Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?  (Read 59749 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:01 AM »

I'm not saying anything about having fun.

I made the argument that if you had the worst year of your life, and you managed to get through it, that's a win. It doesn't matter who you are.
It's not about releasing music.

/jarmo

I think the argument could be made that Axl overcoming all his set back over the years is a win.  Axl could see that as very rewarding and then those years could been seen as very rewarding....

I think the argument could also be made that many of the setbacks that Axl has had to over come, where very self enduced and he has only had to over come problems he has created for himself...

I truely think there is a fine line between them both
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »

I think what Jarmo is getting at is while Axl may not  have been having the time of his life, he may not have been prepared to deal with the recording/writing and everything else since he was dealing with some personal issues.

I think it's interesting to go back and listen to the bootlegs from the early nineties, specifically his rants and then think "How could this not have happened". The Chicago '92 rant is what sticks out in my mind. About how he can't fake it no more. And how he can't get up on stage and go "Yeah, I'm bad, I'm Rock n Roll, we're doing this Rock n Roll thing" if his life is falling apart. ( I think the fake it part came right after that, actually). He was/is going through a lot. And he did what he had to do as a person to take care of himself. But through it all, he didn't just curl up into a ball and die, he did press on. Wrote some great songs, and released an album. He seems to be a lot happier now, but who knows if he's still dealing with issues.

I still say Axl knows what's best for Axl and for GnR. As much as it sucks not having new music and not seeing them live, I am happy with what we have so far and I'll wait for more. But I also see your point. As fans , of course we want new music.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »

truth always lies somewhere in the middle Bacon...

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »

I think the argument could also be made that many of the setbacks that Axl has had to over come, where very self enduced and he has only had to over come problems he has created for himself...

BIG time.

Its a variation on the "part of the problem/part of the solution" concept. 

Shit can, does, and will happen.  But its often how you react to it that shapes how it goes for you.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »

Axl could have just cashed his chips in like Kurt Cobain did..... Undecided

Easily, certainly had enough adverse setbacks to discourage anyone.

I'm thankful to have the released GNR Albums, I'm thankful for all the great times and shows I've attended over the years.

I'm looking forward to the next cycle of touring and I am looking forward to the new release- difference is I dont mistakenly think the band "owes me, nor do I try to impress other trolls by posting how I could do things so much better than GNR, mgmt, etc- like some of the idiots do here.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2015, 09:05:46 PM »

I have to disagree. I know everyone has a cross to bear, but Axl has had a pretty good life as a rock star and millionaire. Just to put things into perspective, I've seen parents wondering how they were going to pay for their child's medical bills, mortgage, and put food on the table. I've seen my own parents coming from a different country who speak broken English and trying to be the best parents for a child and now adult with a disability (me). My own life I've had to go through 18 surgeries and discrimination. It hasn't been easy, but I'm a college graduate working for one of the biggest financial information/media companies in the world. Please don't use "inspiration". I have a huge pet peeve about that word.

It has killed me to watch a guy like Axl or even Kurt Cobain (not a fan  of his but he did write some good songs)waste their talents. The original lineup could have been the American version of the Rolling Stones, easily. It blew up. A wasted opportunity. Axl could have rebuilt  his career, but didn't. It's sad to see people take their talent for granted when they could be doing so much more with it.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2015, 09:35:45 PM »

I have to disagree. I know everyone has a cross to bear, but Axl has had a pretty good life as a rock star and millionaire. Just to put things into perspective, I've seen parents wondering how they were going to pay for their child's medical bills, mortgage, and put food on the table. I've seen my own parents coming from a different country who speak broken English and trying to be the best parents for a child and now adult with a disability (me). My own life I've had to go through 18 surgeries and discrimination. It hasn't been easy, but I'm a college graduate working for one of the biggest financial information/media companies in the world. Please don't use "inspiration". I have a huge pet peeve about that word.

If Axl started out his life as a millionaire and never did anything to deserve his position today, I could see people being less than impressed with his accomplishments. But, it's a real story in there for Axl as well. Beaten and sexually abused as a child, being poor and leaving home at a young age, he started with literally nothing except his musical abilities. I think that warrants respect, even if that made him millions of dollars.

There are many, many people who worked as hard as Axl in their different fields of expertise. Luckily for Axl his abilities created possibilities within a profession that can make you very rich, if you're good at it. The majority of those people won't reach the financial heights as he did because the field they're in simply isn't designed the same way as the music industry. Regardless, they deserve the same amount of respect. I'm happy for you, it seems like you've done quite well! Smiley

It has killed me to watch a guy like Axl or even Kurt Cobain (not a fan  of his but he did write some good songs)waste their talents. The original lineup could have been the American version of the Rolling Stones, easily. It blew up. A wasted opportunity. Axl could have rebuilt  his career, but didn't. It's sad to see people take their talent for granted when they could be doing so much more with it.

For this part, I agree with you when seen purely from a fan's perspective. Of course, this is what we want for our musical heroes - for them to be as successful as possible.

If you take the time to see it from his perspective though, it all depends on his mindset to it all. Being part of the next Rolling Stones might have been his dream starting out, but I'm not so sure he worries about that anymore. It might be that he simply is content within the situation he is, with no aspirations of being a stadium draw anymore. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he didn't rebuild his career. They've had some pretty good touring runs over the years and that might be exactly what Axl hoped to achieve at this point in his life.

This is why I think an in-depth interview with Axl would have been so interesting at this point. What are his thoughts about all this?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:37:54 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »

Everyone has their own battles, burdens and demons to contend with in life.

Your issues and battles have nothing to do with GNR, not sure why you thought it was comparable.

I don't see where anyone is "taking their talent for granted" or
"Wasting time" when they choose not to operate on anyone's schedule but their own and follow their own vision.

Artists are in no way obligated to share their talent nor creations with the public, this is a misconception many have.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:07:17 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2015, 12:12:01 AM »

Your issues and battles have nothing to do with GNR, not sure why you thought it was comparable.

Um, just to review :

You are the same person that was clapping like a seal not one page ago when the argument was made that I (or anyone else you don't like) haven't accomplished enough in our personal or professional lives to weigh in on the rather meager musical output of a rock star over the past 20 years, right?

That couldn't be more on point, correct?  Followed right along, did it?

That was you, yes? 

I just want to make sure there aren't 2 Emilys here, you understand.  Because based on those comments a page back, and then the above comments quoted here....well, there would pretty much have to be.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2015, 07:14:59 AM »

actually that was me, not Emily... Roll Eyes

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #190 on: June 17, 2015, 07:53:41 AM »

actually that was me, not Emily... Roll Eyes

I didn't say she made it.  I said she couldn't be more effusive with her "right on!!"s about it.

And then, just like that, using comparisons involving outside the world of GNR have no place talking about GNR.  In the course of a page.

Inconsistent.  Not credible.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #191 on: June 17, 2015, 08:32:27 AM »

If Axl started out his life as a millionaire and never did anything to deserve his position today, I could see people being less than impressed with his accomplishments. But, it's a real story in there for Axl as well. Beaten and sexually abused as a child, being poor and leaving home at a young age, he started with literally nothing except his musical abilities. I think that warrants respect, even if that made him millions of dollars.

There are many, many people who worked as hard as Axl in their different fields of expertise. Luckily for Axl his abilities created possibilities within a profession that can make you very rich, if you're good at it. The majority of those people won't reach the financial heights as he did because the field they're in simply isn't designed the same way as the music industry. Regardless, they deserve the same amount of respect. I'm happy for you, it seems like you've done quite well! Smiley

For this part, I agree with you when seen purely from a fan's perspective. Of course, this is what we want for our musical heroes - for them to be as successful as possible.

If you take the time to see it from his perspective though, it all depends on his mindset to it all. Being part of the next Rolling Stones might have been his dream starting out, but I'm not so sure he worries about that anymore. It might be that he simply is content within the situation he is, with no aspirations of being a stadium draw anymore. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he didn't rebuild his career. They've had some pretty good touring runs over the years and that might be exactly what Axl hoped to achieve at this point in his life.

This is why I think an in-depth interview with Axl would have been so interesting at this point. What are his thoughts about all this?

I agree with you Spirit.Thank you! I'm just tired of some people here who are giving Axl every excuse NOT to release something. I think he needs a swift kick in the a$$ to say the least. He needs somebody to motivate him.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:35:53 AM by draguns » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #192 on: June 17, 2015, 08:37:13 AM »

I agree with you Spirit.Thank you! I'm just tired of some people here who are giving Axl every excuse NOT to release something. I think he needs a swift kick in the a$$ to say the least. He needs somebody to motivate him.

But very hard to expect when you have weeded out anything resembling a dissenting voice.  Never is heard a discouraging word.

That's further compounded by having people around you that would have to risk their own livelihood to tell the odd hard truth.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »

I'm not sure we're totally on the same page. For me, I reserve any "demands" for Axl to do anything right now because I'm open to the idea of him having a lot of things on his plate.

But, as time passes by, I will gradually be more impatient.. Smiley

Sweetness is a virtue
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »

Read a recent interview with Ricky Warwick about after initially planning to, opting to not release new material under the Thin Lizzy moniker out of respect for the late, great Phil?s legacy. He/they 100% made the right choice, in my opinion.

I wonder if Axl ever struggles with this himself, (obviously no one is truly dead in this case, thankfully, just the classic era of the band) and if that is one possible reason for his decline in creative release.
Obviously it didn?t stop him from releasing Chinese, but perhaps he views things differently having seen how it was eventually received, and after tensions have eased with some former members.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »

Read a recent interview with Ricky Warwick about after initially planning to, opting to not release new material under the Thin Lizzy moniker out of respect for the late, great Phil?s legacy. He/they 100% made the right choice, in my opinion.

I wonder if Axl ever struggles with this himself, (obviously no one is truly dead in this case, thankfully, just the classic era of the band) and if that is one possible reason for his decline in creative release.
Obviously it didn?t stop him from releasing Chinese, but perhaps he views things differently having seen how it was eventually received, and after tensions have eased with some former members.

If we go back 10 years, I think this wouldn't cross Axl's mind. To him, there's only one Guns N' Roses, the current one which is always evolving. Something that's been true to him from day one I think.

I lean against him not having too many thoughts about it to this day, he's always seemed pretty determined and clear about what he considers to be "Guns N' Roses", although he hasn't spoken that much about that aspect in recent years. But as you say, with him having spent more and more time with both Izzy and Duff again, his thoughts might have gone back to the old days again, thoughts about writing and recording with the past members. I'm thinking about the experiences they shared while creating music, it could be experiences that he had forgotten about and then they've started to come back to some degree. If it's something that could affect him I'm not that sure about though.

I mean, Izzy and Axl together, writing songs, that's a team who's right up there amongst the greats and he probably knows that.

Sweetness is a virtue
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »

Um, just to review :

You are the same person that was clapping like a seal not one page ago when the argument was made that I (or anyone else you don't like) haven't accomplished enough in our personal or professional lives to weigh in on the rather meager musical output of a rock star over the past 20 years, right?

That couldn't be more on point, correct?  Followed right along, did it?

That was you, yes? 

I just want to make sure there aren't 2 Emilys here, you understand.  Because based on those comments a page back, and then the above comments quoted here....well, there would pretty much have to be.

That was skydog actually.

If you would try and devote your limited little mental resources toward the refuse you attempt to pass off as truth, and not worry so much about what I say you would be far better off and might actually and eventually make decent posts.

It's something for you to work on and strive toward.  Kiss
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:52:58 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »

There goes the idiocy again, attempting to determine psychically what people they don't know "need".

I think you need a swift kick in the @ss to reset your brain.

"Shut the fuck up."
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2015, 08:08:30 PM »

Emily is that all you do on here?Huh Roll Eyes
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #199 on: June 17, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »

It could be, but I wouldn't fret over it if I'm him.

The name had huge value.  Trying to keep it was the right move.

To be fair, I always take this from the business perspective and little else.  People start talking about legacies, disrespect and "slaps in the face" and whatnot...I don't know.  I sort of roll my eyes.

Its a rock band.  Its a business.  It was in the best business interest of this rock band to maintain the name "Guns N' Roses".

Axl was smart and the other two were dummies, as I see it.

If you want to tell me you wish Axl had been more ambitious trying to plant his flag when he took over to do his own thing, hey, I'm right with you.

But I don't think his failure to take a real shot means putting himself in the position to do so in the first place was the wrong move.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: