us the inspiration to write the rest of the album. We then recorded it within five weeks.
Richard Fortus : It was really exciting for us to see fans of Rock N Roll being so hungry for it and so enthusiastic. It was beautiful to witness it. I think the rest of the world has become somewhat jaded and satiated. We hadn't seen people so much stimulated and agitated by the music, by Rock N Roll, in a while. We loved it, really !

Tis event was held within the context of a cultural exchange organised by the Cuban Ministry of Culture, the Cuban Institute of Music and the Cuban Rock Agency. It made Te Dead Daisies become the first western rock band to play in Cuba since the Obama administration reopened trade ties. How does it feel to be part of such historic event ?

Dizzy Reed : It's really cool ! Music ties people together. It's a powerful instrument for positive change. To be part of this human connexion is really fantastic. And, to be able to do it, to play music for a living is definitely a blessing. I think we did a good job and we learned a lot. I walked away as a better musician... just because I spent time with many talented people. Being around with positive people definitely provide benefits in your lives. It gives strength.
Richard Fortus : Tere is so much passion about music. It's a very special instrument. It's powerful
and usually has a massive impact on people, wherever they come, whoever they are. It has the ability to alter our moods and emotions. It influences thoughts and feelings. Being part of a historic event through music is very intense, it goes beyond words.

You said you guys have learnt a lot from this trip. Can you give specifics ?

Dizzy Reed : I learned that I really like the Cuba Libre (ndlr cocktail with rhum) (laughs). Seriously, in the process of creative collaborations, of playing music with talented people for passionate people, I learned why I started doing this in the first place. It made me realize I've chosen the right path. Tis trip had a positive impact on me. And I guess it had a massive impact on all of us.
Richard Fortus : Definitely !

The album was produced by Craig Porteils (GUNS N' ROSES, BILLY IDOL) and mixed by Ben Grosse (MARILYN MANSON, SEVENDUST). What were you expecting from those collaborations ? How did they affect the sound direction of the songs ?

Richard Fortus : Actually, Dizzy worked with Graig prior to this record.
Dizzy Reed : Yeah but last time I saw him, he was the assistant engineer of the GUNS N ROSES' for the song 'Knockin On Heaven's Door'. Tat was a very long time ago. Well, we needed someone in Australia and he was available. He did a great job on 'Revoluci?n'.
Richard Fortus : We worked him too hard (laughs).
Dizzy Reed : We did (laughs) ! We demanded too much of him, constantly. We didn't take any days- of, it must have been tough for him. We were so earger to work, we were so inspired. He got a couple of days-of, but, as for us, we worked straight through. We had so much to do and it's not an easy job to do well. It's not an easy job, period. It's very demanding. You have to remain so focused and strongly motivated. It's tiring, you know. You have to remain on the alert in case magic happens. You can't miss any opportunity. You have to be on the lookout to catch that special performance.
Richard Fortus : As for Ben, I worked with him on a few diferent records before. I wanted him to work on this one because I knew he would fit the job perfectly. We come from the same musical background. He have the same tastes in music, we have the same influences so it was obvious that he would understand and catch right away what we were looking for, music-wise.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:18:16 AM »

Te band is currently touring with KISS on their 40th-anniversary tour. How's it going so far ?

Dizzy Reed : It's been going great so far.
Richard Fortus : KISS' audiences have been welcoming us very well.
Dizzy Reed : Yeah, for whatever reason, KISS' fans are pretty stocked that we are there. Tey have been treating us great which we feel blessed about. It's always challenging to open shows for big names like KISS, so we can just hope it continues and makes people want to support us even further. Richard Fortus : Every night is a challenge. Everytime everything goes well, it's a great victory.

Tommy Clufetos is the guy who plays the drums on stage with you even though Brian Tichy (and Jackie Barnes) played on the album. Why have you chosen to have a rotating lineup for the band ?

Richard Fortus : Actually, Brian wasn't available to do the rest of the album and this tour. Otherwise, he would be with us right now. Tommy does a great job though.
Dizzy Reed : We just have a lot of talented friends we want to work with. We want to collaborate as much as possible with them. Trough years, we made connections, we developed relationships. It's amazing to be able to work with so many talented musicians who happen to be your friends. Tey come from the same place, we have the same tastes. So it's always very efcient to work with them. It's cool to have the opportunity to hang out with them (laughs). We're happy that Tommy joined us. He's doing a good job, he's a great guy and great drummer !

How has John Corabi got involved in the project ?

Dizzy Reed : Again, we were looking for someone and he kind of was the first name that poped in our heads. We were looking for someone who is a great frontman, a great performer. I've worked with him in the past and I knew he would fit the job perfectly. I've done acoustic shows, just the two of us, they were amazing experiences. We've done a few other things together. But well, it turns out, I was correct to choose him for TDD.
Richard Fortus : We had a few other names in our heads. We spoke to them but John stood out. He's a great guy to hang out with. He always has stories to tell. He's funny. He's down-to-earth. If you catch him later on after this interview, talk to him, he will tell you funny stories (laughs).

What does the DD bring you as a plus compared to the GNR ?

Richard Fortus : I feel a lot freer with the DD compared to the GNR.

How much will you be involved in the creation process of the new GNR album ? Have you written new stuff ? How's it going ?

Richard Fortus : Definitely going to be involved. Tere's so much stuf that was done. I mean, there's two or three albums' worth of material, seriously ! We've all been handing files back and forth to one another. We so look forward to getting at it seriously and release a new album as soon as possible.
Dizzy Reed : It's good stuf ! Tat will come out awesome. When will it come out ? We just don't know it yet. Only Axl knows and he's very secretive. Be patient !

Tanks both of you for your time.

Dizzy Reed : Tanks for having us.
Richard Fortus : Tanks.

Sweetness is a virtue
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »

Cheesy ....that's all I got.

"When will it come out ? We just don't know it yet. Only Axl knows and he's very secretive. Be patient! "

too funny

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:03:58 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »

Cheesy ....that's all I got.

"When will it come out ? We just don't know it yet. Only Axl knows and he's very secretive. Be patient! "

too funny

I think after all these years we are all very patient... Some of us more than others : )

However there is nothing I despise more than one of GNR's members over the past how many years saying how much material there is .

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 12:18:42 PM »

Seriously? Nothing? Not even when you overboil your eggs? Or religious fundamentalists trying to force their beliefs on others?

I like when they repeat this, making me confident we'll hear more, sooner or later. Much more...at least two more albums ok

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »

Well over the years if they keep working on new songs and keep passes field around.  Soon enough they will have 6 or 7 albums worth of new material to release
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »

Dizzy Reed: It's good stuff! That will come out awesome. When will it come out? We just don't know it yet. Only Axl knows and he's very secretive. Be patient!

What happened to new album and tour in 2016.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »

Dizzy Reed: It's good stuff! That will come out awesome. When will it come out? We just don't know it yet. Only Axl knows and he's very secretive. Be patient!

By the sound of that sentence from Dizzy it sounds to me like Axl is working on the record and they're only waiting for a release date. Could it be the music is done for the next release, and vocals, mix and mastering must be completed. It sorta ties in with Richard's comment before Christmas, "Axl is in the studio now".

Sweetness is a virtue
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »

Seriously? Nothing? Not even when you overboil your eggs? Or religious fundamentalists trying to force their beliefs on others?

I like when they repeat this, making me confident we'll hear more, sooner or later. Much more...at least two more albums ok

Yeah... not a fan of religious nutjobs... but other than that... this is a very close second...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »

However there is nothing I despise more than one of GNR's members over the past how many years saying how much material there is .

It just so tired at this point, I agree.

There's so much of it!  And MY GOD, is it awesome!!

Yawn.

And I'm not super pumped to read they are still at the "passing files to each other" stage of the game.  Still.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »

By the sound of that sentence from Dizzy it sounds to me like Axl is working on the record and they're only waiting for a release date. Could it be the music is done for the next release, and vocals, mix and mastering must be completed. It sorta ties in with Richard's comment before Christmas, "Axl is in the studio now".

I'm talking about the interview with Richard from 2 weeks ago where he said GN'R will release new music and tour next year.

Here, Dizzy says "we just don't know" when it will come out.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »

I'm talking about the interview with Richard from 2 weeks ago where he said GN'R will release new music and tour next year.

Hope for the first, but believe in the second.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »

I don't have the exact quote in front of me, but I think that was an assumption made by Richard based on the information about starting to tour again next year, which also was backed up by Frank's comment.

What I think has happened: There's been a long period of down-time since the last tour. Axl's been in the studio finishing up. Richard and Frank has gotten word that they will start gearing up for a tour next year. Richard assumes this will coin side with the release of the album. He doesn't know for sure if that's the case, but it's fair to think that. He says "tour and album next year" in an interview.

Sweetness is a virtue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »

I don't have the exact quote in front of me, but I think that was an assumption made by Richard based on the information about starting to tour again next year, which also was backed up by Frank's comment.

Richard is specifically asked about the follow-up to Chinese Democracy and he says it should be out next year, and they will be touring.

In this interview Dizzy says we just don't know. 

What I think has happened: There's been a long period of down-time since the last tour. Axl's been in the studio finishing up. Richard and Frank has gotten word that they will start gearing up for a tour next year. Richard assumes this will coin side with the release of the album. He doesn't know for sure if that's the case, but it's fair to think that. He says "tour and album next year" in an interview.

You're making a lot of assumptions here.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »

Richard is specifically asked about the follow-up to Chinese Democracy and he says it should be out next year, and they will be touring.

Here Dizzy says we just don't know. 

"Should" be out yes. It's probable.

You're making a lot of assumptions here.

Of course! It's what I think happened.

But,

It's all based on the information we got isn't it? Richard has said that Axl's in the studio laying down vocals. Frank said he got word that they will be touring late 2015/early 2016, he didn't say anything about the album. Richard got asked about the album, and said it should be out next year. Isn't it plausible that Frank and Richard got the same memo about touring?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:01:20 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »

More like it's possible.  It would be more believable if Richard hadn't said the same thing in April of 2014.

It's all based on the information we got isn't it? Richard has said that Axl's in the studio laying down vocals. Frank said he got word that they will be touring late 2015/early 2016, he didn't say anything about the album. Richard got asked about the album, and said it should be out next year. Isn't it plausible that Frank and Richard got the same memo about touring?

Frank didn't say he got word?

Axl Rose - Fan Club: The band has plans for an upcoming tour?

Frank Ferrer: There are always plans for a tour. We hope that later this year or early next!

Now there is a memo. Cheesy

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »

More like it's possible.  It would be more believable if Richard hadn't said the same thing in April of 2014.

What's the problem here then? You initially asked "what happened to new album and tour in 2016" as if Richard had said so for certain. When we can establish that there were some uncertainty about Richard's answer two weeks ago, simply saying "we don't know", like Dizzy, serves the same purpose, albeit a little more negative for the fans to hear.

Should Richard have said it like that if they don't know for certain? History tells us... probably not.

Frank didn't say he got word?

Axl Rose - Fan Club: The band has plans for an upcoming tour?

Frank Ferrer: There are always plans for a tour. We hope that later this year or early next!

Now there is a memo. Cheesy

Yes there's a memo, you didn't get it?  Wink
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:24:29 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »

What's the problem here then? You initially asked "what happened to new album and tour in 2016" as if Richard had said so for certain. When we can establish that there were some uncertainty about Richard's answer two weeks ago, simply saying "we don't know", like Dizzy, serves the same purpose, albeit a little more negative for the fans to hear.

Should Richard have said it like that if they don't know for certain? History tells us... probably not.

One interview we get it should be out next year, the next interview it's we don't know.  I think Dizzy's answer was probably more accurate.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »

One interview we get it should be out next year, the next interview it's we don't know.  I think Dizzy's answer was probably more accurate.

Time will tell. It's safer to say "we don't know".

Sweetness is a virtue
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 05:45:33 PM »

Time will tell. It's safer to say "we don't know".

"We don't know " would just be the truth ...

These guys don't have a clue about how why what where and when in regards to an album being released.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: