Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:11:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can we put the name issue to bed...the man's words
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can we put the name issue to bed...the man's words  (Read 33905 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »

ICP were absolute nobodies when he played with them.

And after they were international superstars? Wink

Hahahahaha

The man makes a point.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2015, 02:36:54 AM »

Financial? You think he did it for free?  Tongue

Also, it's about building the brand.

/jarmo

I think he virtually has in the past, especially when a pal such as Lemmy or an ex-gunner comes calling.  Obviously he will receive mechanical royalties but how much of those will he get from certain collaborations? A Matt Sorum solo album?

On your second point, he is dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't, really.
mortismurphy
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2015, 02:41:39 AM »

Didn't you just say earlier that Slash admitted the guitars on the albums suffered due to the studio he recorded in that was his original idea?  He admitted he made a mistake and I am sure he learned from it. 

I have said for years now that I don't understand this whole 'sell-out' idea.  If Slash wants to play another Super Bowl with Fergie then more power to him.  If Axl wants to do another Budweiser commercial for the next World Cup, great, go for it buddy.  In the end its their lives and they can do what they want.  In my personal life, I try to be as productive as possible every waking moment.  I don't really have 'down time' where I don't have something planned.  I might spend my time doing some stupid shit (and I certainly have done that), but at least I can learn from it and grow as a person.  Axl, Slash, Duff, whoever are going to continue doing their thing.  If we are lucky as fans that means more music/touring/books or whatever keeps them in the public view.  That doesn't mean it's always going to be perfect and shielded from criticism, but can't we just be happy in general that the artists who we all admired at least at some point are continuing to share their talents with us? 

Yes I did say it. And I also said people will notice and comment on it.

I also should've said that I'm expecting the Slash Defense Force to be out in full effect claiming it's not a big deal. Nobody said it was a big deal, nobody claimed he's not allowed to "whore himself out". It's his choice.

But when your image is so much about being cool, you have to be careful. Saving money and making money can be very cool. But at some point if you step over that fine line, you'll be labeled a sell out.

I still fail to see how this differs from any other entertainer.
Most people, regardless of profession, are getting something in return for any type of service rendered.

Not everybody built their image around being the "cool guy in a top hat".

If you market something one way and act in another way, some will notice. Slash went from playing with Iggy Pop, Lenny Kravitz, Michael Jackson to playing with The Black Eyed Peas and being on various TV shows that weren't necessarily his "target" audience.

Some GN'R fans don't agree with all the decisions he's made, just like many don't agree with Axl's decisions. But they still choose to come to a GN'R site to point it out...

/jarmo

Well I cannot disagree with you there. I have liked some of the collaborations but some of them have been awful. The one that really shocked me was P Diddy at some award show.
mortismurphy
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2015, 02:58:56 AM »

I guess we live in a world where being out there doing things is uncool, but holing up in your mansion for the better part of a decade is the height of nobility?

They are both living their lives.  How cool or uncool one finds each path is the very definition of subjective.

They are both fuck ups in opposite ways. Axl stays in bed all day and never does much of anything whereas Slash whores himself out to just about anyone who can be bothered to ask. Stick them together and you have the perfect rock star.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2015, 06:17:27 AM »

I think he virtually has in the past, especially when a pal such as Lemmy or an ex-gunner comes calling.  Obviously he will receive mechanical royalties but how much of those will he get from certain collaborations? A Matt Sorum solo album?

I think some appearances sit better with his fans, or rock fans. Motorhead is always gonna be cool. Insane Clown Posse or the Black Eyes Peas.... Not so well.

If he had spent time in interviews talking about how much he loves the BEP's music, then it would make "sense". And some of the criticism might've been avoided. One of those "He's a fan and he loves their music so of course he'd want to play with them". But when that isn't happening, the "sell out" yells will appear...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »

I think some appearances sit better with his fans, or rock fans. Motorhead is always gonna be cool. Insane Clown Posse or the Black Eyes Peas.... Not so well.

If he had spent time in interviews talking about how much he loves the BEP's music, then it would make "sense". And some of the criticism might've been avoided. One of those "He's a fan and he loves their music so of course he'd want to play with them". But when that isn't happening, the "sell out" yells will appear...

/jarmo

But why does he need to justify himself?  I am willing to bet that he is not a fan of all the music or artists he has collaborated with, but that is why I appreciate what he does.  He is making himself more diverse.  I don't get why this is such a touchy subject for so many people.  When Slash is on his deathbed and looking back on life he is going to have so many amazing stories to tell, and some not so amazing, but he did it and experienced all that life had to offer him, good and bad.  Slash is the type of person I aspire to be (not musically, I am a horrible musician but I am talking about other aspects of life).  Make the most of every day you have. 
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2015, 09:43:10 AM »

/jarmo

But why does he need to justify himself?  I am willing to bet that he is not a fan of all the music or artists he has collaborated with, but that is why I appreciate what he does.  He is making himself more diverse.  I don't get why this is such a touchy subject for so many people.  When Slash is on his deathbed and looking back on life he is going to have so many amazing stories to tell, and some not so amazing, but he did it and experienced all that life had to offer him, good and bad.  Slash is the type of person I aspire to be (not musically, I am a horrible musician but I am talking about other aspects of life).  Make the most of every day you have. 

An argument can be made that what Slash did by playing with MJ, BEP, etc., was a very ?rock n roll? move, because it was unconventional.  Everyone was telling him to do something (or in this case, not to do something) and he decided to say ?fuck you all, I?m going to do what I want, when I want, and I?m not going to be pressured to conform to what a rock n roll artist should do.?  Kind of sounds like someone else too, right???
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2015, 09:50:06 AM »

But that was also rooted in the (now seen to be foolish, in my opinion) belief Axl was real interested in doing new stuff with his new band. 

Yet as I'm watching residencies built around 25 year old albums, and setlists with more and more older songs in there...at that point, shit, why not get the real band?

I still hold out the slimmest of vain hopes Axl has one more run in him with the new band.  I still take Axl at his word in that interview last year, until he proves otherwise.

I feel you a little. *going back to listening to babymetal* Tongue

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »

Nobody needs to justify anything. I'm only explaining why some fans think of him in a certain light. That's all.
While you might not agree with those fans, I'm trying to explain why. Not saying whether or not it's right or wrong.

Some are quick to say these fans are wrong, yet when provided with some examples, they still maintain their opinion that nothing is wrong. It's fine. Just telling you why the other fans have that perception that he's a "sell out" and will do anything for money.

What's diversifying himself and keeping his name out there to some, is whoring himself out to others.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »

How can you defend the Budweiser ad yet defend Slash and the Black Eye Peas appearance. To me they are both shining examples of selling out.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2015, 07:03:32 PM »

As Ginger King said... if Slash got paid a million dollars to perform at some rich guys wedding... he would have been slaughtered here...

I can't believe that in 2015 we are still bashing Axl for this or bashing Slash for that in order to defend them in their stupid high school drama filled feud.

I'm grateful for both of them and their work post breakup.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »

How can you defend the Budweiser ad yet defend Slash and the Black Eye Peas appearance. To me they are both shining examples of selling out.
I think for some, they can rationalize someone endorsing a product they themselves approve of. If an artist performs with an act they don't care for, it might not sit with them as well. I think a lot of us have enjoyed a Bud or 2,000 over the years. Not many of us have "openly" rocked out to the Black Eyed Peas on a frequent basis.

The whole business is based on "selling out". It's the name of the game. But some things you can stomach more than others.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:09:30 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
mortismurphy
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:49 AM »

I think for some, they can rationalize someone endorsing a product they themselves approve of. If an artist performs with an act they don't care for, it might not sit with them as well. I think a lot of us have enjoyed a Bud or 2,000 over the years. Not many of us have "openly" rocked out to the Black Eyed Peas on a frequent basis.

The whole business is based on "selling out". It's the name of the game. But some things you can stomach more than others.

I do not know how anybody can possibly rationalise the truly embarrassing Budweiser ad. At least Slash's appearance was a live appearance and therefore broadly musically. The advert consisted of merely a vacant looking Axl raising an arm with a bottle of terrible beer alongside two females. In truth they are both examples of selling out but one law exists for one guy (Axl) that does not exist for another (Slash).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:52:14 AM by mortismurphy » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »

Since you got so much time on your hands, why don't you make a list of the adverts Axl's appeared in versus Slash.

By the way, the Budweiser commercial was done for Brazil's World Cup, probably the biggest TV event of last year.
It's not like he was playing with the Best Buy band or trying to sell you a VW....

/jarmo

GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »

I do not know how anybody can possibly rationalise the truly embarrassing Budweiser ad.

Is there a facepalm emoticon here?
You do realize we are talking about a band that put a song called "Nightrain" on their very first LP, right?
"Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions." -Axl Rose
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »

Good point.  hihi

Maybe he thought it was about taking a train at night...  Wink

/jarmo

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »

Come on now.
Having a go at Slash?s BEP performance is all well and good, but to turn around and claim Axl?s Budweiser ad was any less of an embarrassment is a bit of a mind bender.

Ideally I?ll never have to hear either train wreck rendition, that both Slash and Axl respectively endorsed, or find myself in a position where I?m forced to drink the canned/bottled piss they call Budweiser.

I wouldn't wish these scenarios on any of you fine folk, either.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2015, 10:13:12 AM »

Since you got so much time on your hands, why don't you make a list of the adverts Axl's appeared in versus Slash.

By the way, the Budweiser commercial was done for Brazil's World Cup, probably the biggest TV event of last year.
It's not like he was playing with the Best Buy band or trying to sell you a VW....

/jarmo

So in the USA, the Super Bowl is sort of this massive TV event as well....

I am with LongGoneDay, I cannot for the life of me understand how either is different from the other or more acceptable.  I am just happy when any members of the AFD band are out there doing anything.  Whether or not I personally like what they're doing doesn't matter in the end, at least they gave me the opportunity to judge it for myself by getting out there.  I guarantee if Izzy was doing TV advertising for shampoo next week we'd all freak out because he was finally back in the public eye. 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »

Come on now.
Having a go at Slash?s BEP performance is all well and good, but to turn around and claim Axl?s Budweiser ad was any less of an embarrassment is a bit of a mind bender.

Ideally I?ll never have to hear either train wreck rendition, that both Slash and Axl respectively endorsed, or find myself in a position where I?m forced to drink the canned/bottled piss they call Budweiser.

I wouldn't wish these scenarios on any of you fine folk, either.
Again, if you have such strong feelings against Budweiser, and it sounds like you do, you're not going to like Axl endorsing the product. I like Bud, and saw the ad once online, so it didn't have much of an impact on my life. Not a fan of the Black Eyed Peas and I didn't think it was one of Slash's finer moments, and I saw that one live so it had a larger impact. It was cool to see him there, but it's a stretch to say that Axl's Bud commercial equates to Slash's numerous public appearances. There's a reason South Park made an entire episode about Slash playing at malls, 8 year old birthday parties, etc.

There's nothing wrong with getting out there and pushing your brand, but people are going to comment on it, and sometimes in a negative light. Same goes for Axl. Lord knows he gets plenty of criticism. It's all par for the course.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »

Sure, one is an advert, another one is a performance.

Like I said, this was about WHY certain fans think of Slash as a "sell out". It's not about what Axl's appearance in that a commercial means to you.
Nice way to switch focus, again.

So it's been established that making a commercial is "bad".
What if you make multiple ones AND appearances with people who you don't consider your inspirations or don't necessarily listen to?

I guess still, the answer is "but Axl made that one commercial....".

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: