Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:33:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Flashback: #8 - Scraped
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flashback: #8 - Scraped  (Read 6927 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: May 13, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »

One of the surprises when we first saw the Chinese tracklist. Hadn't heard of this one before. Can't remember if the title Lies They Tell had been circulating before though. The first I heard of the song was in the leaked commercials for the album, got quite excited when we discovered there was a brand new track there.

The opening, very Queen-esque with the multitracked Axl vocals. I quite like it actually, even more so in the live version with the drum intro.

The song itself, the verses and chorus... imo the only song I would consider a filler on the album. Pretty straight forward, nothing special really, not bad either. The live version adds a bit more energy, and I think the album version would have benefited from a rawer sound.

Don't listen that much to the song nowadays, less than the other tracks, but once in a while.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »

The opening, very Queen-esque with the multitracked Axl vocals. I quite like it actually, even more so in the live version with the drum intro.

Agreed.  That's the version I put on the playlist, because I also prefer that drum intro.

I like the song, though a lot of folks seem to despise it.  I think the lyrics are well written, and it actually has a decent chorus.

But, in an album full of cut & paste tracks, this one the most egregious offender.  Does not sound the least bit organic.  I do think that hurts its overall presentation.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 12:48:11 AM »

Really like the solo in this.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:53:05 AM »

First time i heard Scraped was in myspace back in the day.

Not the strongest tracks on the album. I But plays a important role on the album as its one of the few straightforward rockers on the album.

I like the album version better than the live, althought the live intro is nice.

I like the timing thing they do before the verses. ''cause i just wont let youuu.'' part. The chorus is great. and again Rons solo rules. I find it interesting that in both Shacklers and Scraped which are written by Bucket, they used Rons solos. Anyway sounds like the right solution.

Great drumming as always on this one.

One of the two tracks without anything from Tobias.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »

I find it interesting that in both Shacklers and Scraped which are written by Bucket, they used Rons solos.

That's a good point. I think it might be that Ron's playing style matches that type of solos better than other ones.

Soulful solos like Sorry, This I Love and TWAT comes off better when played by Buckethead or Robin. Not putting down Ron, but all guitar players have their strengths and weaknesses (except Buckethead Smiley).

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »

I do agree that live the drum intro adds something cool to the performance.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »

Loved this one since I heard it for the very first time. Very short n' sweet like Shackler's and almost like a 21st century It's So Easy.

It also rocks quite hard and I hope it finds its way back into the setlist someday smoking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHnQyyeK8I

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »

I actually think it would have been a good first single....catchy, quirky, rockin', and modern sounding. The lyrics sort of represent "Axl's" comeback and defiant attitude. Just about the right length for radio as well.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »

Guns N' Roses - Scraped [06.June.2010 - St. Petersburg, Russia]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVnVQSr9nMc

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »

For some reason, this tune gets beat up a lot by fans.  I really like it.
In fact, it was the 1st song my youngest child ever heard.   love
Personally, I love the positive message.  Stay true to yourself.  Don't let others control you.  Effing love that!

my memory of its release was the debate over whether the song's "skip" was intentional or just a production flaw.
I still don't know if that was ever addressed directly by Axl.
The fact CD's booklet was a horribly put-together mish-mashed piece o' shit made me question if it really was a fuck-up or not.
(btw, when the alternate artwork for the album leaked on-line, it only made the final Nov., 2008 version look worse)

So, in conclusion, Scraped...very good.  CD booklet, very bad.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 08:16:12 AM »

For some reason, this tune gets beat up a lot by fans.  I really like it.
In fact, it was the 1st song my youngest child ever heard.   love
Personally, I love the positive message.  Stay true to yourself.  Don't let others control you.  Effing love that!

my memory of its release was the debate over whether the song's "skip" was intentional or just a production flaw.
I still don't know if that was ever addressed directly by Axl.
The fact CD's booklet was a horribly put-together mish-mashed piece o' shit made me question if it really was a fuck-up or not.
(btw, when the alternate artwork for the album leaked on-line, it only made the final Nov., 2008 version look worse)

So, in conclusion, Scraped...very good.  CD booklet, very bad.
When it came out i was sure the skip was a mistake. Now im sure its intentional, because it kinda sounds cool when you are used to it.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »

one of the best songs on the album.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »

I also never understood why this song is disliked by so many. The intro, that acapalla, thing, always blew my mind. I always thought the vocal hiccup thing was very cool and wonder how he did it. michael ja kson did a form of this too, as does the lead singer of the finnish band him but axls is much cooler. Also always loved the meaning, its very inspiring. It has that whole underdog vibe to it that I've always liked about axls music. Very relatable and very fun listening to it when youre making some kind of effort. If I'm going to program my mind with music, it might as well have an inspirational message behind it.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »

Great track, love the lyrics, love the guitar slides, love the intro, love the riff at the end of the solo.

There was one live performance in Canada in 2010 I was at, want to say Ottawa? Which was absolutely tremendous. Sadly can't find a Youtube but it was the best I'd heard it, it was mean.
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »

Great track, love the lyrics, love the guitar slides, love the intro, love the riff at the end of the solo.

There was one live performance in Canada in 2010 I was at, want to say Ottawa? Which was absolutely tremendous. Sadly can't find a Youtube but it was the best I'd heard it, it was mean.
I have no idea which gigs you have attended, but the one from Edmonton is killer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHnQyyeK8I
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:43:45 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 10:23:33 AM »

Good one, i loved  that acappella intro at first sight, even if it sounded too much autotuned.

The song is almost unsingable live.
19AT5
Opening Act

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »

I kinda liked this track at first, primarily because I had never heard it before. But having listened to it the other day, it really isn't that good. The lyrics are awful and the 'aw ah' backing vocals are shockingly unnecessary! Great guitar solo though!!
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »

I kinda liked this track at first, primarily because I had never heard it before. But having listened to it the other day, it really isn't that good. The lyrics are awful and the 'aw ah' backing vocals are shockingly unnecessary! Great guitar solo though!!

Au Contraire, I can honestly relate to the lyrics - they are outstanding and very real.

Great song!

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
19AT5
Opening Act

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 04:48:37 PM »

Au Contraire, I can honestly relate to the lyrics - they are outstanding and very real.

Great song!

OK, awful is maybe a bit far! It was more the "I am unconquerable" line that made me cringe! So I therefore retract my initial statement that the lyrics are awful, but stand by that line being poor! Smiley
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »

Great song!

OK, awful is maybe a bit far! It was more the "I am unconquerable" line that made me cringe! So I therefore retract my initial statement that the lyrics are awful, but stand by that line being poor! Smiley

I save my cringing for truly awful music like Bonjovi and several others- GNR music is not cringeworthy in the least.

GNR is unconquerable  ok
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:37:00 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: