Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 01:47:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Flashback: #7 - Catcher In The Rye
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flashback: #7 - Catcher In The Rye  (Read 7866 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 03:01:09 PM »

Being such a huge Queen fan, I would think Axl would consider it quite a coup to get Brian May on a new track.

I wonder why he decided against the May solo.. Could it be because Brian wasn't happy with it at the time, as Axl explained?

I get that he wanted the band members (at the time) to be featured as much as possible, but Bumble is one of the members featured on most songs anyway.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »

Being such a huge Queen fan, I would think Axl would consider it quite a coup to get Brian May on a new track.

I wonder why he decided against the May solo.. Could it be because Brian wasn't happy with it at the time, as Axl explained?

I get that he wanted the band members (at the time) to be featured as much as possible, but Bumble is one of the members featured on most songs anyway.

I remember reading that May was very surprised his solo didn't make the final cut.

Like I have said before.  I can just picture Axl having a party and throwing on the version with May playing on his home studio.   
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »

With all due respect to Ron, he was a guy most of never heard of before 5.12.2006.  Brian May is a legend.

Now, if you were going to have Bumble redo some of Bucket's parts, because Ron was part of the band and Bucket was gone...OK.

But I can't see making the same concession that costs you guitarwork from a true legend, and from a band you grew up loving.

It would be like one of us having a band that did a song Slash played on, but we erase for some dude no one has ever heard of.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »

I remember reading that May was very surprised his solo didn't make the final cut.

Like I have said before.  I can just picture Axl having a party and throwing on the version with May playing on his home studio.   

I was referring to the time when Brian recorded the solo in the studio with Axl and Caram. The solo itself was a cut and paste job, and Brian wasn't happy with the result when hearing it for the first time.

Axl said that he thought Brian had warmed up to it over time, but I think there's a possibility that Axl came to a point where he wasn't sure about it and decided to replace the solo not to upset Brian. To be on the safe side so to speak.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »

With all due respect to Ron, he was a guy most of never heard of before 5.12.2006.  Brian May is a legend.

Now, if you were going to have Bumble redo some of Bucket's parts, because Ron was part of the band and Bucket was gone...OK.

But I can't see making the same concession that costs you guitarwork from a true legend, and from a band you grew up loving.

It would be like one of us having a band that did a song Slash played on, but we erase for some dude no one has ever heard of.

I think if Brian came into the studio and played this amazing solo in one take, things would be different. It would have been an insult to Brian to have it replaced.

The fact that the solo was constructed by Axl and Caram on the computer from several takes of Brian maybe made it less difficult to replace. More so if Brian wasn't too sure about it himself.

Sweetness is a virtue
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »

Why Brain didn't write his own parts? Well he kinda did the parts Josh did with his feel.

And you're talking about one song versus multiple songs.

Or maybe it just sounded better or just more representative of that moment in time?

/jarmo

I read somewhere probably a Brain interview. That he recorded first all the tracks note for note Josh Freese style. probably in 2001.
Then when that was done, he recorded the same tracks again, but now in his own way, where he could basically write his own parts.

Thats why on the liner notes there is  written ''Drum arrangement: Josh Freese'' on four tracks, Street, TWAT, Riad and Prostitute. So that would mean they used the Brains: Josh Freese version or parts of it on those songs. And the rest of the songs, like Catcher would have been the written by:Brain(or Frank on some occasions)  version of the drum track. 

Besides the drum track is really different throughout the song on the 2000 leak compared to the album version. The ending of the leak version where Josh goes a little nuts with his fills, is a good example.

The drum tracks of the Twat 2000 leak and album version are really similar. Brain is playing note by note what Josh played.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 05:51:31 PM »

I think if Brian came into the studio and played this amazing solo in one take, things would be different. It would have been an insult to Brian to have it replaced.

The fact that the solo was constructed by Axl and Caram on the computer from several takes of Brian maybe made it less difficult to replace. More so if Brian wasn't too sure about it himself.

I think Rons solo is by far better on the album compared to Brians solo on the leak. Maybe Axl or someone else thinks the same.

The leak that i have is somehow slowed down. there could be a slight tempo difference on the the version that Brian play at. Or a minuscule change on the arrangement.

It could be a tone,or sound problem that prevented Brians version to be used. Tommy said that he recorded all his bass parts something like 3-5 times over the years. By this i mean that a guitar part recorded in 1999 does not necessarily sound good with a backing track recorded in 2005 in a different studio with different equipment.

This is some reasons why they did end up with a Bumblefoot solo.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »

Brain Is One Excelent Dj, Writing, Producer, Work Whit DRUMS, Turntables & MPC:

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »

??
Yeah, I know who Brain is....

I'm talking about Brian May, the guitar player of Queen.

Sweetness is a virtue
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 07:10:14 PM »

??
Yeah, I know who Brain is....

I'm talking about Brian May, the guitar player of Queen.

Sorry

hihi rofl hihi

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »

No worries. Smiley

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »

Today it's 35 years since John Lennon died.

Why not listen to this song.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »

RIP JL /// Amazing Musics

Cool

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »

Amazing demo. It would've rock if that was the final version.

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »

What a brilliant song and a beautiful tribute to Lennon.

I remember watching a football game and getting that horrible news all those years ago.  no

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 02:27:55 AM »

love it. the brian may stuff is irrelevant to me. i i just dont think or care about that kind of thing. to me it seems like anyone who would may just be trying to make a fuss. its hardly noticeable unless you really really care about those kinda of details. i dont care who played what. someone is playing, thats good enough for me.

the whole "industrialized mind" thing really hits home. people are shaped like cookies with a cookie cutter. like in japan, if you ask someone to try some food, the reaction is always the same. "umai!". its like a tv commercial. pretty scary shit. this country just reminds me of rod and todd from the simpsons, or like a giant daycare center run by flanders.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 03:09:06 AM »

I thought the original demo was really, really good.
Then...I heard the version on the album.  Which is just a mess.

100% agree with this. Still remember listening to the demos with my headphones on while walking home from school and just feeling it. Oh how time flies. I really like that "raw sound" that particular version has, it's amazing. On the record it's too clean and stuffed with all kinds of things, even though the song itself is still great.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2015, 04:12:31 AM »

If they did the same thing they did with catcher but say, replaced bbf or djs part with a slash overdub, I wonder what kind of reaction it would get?

Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »

I really like this one.  I've never heard the demos of it, so I can't compare the album version to it; but I think this is one of the songs where the sheer amount of stuff going on works in its favour.  And in terms of the pacing of the album, it works very well coming after There Was A Time, I think.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »

I really like this one.  I've never heard the demos of it, so I can't compare the album version to it; but I think this is one of the songs where the sheer amount of stuff going on works in its favour.  And in terms of the pacing of the album, it works very well coming after There Was A Time, I think.

agreed on both points! gotta love that complexity. and right after the wild energy of twat, the cocaine and broken glass, you get this nice classic sounding song that lyrically reveals a completely different side of axl than twat does. it even has a sort of memorial sound to it. i bet lenin would have loved it. wonder what yoko has to say about it, or anyone else connected to him?   

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: