Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:33:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Flashback: #10 - Sorry
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flashback: #10 - Sorry  (Read 9012 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: May 28, 2015, 01:10:09 PM »

One of the most talked about songs in the wake of the release. I remember the majority of people putting this song up there among their favorites, including me.

I remember hearing this one for the first time right off the album, no leaks. The first thing that stood out for me was the chorus, it just hit me like a freight train... goosebumps. It's not the "in your face" type of chorus, but I think the phrasing of the vocals here is just genius, best chorus on the album.

The mood of the song is quite dark, and I like that as well. Lyrics are... ok. Guitar solo is good.

Heard this one live and it was great, but usually I think they play it a bit too early in the set, being a slow song and all. It kinda put the brakes on right after the usual opening quartet, it would've fitted nicely in near the end of a concert.

I've distanced myself from it for some time now because I overplayed it... It's been a while, I think I'll put it on now!  Cheesy

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »

I like the dark feel of the song. Think it had potential, but find the lyrics to be cheesy which really drags the song down.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:10:35 PM »

No Comments

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:39:08 PM »

Its a good song. Not my favourite. But good. It is a stronger live track i think.

My favourite part is the guitar solo. This album has the best solos period. And the verse after the solo with the whistling and such.

Ashba and Frank does a killer job live on this track. Theres also some great synth/effect work going on live versions. They make the song better live.

This song reminds me of 2008-2012 gnr era.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »

The first time I heard "Sorry," I laughed.
I thought it was dumb.

Then a funny thing happened after I listened to it a few more times.
It grew on me and I came to appreciate it.
It became one of my favorite songs on CD.

I love the vibe, the lyrics, and Buckethead's David Gilmour guitar solo.
Good stuff.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »

I definitely like this song. I feel it's a strong track and like the dark vibe to it.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:10:46 PM »

I really liked this song when I first heard it,  For me, it hasn't aged well though
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »

Hated it initially.

To be clear, never hated the music.  Even from the jump, thought the guitar work was excellent.

But the lyrics...ugh. I could never believe in all the leaks we got, none of the new songs really delved into how those other bastards in the band, if not the universe itself, was conspiring to keep Axl down.  I figured that would be a constant theme.  I was pleased there wasn't.

Then I heard this.  And thought, oh...there it is.

Here's the thing.  Its a strong, strong vocal.  I think 'Better' is the best vocal on the album, but I thought the "you got all the answers..." and "nobody owes you..." passages were the best example on the album of the Axl I grew up on. 

Over time, I kept giving the song more chances.  Over time, I was impressed enough with the music and the vocals to look past the pissy lyrics.

Solid tune.

(but not a fan of it live, because I think it kills the crowd)

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 11:15:03 PM »

I'll kick your ass
Like I said that I would

Axl at his worst.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:50:53 AM »

I like the guitar parts in this song, always have.

I just can't like a Guns N Roses song that is so very clearly about the break up of Guns N Roses. So it ruins the song for... that's just me. I usually skip it over when I have the record on in the car.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »

I'll kick your ass
Like I said that I would

Axl at his worst.

And its not even accurate.  That's the real crime here.  Those words are the boasts of a man that came back and took over the world.

Not a dude that dropped an album under the cover of night and then went into Witness Protection for a year.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »

This song has also forced me to read useless posters quoting lyrics from this song for nearly 10 years now

Yea I get it, you don't owe me a damn thing.  And yes I understand, you will get kick my ass like you said you would

Ugh
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 12:31:10 PM »

One of my favorites and one I was anticipating after hearing Sebastian Bach talk about it..I was disappointed when they played it at a NJ concert I was at, about 4th in the set, and the crowd sat down...I don't get how people can go to a concert and not give the new/current album a chance...It can be viewed as the band breaking up, but also percerveing through negative vibes..
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »

I was disappointed when they played it at a NJ concert I was at, about 4th in the set, and the crowd sat down...I don't get how people can go to a concert and not give the new/current album a chance...

This is what I was talking about, it's usually played too early in the set.. Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with people not giving the new music any chance, but rather the fact that it's a slow ballad played very early in the set.

As the first song in the encore, it would have been perfect I think.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »

This song has also forced me to read useless posters quoting lyrics from this song for nearly 10 years now

Yea I get it, you don't owe me a damn thing.  And yes I understand, you will get kick my ass like you said you would

Ugh

I may be wrong, but I always thought those lyrics about kicking ass were referring to a line in "get in the ring".

I absolutely love Sorry, it is dark, menacing and reminds me of Pink Floyd  love

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »

Ugh

Hahahaha.

True.

nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »

One of my fav off the record.Not quite as doom-metal like Sebastian Bach described the song in 2006 but i love the darkness in the song.Guitars are perfect,chorus is bigger-than-life and the lyrics are...well,eye opening in some sense.
A GN'R classic song already imo with Better,Madagascar,TWAT and This I Love.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 04:21:12 PM »

I'll kick your ass
Like I said that I would

Axl at his worst.

And its not even accurate.  That's the real crime here.  Those words are the boasts of a man that came back and took over the world.

Not a dude that dropped an album under the cover of night and then went into Witness Protection for a year.

Unless you know who and/or what exactly he's referring to and in what kind of time frame, how can you make that statement as a fact? Cheesy

You're interpreting the lyrics and jumping to conclusions.
Which is exactly what great lyrics are supposed to do. No harm in that. But, it's just your personal theory. Something to keep in mind. Smiley

Love the song. Another little different facet of the GN'R diamond.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 06:02:58 PM »

I remember the first time I heard "Sorry" on my car stereo.
It's like Axl is sitting there in the car next to you.
Definitely recommended,
mortismurphy
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »

I'll kick your ass
Like I said that I would

Axl at his worst.

Unless you know who and/or what exactly he's referring to and in what kind of time frame, how can you make that statement as a fact? Cheesy

You're interpreting the lyrics and jumping to conclusions.
Which is exactly what great lyrics are supposed to do. No harm in that. But, it's just your personal theory. Something to keep in mind. Smiley

Love the song. Another little different facet of the GN'R diamond.

/jarmo

They are terrible lyrics though. Whether they are about Slash, Stephanie Seymour. They are the heir to the truly cringeworthy Get in the Ring and Shotgun Blues (''you can suck my ass'').
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: