Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Flashback: #7 - Catcher In The Rye
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flashback: #7 - Catcher In The Rye  (Read 7869 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: May 05, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »

Supposedly a tribute to John Lennon - Catcher In The Rye.

I first heard the demo of the song, with the Brian May solo. Sound quality wasn't too good on the demo, but I remember thinking this demo 'stood out' somehow from the rest of the demos. I got the feeling of it being more of a 'traditional' song in a sense, still different than classic Guns though.

I think Bumble did a good job on the solo, it definitely retains a bit of the May vibe. The song is good, it's a mellow song that's a good listen when you want to chill out. I like the lyrics as well, especially the final verses.

It definitely has a Beatles vibe to it as well, listen to the backing vocals for instance.

I still listen a lot to this song. Unfortunately though, it's another song I haven't experienced live.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »

I thought the original demo was really, really good.

But, as you said, the sound quality was far more iffy than on the other leaks.  I assumed once they cleaned it up, it would be awesome and destined to be a live staple for years.

Then...I heard the version on the album.  Which is just a mess.

Ron's guitar solo is way overbearing, in every way possible.  Its too loud for the rest of the song.  We all know this album contains several cut and pastes, but this one might be the most egregious example.  Its like a bad toupee.

My iPod playlists all have the demo with Brian May.  I'm not sure I have heard the album version 10 times in 7 years.  I was horrified the night I bought it, and only go back to it every now and again to see it my feelings mellowed.

They never have.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »

I agree that this one was overproduced...too many things going on.   Would love to hear a remix stripped down version as its actually a great song. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »

I agree that this one was overproduced...too many things going on.   Would love to hear a remix stripped down version as its actually a great song. 

That was the most frustrating thing.  There's a very good song underneath that busy mix.

I thought this was the only real example of hearing a leak ahead of time hurting perception of the finished product.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

I remember being pleasantly surprised that Catcher showed up on the track list when published a month before the release.

I think I had gotten it into my head that since the source of the demo was a different one than the rest of them, it didn't belong with that particular group of songs.

Sweetness is a virtue
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »

Could have been executed better in the studio, but a great jam overall.
Dig this version.

https://youtu.be/FeF0CzohB0Q
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »

I first heard this song when the album came out.

At first i didnt care much about the song. Funnily enough it took me until 2014 to Catcher to become one my fav tracks. The trick was the excellent live versions the band did last year.
The song flows really nicely, the key moments for some reasons i dont know are the piano thing at 1:38, and someone that belongs insane, like I do. part. Also the solos Especially the ending of the first one.

Again the drum track is like the song marvelous, and fun to play. the structure of the song is unusual, and it makes the song kinda float in a way i think.

I like the mixing/production on the album version, i get why some dont, but i dig it. The solo is damn loud and damn good, and it works for me, it dosent take away from the rest.

Id like to poin out that its the only track on the album that does not feature Buckethead.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »

Id like to poin out that its the only track on the album that does not feature Buckethead.

This I Love is the other one.

Sweetness is a virtue
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 08:07:20 PM »

It sort of reminds me of "Yesterdays" a little bit.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »

It sort of reminds me of "Yesterdays" a little bit.

Yeah, same here.

I thought this could be an encore staple for the new band.

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 03:25:36 AM »

This I Love is the other one.
Oops. I forgot that he didnt play on that.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »

Another track that's great to hear live.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »

Another track that's great to hear live.  ok

Here, I agree.  Pretty decent on most bootlegs.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »

Even better in person at the show.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 01:33:14 PM »

Anybody else wonder why they changed the guitar parts so much?

I'm just comparing it to how painstakingly Axl tried to have Brain recreate all Josh's parts so specifically.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 01:39:30 PM »

Maybe it's just about letting the guitar players make their own interpretation and leaving their mark on it?

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »

Maybe it's just about letting the guitar players make their own interpretation and leaving their mark on it?

So why not Brain?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »

Why Brain didn't write his own parts? Well he kinda did the parts Josh did with his feel.

And you're talking about one song versus multiple songs.

Or maybe it just sounded better or just more representative of that moment in time?

/jarmo

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »

MB Axl just really liked the drum parts and not the guitar parts
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »

Being such a huge Queen fan, I would think Axl would consider it quite a coup to get Brian May on a new track.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: