Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?  (Read 59648 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2015, 08:53:16 AM »

Read a recent interview with Ricky Warwick about after initially planning to, opting to not release new material under the Thin Lizzy moniker out of respect for the late, great Phil?s legacy. He/they 100% made the right choice, in my opinion.

I wonder if Axl ever struggles with this himself, (obviously no one is truly dead in this case, thankfully, just the classic era of the band) and if that is one possible reason for his decline in creative release.
Obviously it didn?t stop him from releasing Chinese, but perhaps he views things differently having seen how it was eventually received, and after tensions have eased with some former members.

If we go back 10 years, I think this wouldn't cross Axl's mind. To him, there's only one Guns N' Roses, the current one which is always evolving. Something that's been true to him from day one I think.

I lean against him not having too many thoughts about it to this day, he's always seemed pretty determined and clear about what he considers to be "Guns N' Roses", although he hasn't spoken that much about that aspect in recent years. But as you say, with him having spent more and more time with both Izzy and Duff again, his thoughts might have gone back to the old days again, thoughts about writing and recording with the past members. I'm thinking about the experiences they shared while creating music, it could be experiences that he had forgotten about and then they've started to come back to some degree. If it's something that could affect him I'm not that sure about though.

I mean, Izzy and Axl together, writing songs, that's a team who's right up there amongst the greats and he probably knows that.

Yea, it?s just mildly interesting now because fences have since been mended with Duff, Izzy and to an extent Matt, Steven.
I?m sure in the aftermath of the classic lineup, Axl wanted to show the world he could carry on without the others.
Just like I?m sure Slash, Duff & Matt wanted to prove they could be successful sans Axl with VR.
It?s just human nature.

It was probably, and perhaps still is difficult to look back and truly appreciate what they accomplished together when there was so much animosity between them.

Maybe since tensions have cooled, what they accomplished and what made them successful is more clear.
Maybe he holds that more sacred than before.

But like you said, I wouldn?t be surprised if it?s not the case at all, and if he just views it as the necessary evolution of GN?R.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2015, 08:56:49 AM »

It's so great to come back and read the same stuff about the same topics written by the same people saying the same things.

Especially when so much of it has not only been rehashed into oblivion, but, in some cases, demonstrated to be so wrongheaded based on actual "real world" events, situations, conditions, etc.

Anyway...carry on.

And you figure a post like this is the best way to combat it?

As opposed to, say, pushing an existing conversation in a different direction?  Or starting a new topic altogether?

I guess I'm curious what the roadblocks are that are preventing such courses of action.  But, perhaps once identified, we can all put our heads together and try and find a way forward.

I'm just thinking out loud here, really.  There are no bad ideas in a brainstorming session, people.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2015, 08:59:43 AM »

I saw both Guns n Roses and Slash in 2013.  One of them was a headlining act...the other opened for Def Leppard.

Sorry Mortis, even today, Axl and Guns still carry more star power than Slash and co.

Here, they opened for Aerosmith.

I guess you could say Aerosmith is the bigger name, which is obviously true.

But if Slash and his band of merry men could do their own headlining thing in a decent sized place, wouldn't they?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »

Read a recent interview with Ricky Warwick about after initially planning to, opting to not release new material under the Thin Lizzy moniker out of respect for the late, great Phil?s legacy. He/they 100% made the right choice, in my opinion.

I wonder if Axl ever struggles with this himself, (obviously no one is truly dead in this case, thankfully, just the classic era of the band) and if that is one possible reason for his decline in creative release.
Obviously it didn?t stop him from releasing Chinese, but perhaps he views things differently having seen how it was eventually received, and after tensions have eased with some former members.

It could be, but I wouldn't fret over it if I'm him.

The name had huge value.  Trying to keep it was the right move.

To be fair, I always take this from the business perspective and little else.  People start talking about legacies, disrespect and "slaps in the face" and whatnot...I don't know.  I sort of roll my eyes.

Its a rock band.  Its a business.  It was in the best business interest of this rock band to maintain the name "Guns N' Roses".

Axl was smart and the other two were dummies, as I see it.

If you want to tell me you wish Axl had been more ambitious trying to plant his flag when he took over to do his own thing, hey, I'm right with you.

But I don't think his failure to take a real shot means putting himself in the position to do so in the first place was the wrong move.

I understand the business side of it 100%.
It makes all the financial sense in the world to secure the name.
The name is a money printing machine. An indestructible money making machine.
It requires little to no maintenance. Stamp the name on product, product will sell. Got it.

I?m not even really talking about the initial decision to move forward without the others.
I?m talking about today, after the hassles/headaches he endured creating Chinese Democracy, and after it was released to lukewarm reception, and after he?s mended fences with the majority of the alumni. Is it easier for him to look back on that era fondly now that the animosity has potentially dissipated?

He?s got a pretty good idea how another record sans the alumni, in the vein of Chinese will probably be received.
Does all that give him pause to release additional records under the GN?R moniker?
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »

maybe....

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »

and the name is a huge deal.....Roger Waters says that was the biggest mistake he ever made was under-estimating the value of the name Pink Floyd. I am quite certain Axl knew this.

"It's one of the few times that the legal profession has taught me something," Waters said. "Because when I went to these chaps and said, 'Listen we're broke, this isn't Pink Floyd anymore,' they went, 'What do you mean? That's irrelevant, it is a label and it has commercial value. You can't say it's going to cease to exist . . . you obviously don't understand English jurisprudence.'"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/roger-waters-regrets-pink-floyd-legal-battle-20130919#ixzz3dQGqniKj
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:10:52 AM by sky dog » Logged

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »

and the name is a huge deal.....Roger Waters says that was the biggest mistake he ever made was under-estimating the value of the name Pink Floyd. I am quite certain Axl knew this.

"It's one of the few times that the legal profession has taught me something," Waters said. "Because when I went to these chaps and said, 'Listen we're broke, this isn't Pink Floyd anymore,' they went, 'What do you mean? That's irrelevant, it is a label and it has commercial value. You can't say it's going to cease to exist . . . you obviously don't understand English jurisprudence.'"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/roger-waters-regrets-pink-floyd-legal-battle-20130919#ixzz3dQGqniKj
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Yup, understood.
Axl doesn?t have to worry about that, though.
He owns the name whether he releases new music or not.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »

It's so great to come back and read the same stuff about the same topics written by the same people saying the same things.

Especially when so much of it has not only been rehashed into oblivion, but, in some cases, demonstrated to be so wrongheaded based on actual "real world" events, situations, conditions, etc.

Anyway...carry on.

As opposed to, say, pushing an existing conversation in a different direction?  Or starting a new topic altogether?

I guess I'm curious what the roadblocks are that are preventing such courses of action.  But, perhaps once identified, we can all put our heads together and try and find a way forward.

I'm just thinking out loud here, really.  There are no bad ideas in a brainstorming session, people.

I don't care for Emily's approach... she's one of a kind on here... that's for sure.

But I agree with pilferk... this is in every single thread.. maybe you two should just ignore each other.

It's a very quiet time... no reason to hammer away with the same garbage every day in every thread.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »

If we go back 10 years, I think this wouldn't cross Axl's mind. To him, there's only one Guns N' Roses, the current one which is always evolving. Something that's been true to him from day one I think.

I lean against him not having too many thoughts about it to this day, he's always seemed pretty determined and clear about what he considers to be "Guns N' Roses", although he hasn't spoken that much about that aspect in recent years. But as you say, with him having spent more and more time with both Izzy and Duff again, his thoughts might have gone back to the old days again, thoughts about writing and recording with the past members. I'm thinking about the experiences they shared while creating music, it could be experiences that he had forgotten about and then they've started to come back to some degree. If it's something that could affect him I'm not that sure about though.

I mean, Izzy and Axl together, writing songs, that's a team who's right up there amongst the greats and he probably knows that.

Yea, it?s just mildly interesting now because fences have since been mended with Duff, Izzy and to an extent Matt, Steven.
I?m sure in the aftermath of the classic lineup, Axl wanted to show the world he could carry on without the others.
Just like I?m sure Slash, Duff & Matt wanted to prove they could be successful sans Axl with VR.
It?s just human nature.

It was probably, and perhaps still is difficult to look back and truly appreciate what they accomplished together when there was so much animosity between them.

Maybe since tensions have cooled, what they accomplished and what made them successful is more clear.

But like you said, I wouldn?t be surprised if it?s not the case at all, and if he just views it as the necessary evolution of GN?R.

Mending fences with Duff must have softened his stance on even Slash even if he doesn't realize it...

His beef's with both men were very similar...

I do think it will eventually lead to some kind of communication, but not a return to the band for Slash or some kind of appetite/illusions reunion.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #229 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »

It?s just human nature.

Mending fences with Duff must have softened his stance on even Slash even if he doesn't realize it...

I do think it will eventually lead to some kind of communication, but not a return to the band for Slash or some kind of appetite/illusions reunion.

I think the "beef" Axl had with Duff is/was much different than the one he had/has for Slash....

To me it seemed Axl resented Duff for hanging out with Slash and giving up on Guns in 97.   Plus all the lawsuits the two had against each other in the 2000s probably didnt help mend any fences.

The problems with Slash seem to be much deeper and personal.  Where as the problems with Duff seemed almost mostly about business
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #230 on: June 18, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »

It?s just human nature.

I think the "beef" Axl had with Duff is/was much different than the one he had/has for Slash....

To me it seemed Axl resented Duff for hanging out with Slash and giving up on Guns in 97.   Plus all the lawsuits the two had against each other in the 2000s probably didnt help mend any fences.

The problems with Slash seem to be much deeper and personal.  Where as the problems with Duff seemed almost mostly about business

Axl stating that Duff calling him stupid and a loser was part of the problem in producing lyrics is not personal enough for you?

Obviously each case is different, but there were a lot of common issues.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »

It?s just human nature.

Axl stating that Duff calling him stupid and a loser was part of the problem in producing lyrics is not personal enough for you?

I really hope Axl didnt have a issue with Duff calling him a, stupid loser...   Or a loser thats stupid, or a loser and stupid.

That seems pretty grade school and a insult that should just be laughed off.....

Next thing I am going to read is that Axl is mad at Slash because Slash called him a big dummy!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:08:20 PM by TheBaconman » Logged
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #232 on: June 18, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »

It?s just human nature.

I really hope Axl didnt have a issue with Duff calling him a, stupid loser...   Or a loser thats stupid, or a loser and stupid.

That seems pretty grade school and a insult that should just be laughed off.....

Next thing I am going to read is that Axl is mad at Slash because Slash called him a big dummy!

I cringed when Axl said that in that interview... but that's a whole 'nother story!

I just think its only natural that he's not as hot as he once was over everything, reconnecting Duff being the main reason.

So I agree with LongDayGone's overall stance.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #233 on: June 18, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »

It?s just human nature.

For years Slash publicly attempted to paint Axl as the villian in the media, by lying and manipulation as well as passive aggressive jabs, thankfully he no longer does that.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »

It?s just human nature.

For years Slash publicly attempted to paint Axl as the villian in the media, by lying and manipulation as well as passive aggressive jabs, thankfully he no longer does that.

I think substance abuse played a big part in some of those earlier Slash interviews and quotes.  Its no excuse at all, but it could be one of many reasons.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »

It?s just human nature.

I think substance abuse played a big part in some of those earlier Slash interviews and quotes.  Its no excuse at all, but it could be one of many reasons.

I think that is definitely a contributing factor, he was also married to Perla, she made a few nasty comments on her own, and undoubtedly influenced him.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #236 on: June 19, 2015, 06:56:31 AM »

Anyway...carry on.

Yup, I think it's the best way.

Because nothing else ever works.  I've/We've tried it.  Exactly the suggestions, above. Nobody points it out, but look back...how many "on another note", "on a similar topic", "Now that we've beaten that dead horse", "Moving on"'-s can you type out and/or read before you just get to a point where you have to stop, point, and call a spade, a spade. No matter how many tactics we try, the conversation gets dragged back, kicking and screaming.

I don't think there IS a way forward, for some posters, because they are squarely stuck in the past (note: I'm not necessarily pointing at YOU, here).  They refuse to not only acknowledge FACTS (like, the rock music scene in NA isn't what it was even 5 years ago), they refuse to accept the events as they've happened, both recently and in the distant past.  They need to rehash them every single god damn day. To interpret and re-imagine and rework and retell and....you get the picture.

Some of this stuff was 20 fucking years ago.  We've been discussing it, HERE, for well over a decade.

I get we get new blood all the time, and when those folks jump in with some of this stuff, I "get it" a little more, because nobody has any idea when their "fandom" began, and when first reading up on the history of this band, some of this stuff is mind blowing and confusing.

But, when it's the regulars? Less so.  It's boring. It's monotonous. It's repetitive.

You can say...as you have before..."Well, then there'd be no content".

I'll repeat my previous response: I'd be OK with that.  If having to decide between rehashing the same discussions of the same issues, or the same "Axl vs Slash" debates, or over how Axl came into possession of "the name", or if he should have continued using "the name" or...all the other dead horse topics and NOTHING...yeah, I choose more silence.

YMMV.

My "way forward" is to not participate anymore.  Not in any meaningful way.  It won't change anything, I know.  But maybe if enough people get bored with the topics, and those who feel the need to continue perpetuating decade+ old discussions, while not really bringing ANYTHING new to the conversation, are just shouting into the either, maybe they'll stop.  Or maybe not. I don't know.  But either way...yes...for the forseeable future, I'm "out" on this kinda stuff in any way EXCEPT the kind of response I posted initially.

No matter how wrong headed, backwards, or provably incorrect a post is.... Tongue

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:01:39 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #237 on: June 19, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »

nice work Pilferk...

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #238 on: June 19, 2015, 08:52:48 AM »

Anyway...carry on.

Yup, I think it's the best way.

Because nothing else ever works.  I've/We've tried it.  Exactly the suggestions, above. Nobody points it out, but look back...how many "on another note", "on a similar topic", "Now that we've beaten that dead horse", "Moving on"'-s can you type out and/or read before you just get to a point where you have to stop, point, and call a spade, a spade. No matter how many tactics we try, the conversation gets dragged back, kicking and screaming.

I don't think there IS a way forward, for some posters, because they are squarely stuck in the past (note: I'm not necessarily pointing at YOU, here).  They refuse to not only acknowledge FACTS (like, the rock music scene in NA isn't what it was even 5 years ago), they refuse to accept the events as they've happened, both recently and in the distant past.  They need to rehash them every single god damn day. To interpret and re-imagine and rework and retell and....you get the picture.

Some of this stuff was 20 fucking years ago.  We've been discussing it, HERE, for well over a decade.

I get we get new blood all the time, and when those folks jump in with some of this stuff, I "get it" a little more, because nobody has any idea when their "fandom" began, and when first reading up on the history of this band, some of this stuff is mind blowing and confusing.

But, when it's the regulars? Less so.  It's boring. It's monotonous. It's repetitive.

You can say...as you have before..."Well, then there'd be no content".

I'll repeat my previous response: I'd be OK with that.  If having to decide between rehashing the same discussions of the same issues, or the same "Axl vs Slash" debates, or over how Axl came into possession of "the name", or if he should have continued using "the name" or...all the other dead horse topics and NOTHING...yeah, I choose more silence.

YMMV.

My "way forward" is to not participate anymore.  Not in any meaningful way.  It won't change anything, I know.  But maybe if enough people get bored with the topics, and those who feel the need to continue perpetuating decade+ old discussions, while not really bringing ANYTHING new to the conversation, are just shouting into the either, maybe they'll stop.  Or maybe not. I don't know.  But either way...yes...for the forseeable future, I'm "out" on this kinda stuff in any way EXCEPT the kind of response I posted initially.

No matter how wrong headed, backwards, or provably incorrect a post is.... Tongue

But that assumes your FACTS are true.  Rock is not dead, although that's used as a convenient excuse to justify not releasing anything.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2014-year-rock-roll-article-1.2126036

Granted, the article takes some liberties into what they classify as rock, but the state of rock isn't as dire as some project it to be.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #239 on: June 19, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »

But that assumes your FACTS are true.  Rock is not dead, although that's used as a convenient excuse to justify not releasing anything.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2014-year-rock-roll-article-1.2126036

Granted, the article takes some liberties into what they classify as rock, but the state of rock isn't as dire as some project it to be.

A LOT of liberties.  Do you consider Ed Sheeran and Lourde rock? 'Cause the charts do. And other artists like them.  The article is, to be perfectly honest, crap.

We discussed this, previously.  The only way you can make "rock" look "good" is by changing it's definition, and who you include under the umbrella.  I'm not willing to do that, just to try to make something look better than it is.

Tranditional rock isn't "dead".  But it's not selling like it was. It's not what it was 5 years ago (which is what I actually SAID, to be clear).  Metallica lost money LAST YEAR touring the U.S.  AC/DC has a super abbreviated NA tour this year...and I suspect that has a lot to do with the economics.  You see other traditional rock acts doing very similar things: Smaller venues, smaller tours, or both.

Those are economic realities.  Bury your head in the sand if you'd like, point to articles that redefine what you, me, and everyone else born prior to 2000 would actually call rock and roll, but none of that really changes things.

And, again, we're rehashing...so I'm out.  Feel free to continue on.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:24:10 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: