Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Richard Fortus Interview To Be Released Monday
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Fortus Interview To Be Released Monday  (Read 79421 times)
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2015, 02:46:56 PM »

"I don't think there's gonna be any touring soon. We have been working on material. And that sort of starts and stops, but we're still plugging away at it."

I take this as a positive. The touring thing isn't bothering me much at this time. This is confirmation that they have been working on the material, which is good.

The "starts and stops" comment. It's hard to see what context he wants to put that in. It could apply to all the past years since the release of Chinese, or is he talking specifically about the situation since last summer?

It's the "we're still plugging away at it" comment that makes it sound like the new album is an annoying term paper that you don't want to write.  You don't get the feeling that this is anyone's number 1 priority.  It's hard to reconcile that with the fact (per Axl) that the new album is "already recorded"...unless that plan fact has changed too.   

Already recorded does not necessarily mean edited, mixed, mastered or in any way ready for public consumption.

This isn't a hard fact to grasp. Roll Eyes

You understand those things don't take long (e.g. years) to accomplish, right?  Ah yes, the crutch of mixing and mastering...when will that stop being used as an excuse for the inability to release a new album?  In terms of percentages, IMO, it has 0% on the ability to release a new album. 
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2015, 02:49:38 PM »

The guy doing the interview is the one causing the "uncertainties". What are these rumors about the band not existing?? I check the Gn'r community on here and a few other places nearly every day and i've heard no mentions of this & why are people talking about reunions again? Did the RN'R hall of fame not clear that up?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2015, 02:51:58 PM »

But don´t worry. It´s over. We are all packing out bags sooner or later

You should be the first one. Considering you've admitted having no interest in this album you're here arguing about.
Pack your bags and go listen to those old songs that are actually old, and not new songs you think are old.  Cheesy

Meanwhile on the Internet, people hiding behind usernames claim they have a better idea of what musical integrity is than a professional musician does.   hihi

The guy doing the interview is the one causing the "uncertainties". What are these rumors about the band not existing?? I check the Gn'r community on here and a few other places nearly every day and i've heard no mentions of this & why are people talking about reunions again? Did the RN'R hall of fame not clear that up?

I think somewhere in a galaxy far far away, people are assuming that the band doesn't exist because some members are doing other projects at the moment.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »

^^ I'm guessing it was in reference to a lot of the "Do you think Axl is going to retire?" and "We will not be getting any new music ever" stuff some fans say.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2015, 02:55:20 PM »

Meanwhile on the Internet, people hiding behind usernames claim they have a better idea of what musical integrity is than a professional musician does.  

Is it a zero sum game though?

Do you not think it possible he could just have integrity in spades, but, still need a kick in the ass from time to time?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »

You'd get a far better interview if you actually knew your stuff. The Appetite for Democracy DVD is still relatively new why not plug that. It's a quality product.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »

Why are people freaking out?  Isn't "we're not touring anytime soon" good news?  This could mean Axl is possibly more focused on an album right now.  Yes, there's a side to me that thinks we might never get new music ever again (because of Axl's perfectionism/integrity/fears/..whatever you want to call it)....but not touring to me, is a good thing because it indicates focus elsewhere.  And hopefully that focus is on a new album or two. 

Does anyone remember how much they toured right before Chinese came out?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »

Well Mb the guy doing the interview was just using common sense.  He looks at a band where all the other members of the band are out touring, performing and writing for other bands.  He sees a band that hasn't released any music recently, other than a live concert blue ray.   So it's a fair question

And Richard gave a fair answer.   He could of easily said they are not really a band, it's all Axl.  But nope.  I like what he said

What I would of liked the interviewer to ask, when Richard said they work on stuff on and off.  He should of asked, like what kinda stuff?  New material or stuff you have had in the can for years?

Richard was right, guns have toured lots and I have been lucky enough to see them many times.   Or they have been lucky enough to have me attend there shows many times, however you want to look at it. 

But what I don't like

Is as a fan I feel bad not knowing what my favourite band is up too, but just imagine you are a band member and don't have a clue what the band is up too

I can't stand how a few months ago, we have DJ saying they are going to do quiet a bit of touring in 2015    Then we have Richard, saying pretty much the opposite   It's mind blowing how the band can't be on the same page with these things.  You can say plans change.  And they do. But I don't think plans where ever made to change!   If you just have a idea or one day just think you want to do something, doesn't make it s plan

Richard sure comes off good in these interviews though.  Does he have to most knowledge out of all the band members?   It seems that way, but who knows.  Mb just because he comes off better, as opposed to DJ I just want to believe Richard more.  Both could be totally in the dark when it comes to guns n roses plans and both be blowing smoke up my butt

Eventually you have to say the material is good enough to release.  I am a huge fan of the artistic side of Axl, his song writing and his ability to carry on the guns n Roses name, in a way that only he could do right

However, the dude needs to work around peers that also have an equal say in the product.   He works over and over again on stuff, that probably is done or is very close and should be released.  Then move on to the next piece of work.  As like what a editor would do, peers with equal controlling say could say, ok enough is enough.  Let's get this out.   If you look back at history Axls greatest work is when he had this type of relationship in the band.  Damn I hate to say it, but if the band didn't have this type of relationship.   Axl might still be working on November Rain to this very day!  Trying to get this one flute part sounding just right.....
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »

Why are people freaking out?  Isn't "we're not touring anytime soon" good news?  This could mean Axl is possibly more focused on an album right now. 

Could be.  And if that's the case, its awesome.

But I think two things caught people a little off guard.

The first is that its hard to reconcile how one member of the band can say he expects lots of touring, and another guy to say they don't expect any.  Its not only more than a bit of a discrepancy, it feeds in to the already existing notion that these guys have no idea what is going on in their own band.  That they say stuff just to say it.  YOu never know who to believe.

The bit about still working on the material.  What exactly does that mean?  If in going on a decade plus, you don't have 12-14 songs to release, that's troubling.  

I think it would have gone over better if he alluded that they were done with that portion.  Because what the hell are you still working on at this point?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »

Do you not think it possible he could just have integrity in spades, but, still need a kick in the ass from time to time?

I thought a guy like yourself who likes to put himself on a pedestal of GN'R knowledge and understanding, would know better than to ask that.
Trying to force Axl into doing stuff. Yeah, that's a recipe for instant success.  Roll Eyes

The first is that its hard to reconcile how one member of the band can say he expects lots of touring, and another guy to say they don't expect any.  Its not only more than a bit of a discrepancy, it feeds in to the already existing notion that these guys have no idea what is going on in their own band.

Dj talked about that, last year (2014).

Using your Jump To Conclusions mat, is it possible something happened between then and now?

Here's an uncomfortable question for all those opposing the musical integrity comment: If you disagree with what Richard said and think Axl doesn't have any musical integrity, why are you trolling a GN'R fan site? This is the Internet. I'm sure you can find plenty of sites that share your personal opinion where you can post until the cows come home about what you don't like about Axl and GN'R. But coming to a GN'R fan site and question this. Get out of here! Seriously...

/jarmo

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:37:24 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2015, 04:37:46 PM »

The first is that its hard to reconcile how one member of the band can say he expects lots of touring, and another guy to say they don't expect any.  Its not only more than a bit of a discrepancy, it feeds in to the already existing notion that these guys have no idea what is going on in their own band.

Using your Jump To Conclusions mat, is it possible something happened between then and now?

/jarmo

He talked about it 4 1/2 months ago...it wasn't like a full year had passed.  That's a short timeframe for the message to change so dramatically.  Why the message changed is what's really important.  So far, we know "something happened." 
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »

Why are people freaking out?  Isn't "we're not touring anytime soon" good news?  This could mean Axl is possibly more focused on an album right now. 

The first is that its hard to reconcile how one member of the band can say he expects lots of touring, and another guy to say they don't expect any.  Its not only more than a bit of a discrepancy, it feeds in to the already existing notion that these guys have no idea what is going on in their own band.  That they say stuff just to say it.  YOu never know who to believe.

The bit about still working on the material.  What exactly does that mean?  If in going on a decade plus, you don't have 12-14 songs to release, that's troubling.  

I think it would have gone over better if he alluded that they were done with that portion.  Because what the hell are you still working on at this point?

Duh, mixing and mastering silly...don't you know how long that takes (correction: don't you know how long that takes in Guns n Roses)?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »

He talked about it 4 1/2 months ago...it wasn't like a full year had passed.  That's a short timeframe for the message to change so dramatically.  Why the message changed is what's really important.  So far, we know "something happened." 

Not really. You could have some lose plans and then realize, it's not gonna work and you scrap those plans.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »

I thought a guy like yourself who likes to put himself on a pedestal of GN'R knowledge and understanding, would know better than to ask that.
Trying to force Axl into doing stuff. Yeah, that's a recipe for instant success.  Roll Eyes

Not an answer.

Definite points for the 'jump to conclusions mat' reference.  Nice.

As for thinking something happened, I don't know I think that, personally.  I find it more likely DJ just threw out his usual bit of unverifiable sunshine that never pans out.  I remember even at the time people were rolling their eyes and saying the next thing DJ claimed that panned out would be news.

If anything Richard is more willing to be honest with us and not just throw out a best case scenario he has no idea will even pan out, as DJ seems to do rather often.

Here's an uncomfortable question for all those opposing the musical integrity comment: If you disagree with what Richard said and think Axl doesn't have any musical integrity, why are you trolling a GN'R fan site? This is the Internet. I'm sure you can find plenty of sites that share your personal opinion where you can post until the cows come home about what you don't like about Axl and GN'R. But coming to a GN'R fan site and question this. Get out of here! Seriously...

I think this is an extreme position shared by very, very few.  Some, yes, but not many.

Its not that we discount the integrity bit of all this.  But we do sort of roll our eyes when you claim it like its diplomatic immunity or some shit.  And once you invoke it, we should just stop talking.  World doesn't work that way.

We can accept the concerns about musical integrity, but not so much so that its 100% of the equation.  And even respecting the musical ingreity bit of it, there is still room for some good old fashioned "get on with it already" type sentiment.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2015, 04:52:58 PM »

Ginger, mixing can be a very tedious, long process ....longer than the actual recording. Mastering is a much shorter process.  ok
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:55:01 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »

Duh, mixing and mastering silly...don't you know how long that takes (correction: don't you know how long that takes in Guns n Roses)?

Depends.

I can often go from an expert on anything and everything that happens to a guy that doesn't know shit about shit, sometimes within the same post.

I'd explain it, but I don't hand out the grades.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2015, 04:56:07 PM »

Ginger, mixing can be a very tedious, long process ....longer than the actual recording. Mastering is a much shorter process.  ok

But neither can be started if they are still working on 10 plus year old songs.

So however long it takes, we aren't even at the starter's gun yet.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »

Mixing can be a very tedious, long process ....longer than the actual recording.

Especially if the recordings are as complex as Chinese was.

A bit simpler with the standard two-guitar, bass, vocals and drums set-up.

Mastering as you said, usually done in a couple of weeks.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »

Well, Ive always thought DJ gets ahead of himself.  He's the newest to the band and just hasn't quit figured out how Axl works.  Plans could have very well been that they are focusing on album first, then touring.  DJ probably thinks that means album within a few months and then a bunch of touring....so he mentions they will be touring a bunch next year.  However, he doesn't fully understand just yet how Axl operates.  Focusing on album before touring, could take some time in Axls world.  So yeah, the plans could very well be to tour a bunch after a new album.  Problem is, DJ just doesn't understand how long that process could take.

In terms of what they are working on, I'm not going to speculate.  I don't fully understand what the process is when putting out an album.  I would think that they could have lots of songs to choose from, but it still takes some time to put them on an album.  I don't think we've ever been told they have a bunch of songs that are completely "done"??

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2015, 05:00:36 PM »

But neither can be started if they are still working on 10 plus year old songs.

So however long it takes, we aren't even at the starter's gun yet.

Well, that's the question we don't have the answer to. "Where are they in the process?"

Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: