Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:40:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Let's vote "Guns N' Roses" for Super Bowl 2016
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's vote "Guns N' Roses" for Super Bowl 2016  (Read 14622 times)
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »

The halftime show has been sponsored by Pepsi for a while now.  Pepsi will only use artists who represent their brand and Axl Rose/GNR are most definitely not that.  To give you an idea of who competitors use as their spokespeople Diet Coke has a deal with Taylor Swift.  As long as Pepsi is sponsoring that halftime show you should get used to seeing the Timberlakes, Spears, Aguileras, Swifts and Beyonces of the world performing. 
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »

Which is ironic considering I don't think of those artists as the kind of music the average NFL fan listens to.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »

Which is ironic considering I don't think of those artists as the kind of music the average NFL fan listens to.  hihi

That is not their target.

Their target is people at SB parties, for whom this might be the only football game they see all year.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »

Of course. That's because it's an event.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »

Their target is people at SB parties, for whom this might be the only football game they see all year.

They want the wives and girlfriends to watch the game because of halftime, and it works. I wouldn't expect an older rock band to get the gig for the foreseeable future.

it really doesn't matter tho... the super bowl has become an american holiday. Everybody watches it ... whether its for the game, just the nature of the event, the box pools, the halftime show or even just the commercials.

The season should be pushed back so that super bowl falls the day before President's Day.. so everybody is off.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 01:31:57 PM »

I voted for Guns.

I think like the article mentions that its going to include a medley of top performers instead of just one artist getting top billing.  Garth is huge but seems a little boring for this type of show.  I'd like to see huge hard rock bands with stadium anthems like Guns, AC/DC, Ozzy and Queen.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »

Voted. I can't see this ever happening though. Do you think the producers of the Super Bowl would put the "worlds most dangerous band" at halftime? Doubt it. They usually go for the "safe" choice.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 02:07:40 PM »

I believe you get 12 minutes.  And its run like a military operation.  They do not fuck around.

It would have to be some medley.  I wonder how that would be structured.  People only tend to do big hits, which I have to assume is also the network position.  Would Axl be terribly interested in doing a medley of classic line-up songs?

IDK...the Superbowl already was pretty much a GnR medley. I heard WTTJ twice, YCBM once, and Paradise City once.  I THINK they came back from commercial and the SCOM solo was finishing and cutting off..but I'm not as sure on that one.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »

Katy Perry wasn't terrible...

The NFL had a brutal year... so they were certainly in the right going with somebody with no jail record  Smiley

I thought she was pretty good, actually. Light, fun, good selection of her hits.  She was relatively family friendly while still bringing the sex appeal, and the crowd was into it.  And...she put on a Katy Perry show.  My wife is a HUGE fan...I've seen Katy in concert a bunch of times with her (and she's seen GnR with me).  Lots of color, sorta quirky and weird..that's her shows in a nutshell.  The only difference was the lip synching (and she did sing SOME of it live...just not most/all of it). So, if you don't like her act/music....and I'm guessing GnR fans are not wholly in her wheelhouse, by and large...you were probably not going to love the show.

I have to admit, I marked out huge for the Lenny Kravits duet.  I would buy that single.....

And..the ratings were gang busters. Very rarely does the rating on the half time show GO UP from the end of the 2nd quarter.  This one did.  So..like her or not..she got eyeballs, which is the name of the game for the NFL.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »

Keep in mind, you are also flat out required to do press for this thing.  NFL is totally inflexible on that.

The Katy Perry Presser was completely hilarious (and also lightweight...no real tough questions allowed).  At one point she answered a question with "I'm just here so I don't get fined" (spoofing on Lynch, obviously).

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 03:36:06 PM »

I'm reminded of the Ramones song "I'm Against It".  To me, and I think a lot of people, rock n' roll evokes feelings of rebellion, about going against a greater power.  Although we often don't exactly know the "it" that we're "against", I'm pretty sure that the corporate behemoth that is the NFL and its sponsors falls somewhere in the vicinity of "it".  So, no, I don't want my favorite band performing in the Super Bowl. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »

Keep in mind, you are also flat out required to do press for this thing.  NFL is totally inflexible on that.

The Katy Perry Presser was completely hilarious (and also lightweight...no real tough questions allowed).  At one point she answered a question with "I'm just here so I don't get fined" (spoofing on Lynch, obviously).

But is that our man though?

When he was on Jimmy Kimmel, I had seen more laid back people in POW videos.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »

Guns would not work in a halftime show   

In a pregame show act they would be just fine. 

The only way guns would work for half time would be that silly big R word, were they play there hits that people haven't seen the band play in decades and with serious promotion from the band to promote a tour and new music

A non classic hit played during the pre show would be nice from the current line up

I hope Katy perry is back again next year.   I liked her
Princess Leia
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »

And for people watching on t.v. You have families watching and  they want teens to watch the half time show and commercials.

Anyway I?m not sure I want Axl there. I mean I don?t to see him sharing the stage with Iggy Azalea or some other lame ass pop diva. I remember when Aerosmith share the stage with Britney several years ago.    Roll Eyes
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »

If they were to play, I'd rather they didn't share the stage with anybody.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »

And for people watching on t.v. You have families watching and  they want teens to watch the half time show and commercials.

Anyway I?m not sure I want Axl there. I mean I don?t to see him sharing the stage with Iggy Azalea or some other lame ass pop diva. I remember when Aerosmith share the stage with Britney several years ago.    Roll Eyes

Ya it becomes a fake attempt to market the show to both mom and dad both sister and brother and the rock band almost comes off as sell outs for doing it

However if guns n roses was to share the stage with say, Ariana Grande.   I would be one happy man. 
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »

I just voted for GNR. I was quite surprised that they didn't get Bon Jovi to do the Super Bowl last year. It was such an obvious choice as well since the Super Bowl was in  JERSEY!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:22:02 PM by draguns » Logged
oldfan
Rocker

aka.... hrmmmmm

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »

ok voted

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:35 PM »

I just voted for GNR. I was quite surprised that they didn't get Bon Jovi to do the Super Bowl last year. It was such an obvious choice as well since the Super Bowl was in  JERSEY!

Just shows that the NFl has both common sence and taste
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »

If they were to play, I'd rather they didn't share the stage with anybody.

That will never happen.

While I would love to see GNR on stage at the Super Bowl, the only way that would happen in my opinion, would be as a part of a multi-artist team. 
Kinda like how they did it this year.
Ya put a hot piece o' ass like Perry, Swift, or Spears out there to headline...bring out a legendary rocker like a Tyler or a Rose, or a Vedder, etc., and a dumb-ass hip-hop/rap artist.
It hits just about every demographic.
Everyone goes home happy.
I just don't see it ever happening..but damn, wouldn't it be cool?

I also think the most realistic NFL venture GNR could pursue would be a Thanksgiving gig in Detroit, or an Opening Night kick-off concert in early September.
Those are big audiences.
You'd think after all these years of using WTTJ at the stadiums and in their telecasts, the NFL would throw an invite out there to Axl.

...and like Pilferk mentioned, you can always ask your friends, "What song was playing right up to the opening kick-off of Super Bowl XLIX?"
Jungle baby.  Jungle.   Cool

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: