Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 03:55:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 NFL Season
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 NFL Season  (Read 152552 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #200 on: August 11, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »

So...uh...apparently Gino Smith walked into the Jets locker room this morning and got sucker punched. Broken Jaw. Out 6 to 10 weeks.

They released the player who did it (who's name I'm not going to try to spell), pretty much on the spot.

Here, I found a good copy paste of the guy who did it:

Linebacker IK Enemkpali
Only in New York. You can't make this shit up.

And if you did, nobody would watch it, because its too unbelievable.
I wonder if the league will do anything to the player. I can't imagine Gooddell putting up with plays doing shit like this.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »

Even worse that dimwit Cris Carter is putting the blame on Smith.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2015, 06:04:42 PM »

Here's the alleged source of the dispute, according to Adam Schefter:

At the heart of the dispute between former Jets LB IK Enemkpali and quarterback Geno Smith is $600 that Enemkpali believed Smith owed him, per league sources. Enemkpali purchased a plane ticket for Smith to attend his July 11 football camp at Pfugerville High School in Pfugerville [sic], Texas. However, days before the camp, a person close to Smith was killed in a motorcycle accident in Miami and Smith did not attend Enemkpali?s camp, per sources. After Smith did not attend, Enemkpali demanded that the Jets? quarterback refund him the $600 he allegedly used to purchase a plane ticket. Smith told Enemkpali he would reimburse him the money, but he did not. Enkempali confronted Smith today about the money and the confrontation ended in a punch and broken jaw.

http://deadspin.com/report-geno-smith-got-his-jaw-broken-over-a-600-plane-1723476314
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »

Here's the alleged source of the dispute, according to Adam Schefter:

At the heart of the dispute between former Jets LB IK Enemkpali and quarterback Geno Smith is $600 that Enemkpali believed Smith owed him, per league sources. Enemkpali purchased a plane ticket for Smith to attend his July 11 football camp at Pfugerville High School in Pfugerville [sic], Texas. However, days before the camp, a person close to Smith was killed in a motorcycle accident in Miami and Smith did not attend Enemkpali?s camp, per sources. After Smith did not attend, Enemkpali demanded that the Jets? quarterback refund him the $600 he allegedly used to purchase a plane ticket. Smith told Enemkpali he would reimburse him the money, but he did not. Enkempali confronted Smith today about the money and the confrontation ended in a punch and broken jaw.

http://deadspin.com/report-geno-smith-got-his-jaw-broken-over-a-600-plane-1723476314

Well...i think we can safely say, if thats what happened, Chris Carter is full of horseshit.

Because thats not Genos fault and, in fact, IK is an ass for not understanding. I hope his outburst ver $600 is worth losing his contract for...

And i'm not a jets fan....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »

IK Enemkpali: It was never my intention to harm anyone

Posted by Josh Alper on August 11, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT

In the hours since his jaw was broken by a punch from IK Enemkpali, we?ve heard from Geno Smith through Instagram.

Now we?ve heard from Enemkpali as well. Enemkpali, a linebacker who was released by the Jets after the incident, issued a statement through representatives to Dennis Waszak of the Associated Press apologizing for Tuesday?s events.

?I apologize to the Jets organization, coaches, teammates and fans,? the statement reads. ?Geno and I let our frustration get the best of us, but I should have just walked away from the situation. I deeply regret and apologize for my actions. It was never my intention to harm anyone. I appreciate the opportunity I had with the Jets.?

A report on Tuesday afternoon from Albert Breer of NFL Media said the punch flew after a disagreement about money and Brian Costello of the New York Post is reporting that it involved $600 that Enemkpali laid out to get Smith to a charity event in Texas last month. Smith had to cancel after the death of someone close to him and Enemkpali asked for reimbursement. Smith reportedly agreed to pay, although it would seem he didn?t pay quickly enough to satisfy Enemkpali and words were exchanged before the punch that wasn?t intended to harm anyone was delivered to Smith?s face.

Jets coach Todd Bowles called the dispute ?childish? and something sixth-grade kids could work out without delving into details at his first of two press conferences on Tuesday. If Costello?s report is accurate, it definitely seems like an apt description of what happened in the Jets locker room Tuesday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/ik-enemkpali-it-was-never-my-intention-to-harm-anyone/?utm_source=fantasyleaguegm.com

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »

A pretty unflattering article on the ineptness of the Jets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13419748/new-york-jets-punch-line-geno-smith-breaks-jaw

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2015, 12:13:53 AM »

In the hours since his jaw was broken by a punch from IK Enemkpali, we?ve heard from Geno Smith through Instagram.

Now we?ve heard from Enemkpali as well. Enemkpali, a linebacker who was released by the Jets after the incident, issued a statement through representatives to Dennis Waszak of the Associated Press apologizing for Tuesday?s events.

?I apologize to the Jets organization, coaches, teammates and fans,? the statement reads. ?Geno and I let our frustration get the best of us, but I should have just walked away from the situation. I deeply regret and apologize for my actions. It was never my intention to harm anyone. I appreciate the opportunity I had with the Jets.?

A report on Tuesday afternoon from Albert Breer of NFL Media said the punch flew after a disagreement about money and Brian Costello of the New York Post is reporting that it involved $600 that Enemkpali laid out to get Smith to a charity event in Texas last month. Smith had to cancel after the death of someone close to him and Enemkpali asked for reimbursement. Smith reportedly agreed to pay, although it would seem he didn?t pay quickly enough to satisfy Enemkpali and words were exchanged before the punch that wasn?t intended to harm anyone was delivered to Smith?s face.

Jets coach Todd Bowles called the dispute ?childish? and something sixth-grade kids could work out without delving into details at his first of two press conferences on Tuesday. If Costello?s report is accurate, it definitely seems like an apt description of what happened in the Jets locker room Tuesday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/ik-enemkpali-it-was-never-my-intention-to-harm-anyone/?utm_source=fantasyleaguegm.com

Whether it was his intention or not he shouldn't have done it and it was a very childish thing to do.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2015, 12:43:56 AM »

Whether it was his intention or not he shouldn't have done it and it was a very childish thing to do.
It doesn't sound like that guy is a model citizen. The Jets took a chance on him, as he had legal/anger issues in his past. Well, it didn't work out well for anyone involved.

With that being said, I'm not hearing an overwhelming amount of support being thrown Smith's way. Ranging from "he probably deserved it", "if he was respected in the locker room this wouldn't have happened", and "he should've just given him the $600". Even his coach didn't let him off the hook, saying that it takes two to tango. So somehow Geno is not coming off as a sympathetic figure here. That's saying something.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »

Why would Geno even need to borrow $600 in the first place? Surely he'd still be making decent money off his rookie deal.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2015, 07:58:06 AM »

He didn't "borrow" it.

Geno was supposed to attend IK's football camp as a guest coach.

IK sprung for Geno's airfare to and from the camp (about $600 for the ticket).  That's pretty typical....for the camp to pay travel, expenses, and a stipend.

Geno had a close family friend die in a motorcycle accident a few days prior to the start of the camp. He called IK and  explained he wouldn't be able to make it to camp.

I'm sure IK was able to cancel everything else, but the plane ticket was non-refundable and...thus...the perceived $600 "debt".

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »

From the outside looking in (not caring whether the Jets win or lose)

They were a 7 or 8 win team with Geno... and probably are a 7 or 8 win team without him.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »

Why would Geno even need to borrow $600 in the first place? Surely he'd still be making decent money off his rookie deal.

Rich athletes don't pay for anything.  When the teams go out to bars, clubs, it's the schmucks getting league minimum who are expected to pay for drinks. 
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »

Wednesday, August 12, 2015
Bills claim IK Enemkpali after release by Jets for breaking Geno Smith's jaw
By Mike Rodak
ESPN

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills claimed former New York Jets linebacker IK Enemkpali off waivers Wednesday, one day after the Jets released him following a locker-room altercation in which Enemkpali punched quarterback Geno Smith, breaking his jaw.

Bills coach Rex Ryan was the Jets' head coach when the team drafted Enemkpali in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL draft.

Ryan was subdued and at times defensive while speaking to reporters Wednesday night shortly after the Bills announced Enemkpali's signing, saying he had yet to speak to Enemkpali.

"We all know what happened and things like that," Ryan said. "Obviously, it was a terrible thing that happened. But IK made a mistake, there's no question about that. But instead of listening to this person, that person or whatever -- we had IK last year. A lot of us were around IK, and he was a good teammate."

The NFL confirmed Wednesday that it is reviewing the incident, and Enemkpali could face penalties under the league's personal conduct policy. Ryan said Wednesday that the Bills have "talked to the league" about potential discipline.

Smith will have surgery and could be out six to 10 weeks.

"If we didn't think this young man or anybody else would be successful on the football field, in our locker room or in the community, he would not be here," Ryan said. "And I know I've said that before about other people, but I mean it."

Ryan said general manager Doug Whaley is "leaning on him" in deciding to claim Enemkpali.

"I think [owner Terry Pegula] has confidence in our beliefs, and in this case, Doug is showing a lot of faith in me as well," Ryan said. "That we specifically, guys that have been with IK, believe that he can be successful here."

Added Ryan: "I do have supreme confidence in myself, especially when I know the individual. Some of these guys that have these so-called issues or whatever, everybody's got things. But if I know that person, and I feel confident in the fact that my locker room, that this guy will be successful in here, then yeah, I feel confident that he'll fit right in."

Ryan had also yet to address the move with players but expected they will support the decision.

"They know ... look, not everybody is perfect," Ryan said. "You can look at every person in that locker room. Not everybody is perfect. Nobody is perfect. But they know that I feel in my heart that this young man will be successful for us."

Enemkpali was released by the Jets almost immediately after the incident with Smith. He also could face criminal charges if Smith chooses to pursue them.

Not everyone around Buffalo was as encouraged as Ryan at the prospect of Enemkpali joining the Bills.

Mark Poloncarz, the Erie County (N.Y.) executive who has been involved in the Bills' stadium negotiations in the past, expressed disappointment via Twitter.

Mark Poloncarz @markpoloncarz
As a season ticket holder and fan my personal opinion is this pickup is embarrassing. We can do better

"I think it's clear that it was a mistake," Ryan said. "There's no question. Nothing justifies hitting somebody and all that stuff. And I'm not trying to say that it wasn't a mistake. I recognize it was a mistake. But I also believe that he's gonna learn from this.

"We'll give him a chance to compete. And there's no guarantee that this young man makes our team. Obviously, the NFL with any case, anything like this happens, the NFL will investigate it and all that stuff. And so we'll see. But from what I know about this young man, I think he'll come in here and do just fine."

Ryan said there was no "gamesmanship" with the Jets involved in the decision.

"I'm not concerned with anybody else's locker room," Ryan said. "I feel great about my locker room, our locker room. So I can tell you that much. But about anybody else's or whatever ... number one, that's not for me to say. It's certainly not fair for me to judge anybody else's. I'm not in there."

Enemkpali's altercation with Smith resulted from a problem over a $600 debt, according to ESPN sources. Smith accepted a $600 plane ticket from Enemkpali to appear at Enemkpali's football camp in Pflugerville, Texas, on July 11, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Problems arose when Smith did not show up for the camp, which took place days after someone close to Smith was killed in a motorcycle crash in Miami, sources said.

After Smith did not attend, Enemkpali demanded Smith refund the $600 he allegedly used to purchase the plane ticket. Smith told Enemkpali he would reimburse him the money, but he had not as of Tuesday morning. Enemkpali confronted Smith about the money on Tuesday, and the confrontation ended in a punch and a broken jaw.

A source told ESPN NFL analyst Ryan Clark that Smith put his finger in Enemkpali's face just before the punch was thrown.

Enemkpali released a statement Tuesday afternoon saying he was sorry for his actions.

"I apologize to the Jets organization, coaches, teammates and fans," Enemkpali said. "Geno and I let our frustration get the best of us, but I should have just walked away from the situation. I deeply regret and apologize for my actions. It was never my intention to harm anyone. I appreciate the opportunity I had with the Jets."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13425499/buffalo-bills-claim-former-ik-enemkpali-new-york-jets-released-punched-geno-smith

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »

I thnk we can safely say that Rex (despite his protests) just IK rolled the Jets....

Together again,
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »

This week hopefully puts some closure on this whole deflate gate bull shit at least for this season. Tomorrow is the last hearing and the judge said he'll decide by the 4th. I figure either side will appeal the decision. Hopefully Brady gets a stay and can play no matter how its ruled through the appeal process. They say appeals can take a long time, so hopefully he plays, season ends and this shit can be decided next off season. I'm sick of it but figure nobody is dropping this shit anytime soon and with appeals I figure the best I can hope for is the football is punted for a long while before a final resolution is made.

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »

Go Steelers!! smoking beer ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2015, 07:20:59 PM »

Go Steelers!! smoking beer ok
I know it's only pre season, so you can't put too much stock in anything. But it sounds like the Steelers D got carved up pretty good by a less than imposing Bills offense. Could mean absolutely nothing, but they have been trending to a more offensive oriented team the last few years. Not the big bad Pitt D that they seemed to roll out every year.

Also, Bryant suspended for 4 games. The marijuana suspensions are a joke. Is he a repeat offender? 4 games seems harsh. Pouncey also out to start the season. No Bell or Blount opening night. Maybe no Brady, though I think he'll play. Good thing the NFL can seemingly do no wrong. Fans could care less who is or isn't playing. They'll tune in regardless.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »

Brady and Goodell met with Judge Berman again today and to no one's surprise, no progress was made on a settlement. The judge did say he'd announce his ruling in the next few days however. BUT, that doesn't mean that this'll all be over. Patriots reporter Tom Curran said on WEEI that he would guess that the chances of the judge ruling in favor of the NFL are more than 50/50. As bad as the NFL has handled things it's tough to argue that they didn't follow the CBA, and this is all about the process at this point. However, since the judge clearly has issues with the way the NFL handled itself through this whole thing, he will grant Brady an injunction allowing him to play while an appeal is heard.

We'll find out soon enough, that this saga is far from over, most likely.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »

Brady and Goodell met with Judge Berman again today and to no one's surprise, no progress was made on a settlement. The judge did say he'd announce his ruling in the next few days however. BUT, that doesn't mean that this'll all be over. Patriots reporter Tom Curran said on WEEI that he would guess that the chances of the judge ruling in favor of the NFL are more than 50/50. As bad as the NFL has handled things it's tough to argue that they didn't follow the CBA, and this is all about the process at this point. However, since the judge clearly has issues with the way the NFL handled itself through this whole thing, he will grant Brady an injunction allowing him to play while an appeal is heard.

There's different legal interpretations of why the judge more strenuously attacked the NFL position.  One of them, and it's one I've heard supported by legal people I know and respect, is that the Judge was attacking the NFL's position precisely because it was the stronger of the two...and he wanted to badger them into settlement.  Apparently, that's a common tactic when a judge really doesn't want to have to make a ruling.

We'll see, I guess, shortly.....

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #219 on: August 31, 2015, 07:12:08 PM »

There's different legal interpretations of why the judge more strenuously attacked the NFL position.  One of them, and it's one I've heard supported by legal people I know and respect, is that the Judge was attacking the NFL's position precisely because it was the stronger of the two...and he wanted to badger them into settlement.  Apparently, that's a common tactic when a judge really doesn't want to have to make a ruling.

We'll see, I guess, shortly.....
I've heard that same theory. Also have heard the opposite, so who knows for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the judge has let the 2 sides know which way he's leaning in hopes that whatever side is on the losing end, will do whatever they can to settle. Problem is, I don't think either side is willing to budge, and both could be willing to appeal the decision and let this drag on even further. Unless the judge has tipped his hand to Brady's team that he's going to rule in support of the NFL and won't grant him an injunction. Then, maybe, they'd be willing to play ball. But I don't think Tom wants to accept any guilt, so that would be hard to do.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: