Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:50:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Richard Fortus Interview To Be Released Monday
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Fortus Interview To Be Released Monday  (Read 79434 times)
mortismurphy
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »

But to answer your question, the record company finances albums (and becomes the default owner of the mechanical copy).

Does it seem like this is always the case?

Your spin is the usual. Lots of assumptions.
An artist makes money and uses it to invest in his art and band. That concept is alien to you for some reason. The reason I assume is, it's Axl and GN'R, so it can't be true. Doesn't fit your view of how things are.

There is no evidence of your assumption being right either. Yet you make claims that it's possible!

Also, I don't think Axl needs to buy concert tickets....  Wink

Here's a photo from Del's Facebook, taken back in Australia in 2013:

/jarmo

The traditional 'default', method is, the record company signs a contract agreeing to finance x amount, for x amount of albums. There are of course exceptions, artists channeling money into their own recordings (usually after a disagreement with the company) - especially with the rise of internet indie artists. You did ask and I can only give the default, prevalent method, of album financing! I can not give some hyper speculative method alien to everybody but W. Axl Rose, ''the Budweiser method''. We do not unfortunately have evidence of Axl's contractual relationship with interscope.

I saw the Alchemy Tour myself. Probably my favourite concert of all time was on that tour.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2015, 12:11:20 PM »

Of course it applies to me, absolutely.

And yet you never call your opinions spins.

Using a simple pie chart to explain these delays, I would have 3 portions :

- musical integrity
- self doubt
- "not wanting to deal with the bullshit of releasing an album" (this one is something of a catch all category)

So considering the first you have some evidence of, what about the rest?

They have either philosophical or (more likely, in my opinion) emotional reasons to not want to concede there might be any doubt or unwillingness on Axl's part to get on with it.  It bothers them to say those things out loud.

I think it bothers some when you make claims like that without having any real information on it. Like you would know, for some unknown reason. There's very little evidence to prove that you do actually know, anything, about it.

It's the same with any know-it-all person.

However, what was keeping the name?  Was that about money or art?  It was about money.  And it was the right move.  The other 2 are dodos that kick themselves every day.

So its not as clear cut as you might suggest.

Simplified spin. Cheesy
It's about keeping what is his. Is there money involved in this business? Yes. Is that the reason why he wanted the name? Not necessarily. It was his name to begin with. It's common sense that you'd want something that's yours.

The traditional 'default', method is, the record company signs a contract agreeing to finance x amount, for x amount of albums. There are of course exceptions, artists channeling money into their own recordings (usually after a disagreement with the company) - especially with the rise of internet indie artists. You did ask and I can only give the default, prevalent method, of album financing! I can not give some hyper speculative method alien to everybody but W. Axl Rose, ''the Budweiser method''. We do not unfortunately have evidence of Axl's contractual relationship with interscope.

Funny you mention disagreement with the record company. Does it sound like something that ever happened with Axl, GN'R and their record company?
You guys are so clever with putting pieces of a puzzle together when there's a negative spin to be had. Yet, the other way around, and suddenly there's zero interest.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:27 PM »

"I don't think there's gonna be any touring soon. We have been working on material. And that sort of starts and stops, but we're still plugging away at it."

I hope the definition of "soon" means "pre-fall or winter" and that we might still get a tour or some show late this year.  Richard was talking about summer tours when this was all discussed.  We all knew that spring/summer was more or less off the table for GNR by looking at all of the side project activity.  This hiatus of sorts was also foretold when that "Axl gave the notice to crew of the upcoming break" stories were running at the end of Vegas.

I just hope we get some shows late 2015.

Otherwise great interview.....nice to hear Richard's thoughts on all of this stuff.

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2015, 12:40:07 PM »

Of course it applies to me, absolutely.

And yet you never call your opinions spins.

If you want to, go ahead.  I'm not going to get all offended. 

Nor pretend that I don't understand the concept.

Using a simple pie chart to explain these delays, I would have 3 portions :

- musical integrity
- self doubt
- "not wanting to deal with the bullshit of releasing an album" (this one is something of a catch all category)

So considering the first you have some evidence of, what about the rest?

I think there is a tremendous of self doubt present, along with putting off dealing with the label because of past problems.

I do not feel either of these have to do with musical integrity, however.  I find that an intellectually dishonest argument.

They have either philosophical or (more likely, in my opinion) emotional reasons to not want to concede there might be any doubt or unwillingness on Axl's part to get on with it.  It bothers them to say those things out loud.

I think it bothers some when you make claims like that without having any real information on it. Like you would know, for some unknown reason. There's very little evidence to prove that you do actually know, anything, about it.

It's the same with any know-it-all person.

None of this is really a counterpoint, I'm afraid.

If anything, its just proof of what I suggested.  You have emotional reasons to not want to have to concede these things might be the case.  As evidenced both in your total lack of addressing the point, and your overall haughty and put upon tone.  A nerve has been touched, it would appear.

I don't have that nerve to touch.  I'm a fan of a guy who makes music I like.  I'm not here claiming to be his surrogate, parent, or all around defender.  My resoning is unencumbered by emotion.

However, what was keeping the name?  Was that about money or art?  It was about money.  And it was the right move.  The other 2 are dodos that kick themselves every day.

So its not as clear cut as you might suggest.

Simplified spin. Cheesy
It's about keeping what is his. Is there money involved in this business? Yes. Is that the reason why he wanted the name? Not necessarily. It was his name to begin with. It's common sense that you'd want something that's yours.

I see it as more common sense the name was worth a mint, and would allow him opportunities he would not have had if he tried calling this whole misadventure "The Axl Rose Band".

It was a business move, and a smart one.  Its OK to say it like that without having to get into the other stuff.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2015, 12:41:04 PM »

Funny you mention disagreement with the record company. Does it sound like something that ever happened with Axl, GN'R and their record company?
You guys are so clever with putting pieces of a puzzle together when there's a negative spin to be had. Yet, the other way around, and suddenly there's zero interest.

Well I do know that the 2006 tour aided the financing of Chinese Democracy in some form, following the withdrawal of the funding. But there is a long jump from that scenario, to some stray Budweiser advert financially underpinning CD2!! You really have to throw your self into jarmo-rationality to grasp at that one.

Maybe Axl should have got Budweiser to sponsor the album: it might have sold more copies.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2015, 01:28:24 PM »

If you want to, go ahead.  I'm not going to get all offended. 

Nor pretend that I don't understand the concept.

I think everybody here knows the negative spin you put on everything. But nobody uses that term. It's not necessary.

I think there is a tremendous of self doubt present

You keep repeating that, but where is the evidence?
Is this something you know for a fact from something somebody said, or is this yet another case of you thinking you know because you like the feeling of it?

If anything, its just proof of what I suggested.  You have emotional reasons to not want to have to concede these things might be the case.  As evidenced both in your total lack of addressing the point, and your overall haughty and put upon tone.  A nerve has been touched, it would appear.

I don't have that nerve to touch.  I'm a fan of a guy who makes music I like.  I'm not here claiming to be his surrogate, parent, or all around defender.  My resoning is unencumbered by emotion.

Nice spin. If you make this kind of negative claims, it's not up to me to prove they are wrong. It's for you to prove they are right.
Yet, in all these posts, you've managed to produce nothing in that regard.

You still seem to live under the fantasy that you somehow have some kind of emotional effect on me. You're like a clown. That's pretty much the extent of it. Sorry. Smiley

So, start by backing up your claims with some evidence instead of coming across like a person who has no clue but likes to throw shit on a wall to see if anything sticks.  ok

I see it as more common sense the name was worth a mint, and would allow him opportunities he would not have had if he tried calling this whole misadventure "The Axl Rose Band".

It was a business move, and a smart one.  Its OK to say it like that without having to get into the other stuff.

You once again put a spin on it.
Which part of owning the name he had before others joined makes no sense to you?

I can't believe you brought this up again. Congrats!

Well I do know that the 2006 tour aided the financing of Chinese Democracy in some form, following the withdrawal of the funding. But there is a long jump from that scenario, to some stray Budweiser advert financially underpinning CD2!! You really have to throw your self into jarmo-rationality to grasp at that one.

So you know that much. Yet you can't even use your free thinking abilities to extend that thinking to something more present. Why not?
What's stopping you? Your negativity? Or is it because I introduced the thought so it can't be possible?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2015, 01:35:06 PM »

David Fricke from Rolling Stone always got Axl and Chinese Democracy.... hihi

And at the end of the album, on the bluntly titled "Prostitute," Rose veers from an almost conversational tenor, over a ticking-bomb shuffle, to five-guitar barrage, orchestral lightning and righteous howl: "Ask yourself/Why I would choose/To prostitute myself/To live with fortune and shame." To him, the long march to Chinese Democracy was not about paranoia and control. It was about saying "I won't" when everyone else insisted, "You must." You may debate whether any rock record is worth that extreme self-indulgence. Actually, the most rock & roll thing about Chinese Democracy is he doesn't care if you do.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/chinese-democracy-20081127
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:52:25 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »

Is this something you know for a fact from something somebody said, or is this yet another case of you thinking you know because you like the feeling of it?

Don't claim to have any evidence.  Never did, actually.

Which is why my posts on the topic are peppered with phrases like "I think"..."it seems to me"..."in my opinion".

Its just my read.  If you don't share it, you don't share it.  Ain't no bad day.

You still seem to live under the fantasy that you somehow have some kind of emotional effect on me.

Me, personally?  No.

But I think certain topics and certain views absolutely affect you emotionally.  There are any number of things you think should not be discussed or are just cases of mean boys being mean.

When they come up, you tend to gloss right over them and start calling the person a clown or telling them to get off a pile of dung.  Or your latest goto, "why are you here?"

Don't ever play poker, Jarmo.  Certainly not for any real stakes.

You once again put a spin on it.
Which part of owning the name he had before others joined makes no sense to you?

I can't believe you brought this up again. Congrats!

Hey, you asked.  I answered.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »

Don't claim to have any evidence.  Never did, actually.

Which is why my posts on the topic are peppered with phrases like "I think"..."it seems to me"..."in my opinion".

Its just my read.  If you don't share it, you don't share it.  Ain't no bad day.

And you're not prepared to share any of what causes you to come to these conclusions? I'm guessing you don't own the mat....

But I think certain topics and certain views absolutely affect you emotionally.  There are any number of things you think should not be discussed or are just cases of mean boys being mean.

No, they don't affect me emotionally. I just laugh at some of the self important theories some come up with. Everybody wants to be special....

I just have a low tolerance for bullshit from people who go to a fan site knowing damn well their views are the opposite of the people posting there.

When they come up, you tend to gloss right over them and start calling the person a clown or telling them to get off a pile of dung.  Or your latest goto, "why are you here?"

This obviously bothers you to no end.  hihi
Free thinking! Coming to conclusions. Cards I've been dealt. Track record. Cheesy

Hey, you asked.  I answered.

I asked, you didn't answer.
What part of legally owning a name that's yours doesn't make sense to you?

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »

And you're not prepared to share any of what causes you to come to these conclusions?

Sure, but you aren't going to like them and its just going to lead to more fighting.

I'm pretty sure we both know you won't consider what I have to say for even one second and you will just get all bent out of shape over it.

What's the point? 

I mean, I'll do it if you want, but.....I mean, aren't you guy that's being going on and on about posting things that aren't going to be well received here?

Are you helping on that front by directly asking for such things? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:06:21 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »

So I missed a few pages of this topic and woke up with a major headache on my couch. 

But from what I read.   Is this right

Axl pays for his current recordings buy doing beer commercial in Brazil?

You know when it's time to release your music?

When you are forced to pay for it, by filming beer commercials in Brazil!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »

So I missed a few pages of this topic and woke up with a major headache on my couch. 

And reading your posts this morning...looks like you had one hell of a night, soldier.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2015, 02:11:20 PM »

And reading your posts this morning...looks like you had one hell of a night, soldier.

I just gave this headache 10 bux to leave and take a cab out of here.   All is good now.  Ha!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »

This obviously bothers you to no end. 

I find it equal parts juvenile and cowardly, if you really want to know the truth.

So yeah, it bothers me in the eye rolling sense, but not in a way that inspires any sort of anger.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2015, 02:31:37 PM »

Sure, but you aren't going to like them and its just going to lead to more fighting.

I'm pretty sure we both know you won't consider what I have to say for even one second and you will just get all bent out of shape over it.

What's the point? 

Blah blah blah. The endgame, to use another one of your cliche terms, is that you know next to nothing about how Axl thinks and what motivates him. There's no shame in admitting it. Just because you want to live in the fantasy that you know things, doesn't mean it's true. And that's fine.
Maybe it's a bit creepy to think that people out there on the Internet think they know a person because they're fans.

I find it equal parts juvenile and cowardly, if you really want to know the truth.

I think your whole act could be described with those two words....

You don't like being questioned? Deal me some other cards! Cheesy

So yeah, it bothers me in the eye rolling sense, but not in a way that inspires any sort of anger.

At least you make me laugh! Cheesy Some eye rolling, but mostly laughs.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:33:09 PM by jarmo » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »

That whole last post was dynamite, Jarmo.  Really added to the discourse.

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #256 on: February 17, 2015, 03:17:12 PM »

Checked into this particular thread and found our daily argument between Jarmo and DX. Nothing ever changes on this site.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #257 on: February 17, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »

I think there is a tremendous of self doubt present

/jarmo

You use this "where is the evidence to back up your opinion" approach often.  But where is yours?  Because you are there, we are supposed to take your opinions as irrefutable facts, such that you don't need to provide a basis for them?  For example:  the name (Guns n Roses) was Axl's to begin with.  Where's your proof for that?  We're just supposed to believe that?  

Also, regarding the self-doubt opinion, Chinese Whispers is replete with interviews from former band members, managers, people that were there, who commented on Axl's fear on completing/releasing this material.  I don't think it's off base to come to that conclusion.  Are we not supposed to believe those (first-hand) accounts, and instead believe your (second hand accounts)? I'm not sure exactly when you started traveling with the band, but I don't think it was when CD was being created in the late 90's/early 00's.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #258 on: February 17, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »

Checked into this particular thread and found our daily argument between Jarmo and DX. Nothing ever changes on this site.

Hey, I resent that.

We take days off.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »

You use this "where is the evidence to back up your opinion" approach often.  But where is yours?  Because you are there, we are supposed to take your opinions as irrefutable facts, such that you don't need to provide a basis for them?  For example:  the name (Guns n Roses) was Axl's to begin with.  Where's your proof for that?  We're just supposed to believe that?  

Also, regarding the self-doubt opinion, Chinese Whispers is replete with interviews from former band members, managers, people that were there, who commented on Axl's fear on completing/releasing this material.  I don't think it's off base to come to that conclusion.  Are we not supposed to believe those (first-hand) accounts, and instead believe your (second hand accounts)? I'm not sure exactly when you started traveling with the band, but I don't think it was when CD was being created in the late 90's/early 00's.

All true.  And just on a baser level, what is the "evidence" of an opinion?

I had already thought Axl was working on a healthy bit of self doubt here.  How could he not be?

But then when you read that one of the producers (I forget which) told him he had *maybe* three good songs in his batch, and he was crushed...it made sense to me.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: